Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

The boring answer no one wants to acknowledge is those Pokemon won't be in the game
I would believe you on most of them, but something feels like leaving Arceus absent for two consecutive "main" Regions would be something they try to work around (LA and BDSP were Sinnoh based and excluded several Galar aspects).

As for how this theoretically interacts with Tera Type, I think Arceus (or Silvally) would simply start out in the form of its appropriate Plate/Memory when entering the battle, but it isn't checked subsequently in the battle. Judgement takes after the Plate itself as mentioned, but Multitype seems to simply check "Arceus Type = Held Plate/Crystal" when the battle initiates and lock that in as its "Default".

Pokemon Transforming into Arceus or Silvally simply copy the Type and Form regardless of their own Held Item (after Gen 4 at least), so the check seems to only happen at one point before battling begins. By extension I would assume if I send out Silvally-Electric and Terastalize with a Fairy type, Reflect-Type or Conversion 2 simply treat it as a Fairy-Type for the rest of the battle interactions.

Jury's out on Transform, but that I would assume is mostly down to if Transform mimics Terastalizing at all. One could transform into Megas and certain Special forms like Ultra Necrozma, but would not mimic Dynamaxing if it copied a Max Pokemon, appearing as the base instead (and having to Dynamax manually if it wasn't Eternatus or the Dogs who can't), so there's precedent for Transform both copying AND ignoring the gimmick of a generation, not to mention it often has weird interaction with Signature Moves/Abilities.

That brings a thought to mind: what if Gen 9 removes Ditto to minimize Transform shenanigans (since it's the only one you can't keep if the move itself is removed) with Terastalizing? Imagine the fall out for Pokemon Breeders who need to get native Pokemon for certain early VGC events

That brings a thought to mind: what if Gen 9 removes Ditto to minimize Transform shenanigans (since it's the only one you can't keep if the move itself is removed) with Terastalizing? Imagine the fall out for Pokemon Breeders who need to get native Pokemon for certain early VGC events
They would never omit Ditto. It's fundamental for breeding, and it's the best way to get a Pokémon with good IVs

Actually, this would have been possible with a simple number change.
The Equation is like this
(a+2b+4c+8d+16e+32f)/63 * 15
Basically, what your IVs would do is turn off or on those variables, and since those numbers add up to 63, it’s basically a percentage.
So making a and e 0 would give you 46/63 * 15 = 0.73015873015873 * 15 = 10.95238095238095
Floor it and you get 10 (Grass).
All they would need to change is make the 15 into 17, which ultimately would alter all your HP types.
Which looking at it, is probably why Hidden Power was actually cut until PLA where it changes types to always be super effective against everything. Gen 7 allowed you to change your IVs and GameFreak may had issue converting that into SWSH in it’s 1 year development period.
Well, SWSH was not made in a year... But also the way Hyper Training works is it's just a flag being set, ultimately, and it's tracked in the Pokemon data iirc. It's a mask put over the actual IVs.
& in fact HP literally just needed an animation in SWSH; it was fully functional otherwise. HP was also in BDSP, by the way.

I would believe you on most of them, but something feels like leaving Arceus absent for two consecutive "main" Regions would be something they try to work around (LA and BDSP were Sinnoh based and excluded several Galar aspects).
Yeah well I also thought skipping on Greninja for 4 entire years would be worked aorund, or that the Pokemon "brought back" for BDSP & LA would be added to SWSH, or that they would have every pokemon available in gen 8 at some point in its 3 year life span but here we are.

Though it's mostly taking the piss anyway; Silvally will probably return in DLC with all the other legendary Pokemon. Though having said that, who knows, maybe they stop doing that in full. Could be another 3 years before you can use Silvally, minimum!
Jury's out on Transform, but that I would assume is mostly down to if Transform mimics Terastalizing at all. One could transform into Megas and certain Special forms like Ultra Necrozma, but would not mimic Dynamaxing if it copied a Max Pokemon, appearing as the base instead (and having to Dynamax manually if it wasn't Eternatus or the Dogs who can't), so there's precedent for Transform both copying AND ignoring the gimmick of a generation, not to mention it often has weird interaction with Signature Moves/Abilities.

I think Transform/Imposter would allow the fully copying of Terastalizing. Dynamax was kind of a weirder mechanic with a bunch of exceptions needed for it and it was probably done as a failsafe so they don't have to deal with the potential of having 2 pokemon on the same side dynamax.

but terastalizing isn't anything as weird as Dynamaxing. It's fairly straight forward, all things considered.

Well, SWSH was not made in a year... But also the way Hyper Training works is it's just a flag being set, ultimately, and it's tracked in the Pokemon data iirc. It's a mask put over the actual IVs.
& in fact HP literally just needed an animation in SWSH; it was fully functional otherwise. HP was also in BDSP, by the way.
Well the development of SWSH was from 2017 to 2018, which technically can be more than a year, but PLA and SV started development in 2018.
And with BDSP, did they ever get it to work with Home yet?

Well the development of SWSH was from 2017 to 2018, which technically can be more than a year, but PLA and SV started development in 2018.
And with BDSP, did they ever get it to work with Home yet?
SWSH came out in 2019 & games are in development basically up to release (& these days, after release for that matter...). The end of 2018 was likely the point where things were in a state that they could get started on LA & a little later, SV.
Meanwhile they have multiple teams working on things in tandem. With gamefreak's release requirements they kind of need to. Right this second there's probably like 3 other games in development while they're still finishing up SV. Which gets sadder as the years go on, but hey! New cloud pipeline, baby!

They added Home compatibility with BDSP & LA a few months ago.

SWSH came out in 2019 & games are in development basically up to release (& these days, after release for that matter...). The end of 2018 was likely the point where things were in a state that they could get started on LA & a little later, SV.
Meanwhile they have multiple teams working on things in tandem. With gamefreak's release requirements they kind of need to. Right this second there's probably like 3 other games in development while they're still finishing up SV. Which gets sadder as the years go on, but hey! New cloud pipeline, baby!

They added Home compatibility with BDSP & LA a few months ago.
I don’t know if this count as leaks, but the CEDEC had shown some of the most recent game’s development times.
https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pok...-over-fast-development-time-it-shows-1732174/
The development time for SWSH was about a year and a half, which thankfully in SV isn’t the case.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I don’t know if this count as leaks, but the CEDEC had shown some of the most recent game’s development times.
https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pok...-over-fast-development-time-it-shows-1732174/
The development time for SWSH was about a year and a half, which thankfully in SV isn’t the case.
Yeah I've read the CEDEC live tweets and they didn't state when SWSH development truly ended as far as I saw (Lewtwo speculated SV began once SWSH was "done", though), just showed when the development of LA properly began (Fall of 2018) and a rough visual of when SV began (after LA began, though no date given. Could've been later in 2018 or some time in early 2019)

Either way the actual article that is being talked about in dexerto is translated here https://nintendoeverything.com/game...e-making-of-pokemon-sword-and-pokemon-shield/ we talked about it in the SWSH datamine thread earlier this year
And they mention first starting what was effectively preproduction once SM was done in late 2016, then began in earnest around September 2017 but doesn't state when they "ended" the development. As I said earlier, it was likely that they worked on the game basically up to release; you can even see that in some of the early 2019 pre-release footage compared to later footage/release. Though I should be clear when I say that I imagine most of the major bits were likely in place so it was less "making the story and new mechanics" development and more "fine tuning the mechanics and final passes on dialog, tweaking graphics, game balance, etc"

anyway, regardless of it was 1.5 years or 2 years, the other part of the post that started this whole back & forth much is that there was likely not much about the Hyper Training that would result in any sort of difficulties with conversation (as shown by there...being no difficulties with it).

I just realized. There was some talk about Protean getting nerfed, maybe Tera will block it from working?

Also, I'm pretty sure any moves that could change a mon's type will fail during Tera.

After all, imagine if they had to keep swapping the Tera effects on the models because of mons like Protean Greninja doing Protean things.

They would never omit Ditto. It's fundamental for breeding, and it's the best way to get a Pokémon with good IVs
Until they decide not to add ditto and make us just farm for bottle caps / grit :regiF: which tbh doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility with all the hyper training iterations we've seen lately. Then just stick us with whatever genderless mon we caught and make us edit its stats instead...

I just realized. There was some talk about Protean getting nerfed, maybe Tera will block it from working?

Also, I'm pretty sure any moves that could change a mon's type will fail during Tera.

After all, imagine if they had to keep swapping the Tera effects on the models because of mons like Protean Greninja doing Protean things.
Probably something like "changes type after the move is used" essentially removing its 1.5x STAB on everything. I imagine that'd make it pretty shit for a tera user if you undo it with protean or cause protean to fail while tera'd.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Considering the region's main gimmick, do you think that Unown will get a regional form, but instead of Hidden Power and Characters, Paldean Unown will be Tera Types and Tera Blast?
Like Paldean Unown would default be Normal type or Psychic type, but its shape would resemble its Tera Type. As an example, a Paldean Unown with a Fire Tera Type would look like a Fire symbol, but would be Normal or Psychic before Terastallizing. It would be a very creative spin on Unown since Unown originally were the Hidden Power Pokemon, and Tera Blast seems like a cousin to the old Hidden Power.
No, on, if Unown was to get any Paldean form it would only be certain letters (though the normal ones would also still be available, so it's more just them adding new forms):

A will have a grave accent added over it: À
A, E, I, O, and U will have an acute accent added over them: Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú
A, E, and O will have a circumflex accent added over them: Â, Ê, Ô
A, N, and O will have a tilde added over them: Ã, Ñ, Õ
C will have a cedilla added under it: Ç

If we're going to have a region based in Spain and Portugal might as well throw in their special letters into the Unown pile.

Yes. Now you lose 33% of your HP every time you switch out instead of recovering it.
Actually the nerf comes from them changing it from being Mareanie's family Hidden Ability, the Regenerator community is devastated by the departure of one of its most frequent users as use of the Ability plummets in competitive data. :blobpensive:

In other news the Truant community warmly welcomes the addition of the Mareanie family. :bloblul: Their hopes the competitive data numbers will show an increase of its users; they're patient, they'll wait every other turn for it.

Probably something like "changes type after the move is used" essentially removing its 1.5x STAB on everything.
Or, if they really wanted to nerf Protean (and Libero if in the game, which you think it would being we're in the region based on the place in the world Soccer is most popular), they could make it so it only activates once when active and if you want to use the Ability again you'll need to switch them out-and-in.

View attachment 449319
There is a new preorder bonus from Amazon for 10 Potions, 10 Antidotes, and 3 Revives, using the same art as a similar Japanese bonus. Personally I wonder how much poison you can really expect to see to warrant it.

And here I thought they couldn't come up with anything more pathetic than 100 Poke Balls. Now you're just given a set of items you could afford to just buy within the first hour of the game.

Is coming up with a simple in-game preorder bonus worth a damn really that hard? Geez, just give us an extra 50,000 Pokedollars if you can't think of anything good.

and Libero if in the game, which you think it would being we're in the region based on the place in the world Soccer is most popular
Soccer is pretty popular in spain, but most stats seen to show the united arab emirates, thailand, chile, portugal, turkey and mexico all above spain in popularity

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Soccer is pretty popular in spain, but most stats seen to show the united arab emirates, thailand, chile, portugal, turkey and mexico all above spain in popularity
1. Paldea also is Portugal.
2. I had my Spanish speaking countries confused. I was thinking of Brazil :facepalm:. "Brazil is in North America", yes, I know, major oopsie on my part. EDIT: How to tell someone you're tired without telling them you're tired.

Last edited:
Some questions about terastalizing, of which we might not have answers to yet. But maybe someone knows:

- I assume this will be feature in multiplayer?

- Will this apply to all Pokemon types, or just those in the Paldea region/dex?

- Can any Pokemon potentially have any type of terastal forms? Meaning, all 18 types for Charizard?

- Any word on legendary and mythical Pokemon being able to terastallize?

And just some other random questions:

- How many Pokemon will be included at launch?

- Are there plans for a full national dex? Or is it going to be like Sword/Shield all over again where some Pokemon are just missing? I miss Greninja...

- Any confirmation if Hisuian forms will be available?

- Is multiplayer going to be more or less the same as a traditional turn based game like X/Y, Sword/Shield and the like?

- Is breeding more or less going to be the same?

Most articles talk about the single player story which I don't care about, I only play battles. Kind of annoyed about another gimmick being introduced again with the previous ones being dumped. I like regional forms so glad those are back, but miss mega evolutions.

Some questions about terastalizing, of which we might not have answers to yet. But maybe someone knows:

- I assume this will be feature in multiplayer?

- Will this apply to all Pokemon types, or just those in the Paldea region/dex?

- Can any Pokemon potentially have any type of terastal forms? Meaning, all 18 types for Charizard?

- Any word on legendary and mythical Pokemon being able to terastallize?

And just some other random questions:

- How many Pokemon will be included at launch?

- Are there plans for a full national dex? Or is it going to be like Sword/Shield all over again where some Pokemon are just missing? I miss Greninja...

- Any confirmation if Hisuian forms will be available?

- Is multiplayer going to be more or less the same as a traditional turn based game like X/Y, Sword/Shield and the like?

- Is breeding more or less going to be the same?

Most articles talk about the single player story which I don't care about, I only play battles. Kind of annoyed about another gimmick being introduced again with the previous ones being dumped. I like regional forms so glad those are back, but miss mega evolutions.
1. Yes
2. Only Paldea Dex
3. Multiple leakers confirmed all 18 types for everyone
4. No clue
5. No clue
6. No more in-game National Dex. Home is the National Dex
7. Yes Hisuian Zorua/Zoroark are confirmed
8. Multiplayer has never changed, hopefully there's no more 20 minute timer
9. Sort of with some tweaks possibly

The boring answer no one wants to acknowledge is those Pokemon won't be in the game
I definitely expect this to be the case for Shedinja. Nincada's weird evolution mechanic keeps causing logistical issues with their way of handling hack checks in Home, and I think they'd probably don't want to deal with continually having to code special exceptions for it.

It would be a shame if Arceus wasn't in in some capacity. We just had a game where the ability to obtain it is one of the main selling points. I fully expect to be disappointed, though. Hopefully, if we get a selections of Home-only mons on game release, they won't have like 80% of the legendaries share a single type weakness this time.

I would certainly hope that if Arceus isn't a HOME transfer on release that it makes it in with DLC with the rest of the Legends.

My main fear with the HOME transfer mythicals is that Marshadow won't make it into the base game this time around. I was very relieved when it turned out to be in base SwSh. Actually, my biggest fear is that it won't make it in at all---not all the mythicals were added to SwSh, with all gen 4 mythicals only being available in BDSP/PLA and Deoxys only available in BDSP. Meloetta and Hoopa have not made it onto the switch so far.

I would certainly hope that if Arceus isn't a HOME transfer on release that it makes it in with DLC with the rest of the Legends.

My main fear with the HOME transfer mythicals is that Marshadow won't make it into the base game this time around. I was very relieved when it turned out to be in base SwSh. Actually, my biggest fear is that it won't make it in at all---not all the mythicals were added to SwSh, with all gen 4 mythicals only being available in BDSP/PLA and Deoxys only available in BDSP. Meloetta and Hoopa have not made it onto the switch so far.
Meloetta specifically seems like a plausible miss this gen. Tera on a mon with in-combat type swapping seems like a source of issues, and Meloetta would be an obvious option to skip since the form change is reversible, changes type and stats simultaneously, and happens in the middle of a turn.

Meloetta specifically seems like a plausible miss this gen. Tera on a mon with in-combat type swapping seems like a source of issues, and Meloetta would be an obvious option to skip since the form change is reversible, changes type and stats simultaneously, and happens in the middle of a turn.
Well actually it’s a form change, which is a pretty big distinction. It can be assumed it works just like how Meloetta would work if you give it Conversion or Protean.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if form change mechanics got reworked in SV, specifically in regards to type. Currently, form changes sort of delete the Pokemon and replace it with a new Pokemon, and as a result it overrides type-changing effects like Soak, even in cases where the two forms have the same typing like Aegislash or many megas. That wasn't super disruptive in the past since type-changing moves were pretty rare, but Tera is about to make type changing a lot more common. There's only really two options I can see that would be good:
  1. form changes no longer override type-changing effects
  2. form changes still override regular type-changing effects, but Tera overrides everything related to type

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)