Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

I actually wouldn't be surprised if form change mechanics got reworked in SV, specifically in regards to type. Currently, form changes sort of delete the Pokemon and replace it with a new Pokemon, and as a result it overrides type-changing effects like Soak, even in cases where the two forms have the same typing like Aegislash or many megas. That wasn't super disruptive in the past since type-changing moves were pretty rare, but Tera is about to make type changing a lot more common. There's only really two options I can see that would be good:
  1. form changes no longer override type-changing effects
  2. form changes still override regular type-changing effects, but Tera overrides everything related to type
I would guess that terastalizing prevents type or form changes. e.g., soak, protean, etc., cannot change the type of a terastalized mon,
Terastalized Meloetta can use Relic song but it won't transform. Unsure about trick or treat or forest's curse. Since they just add a type, maybe they'll still work (if they don't just avoid this complication by dexiting those moves or phantump/pumpkaboo)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It would be a shame if Arceus wasn't in in some capacity.
Would certainly be ironic the gen which Super Gimmick is based on Pokemon changing its Type to exclude Pokemon who have ways of changing their Type as part of their normal gimmick.

My main fear with the HOME transfer mythicals is that Marshadow won't make it into the base game this time around. I was very relieved when it turned out to be in base SwSh. Actually, my biggest fear is that it won't make it in at all---not all the mythicals were added to SwSh, with all gen 4 mythicals only being available in BDSP/PLA and Deoxys only available in BDSP.
Hmm, let's Type out the Mythicals:
Psychic: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Victini, Meloetta, Hoopa
Grass: Celebi, Shaymin, Zarude
Steel: Jirachi, Genesect, Magearna, Meltan family
Water: Manaphy, Keldeo, Volcanion
Dark: Darkrai, Hoopa, Zarude
Flying: Shaymin
Fire: Victini, Volcanion
Fighting: Keldeo, Meloetta, Marshadow
Normal: Meleotta
Bug: Genesect
Rock: Diancie
Fairy: Diancie, Magearna
Ghost: Hoopa, Marshadow
Electric: Zeraora

Types Without Mythicals: Poison, Ground, Ice, Dragon

Special: Arceus

So, as a thought experiment, let's assume they would want as many Mythicals as needed which could represent all the Tera Types that would give Super STAB. Also, to include as many Mythicals as possible, if a dual-type Legendary is picked for a Super STAB and it shares its non-picked Type with another Pokemon, that Type is freed up for the other Pokemon of that Type to be picked. So

• Guaranteed: Shaymin (Flying), Meloetta (Normal), Genesect (Bug), Diancie (Rock), and Zeraora (Electric). Also, with Diancie representing Rock, that means Magearna can be the representative of Fairy.

From here I thinking of two different strategies which would alter which Mythicals are picked.

• Mono-Focused: If we focused on the single Type Pokemon next, that would mean Mew (Psychic), Meltan family (Steel), Manaphy (Water), & Darkrai (Dark). That leaves just Grass, Fire, Fighting, and Ghost, with the remaining possible combinations being (Celebi/Zarude), (Victini/Volcanion), Keldeo, & Marshadow OR (Celebi/Zarude), (Victini/Volcanion), Marhshadow, & Hoopa.

• Dual-Focused: if we instead focused on trying to free up options via focusing on the Pokemon with dual-types, that starts us with Jirachi (Steel). Now Hoopa appears in 3 Types, which is a bit selfish of it, so let's it aside. Doing so gets us Zarude (Dark) and Marshadow (Ghost), which then gives us Celebi (Grass) and Keldeo (Fighting), which then gives us Volcanion (Water), Victini (Fire), and finally Hoopa (Psychic).

Meloetta specifically seems like a plausible miss this gen. Tera on a mon with in-combat type swapping seems like a source of issues, and Meloetta would be an obvious option to skip since the form change is reversible, changes type and stats simultaneously, and happens in the middle of a turn.
Eh, if Terastallizing works as we think it does, as it's essentially an all-encompassing cover, doesn't matter if Melotta's Relic Song changes its Type as once Terastallize it'll always be its Tera Type. Actually, Meloetta could be a major Tera Type user as it can use Relic Song to switch between being a Physical or Special Attacker with Tera Blast always giving it a STAB going off its highest offense stat. Aria could also play as a Special Wall and Pirouette as a supportive speedster if the situation calls for it.

NEW THOUGHT - PALDEA FOSSILS:
Lockstin recently released a video about his prediction for Fossil Pokemon, and though I won't go as indepth as he did, I think the topic is still worth considering.

Now one thing to note is that Lockstin tried to stick with dinosaurs which lived in the Iberian Peninsula. But the thing is, GF don't give a mulch about where a prehistoric animal lived. Disregarding the Galar Fossils which were a joke based on the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs, the Kalos Fossils was the T-Rex (which roamed the northwest of the USA) and the Amargasaurus (which is from Argentina). Now the Tyrunt family and Amaura family were picked due to the secondary theme of them being designed to resembled a European king and queen. But hey, maybe GF looked up dinosaurs that lived in the Iberian Peninsula and noticed one they wanted to make a Fossil Pokemon for, so without anything better to go on:

First we'll start with the one I would also like to see: an Ankylosaur! Well, technically it was Nodosaurs which were in the Iberian Peninsula, a cousin family to true ankylosaurs who all fell under the Ankylosauria suborder, but details details. In the end it's an armored four-legged dinosaur (with some having trails of spikes going down along its armored back) and (some having) a clubbed tail, awesome!

Now Lockstin then suggests a Pelicanimimus, a theropod which had a throat pouch (hence its name meaning "Pelican Mimic", though artist recreations don't show the throat pouch being as big as a pelican's). However the reason he picked Pelicanimimus is due to him having chosen a secondary theme for them (medieval weaponry, his ankylosaur being armor/club and his Pelicanimimus being based on a Toledo steel sword), and I'm not sure if I want to go that far giving them a secondary theme. Like, if they picked a Pelicanimimus then alright, but I'd personally would like something more, for lack of a better word, unique.

There were a few species of Iguanodon that lived in the Iberian Peninsula. "Oh, the ones with the neat head-crests"? No, you're probably thinking of the Parasaurolophus, they're Hadrosaurids which is a descendent family of the Iguanodons that lived up in France. But, hey, Kalos uses its fossils to do the T-Rex and Amargasaurus, so I don't see why Paldea can't do a combination of all the "Duck-Billed" dinosaurs.

There's a couple of fairly typical large sauropods, Aragosaurus & Demandasaurus, if they want to do another one.

One that caught my eye is the Baryonyx. It's a theropod though it's less like T-Rex and more like a crocodile, especially in its head shape. It was semi-aquatic with its jaws and claws adapted to catching marine animals like fish or whatever unfortunate land animal would come near the waters it lived in. And if you still don't think the crocodile-like appearance is eye-catching enough, how about adding a large fin onto its back? That's because Baryonyx are members of the Spinosaurids family! Now Spinosaurus itself lives just below the Iberian Peninsula in North Africa. But hey, if we're stretching the Ankylosaurs with the Nodosaurs and the Parasaurolopus with the Iguanodons, I think we can can include Baryonyx's African cousin who's a swim across the Mediterranean Sea.

If you want some non-dinosaurs, the three interesting ones I found were:
  • The Nuralagus, the largest rabbit species that ever lived.
  • The Agriarctos, an ancestor of the panda (yeah, they apparently lived in Spain before moving to China, they also looked more like a Black Bear with white markings of a panda (at least that's what the artists think)).
  • The Myotragus, an animal best described as an antelope-goat which also had some reptilian physiology (it still looked like a mammal, but it was cold-blooded and was able to control its bone growth rate like crocodiles)

Dhelmise and perserker could both be fantastic users of Tera, considering their abilities basically give stab on steel type moves. It’d just be a free 1.5x boost on every steel move, which for perserker could be 3x extra damage for free lmao
I know there's a million other factors that determine if a Pokémon ends up good or not but...

252+ Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Head (1.333x) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 108-127 (32.3 - 38%) -- 96.2% chance to 3HKO

Skarmory is one 30% flinch away from not being a counter. But I think the real winner when it comes to damage stacking is our new friend mono-Water Arctovish.

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 404-476 (120.9 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

We did it guys we broke Fishious Rend.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
View attachment 449319
There is a new preorder bonus from Amazon for 10 Potions, 10 Antidotes, and 3 Revives, using the same art as a similar Japanese bonus. Personally I wonder how much poison you can really expect to see to warrant it.
"Here, have some healing items that you don't even need cuz our game is so easy, you can usually beat them fine without them."

What a laughably useless preorder bonus.

"Here, have some healing items that you don't even need cuz our game is so easy, you can usually beat them fine without them."

Tbh the preorder bonuses have always been pretty pointless either ways.

As you said, pokemon games tend to already be pretty easy in first place (expecially if you use Switch battle instead of Set), so it's not like there's anything they could really give.

And they don't want to give much in the way of special bonuses for preorder either. They have been giving out temporary exclusives (like gmax meowth) for early purchases which however are more cool than good.
In this case we have teraFlying Pikachu.

Eelektross is back. Murkrow is back.
:bw/eelektross: :sm/murkrow:

But more importantly, we all know that terastallizing is gonna get banned from singles

Judging from what's confirmed, I actually have a semi complete VGC team

:hatterene: + :hariyama: + :arcanine: + :cacturne: + :bronzong: + :eelektross:

Is it good? Probably not (XD). Cacturne would most likely be Tera Grass and helps vs Pelipper Rain. Hatterene has an immunity to Taunt so it can get up TR. Bronzong is other TR setter. Hariyama helps set up TR and takes advantage of it. Eelektross is an effective mixed "wallbreaker" with is immaculate coverage. And arcanine with intimidate is prolly gonna be the best in the format

Eelektross is back. Murkrow is back.
:bw/eelektross: :sm/murkrow:

But more importantly, we all know that terastallizing is gonna get banned from singles
I don't think it's quite as set in stone. It's strong but I feel like the unpredictability factor may be over-exaggerated. We will have to see.

Judging from what's confirmed, I actually have a semi complete VGC team

:hatterene: + :hariyama: + :arcanine: + :cacturne: + :bronzong: + :eelektross:

Is it good? Probably not (XD). Cacturne would most likely be Tera Grass and helps vs Pelipper Rain. Hatterene has an immunity to Taunt so it can get up TR. Bronzong is other TR setter. Hariyama helps set up TR and takes advantage of it. Eelektross is an effective mixed "wallbreaker" with its immaculate coverae. And arcanine with intimidate is prolly gonna be the best in the format
Honestly with Covert Cloak you just really need the Hatt for a TR setter. Electric Tera Eelektross would probably also help vs Rain a lot more than Cacturne since it is also super effective vs Mono-Water types and nails Pelipper (who likely won't Terastal unless Enhanced Hurricanes work better in a match up than Terastallizing a Swift Swimmer) hard. I don't think there's enough shown for TR in any capacity to shine quite yet, but you know there is currently unrevealed stuff that has to be in the Paleda dex.

And yeah, Arcanine is gonna be a top dog at the start of SV VGC. It's proven itself to be an amazing supportive 'mon and Fire Terastal Arcanine wouldn't be a bad choice in some matchups due to how much damage it can deal.

I don't think it's quite as set in stone. It's strong but I feel like the unpredictability factor may be over-exaggerated. We will have to see.

Honestly with Covert Cloak you just really need the Hatt for a TR setter. Electric Tera Eelektross would probably also help vs Rain a lot more than Cacturne since it is also super effective vs Mono-Water types and nails Pelipper (who likely won't Terastal unless Enhanced Hurricanes work better in a match up than Terastallizing a Swift Swimmer) hard. I don't think there's enough shown for TR in any capacity to shine quite yet, but you know there is currently unrevealed stuff that has to be in the Paleda dex.

And yeah, Arcanine is gonna be a top dog at the start of SV VGC. It's proven itself to be an amazing supportive 'mon and Fire Terastal Arcanine wouldn't be a bad choice in some matchups due to how much damage it can deal.
Your right. But honestly, I didn't rly enjoy SwSh VGC due to the time I started (the restricted format). And I PRAY SV will have a balanced meta - and plus I just won't get it til the meta develops so

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 404-476 (120.9 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Wait, how are you mimicking Strong Jaw? Band is a given and Adaptability stands in for Tera Super STAB, but Dracovish has SJ in tandem, so if anything it's more broken power than what you're displaying here.

well yes but dracovish is banned arco isnt
I mean I was just commenting on the number displayed not using the full extent of what it's displaying.

An alternative consideration this calc brings up is that this means Tera-Dracovish wouldn't need Rain to nuke the way it did in Gen 8. Won't likely have practical play but big numbers are funny to look at

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Helping Hand Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg in Rain: 552-649 (140.1 - 164.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Why not just stick to the simulation at that point? You'll get to play meta for free and if they still haven't made Pokemon's stat maxing very convenient, all the more reason?
I will. But either way, Im a man of incompetence - and decided to make a list of the VGC worthy mons revealed

:bw/breloom: offensive Amoonguss. Nothing else to say here
:bw/murkrow: prankster antics
:sm/sableye: also prankster antics
:dp/hariyama: offensive TR mon
:bw/arcanine: c'mon now. Its a non lando format - of course it'll be good
:sm/hatterene: great TR setter
:bw/eelektross: stupifying utility/offense and can function in TR and TW
:dp/bronzong: also a TR setter
:sm/pelipper: rain
:sm/golduck: rain abuser
:rs/tyranitar: sand.

I have high hopes for this meta. Ill post a link to a paste of every mon I think has a chance in gen 9 VGC

Edit: my SV VGC list https://pokepast.es/9562a9604106dc7b

Last edited:
I know there's a million other factors that determine if a Pokémon ends up good or not but...

252+ Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Head (1.333x) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 108-127 (32.3 - 38%) -- 96.2% chance to 3HKO

Skarmory is one 30% flinch away from not being a counter. But I think the real winner when it comes to damage stacking is our new friend mono-Water Arctovish.

Alternatively, you could run Iron Tail, (which has about the same BP factoring in accuracy) and Skarmory will be one Def drop away from being in KO range.

252+ Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 135-159 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Tail vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 202-238 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, call it a hunch, but I think GF might nerf Fisheous Rend and Bolt Beak the same way they nerfed Payback in gen 5. This is just baseless speculation though.

Also, call it a hunch, but I think GF might nerf Fisheous Rend and Bolt Beak the same way they nerfed Payback in gen 5. This is just baseless speculation though.
Hopefully it’s x1.5 boost and doesn’t count switching as “going last”.
It was stupid that switching would be treated as “going before the opponent” for Analytic while also “going after the opponent” for Fishious Rend and Bolt Beak. Like come on, there should be at least some consistency here. inb4 they nerf Analytic instead because of this.

Be careful what you wish for. BDSP had Apricorn Balls as a preorder bonus and they were exclusive to that preorder bonus, so any other copies of BDSP are basically locked out of them forever. I'd much rather take a useless preorder bonus over that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)