Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

Eh that sounds like the issue here is that the stat drops from Slow Start are applied after the ability is shown. Have you tried to check the speed using a Pokemon with a speed of 119 for a neutral speed nature?
I have not, but it'll be awhile before I make another attempt because I managed to score a 5 perfect IV plus 28/29 IV Regigigas with Adament nature.

Eh, I wonder... will it be quicker if I just throw a Master Ball to a legendary and directly confirm it or will the guide actually make it quicker as one knows when to reset quicker? And how long does a resetting cycle in this guide for say, a Zapdos in X, will be, compared to Master Ball? Since... I admit catching animation is pretty long too....

It took me around 3 hours on train to get my perfect Latios in AS (Eon Ticket), with Master Ball and memorizing max stats, and apparently that was lucky enough. This seems to be neat, though, I want to try catching Zapdos one day with Quick Ball, and indeed knowing when to reset earlier can save frustrations.

Eh, I wonder... will it be quicker if I just throw a Master Ball to a legendary and directly confirm it or will the guide actually make it quicker as one knows when to reset quicker? And how long does a resetting cycle in this guide for say, a Zapdos in X, will be, compared to Master Ball? Since... I admit catching animation is pretty long too....

It took me around 3 hours on train to get my perfect Latios in AS (Eon Ticket), with Master Ball and memorizing max stats, and apparently that was lucky enough. This seems to be neat, though, I want to try catching Zapdos one day with Quick Ball, and indeed knowing when to reset earlier can save frustrations.

The purpose of this guide is so that people dont waste enormous amounts of time catching EVERY sub optimal legendary the game throws at them. So no, just throwing master balls is not faster, it is incredibly inefficient.

The purpose of this guide is so that people dont waste enormous amounts of time catching EVERY sub optimal legendary the game throws at them. So no, just throwing master balls is not faster, it is incredibly inefficient.
I see, I... wanted to compare which is quicker when I'm to catch one legendary at a time. I just wanted to know for one encounter, which is more time-efficient. Either way, yes, I should try this too. It does seem more efficient as one doesn't always need to undergo the long catching animation in each reset, so maybe it is also efficient to time... although then I have to resort to basic Ball when it seems ideal....

Still, it is neat thread. It gives good idea when I want to really go to catch a good Zapdos in Quick Ball.

I see, I... wanted to compare which is quicker when I'm to catch one legendary at a time. I just wanted to know for one encounter, which is more time-efficient. Either way, yes, I should try this too. It does seem more efficient as one doesn't always need to undergo the long catching animation in each reset, so maybe it is also efficient to time... although then I have to resort to basic Ball when it seems ideal....

Still, it is neat thread. It gives good idea when I want to really go to catch a good Zapdos in Quick Ball.
Yes the only downside is that this thread hasn't been updated and there's more effective ways to SRing certain pokemon... like Zapdos.

There's a super quick way to check the speed of pokemon with abilities like pressure. You can check that method in this post:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/soft-resetting-guide-pokémon-xy-and-oras.3523818/page-7#post-6015906
I suggest you read the comments after that or ask if you have any doubts.

Yes the only downside is that this thread hasn't been updated and there's more effective ways to SRing certain pokemon... like Zapdos.

There's a super quick way to check the speed of pokemon with abilities like pressure. You can check that method in this post:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/soft-resetting-guide-pokémon-xy-and-oras.3523818/page-7#post-6015906
I suggest you read the comments after that or ask if you have any doubts.
This is even more amazing. This saves time more with knowing quicker when to reset. I should remember this when I get to do it again. Thanks!

I'll just need to find suitable Pokemon to set up the expedition team, though, but still....

Just a question, how do you even get a level 51-ish staraptor with final gambit when staraptor learns it at level 57? It's also not listed as an egg move/tutor move/TM in any resource I can find.

Edit:

Ok I got it, I shouldn't have evolved my starly. Dang! That's worth noting.

Just a question, how do you even get a level 51-ish staraptor with final gambit when staraptor learns it at level 57? It's also not listed as an egg move/tutor move/TM in any resource I can find.

Edit:

Ok I got it, I shouldn't have evolved my starly. Dang! That's worth noting.
You can also breed two Starly (or Staravia/Staraptor) that know the move together to have it available on the offspring at level 1, should you want to use one at a lower level than when it would learn the move by level up.

Staraptor info for Giratina seems to be missing.
I can figure it out by myself, but just wanted to mention this :) (even made this account just for that XD)

Great guide, many thanks!

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Staraptor info for Giratina seems to be missing.
I can figure it out by myself, but just wanted to mention this :) (even made this account just for that XD)

Great guide, many thanks!
Since Giratina is a Ghost type, you can't use Final Gambit. Just click the Hide button below Giratina.

Since Giratina is a Ghost type, you can't use Final Gambit. Just click the Hide button below Giratina.
You can, you just have to use Soak first, then it changes to a Water type, Final Gambit can hit that.
I always use Soak to hit False Swipe on Ghost types.

You can, you just have to use Soak first, then it changes to a Water type, Final Gambit can hit that.
Staraptor can't learn Soak, though. Smeargle can Sketch all the needed moves to do the Speed and HP test, while a second Smeargle comes in after, provided the Giratina has passed both tests, to ensure it remains asleep as you throw balls at it.

Buckert

Staraptor can't learn Soak, though. Smeargle can Sketch all the needed moves to do the Speed and HP test, while a second Smeargle comes in after, provided the Giratina has passed both tests, to ensure it remains asleep as you throw balls at it.
And that's why you had to click on the Hide button underneath Giratina. :)

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thanks so much for the guide! Currently resetting for Thundurus. I can't get the Dex entry beforehand but I haven't obtained the National Dex yet! >:)
(Also, HP Ice is a nightmare.)

Thanks so much for the guide! Currently resetting for Thundurus. I can't get the Dex entry beforehand but I haven't obtained the National Dex yet! >:)
(Also, HP Ice is a nightmare.)
This thread isn't updated. The most efficient way to test thundurus is sableye. Check this post http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/soft-resetting-guide-pokémon-xy-and-oras.3523818/page-7#post-6004897
and the ones before it to see a better way to chekc speed and HP...

Thundurus has 2 priority moves and you will have a hard time checking speed if you use staraptor+smeargle

Buckert

This thread isn't updated. The most efficient way to test thundurus is sableye. Check this post http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/soft-resetting-guide-pokémon-xy-and-oras.3523818/page-7#post-6004897
and the ones before it to see a better way to chekc speed and HP...

Thundurus has 2 priority moves and you will have a hard time checking speed if you use staraptor+smeargle
Yeah I can't edit the first 2 posts anymore.. Also, this thread is also meant to discuss all the options. :) thanks for contributing by the way!

If a moderator can check out why I can't edit the posts anymore, that'd be great! Need to fix some tiny errors and add more info.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah I can't edit the first 2 posts anymore.. Also, this thread is also meant to discuss all the options. :) thanks for contributing by the way!

If a moderator can check out why I can't edit the posts anymore, that'd be great! Need to fix some tiny errors and add more info.
Looks like I can edit it, if need be. Just write up a post with the paragraphs to be put in and/or replaced, and I can add it to the OP.

You could also aim to make this guide an article, cant say was aiming at making an updated SR guide in the articles and letters subforum but he doesn't seem to be working on that anymore so maybe you could try to complete it. He was partially basing his guide on yours anyway and maybe you two can share credit for it in the end.

Buckert

You could also aim to make this guide an article, cant say was aiming at making an updated SR guide in the articles and letters subforum but he doesn't seem to be working on that anymore so maybe you could try to complete it. He was partially basing his guide on yours anyway and maybe you two can share credit for it in the end.
That would be amazing! cant say if you read this, please contact me. I'd like to help out with that article.

I bought a copy of X recently and started resetting for a Timid Xerneas. The method I'm using seems to cut down the time for going through resets considerably compared to other resets I've done, and I haven't seen this posted anywhere. Here's what I've been doing so far:

Synchroniser: Anything with the desired nature
Speed checker: Smeargle 1 point below Xerneas holding an air balloon, and knowing spore/rock polish/recover.
HP checker: Staraptor with final gambit and total HP of 200 (1 less than 30/31 IV Xerneas).

Xerneas is an annoying one at first as there is a cut-scene to watch. You need to run/faint xerneas if you don't get what you're after first time round.

Initial setup:
- Fainted synch in front.
- Smeargle enters first to check speed (see below).
- Staraptor uses final gambit to check HP.
- Unless it's what you're looking for after following the general process below (which it probably isn't), faint/run from xerneas. You'll then get a message saying it wants to help you. At this point, SAVE.

Once you've saved and have the legendary in front of you, the general process is as follows:
IF fairy aura activates before the air balloon message on smeargle, 30/31 IV in speed confirmed.
IF fairy auta activates second, speed on Xerneas is low; RUN, then interact with Xerneas again.

If you confirm speed:
Turn 1: Spore with smeargle.
Turn 2: (Free) switch to staraptor.
Turn 3: Use final gambit. If Xerneas survives, 30/31 HP IV confirmed; if Xerneas faints, SOFT RESET.
Turn 4: Switch to smeargle, try to catch.
Once caught: Watch the annoying cutscene, check stats during Lysandre battle.

Reason this works is that nailing the speed is arguably more difficult than HP. The odds of getting the correct nature AND max IV in speed are less than just getting a max IV in HP. Finding speed out straight away and being able to just run rather than soft-reset saves a lot of time using final gambit, waiting on the HP going down, and then resetting/loading the game if Xerneas faints. As you don't even need to make a move before confirming speed, you're also saving time.

The above should also work for Yveltal.

I bought a copy of X recently and started resetting for a Timid Xerneas. The method I'm using seems to cut down the time for going through resets considerably compared to other resets I've done, and I haven't seen this posted anywhere. Here's what I've been doing so far:

Speed checker: Smeargle 1 point below Xerneas holding an air balloon, and knowing spore/rock polish/recover.
HP checker: Staraptor with final gambit and total HP of 200 (1 less than 30/31 IV Xerneas).

Xerneas is an annoying one at first as there is a cut-scene to watch. You need to run/faint xerneas if you don't get what you're after first time round.

Initial setup:
- Unless it's what you're looking for after following the general process below (which it probably isn't), faint/run from xerneas. You'll then get a message saying it wants to help you. At this point, SAVE.

Once you've saved and have the legendary in front of you, the general process is as follows:
IF fairy aura activates before the air balloon message on smeargle, 30/31 IV in speed confirmed.
IF fairy auta activates second, speed on Xerneas is low; RUN, then interact with Xerneas again.

If you confirm speed:
Turn 3: Use final gambit. If Xerneas survives, 30/31 HP IV confirmed; if Xerneas faints, SOFT RESET.

Reason this works is that nailing the speed is arguably more difficult than HP. The odds of getting the correct nature AND max IV in speed are less than just getting a max IV in HP. Finding speed out straight away and being able to just run rather than soft-reset saves a lot of time using final gambit, waiting on the HP going down, and then resetting/loading the game if Xerneas faints. As you don't even need to make a move before confirming speed, you're also saving time.

This works for any legend who's ability procs with a message at the beginning (pressure, terravolt, aura break etc.).

Initial setup:

If you confirm speed:

I thought the faint xerneas/yveltal first then save was already in the OP but apparently it is not, so that's a good suggestion.

Your overall stat checking method is like an inferior Speed o-power method so I recommend you check that method instead.

This is how the speed o power method works:
it is useful for pokemon that have abilities that proc at the start of battle
Unfortunately this thread can't be updated so the OP isn't able to edit our suggestions and you have to mannually scroll through the thread for the new improved SRing methods.

Last edited:
I thought the faint xerneas/yveltal first then save was already in the OP but apparently it is not, so that's a good suggestion.

Your overall stat checking method is like an inferior Speed o-power method so I recommend you check that method instead.

This is how the speed o power method works:
it is useful for pokemon that have abilities that proc at the start of battle
Unfortunately this thread can't be updated so the OP isn't able to edit our suggestions and you have to mannually scroll through the thread for the new improved SRing methods.
The issue with the speed o-power method is having to soft-reset, reactivate o-power, and yeah...soft reset.

I guess you could incorporate running instead of resetting for Xerneas:

Fainted synch in front
"Lead" with Staraptor having 1 point less in speed and 1 point less in HP
If staraptor intimidates first, RUN; if fairy aura activates first, final gambit.
If final gambit kills, soft reset; if xerneas survives, catch.

Excessive soft-resetting and o-power activation/wastage could be mitigated by using multiple final gambit staraptor.

The thing I like about the early speed check is that it almost guarantees the nature you want once you have a Xerneas that lives final gambit, so you waste less time checking dead leads. Would only really be true for +speed natures though.

A possible improvement to the method I described above would be running BATON PASS on SMEARGLE:
Turn 1 - speed check and slow baton pass to staraptor (rather than spore)
Turn 2 - final gambit to check HP.

Resetting just now and tossed a 31/5-6/31/31/31/29 xerneas earlier on. Would've taken the 29 just about anywhere else. Damn speed ties... :(

I've noticed that your guide is only set up for Speed Neutral Deoxys. Any reason for this? I'd like to set for a Naive nature.

Buckert

I've noticed that your guide is only set up for Speed Neutral Deoxys. Any reason for this? I'd like to set for a Naive nature.
Lol, this very late reply. I haven't been able to make calculations for a +Spe Deoxys yet, but I will take another look into it this week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)