Serious 2013 Outdoors Thread: (or "mattj posts a bunch of river bluff pics")

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

I don't know where you live, but here in the Midwest the ice is thawing and the days are beginning to lengthen. The trees still don't have their leaves, and the grass is still barren and brown, but if you sit still and listen long enough you can already hear the call of the outdoors.

So what do you do outdoors in your area? What's the fishing like? Do you hunt? Do you hike? What about camping, biking, boating, nude sun bathing, floating, or swimming? What kinds of wildlife do you have in your area? What's the land like? Is it rocky and mountainous or is it flat and grassy? It interests me to no end to hear about what the land is like in different places. We want to hear about what it's like where you are!

Have you caught anything lately? Have you taken a hike? Do you have any pictures? We want to see and hear about it!

Right now, unless either you ice fish or are crazy like me, it might be too early and cold to get outdoors. But what are your plans for this spring, summer, and fall? Where are you going to go? What are you going to do? What are your goals? We'd love to hear about your plans!

Are you a pretty experienced outdoorsman? How many deer have you shot? What's the biggest fish you've caught? What's the longest trail you've hiked? What's the longest river you've floated? How did you do it? What did you do to prepare? What was the hardest part? What was the best part? Do you have any tips? We'd love to hear your stories!

I gave this thread a serious tag because I don't want it to be bothered by trolls, but I don't mean for this to not be a thread to share fun, casual, even silly, stories about your outdoors experiences. You don't have to type up a stuffy, technical account in order to post here. Just be courteous to fellow posters and stay on the topic of the outdoors, if'n you please.

I live in the Netherlands, meaning that all the outdoors we got around here is flat meadows, with the occasional group of trees. I'm not even close to being anything of an outdoorsman; the largest fish I've caught in my life was 4 inches long (and I managed to get the hook stuck in his eye, too), I haven't shot anything in my life, and I think the largest hike I've ever taken was around 6 miles.

Now, I do enjoy the outdoors; I love reading National Geographics, and looking at the landscape pictures in there. You could probably say that I'm more of a theoretical outdoorsman, in that aspect. I like reading and hearing about it, but I never really do it myself.

My parents used to take me camping a lot during holidays, but that was kinda luxurious camping as well, with a fully equipped tent and everything; nothing of the beaten path, always on organized camp spots. If you are from the Midwest, I can imagine it much more common to grow up in a family that really sticks to the outdoors, going hunting and hiking with the whole family. Here in the Netherlands, that hardly ever happens (hell, I don't even know anyone with a hunting license or anything).

This summer I'll be going on a holiday to the South-West of the States (California, Nevada), and I expect to be seeing and experiencing a lot more outdoors there. Looking forward to it already!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Been an avid hiker, rock-climber and general explorer since I was old enough to go out without holding my mother's hand - the English Lake District was my favourite haunt, and the site of many childhood memories so when I got the opportunity to go and live out there, I snatched it with both hands.

I live and work on Blencathra, the loveliest fell in England in my perhaps biased opinion (all the photos I'm about to show were taken by myself, using my iPhone...I've developed a bit of a passion for photography as of late!).

it's funny this thread should pop up when it has as I just this week put a deposit down on a flight to Nepal and a 22 day high level-trek to Everest base camp, passing through some of the highest and most beautiful mountain passes on the planet - suffice to say I am stoked! It's in November so expect some big posts in the run-up and aftermath. I've been attached to a group of five complete strangers who hail from all over the planet and we'll be being led by two sherpas (native Nepalese mountain folk)...6 nights are spent in lodges but the rest are camping out in the field at an average temperature of -20oC and even a few nights sleeping at over 5000m altitude...can't wait!

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
i like goin cyclin on weekends, anywhere around the city. i can get to the colonial city or the park on my bike too so i can say ive got places to go

livin in an island makes me a very "beach-person". i went diving/snorkeling the other day, here are the pics. sorry i dont put each individually up but theyre 80!!!

edit: in case i havent said it enough times already, I live in the Dominican Republic

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Lilly's first float trip! The first of many this year.

There's a river that runs through our town.

The Meramec River begins at a large, beautiful spring in St. James Missouri and winds it's way through 229 miles of Ozark hills all the way to the Mississippi River. You would not believe how clear the water is at the head. As it gets closer to the Mississippi it begins to look much, much more like the Mississippi though. It's not a huge river. I might be biased because I grew up almost literally living "on" the Missouri River, which is one of the largest rivers in the world. But it is a relatively large and substantial river. It's the 9th longest in the state (which includes the behemoths, the Missouri and Mississippi) and varies from knee to hip deep in some very, very wide swaths, to holes that can be as deep as 30 feet or possibly more. At places it'll be a quarter of a mile wide, and at other places it'll be a mere 50 feet of gushing current. There are boatramps and campgrounds scattered every so many miles from tip to tail. You can find one of the country's finest managed trout parks at the spring's crystal waters. Some of the largest gar caught (and shot) in our state are found in the lower Meramec. We have plenty of catfish, carp, bass, drum, perch, beavers, deer, and even a few bald eagles when the season is right. We've also had occasional reports of mountain lions (including myself). Oh, and we also have some of the largest, healthiest freshwater mussel beds in the US.

We live about half way down the river. It's pretty muddy here in Pacific, but you would not believe the fishing, hiking, floating, swimming, boating, hunting, and all kinds of other activities that go on, on the river, in our area. I went fishing very nearly every weekend this past year and only came home empty handed once. If the weather is even remotely warm, the long, gravel beach at the Conservation Area outside of town is packed with swimmers and partyers. During the summer months, from noon till sundown, there are constant trains of floaters. You'd do yourself a favor to not go hiking around the Meramec during deer season as well. The place is crawling with them, and hunters too.

I grew up on the water. My earliest memories are of swimming and playing on the beach in the Gulf of Mexico in White City, Florida. When we moved to Missouri, when I was 5, the outdoors didn't end for me there. All through my childhood my father and grandfathers and aunts and uncles took me fishing and swimming for weeks at a time all throughout the summer. My fondest memories from my childhood are of camping and fishing at Stockton Lake with my gandparents. Other memorable events in my young life were the many float trips I took with my uncles and aunts, and grandparents.

I want my daughter to have those experiences and memories too. I want her to know how to swim in a river. I want her to know how to fish and how to float and boat. I want to pass on to her that same love of the outdoors that my family passed on to me.

With that in mind, I mapped and plotted out the entire stretch of the river that runs though our town, from its crystal beginnings at Meramec Spring, 125 or so miles downstream to our town, Pacific Missouri. I have a decent amount of experience floating. I know my own limits. So I looked for all of the public boat ramps and campgrounds and divided the stretch from here to there into approximately 15 mile chunks, which is about a good day's float for me.

I also bought a decent raft, the Mariner 4, by Intex. From all the reviews I read, the Mariner 4 is the cheapest "serious, entry level, white water raft" available. It's about 10 feet long and 5 feet wide. It is made of three layers of very thick, very durable material. And then if you do happen to ram a sharp rock, it has 5 separate chambers, so if you pop one the boat doesn't just deflate and dump you in the middle of a rapid. It'll keep floating, at least to the nearest shore to make repairs. It also has a hard floor insert, which makes it unique for it's price range. Most rafts that have hard floors are around 500$ more expensive than the Mariner 4. After taking it out several times just to get used to paddling with oar locks, (*which are fantastic compared to rowing twohanded by the way*), and then floating it 12 miles, running up on occasional logs and debris, I'm very, very pleased with this boat.

One problem with a 250 pound guy like me rowing a raft is weight distribution. My daughter weighs like 50 pounds. And I have to sit a ways back in order to comfortably row the boat. This doesn't make the front of the boat tip up that bad, but any lean makes it harder to row, especially against even the lightest waves or headwind. Putting all the gear, and in fact extra gear, up front remedied that problem for me. Along with the cooler with extra food and drinks, the raft bag, Lilly's seat, her toys, and herself, I brought a blue tote with all my camping gear too, even though we wouldn't need it. It's kind of nice to have all that just in case too. There was a father and his two little sons who froze to death in our area, just a few weeks back, when they went out on a hike on a very warm day in January. The weather dropped very suddenly and they were caught, lost, in the middle of the woods, in the freezing rain, with no cold weather gear. It's comforting to know that should something go horribly wrong I'll have an air tight tote with a tent, cooking gear, and fire starting materials.

I decided we'd float the very last leg of our planned trips because it's one of the shortest portions and this time of year we don't have much daylight, I've floated and fished that stretch countless times, and because I was unsure of how the boat and Lilly would hold up. I had taken the boat, and Lilly, out a few times to get used to paddling this new craft, and because Lilly is interested in fishing and boating, but I'd never taken either on such a long, possibly dangerous trip.

There are no real rapids on the Meramec River. I've read that it never gets over a Class 2. But it is a river that is prone to sudden, violent, flooding, so it is pretty full of debris. And although it isn't as wide or as deep as many large rivers, and although people do swim and wade in it all the time, a couple of people die in this river every single year. We had a 12 year old boy drown literally at the very spot we planned on ending this float trip just this past summer. We did run into our fair share of fast currents and debris on Lilly's first float. Once, I don't know how I didn't see this because I'm pretty careful about looking way ahead for ripples in the water that mark logs and the like, but I totally didn't see this gigantic log, just barely beneath the water's surface, until it was about 10 feet in front of us and far too late to do anything about it. We ran right up on top of it, which stopped us dead in our tracks and lifted us up a bit in the middle of some fast current and debris.

Normally, this kind of thing is no big deal. I've experienced it before. Worst case scenario my vessel flips and I swim to shore, then swim downstream and get my boat back. But this time, I'm stuck on top of a log in the middle of the current with my 5 year old girl asking "Daddy what's going on?" She had her life jacket on, but I didn't want to scar this kid for life.

I stayed calm so as not to worry her, and tried shoving and pressing off the log with some spare oars. Nothing. I tried standing up and paddling as hard as I could. Nope. I tried spinning the boat around by paddling. Wouldn't turn. Finally, I tried paddling as hard as I could and rocking and shaking the boat. It finally slid a few inches forward, and then came free. Thankfully she wasn't that scared.

I was convinced that I must have ripped a gaping hole in the bottom of the raft though. The way it's designed, should you rip a hole in any one chamber, the rest of the chambers will not deflate. So I could have ripped one in the bottom and not even know it at first because the sides of the boat and the top of the floor would be just fine. But I didn't notice any difference in the floor, there was no water leaking in from below, and in fact, when we finally ended the trip I flipped it over and checked it out and there weren't even any scratch or stretch marks. This boat is made of some pretty good stuff. Plus it has a very tough rubber/plastic skid plate that runs the length of the boat right down the middle, that's about 4 inches wide. I'm pretty sure that's what we hit on.

We saw some pretty fantastic sights on our river adventure (as she likes to call it). We passed under 3 bridges, saw numerous bluffs, saw bald eagles several times, and the fluffy tails of some deer running along the ridges. I was surprised that, as cold as it still was, we did see a few "Vs" in the water, and I thought we passed over top of some very lazy, very big Asian Carp in a shallow part of the river. I also heard, but did not see, several beavers slapping and jumping in the water as we passed a couple of beaver dams at the mouths of a couple creeks. We were most excited to see the bald eagles. I've fished and hiked and floated on the Meramec for years now and have never seen a bald eagle out there. We saw several (or maybe the same one several times). She kept asking if it was big enough to ride on.

I cannot explain to you how tired I was when we finally finished our 12 mile trek. You'd think that in a river, with all the water moving downstream, that it wouldn't be so tiring to get to the end of the float. But we didn't have that many hours of light, so I had to push it in some areas in order to get to the end in before sundown. We made it just fine though, and actually a full hour faster than my fastest time in a kayak. I was expecting it to take much longer in this bulky raft, but apparently the oar locks, and using 2 oars at once really does improve efficiency.

Lilly had a ton of fun. When putting her to bed last night I asked her what her favorite parts were, and what she liked the most. She talked about a few different things like the birds and when I let her paddle a little. But the very first thing she mentioned was seeing her mommy when we pulled up to the boat ramp at the end.

It was a pretty long trip and she did great. I'm looking forward to the next 113 miles throughout this spring and summer.

Wow, Lee and mattj, you guys live in absolutely beautiful places. And I'm also jealous of Phantasia's island living. :(

I don't know how much people know about Utah besides crazy ignorant Mormons, but the outdoors here are everything you could ask. Biking, hiking, canoeing, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, etc. etc. Though I live way up north, so no arches national park for me. The valley here is surrounded by the Wellsville mountains to the west and Bear River mountains to the east, which I'd take a picture of, but the fog makes them impossible to see right now. Normally they look like:

respectively, but with 20x more snow everywhere.

Here's some pictures of when I climbed the ridge of the Wellsvilles and also of my favorite canyon trail!
Wellsvilles

Logan Canyon

I wish I had better pictures of all the places I've gone, especially the wind caves but I don't usually bring a camera!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm having trouble accepting that these fantastic places seriously exist. Top notch posts you guys!

Dang, you guys live in some really amazing places. If we're posting pictures, I can show you what I get to live in:

It sucks, man. All the grey stuff you see are greenhouses, all the green stuff is meadows. And you get all these mountain ranges. feelsbadman.jpg

Oh, by the way Lee, I really like the view from your house.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was looking forward to spring, but that lying groundhog bastard didn't predict Nemo.

I don't consider myself a hiker or even a fisherman, but more of a naturalist. I am the worst person to go on walks with because if I see a flat rock, wooden plank or log, I HAVE to flip it over to see what is underneath it. Sometimes it drives my family nuts because I'll come home covered with burrs, snakebites, ticks, scratches and all sorts of other unpleasant things.

I live in the suburbs, which doesn't really allow much room for exploration, but thankfully a retention pond that they built a few years back is exceptionally good at retaining water, so its full year-round. Bass and pumpkinseeds have already moved in, as well as bullfrog, painted turtles, kingfishers, herons, snakes and all sorts of insects. It's not the cleanest water, but its certainly lively. I usually spend my time up there are at the park nearby. I love being in the woods or around water. Ironically, I like less rocky land and more rocky water. Rocky terrain is just spiders, rattlesnakes and all kinds of rodents, which I don't like poking around with. Rocky lakes, however, is full of crawfish, green sunfish, water snakes and water bugs that hide under said rocks. Also it is a lot easier to walk in than a muddy bottom, where it tends to like to suck my shoes off.

As a cross country runner and Eagle scout, I'm pretty accustomed to being out on trails just about anywhere I go. My parents always enforced my love of the outdoors by taking my brother and I to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, and some other places. But being from California, nowhere is as familiar to me as the Sierra Nevadas are.

I went to a week long boy scout camp in the Sierras every summer from age 11-17, and that was always awesome. Basically just did stuff like went canoeing, hiking, looking for cool animals and stuff, make shelters out of sticks and rocks and sleep in them, waterfall waterslides, and random other stuff. One year I got a grizzly man rocker for climbing a pine tree and sleeping out in the woods and eating a pinecone so that was cool.

My last year there I wanted to do something epic, so we got 5 guys together, ages 17-18 and went on a "trek." Trek was always regarded as the most extreme thing to do, an intense 3 day hike that only the fit older guys would ever go. My friend and I planned and hiked a 71 mile trek that broke the camp's record of 66 miles, which was set by a guy in our troop a few years previously.
It was probably the coolest experience of my life too. Going 3 days with a T shirt, sweater, 3 pairs of socks and freeballin in swim trunks wasn't even bad. Waking up at 4:30, taking mouthfuls of instant oatmeal mix washed down with purified river water, going to sleep on bare ground when the sun was still out. It was just the best. And hiking all day is pretty fun when it's what you like to do. I remember having a conversation with my friend about whether or not Salamence would be Uber when we got back since that was when the 4th gen council thing or whatever was gonna happen. lolnerdy

I don't have pictures or anything really.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As far as going outdoors goes, Norway is a pretty awesome place. Especially the Freedom to Roam, which says that you can go pretty much wherever you want, and camp almost anywhere you like, as long as you stay away from buildings, gardens and cultivated fields, and you don't stay in one place for too long.

Being at school, I don't have many pictures to show. I've had a few awesome scout trips over the years, the most memorable of which are the annual snow cave trips. We head up in the mountains and dig ourselves some nice holes in the snow, and stay there for a night. Pretty cold the first few times, but as you get used to it and learn the techniques to stay warm, it's quite awesome.

I'm also lucky enough that my family owns a cabin up in the mountains (there are mountains pretty much everywhere in Norway), where we spend a few weekends every year. It's in the middle of nowhere (gorgeous nowhere, luckily), so we use to go for hiking or skiing trips whenever we're up there:

Several nice mountains within half a day's range. The view is great, but as I haven't had a camera until recently, I haven't been able to take that many pics.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Norway is one of the most beautiful countries on the planet and very, very high on my 'i wanna go THERE!!!' list - i am envious!

As a student of outdoor education this is pretty much my thing, over the last few years during school and now after it, I have spent a lot of time in the outdoors. Australia is a beatiful place and there is a lot of hidden wonders that not many people know about.

I generally hike/cross country ski but I have dabbled in swift water stuff too which is a hell of a lot of fun. I didnt manage to get to the snowfields much last winter but I spent a few weeks over winter/spring rafting down a river in east Victoria, we spent a few days at various campsites, and it was freezing cold but it was so much fun and I'd love to keep doing it once my uni course starts. We had to rug up a lot and putting on a icy wetsuit each morning was very difficult which is one of the downsides of Australian rivers, expessially during the current drought due to rivers only being high enough to be able to hit rapids late winter and early spring. Where we went was through national park, and because we had a lot of time we were able to explore a lot of the areas surrounding the river as we paddled and we were very lucky with the weather to be able to do this. There are a lot of a indigenous Australian sites around where we were and they sure were gems, such as hidden waterfalls up gullies and rock caves.

I also went hiking in central gippsland (which is sadly experiencing fires atm) in April and we were pretty high so we got some wonderful veiws. I love hiking because it brings you so much closer to the people you are with and it's so great to get away and not have to think about anything other than where you are and where you will be next. I'm going to be spending a lot of time doing this kinda stuff when I start uni in a few weeks and I'm so keen to get back into it after working a ton the last few months.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Confirming that Australia is absolutely amazing. When I was younger and living there we would spend the large majority of our time outside, there was not a lot else to do where I lived. The advantage of living a bit out of the way was that you get loads of tiny retreats which no tourists know about, unlike the massive beaches along the east coast. Whian Whian falls and Rocky Creek dam were very close to where I was, and I can't wait to go back there this summer.

Obviously London doesn't really have the same sorts of areas, but I have a feeling there are a lot of hidden gems around Durham / Edinburgh, I should probably go find them while I'm studying up here.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
come see me django, it's a no brainer.
sry lee I'm afraid you'll make fun of my southern accent...

Really though I didn't realise how close Blencathra is. If I got the chance it definitely looks like somewhere I'd want to visit; how long do you think you'd need to spend out there to really enjoy it?

Lee

@ Thick Club
eh, one day should be plenty and i can easily put you up if you'd rather not travel there and back in one day (would also allow for added pub time)

Most of my time outside is spent running, but I like doing other stuff too. I have a few pictures of stuff around where I live (Ohio) and some other places I've been in the past few years.
Kayaking some place in Ohio

Another place in Ohio

Wild fauna of Ohio

Some garden/arboretum place

Upper peninsula of Michigan

On an island a little bit off the mainland in lake superior

River in New York

Beaver dam in New York

Place in Maine

Me running in Maine (I think I was 16...)

Waterfall in North Carolina

Mountains in North Carolina

Swamp in South Carolina

Manatee in Florida

Ski area in Colorado

Estes park in Colorado

Lee

@ Thick Club
nice day out here today so i grabbed my camera and escaped from work for a few hours

keep the photos coming guys, I'd like to see some participation from our Canadian and Kiwi friends as they live in beautiful countries too!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm using the cold, snowy weekend to reorganize all of my gear. I want to go from:
two totes, a several bags, and a cooler

to:
one tote, a fishing bag, a first aid bag, and a cooler

For starters, I swapped out my full size Coleman lantern:

for a much smaller, but just as bright Mighty-Lite Single Mantle Lantern:

I also went from 2, pretty big skillets to one extremely small and compact cookware set:

I also took my stove out of the box because it's between two sleeping bags anyway so it'll be safe.

Just those 3 things freed up quite a bit of space.

Do you guys ever have trouble packing everything you need for your adventures? Do you have any tips for packing for hiking or camping? Any special gear that helps? Maybe a collapsing fishing pole, or a cool chair that folds up really small, or the perfect backpack that holds everything you could possibly need?

I've still got to pick up a new, slightly taller and wider tote and a few other essentials that I don't have. I need a new camping chair, larger flashlight, duct tape, bandaids, gauze, and bungee cords to strap everything down. But hopefully, by this weekend, I'll have everything packed and ready so that when the time finally comes I can just grab it and go.

This semester I'm attending a class that has weekly field trips to places with interesting sediment. Riveting, I know, but hey, I love the coast of Northern California!

I'm an avid outdoorsman and I go every week during the spring and summer to go on day hiking trips throughout harriman state park with my brother. I do knife testing with many different good quality survival knives and just love love love the outdoors. Tried hiking in the winter and it's not nearly as great except for the fact that not as many ppl hike during that time and I can test my knives in peace! Here are some pics from this year's winter outing. Pardon for the crappy quality.

Some deer that were about 10 yards away

A little foal that was about 3 yards away from me

Chopping up downed wood from Hurrican Sandy to make a fire. Knife in the picture is a customized Becker BK9 with Honduran rosewood scales

Customized Busse CGFBM knife posing! I love and collect Busse knives though they are pretty darn expensive

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Beautiful pics! What do you mean by "test knives"? Like, as a hobby, or as a job? Also, as someone who's in the market for a good knife I can use both to clean fish, cut rope, a little bit of piece of mind (we have dogs and the occasional mountain lion and whatnot), and just generally use while floating and fishing, that will actually last me a while, do you have any suggestions? Very interested.

Oh, and by "clean fish" I mean everything from:

to

Also, It's been right around freezing and snowing now and then here smack dab in the Midwest. But it's around 60 today and it's going to be 65 and sunny tomorrow.

^ This will be happening. 12 miles from River 'Round Conservation Area to Robertsville State Park. Another leg of our summer-long float trips.

Again, there won't be any, like, white water rapid waterfalls with boulders or anything, but I am a little nervous because I haven't been this far upstream on the Meramec, and the river does make a lot more turns on this leg of our journey. If you'll look just below the Chouteau Access, the river makes two, immediate, fully 180 degree bends. And about halfway between that and the bottom arrow there's some kind of obstruction (probably a bluff) where it sure does look like the river makes a surprisingly sharp 100 degree or so angle. Considering that this isn't a tiny river, there must be some intense bedrock or something to force the river that much out of a straight line in such a small space. I'm pretty sure there'll be a fast current there. Hopefully not too much debris.

By testing knives, I use the knives mainly for woodwork. You can use knives to:

1. carve and whittle sticks into feather sticks to help after igniting a fire to get it larger. Generally a small sturdy knife can do this well, but a big knife can do it too!

2. Chopping wood. Im not talking about chopping big trees down like with axes, and 99% of the time im out in the woods I would never need some thing like an axe to get a fire going (im not building a log cabin or something).

3. Batonning wood by splitting it into smaller pieces. You would do this by hitting the back of a knife as it splits the wood vertically. Very safe method of splitting wood but only a strong knife can do this. A weak knife will easily break. That's why I choose knives that can really take abuse because I know my life would depend on it if the time came.

4. Make rudimentary traps like the figure 4 deadfall trap

Using these methods and more you can build shelter, make a fire (from a single log even!), fend yourself in the wild (although a gun would be better), make traps, and much much more. However, you have to pick the right knife because there are so many being marketed there as "survival" knives. I test these knives to see which ones perform best in different ways and thats what i mean by "knife testing". Its quite fun really. You have to know your laws and regulations though before doing stuff like this. Cant take a 10 inch bladed knife out in surburbia.

For cleaning fish and hunting/skinning, the type of knife would obviously be a smaller, thin 4-6inch bladed knife with a good upswept blade for more belly. I would recommend for a stainless steel knife with good edge retention. There really isnt need for a super strong, powerful steel knife since you won't be eating wood and beating on the knife like I do. My recommendation for you is the stainless steel mora knives which are extremely cheap ($15 a pop) and super sharp. In eth knife community, moras are regarded as the best "bang for buck" fixed blade knives for wood crafting and general knife use.

Check out the Mora fishing knives here http://www.bensbackwoods.com/fishing/
For carving wood or general bushcraft as we call it, check out the Mora knives here http://www.bensbackwoods.com/mora-of-sweden/

There are also customs knives which are more expensive that also get the job done brilliantly, but I won't get into that yet. The Mora's are not chinese made and they're not junk. They're made in sweden where the people there use them regularly. I'd start there first and move forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)