NOC Popcorn Mafia 3 Game Thread

Going to try and collect my thoughts tonight. This is a weird game format which really hampers how I think about the game (although given my track record, maybe that’s a good thing). I can’t wrap my head around what the mafia is trying to do. I think conventional logic suggests they want to be aggressive early and bus late the closer we get to being on target until winning is plausible. But my sense from the early game is that they played the first two votes relatively passively? I don’t get what sort of angle they are going for. Is it really just the afks and/or floaters? Maybe you could throw in one or two of the more active/town dudes and they are just relying on them to carry?

I‘m still in favor of my afks strategy but I’m just trying to see beyond a world where that doesn’t really work out especially as we run out of shots. So many people as soon as they show up I feel better about but surely it’s impossible that they are all good. But then that leads me back to, ok, maybe it is just the afk/low effort guys and no more than 1 or 2 “probably town” leads. But when it seems that easy, it never is. Back in circles I go I guess.

@everyone in the game am I a grilling type? I think their answers may surprise you

I've done a few different burstposts. This summary seems to reveal that you haven't read the thread much
This is the most you’ve been engaged in the game though, I think multiple people would agree to that, even if you don’t. And it’s interesting that it happens as soon as you appear to be in legitimate danger.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
This is the most you’ve been engaged in the game though, I think multiple people would agree to that, even if you don’t. And it’s interesting that it happens as soon as you appear to be in legitimate danger.
it happened immediately before I appeared to be in legitimate danger, check the history

it happened immediately before I appeared to be in legitimate danger, check the history
Hm yeah I guess I can give you this one even though technically there were a couple votes on you right after the flip. But I don’t really believe that would’ve bothered you.

I thought skipper posted his vote list yesterday but you’re right, I was mistaken

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Going to try and collect my thoughts tonight. This is a weird game format which really hampers how I think about the game (although given my track record, maybe that’s a good thing). I can’t wrap my head around what the mafia is trying to do. I think conventional logic suggests they want to be aggressive early and bus late the closer we get to being on target until winning is plausible. But my sense from the early game is that they played the first two votes relatively passively? I don’t get what sort of angle they are going for. Is it really just the afks and/or floaters? Maybe you could throw in one or two of the more active/town dudes and they are just relying on them to carry?

I‘m still in favor of my afks strategy but I’m just trying to see beyond a world where that doesn’t really work out especially as we run out of shots. So many people as soon as they show up I feel better about but surely it’s impossible that they are all good. But then that leads me back to, ok, maybe it is just the afk/low effort guys and no more than 1 or 2 “probably town” leads. But when it seems that easy, it never is. Back in circles I go I guess.
i think i was treating the first day cycle like conventional mafia with ppl trying to replicate voting patterns via democracy but the more i think about it the more i think optimal mafia strategy for this setup is to mirror their town game and play for an honest solve, given lack of night kill analysis to infer team compositions

i think i was treating the first day cycle like conventional mafia with ppl trying to replicate voting patterns via democracy but the more i think about it the more i think optimal mafia strategy for this setup is to mirror their town game and play for an honest solve, given lack of night kill analysis to infer team compositions
That’s a pretty ominous thought.

at some point they have to deviate though right? Like there will be a disconnect in how they play as a town in some scenarios vs mafia.

like I would expect you to play as non optimal town at some point because otherwise you’d just get all your teammates out. Or do you think that’s fine because you’d just win in lylo?

I guess I just answered my own question

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That’s a pretty ominous thought.

at some point they have to deviate though right? Like there will be a disconnect in how they play as a town in some scenarios vs mafia.

like I would expect you to play as non optimal town at some point because otherwise you’d just get all your teammates out. Or do you think that’s fine because you’d just win in lylo?

I guess I just answered my own question
i think you just rely on classic scumhunting tools, figure who is authentic in their reads, who is generating reasons for them, who reveals an informed mindset

makes your plan of shooting inactives (or subbing them or modkilling them *cough* Nuxl *cough*) more critical because the reads are the only reliable thing to work off of

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
so you really think afk chad is scummy or just nai though
he had scummy posts when he was here, the activity is nai. i quoted the posts that stood out in some prior post, but i cba to go find it

tl;dr, i nudged him into airing a read on me when he said i'd be an easy read & without having any prior read on me, he immediately said i'm townie for a couple generic reasons but it was implied right before then that he didn't have a read on me yet, so it seemed like a potential weird way of dealing with tmi and forcing a read out before he even had one just so he didn't have to say "i have no read yet"

he also had trouble diving into details specific to *this game* and made a lot of useless framework comments which felt scummy

zero thoughts on flood other than that he's subbing into a scummy slot, and realiti townreading him off of 2 nai posts doesn't make sense, which is why i'm asking if not shooting him is due to a read or due to wanting to give flood some time to post

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think hydro might be mafia they have never played like this before and all their scumreads are mostly my townreads lmao

they never have this high energy or confidence and kinda just spamming stuff and pretending it's obvious but they have no rela substance that makes me believe he believes his own reads
why does the difference in reads impact your view on hydro's slot tho

Clouds

False Pretenses
They’re interactions with realiti
lmfao

if you were implying you think i'm scum pocketing realiti, then yeah sure i can see that considering i have a pretty strong townread on him and i've been buddying up with him. but considering you scumread realiti, you're implying we're partnered with this which is not a good read

in a scum game i would never interact with a partner the way i do with realiti

i understand the roots of why you're thinking this way i think. if it helps for context, we're out of game friends and have played mafia together a lot so he's a slot i focus my attention on early since i know some distinctions between his town and mafia games

Clouds

False Pretenses
if tbz is mafia, skipper's shotpool probably has like 1 scum max

tbz/ls s/s is possible with tbz pushing ls when she's not even in skipper's shotpool - tbz hadn't pushed ls prior to this iirc and this would be a safe time to push your partner when you know they're not on the list of potential shots

Clouds

False Pretenses
also tbz/texas are unpaired i think, with texas's latest comments on tbz pushing mc at the same time as him. doesn't read like something you'd post about a partner, and i've noticed some overlap there that goes beyond the mc push as well

another thing that feels dumb to write but is genuinely impacting my read on tbz is that i think tbz would've found me town by now, or at least tried to reevaluate, but he's continuously pushed me when i'm an already polarized slot in a way that feels like he's not even attempting to solve me. he's also hesitant to expand on the read beyond just a feeling, which isn't super out of character for him, but he has a history of games in the books to reference and is familiar with my towngame

why do you think i'm mafia Thunder~BALLZ? & expand on your LS read too, let's see if our reasoning is the same

Clouds

False Pretenses
No... AG's treatment of that slot at cycle 1's end still pings me. Forgetting he swapped his vote off Zippy to skipper at one point, and then when the Zippy wagon that he started gained more traction, he suddenly goes "Okay no I don't trust it now"... hang on lemme just grab that quote

...that. Backed off a bit because I wanted to give Jalmont a chance, but this pinged me at the time and STILL does... and is one of the reasons I have a hard time believing pulsar's hardclear. But part of me also thinks I'm tinfoiling this
you might be the 1 player not tr'ing jalmont in this game

which is probably a good look, considering i think he's townspewed and wouldn't expect mafia to test their luck. here's my hold up:

Clouds is my previous vote... and JUST NOW am I realizing Psy never put him on the first votecount I quoted. Ouch. He was on the sus as hell Zippy wagon and STAYED on it... and was on Tommy cycle 3, with HH there as well. Those later actions I'm unsure about... but I still really don't like him staying on Zippy with the knowledge of AG scum.
you claim you don't trust jalmont, but you use my vote on jalmont's slot to shade me here. so is my vote on jalmont truly bad in your eyes?

also, the bolded line doesn't make sense to me - as soon as i saw AG flip mafia, it seemed very likely to me that jalmont's slot was town and my read almost 180'd due to zippy's interactions with AG. i never voted jalmont's slot again after that, so what do you mean by "i stayed on zippy with the knowledge of AG scum"? if you mean day 1 then that's even worse, because how tf would i know AG was scum when AG hadn't been revealed as mafia at the time?

explain this to me when you see this, cause i think you're town but this is a pretty uncharitable read that's misrepresentative of what happened

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)