5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Not sure if anyone can help me, but I've tried RNGing a few times with no results. I'm using RNG Reporter 9.96.5 and a 3DS XL with MAC address 9C-E6-35-E1-21-B0. After trying to get shiny wild pokemon and failing a few times, I used the on-site guide rather than YouTube guides with the most basic situation: getting a certain IV spread with starting frame and target frame both 1. I try to start up the game at the exact time using EonTimer, and then use Sweet Scent, but Pokecheck shows that I did not get that certain IV spread, and the nature is nowhere on the list of nearby frames. I'm fairly sure that I have the correct DS parameters as this is the second time I do it.
Thanks a ton to anyone who can help.
If you got the wrong IV's it's because you hit the wrong seed--either because of a wrong Timer0 or not starting the game at the right time. You said you started the game at the exact time. Are you taking into account your delay (7-8 sec for a 3ds)?

I am trying to RNG Cobalion, and I have managed to find a Shiny Frame as low as 232.

That's where the good news end, as I can't seem to hit that Shiny Frame, and I can't pinpoint what causes it, while it is probably a mixture of the following:

Wandering NPCs in that humongous route.
Timer0 fluctuating so badly that I've only gotten a single 5 IV Cobalion (non shiny test capture) so far
Human error with Chatot counting.

So, can anyone help me figure this out?

Also, am I supposed to check the "Memory Link" box?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's most likely a combination of 1 and 2. Unfortunately, you'll just have to keep trying, as there isn't much else you can do to increases you chances of getting it.

It's not ticked in my profile, so yeah.

So basically, I should just try over and over again with no guidance until I hit frame 232 while hitting the timing correctly?

Do the NPCs advance the PID Frame even if I open the menu asap, do the chatot skipping and then close it and talk to Cobalion asap?

^If you were able to calibrate successfully, it is unlikely that you'd do something wrong hitting another seed.

So basically, I should just try over and over again with no guidance until I hit frame 232 while hitting the timing correctly?

Do the NPCs advance the PID Frame even if I open the menu asap, do the chatot skipping and then close it and talk to Cobalion asap?
The NPCs shift the initial frame by a certain amount when you load the game, even if they arent given time to move around.
That said, they won't advance more frames if you arent viewing the overworld.

If you got the wrong IV's it's because you hit the wrong seed--either because of a wrong Timer0 or not starting the game at the right time. You said you started the game at the exact time. Are you taking into account your delay (7-8 sec for a 3ds)?
I didn't know the delay was that much, that could be the problem then. How can I properly calibrate EonTimer?

Try in an area without wnpcs first. Comfirm your seed before attempting to engage in battle, by either the save spinner test or the chatot test.
I'm on Unova Route 20, so no wandering NPCs as far as I know. I'm quite early in the game so I have no chatots, what is the save spinner test?

I'm on Unova Route 20, so no wandering NPCs as far as I know. I'm quite early in the game so I have no chatots, what is the save spinner test?
Go to researcher-bwrng-32bithigh>>29, input your seed. The Custom1 column in the list generated should now contain random numbers from 0 to 7. These mark the starting position of the hand of the spinning pointer when you save ingame, on the corresponding frame. 0 means straight up, 1 up-right corner, 2 straight right, 3 lower-right corner, etc. So if for example your starting frame is 50, you look in the list and finds 5, then when you load the game you should have the pointer start at lower-left corner the first time you save. If it doesnt, then most likely you missed your seed.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler

The fact that you are not getting right IV's means you are not hitting your seed. If it is in fact the Timer0, then the only thing you can do is keep trying. What's your seed info, and what time are you starting your DS? When you do hit your seed, what results are you getting?

Edit: Once you do hit your seed, number of advances = target frame - initial frame is a good place to start to know how many advances you have to do. It will give you the wrong number of advances needed though with WNPCS on the route, but it will get you close.

I didn't know the delay was that much, that could be the problem then. How can I properly calibrate EonTimer?
It can vary for people, so it might not actually be 8 sec for you. What delay were you getting when you found your parameters?

Last edited:
Go to researcher-bwrng-32bithigh>>29, input your seed. The Custom1 column in the list generated should now contain random numbers from 0 to 7. These mark the starting position of the hand of the spinning pointer when you save ingame, on the corresponding frame. 0 means straight up, 1 up-right corner, 2 straight right, 3 lower-right corner, etc. So if for example your starting frame is 50, you look in the list and finds 5, then when you load the game you should have the pointer start at lower-left corner the first time you save. If it doesnt, then most likely you missed your seed.
Okay, I'll give that a try. In case Pokebank comes out soon and I get some Chatot onto here, I assume the Chatot test is making sure the pitches match up with what is predicted in RNG Reporter?

It can vary for people, so it might not actually be 8 sec for you. What delay were you getting when you found your parameters?
Not sure, I should have done that when I first found parameters. I suppose I'll double-check that. EDIT: Just checked, it's an 8-second delay.

Last edited:
It's been a few months, but I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Just make sure you're not using your ID/SID in the profile. It goes by the event's ID/SID. So, 07012/00000 if it's the one I'm looking at on project pokemon's event database.
Hi! Do I have to use the wondercard method or the GLAN Wondercard? I've tried the wondercard method and I hit my target frame, but the pokemon was not shiny.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi! Do I have to use the wondercard method or the GLAN Wondercard? I've tried the wondercard method and I hit my target frame, but the pokemon was not shiny.
What wondercard are you trying to do shiny?

Pretty much, assuming you don't trip the step counter, and advance the IVRNG (make as few steps as you can).
Okay, I'll try it out tomorrow where I can encounter Thundurus in a favorable route. Thanks for your help! Can't guarantee that this will be the last of my requests. :P

Tried it 3 times and got it once, most likely out of luck. Does this mean that I have the wrong DS parameters, or am I messing something else up?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Tried it 3 times and got it once, most likely out of luck. Does this mean that I have the wrong DS parameters, or am I messing something else up?
Yeah so with an 8 sec delay you should press A at the ds menu 8 sec before the time for your seed, as you established before. I doubt you're doing anything wrong, 1:3 is pretty good. Are you using keypresses? The Timer0 is pretty temperamental so I would just keep trying. If it starts to be excessively wrong, then you may want to recalibrate.

Yeah so with an 8 sec delay you should press A at the ds menu 8 sec before the time for your seed, as you established before. I doubt you're doing anything wrong, 1:3 is pretty good. Are you using keypresses? The Timer0 is pretty temperamental so I would just keep trying. If it starts to be excessively wrong, then you may want to recalibrate.
Okay, I'll try it out more and see if it works more than 1/8 of the time. What is Timer0, and how temperamental is it? I've tried about 10 seeds now and only 1 gave the expected results.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Okay, I'll try it out more and see if it works more than 1/8 of the time. What is Timer0, and how temperamental is it? I've tried about 10 seeds now and only 1 gave the expected results.
It's just one of the several DS parameters that is used when the game generates the seed. Beyond that, I really have no clue what it is. Kinda just a magical number that's never what you want it to be haha. It varies, but it's usual to have only 1 or 2 Timer0's in B/W and ~5 (or more) in B/W 2. So it's not unusual for it to be wrong a lot. There will be one that's more common than the rest though, and that's the one you want to aim for. It's worth trying every seed several times before moving onto the next though, since it's not going to be like 1 seed works every time, and the others never. People have more luck getting the right one by using a timer (so you can start the game at the same time consistently), but beyond that there's nothing you can do except to hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)