Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm preparing to sr for Giratina was wondering what's the best way to get Final Gambit on Smeargle?
I have a better question. Do you think that using a Fighting type move on a Ghost will be useful? :P

Edit: Forgot about Soak... X(

Last edited:
I have a better question. Do you think that using a Fighting type move on a Ghost will be useful? :P
The OP actually suggests using a Smeargle with Soak and Final Gambit on Giratina.
I'm preparing to sr for Giratina was wondering what's the best way to get Final Gambit on Smeargle?
I'm new here so I'm not entirely sure what the best way would be, but my guess would be either ordering a Magnemite Croquette at the Mauville Food Court and sending out the Smeargle and something that knows Final Gambit against one of the trainers with a Ghost type, or ordering the Mauville Ramen Bowl and sending out those two plus a Ghost of your own to use Final Gambit on. Or otherwise finding a double or triple battle in which you can use Final Gambit on a Ghost type.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Sketch still work against a sleeping target? I know that's how I used to get my Smeargle to learn moves like Explosion

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
So with VGC2016 coming up, do we need more calculations? I mean, I don't have any calculations for +Spe Deoxys or -Spe Groudon, for instance. Let me know what we might need and I'll add that. :)

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
So with VGC2016 coming up, do we need more calculations? I mean, I don't have any calculations for +Spe Deoxys or -Spe Groudon, for instance. Let me know what we might need and I'll add that. :)
-Spe Dialga and Palkia are pretty common. Also +Spe Giratina has seen some use. It's not relevant this year but -Spe Heatran was fairly common in vgc 15 which is now battle spot doubles.

Deoxys isn't necessary as that's still banned.

I'm a little new to this method, but when I read the guide, it seems kinda daunting...I mean, doesn't it seem like it would take a long time to get all those Staraptors and Smeargles exactly?

I'm a little new to this method, but when I read the guide, it seems kinda daunting...I mean, doesn't it seem like it would take a long time to get all those Staraptors and Smeargles exactly?
No that's the point. The breeding mechanic changes in Gen 6 means getting perfect pokemon is easy. So getting perfect HP & Speed is no trouble.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can go to the Wi-Fi forum's Simple Request thread and either ask for the "SRing Staraptor + Smeargle combo" or get yourself the necessary Ditto to ease the breeding of your own Pokemon. You also don't need to use those exact Pokemon, you could breed and/or train anything you want to fit the stat specifications (as long as something has Final Gambit for checking the HP).

I agree that the thought of breeding and training a couple Pokemon specifically for catching one Pokemon can be off-putting, but the amount of time saved on the actual SRing is well worth it!

edit @ below: that's why I didn't tell him to bother you ;)

Last edited:

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
You can go to the Wi-Fi forum's Simple Request thread and either ask for the "SRing Staraptor + Smeargle combo" or get yourself the necessary Ditto to ease the breeding of your own Pokemon. You also don't need to use those exact Pokemon, you could breed and/or train anything you want to fit the stat specifications (as long as something has Final Gambit for checking the HP).

I agree that the thought of breeding and training a couple Pokemon specifically for catching one Pokemon can be off-putting, but the amount of time saved on the actual SRing is well worth it!
And that's why we need some kind of giveaway, because I don't have enough time to trade them to everyone. :p

Wow, after finding this guide yesterday, I decided to try SRing a Landorus (it was one of the few legendaries I haven't caught yet) today and I managed to snag me a 31/31/31/0/31/31 Adamant! By the way, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but wouldn't having the Final Gambit user have 1 more speed than the target help when going for a neutral nature? That's what I did to rule out any of the speed boosting natures should sync fail.

Wow, after finding this guide yesterday, I decided to try SRing a Landorus (it was one of the few legendaries I haven't caught yet) today and I managed to snag me a 31/31/31/0/31/31 Adamant! By the way, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but wouldn't having the Final Gambit user have 1 more speed than the target help when going for a neutral nature? That's what I did to rule out any of the speed boosting natures should sync fail.
Yes but it's not always feasible.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but a more time-efficient route for Regigigas would be to have Ralts use Memento (which it gets as an egg move), at which point Smeargle (or some other HP checker) can come in with the correct 1-below-max-HP stat and either Endeavor or Final Gambit. :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but a more time-efficient route for Regigigas would be to have Ralts use Memento (which it gets as an egg move), at which point Smeargle (or some other HP checker) can come in with the correct 1-below-max-HP stat and either Endeavor or Final Gambit. :)
Endeavor won't bring Regigigas to 1 HP for ideal catching, and you want to keep the Smeargle alive to keep Regigigas asleep. (thus no Final Gambit) Regigigas requires you to have Regirock, Regice, and Registeel in your party, so you won't have the room for a second Smeargle (or another Pokemon to do the HP check, usually Staraptor) if you want to be time efficient and reserve the sixth slot for checking Regigigas' stats once you've caught it. (provided it passes the Speed and HP checks)

I also don't know if using Memento would be any faster, since you'll still be saddled with an animation either way, and both may be about as long. (though I think the "recall" animation is faster as you avoid the "Use next Pokemon?" question upon Ralts fainting as well)

Endeavor won't bring Regigigas to 1 HP for ideal catching, and you want to keep the Smeargle alive to keep Regigigas asleep. (thus no Final Gambit) Regigigas requires you to have Regirock, Regice, and Registeel in your party, so you won't have the room for a second Smeargle (or another Pokemon to do the HP check, usually Staraptor) if you want to be time efficient and reserve the sixth slot for checking Regigigas' stats once you've caught it. (provided it passes the Speed and HP checks)

I also don't know if using Memento would be any faster, since you'll still be saddled with an animation either way, and both may be about as long. (though I think the "recall" animation is faster as you avoid the "Use next Pokemon?" question upon Ralts fainting as well)
Naturally, final Gambit would be the better option of the two anyway for that exact reason, but usually (although not in this case) it will work in its place- at least for the purposes of HP checking. If you're SRing, you probably don't want to have your animations on anyway as they will add massive amounts of time to the project. The purpose of using Memento is to check Speed (helping eliminate as many unneccesary stat checks as possible). So in the case of Regigigas you won't actually be adding any teamslots, you'll just be catching it either without the aid of sleep (which won't matter if you're Master Balling) or reviving Smeargle (only when it does happen to pass both checks) if you do want sleep.

After trying several times with the instructions for Regigigas I can most likely say that the calcs need work bad. What I mean by this is...

I have EV trained my Smeargle with the EVs stated in the calcs as well as have it at the right level: they are nothing like what is stated on the guide (my Smeargle has 304 | xx | 180 | xx | 122 | 181 with EVs and 31 IVs taken into account). I doubt this is much of an impact (though I wonder if the Ralts check really works if Slow Start's stat drop automatically takes effect or not), but the stated level for Smeargle to be at, 97, makes the Seismic Toss check impossible as two Seismic Tosses would deal a total of 194 HP, which knocks out Regigigas even with 31 IV in HP.

Just thought I would point this out. I know Regigigas isn't a great Legendary, but I still want to catch a good one simply because it's one of my favs.

After trying several times with the instructions for Regigigas I can most likely say that the calcs need work bad. What I mean by this is...

I have EV trained my Smeargle with the EVs stated in the calcs as well as have it at the right level: they are nothing like what is stated on the guide (my Smeargle has 304 | xx | 180 | xx | 122 | 181 with EVs and 31 IVs taken into account). I doubt this is much of an impact (though I wonder if the Ralts check really works if Slow Start's stat drop automatically takes effect or not), but the stated level for Smeargle to be at, 97, makes the Seismic Toss check impossible as two Seismic Tosses would deal a total of 194 HP, which knocks out Regigigas even with 31 IV in HP.

Just thought I would point this out. I know Regigigas isn't a great Legendary, but I still want to catch a good one simply because it's one of my favs.
It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but the proper level for Smeargle is 92 vs. Regigigas.

Sorry for the double post, but after some testing I managed to find the appropriate way to test Regigigas for 31 IV HP and Speed. I'll go ahead and post the updated version.

When aiming for Neutral Speed nature:
Ralts
Level: 49
Nature: Your Desired Nature (I pick Adamant)
Ability: Synchronize
IV: 31 Spe
EV: None
Stats at 49: 59 Spe
Moves: Non-Status/Damaging Move (Calm Mind is an example)

Smeargle:
Level: 92
Nature: Impish
IV: 31 | xx | 31 | xx | 31 | 31
EV: 252 | xx | 252 | xx | xx | 4
Stats at 92: 289 | xx | 170 | xx | 116 | 172
Moves: Spore | Surf | Seismic Toss | Recover
Note: Surf is required to get to Island Cave as none of the other Pokemon in your team can learn it. Rock Polish isn't needed anyway as Smeargle outspeeds Regigigas regardless of its Speed stat.
How to capture Regigigas:
Start with your synchronizer Ralts. Use a non-status/damaging move (Calm Mind for example). If Ralts goes first, reset. If Regigigas goes first, confirmed 31 IV in Speed or a +Spe nature. Note that Regigigas will use Wide Guard at times. If it does, use Calm Mind again. If it by some chance uses it over and over again until Slow Start wears off, reset. Switch to Smeargle. Regigigas will have 185 HP, if he has 31IV in HP. Do Seismic Toss twice. If Regigigas faints, reset. If Regigigas survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Use Spore to keep it asleep.
If someone could take this info and update it on the front page, that would be great. Note that this HAS been tested and confirmed by my own doing.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sorry for the double post, but after some testing I managed to find the appropriate way to test Regigigas for 31 IV HP and Speed. I'll go ahead and post the updated version.

If someone could take this info and update it on the front page, that would be great. Note that this HAS been tested and confirmed by my own doing.
You could probably speed things up by using a Memento Ralts.

Why did you remove the air ballon from the strategy? Regigigas has Slow Start which is anounced at the start of the battle. Air balloon is also anounced at the start of battle. The order by which these are anounced is speed. So if Slowstart appears before ralts' air balloon then regigigas has equal or greater speed than ralts... So there's your speed check. No need to check speed by using a move especially since Regigigas can use Wide Guard.

This is the most efficient way to speed check.

Last edited:
Why did you remove the air ballon from the strategy? Regigigas has Slow Start which is anounced at the start of the battle. Air balloon is also anounced at the start of battle. The order by which these are anounced is speed. So if Slowstart appears before ralts' air balloon then regigigas has equal or greater speed than ralts... So there's your speed check. No need to check speed by using a move especially since Regigigas can use Wide Guard.

This is the most efficient way to speed check.
Because I tested this and it doesn't work. I equipped Air Balloon and Slow Start always goes first, yet when I used a move Ralts went first at times. Basically the Air Balloon check doesn't do like it's supposed to.

Because I tested this and it doesn't work. I equipped Air Balloon and Slow Start always goes first, yet when I used a move Ralts went first at times. Basically the Air Balloon check doesn't do like it's supposed to.
Eh that sounds like the issue here is that the stat drops from Slow Start are applied after the ability is shown. Have you tried to check the speed using a Pokemon with a speed of 119 for a neutral speed nature?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)