XY OU 8 Immunities and 1 WTF moment

1.Introduction and Team Building Process
Hello and welcome to my new RMT 8 Immunities and 1 WTF moment. First I am covering every pokemon very deeply (except Talonflame and Starmie because they have pretty standart sets that I did not change massivly) leading to somewhat lengthy texts. I tried my best to write them as entertaining as I can but for those of you that dont want to read them: I can understand you ^^. Then I will talk just a little bit about the tactic of the team. But before we get started I will go over the Team Building Process just really quick for those of you that want to see it. For the ones that wont read the TBP I will say Happy reading already here.^^
I started with a Goodra and Politoed core.

Then I added Ttar to have a lead.

After Ttar came Doublade as a second physical wall.

Then I added both Talonflame and Starmie to have 2 heavy DMG dealers.

2.The Team

3.The Pokemon In-depth

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide

I use Ttar as my lead, because it offers a broad variety of possiblities to counter certain threads in his role as a lead. His move pool is not only extremly good for offensive use but also for his use as a utility lead. Stealth Rock is a extremly important move in the meta game, punishing every switch your opponent makes. This is an extremly valuable trait on this team,the 7 type immunities and the overall bulk of the team will force a lot of switches in a match granting me a good abuse of the SR. Ice Beam is used to counter Lando and other common leads e.g. SR Chomp. Thunder Wave is used as a counter to set up Sweepers (e.g. lead Dragonite with DDance and not Lum Berry) or common switch-ins like Greninja which is left more or less useless after a Thunder Wave. The last slot goes to Rock Slide.The reason behind this is that I valued the higher accuracy and the exceeding amount of PP of Rock Slide more than the higher DMG of Stone Egde. Rock Slide kills a lot of threads in this meta game anyway(I will put some stats below).

Normally after setting up SR/Thunder Wave or forcing a switch. I have to switch out myself to negate possible DMG income. This is quite easy since out of Ttars 7 weaknesses I have 4 immunities on my team (being Grass/Water/Fighting/Ground) leaving only a small amount of pokemon that I cant find a direct answer to. This usually puts me into a slight advantage at the start of the game.

Overall is Ttar the one pokemon on the team I would switch out quite freely, reason being that Sandstorm doesnt help my team out a lot. It gives a little bulk to Ttar and it lets me get an idea for the speed of every non-rock/steel/ground type pokemon in comparison to my own. The downside of the Sandstorm is that it completly negates the leftovers on Politoed and makes the life of Talonflame a little harder because he takes the Sandstorm DMG in addtion to the LO,BB and Flare Blitz recoil making him even more reliant on the possibility to get of a roost.

What I counter:

4 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 508-604 (171 - 203.3%)
4 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 552-652 (185.8 - 219.5%)
4 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 278-330 (92.9 - 110.3%)
4 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus: 282-332 (94.3 - 111%)
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 300-356 (78.5 - 93.1%)
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 336-396 (105.3 - 124.1%)

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Power Whip
- Slugde Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Now we come to this lovley Goodra. I know this set looks very random so I will try to explain it as much as I can to help you can follow my thought process that went into it. This set aims to be a incredible special wall which is able to take almost any special move that is thrown at it while also utilizing the amazing ability Sap Sipper paired with a good move coverage to punish the pokemons it will mostly be switch into. Now we come to a more in-depth look at the set:

First of all the ability: Sap Sipper is a extremly good ability in this team because my lead and Politoed(my hazer) are weak to Grass giving me a lot of free switch opportunities. In addition to that the current OU meta is filled with a lot of grass utility move e.g. Spore, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed that help a lot of pokemon to set-up or gain a free switch. Which gets countered by Goodra switching in and undermining that strategy.

The EVs try to maximise the offensive powers that Goodra has to offer. Inparticular the 244 SpA EVS are used to OHKO a Ferrothorn with Fire Blast and deal a Mega Venusaur about 50% DMG with a Draco Meteor. The 252 HP EVs are vital because they underline the postion of Goodra as a Off-tank. Since I had 12 EVs left I decided to put them into Att to strengthen the offensive power of Goodra.

The nature seems a bit off at the first sight. However,it is the only way to strengthen Goodras offensive powers with out harming its speed or its SpD. Also you want to avoid that Goodra takes physical DMG anyway because the Defense of Goodra is quite bad.

The move pool of Goodra is actually really small so I decided to take the best of both worlds(wink wink). Draco lets you counter CharY completly and Talonflames that switches into you for a quick kill.Draco Meteor is a move who is a must on this set. You run a mixed set so you can use DM once and then switch to Power Whip without losing any DMG output giving you a good way to counter a wall switching in. Fire Blast is extremly good to kill steel types that want to switch into you or plant types like Breloom and Ferrothorn. Slugde Wave is the best way to counter fairy types that want to switch into you like Megavoir or Clefable. Power Whip is a really solid choice because it hit Azumarill and other pokemon so hard. Without a boost it does about 70% DMG to the most common Azumarill sets and with plus 1 it can kill Azumarill after SR DMG.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Scald

- Earth Power

- Clear Smog

- Recover
Here you see the second unorthodox set I am running on this team...wait this isnt Politoed anymore. Thats right as Mysteria pointed out Gastrodon is by far a suprior poke then Poli is this postion.​

His typing is excellent on this team because his only weakness (grass) is already covered via Goodra. Granting a huge snyergy boost in the team. The second thing that his typing brings to the team is that he is not hurt by Sandstorm. As simple as this sounds it has a huge impact on the team, strengthening Ttars postion as a lead.

Scald and Earth Power are the two STABs on him granting a good coverage. Clear Smog enables him to cripple Set-up users nulifying there boosting moves. Recover is a superb move to keep him healthy and in the game which is another huge advantage over Politoed.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Att / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Again I run a pokemon which is not seen that often in OU. However, the set I use on it is pretty standart for UU (see told ya it is not an unorthodox set). Still I am going to explain why I think it is a niche pick in the OU meta at the moment.

First of all it has one of the best defensiv typings in the game at the moment having 3 immunities, 9 resistances and only 4 weaknesses. All of them are check by my team pretty neatly. Not only that but with his base 150 Def this beast can take most physical moves with ease. Combine that with an Eviolite and you have more bulk than Aeigslash had/has (which is still way better than doublade altough it has only one sword). Altough you will cry if it has to take any special move, an EQ or a Knock Off (trust me you will cry). Not only his Def is great but also his Att with a base of 110 which is only 15 points below Bisharp which is one of the most terrifying attackers in OU. His ability No Guard is more or less useless on this set and it has no impact on his own performance.

The combination of Sleep Talk and Rest allows him to take any Thunder wave or Will o Wisp that is thrown at him since he can just heal it of and Sleep talk a bit. That also gives him the ability to be somewhat of a status sponge which is a quite nice niche spot on the team and is often not expected. RestTalk in combination with Eviolite allows you to sponge enormous amounts of DMG. However, the more I like RestTalk the more I hate it since Sleep Talk is a horrifyingly unreliant move that I like to call focus miss 2.0. Gyro Ball and Sacred Sword give a somewhat decent coverage which is most times really good and you will be totally fine with it but sometimes you will miss the Ghost type STAB. I tested other sets of Doublade in OU but I think that the RestTalk set is still the best because a lot of OU threats e.g. Breloom have a really hard time to deal with this set.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Roost
This is the standart Galewing Attacker Talonflame. We have all seen it, faced it and played it. Meaning we all know this thing is really really fragile but hits like a total train. He serves me as my pivot and my revenge killer. The problem I have with him he is pretty much useless if SR are up and my Starmie is dead and that I have to much recoil on him. However, I did not find a solid sub for LO on him.

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
In the B/W meta game this was an ominpresent spiner in OU because of his good move pool, his good SpA and his good Speed. I think that Starmie is still a very viable spinner in this meta game and just vanished from OU more or less for some reason I really dont get. He gives me the much needed SpA in this team being kind of a counterpart to Talonflame as a fast Special sweeper. Also his coverage is really important in the team allowing me to fight Lando and Dragon type pokemons.

4.General Tactic

At the start of the game I have 2 priorities: 1. Get Rocks up 2.Dont let the any hazard touch the field
Depending on how successful I was with these 2 I try to develope a game plan. I try to look for the biggest threat for my team and I think of a way to gain control over the match either by getting the switch advantage and keeping it or by nullifying their win options.Everything else is mostly reacting in the situation and keeping yourself straight and away from overpredicting which is hard to come back from because I dont run a lot of sweepers which can turn a game around quickly.

5.The End

Thank you for reading through it. I hope you enjoyed reading my little RMT. If you see any mistake I did or you have an idea how to improve the team be sure to leave a rate. I wish you a pleasant morning/day/afternoon/evening or night or what ever time you are reading this ^^​

Last edited:
Hi =)

I like the concept of this team, being able to sport some nice immunities and whatnot, but there are a couple of things I do think you can fix.

On Tyranitar, I completely advise you ditch Taunt. Tyranitar is much to slow to use Taunt effectively, and over it, I advise you run Ice Beam. Without Ice Beam, Landorus-T is a complete threat to you, and can hit you hard while -1 Stone Edge does almost nothing. This also scares out Garchomp and Dragonite, who can't OHKO you. I'd also advise a Leftovers or Focus Sash over a Tyranitarite. While you do get increased bulk, you'll miss out on passive recovery or on the chance to guarantee a Stealth Rock. And, albeit a bit less important, I think Fire Blast could do you well, as hitting opposing Skarmory and Ferrothorn is very helpful.

Next, on Talonflame, I would seriously advise you opt to go for a Sharp Beak or Choice Band. Both of Talonflame's STABs will always be receiving recoil, and the recoil from Life Orb will seriously wear Talonflame down, to the point where it can be stalled out and will faint to recoil. A Sharp Beak allows you to switch between moves and boosts Brave Bird's power, while a Choice Band will immensely boost the power of any given attack. Now, I'd advise you use Tailwind over Roost. Talonflame finds almost no opportunities to use Roost due to its frailty, and Tailwind can be a last-ditch effort to support your teammates. Albeit situational, it can be very handy.

Next, over Politoed, I'd advise you use Gastrodon. You'll be keeping your immunity to Water-type attacks via Storm Drain, but more importantly, you'll be sporting a much bulkier alternative with only one weakness, as well as an extra immunity (which I can tell you like), that being Electric-type attacks. I understand the utility of both Encore and Haze, and while Gastrodon does not receive Haze, Gastrodon can opt to use Clear Smog, which still removes stat boosts, as well as deal some damage. Steel-types may not be a problem to this, as Gastrodon can also work with Earth Power. To top things off, Gastrodon also has the ability to use Recover.

Lastly, on Goodra, I recommend that you ditch Rock Slide, as Talonflame and Charizard are hit hard enough by Draco Meteor, and you opt for Sludge Bomb. This prevents Fairy-types from walling you or setting up safely on you, and it does tend to be a very handy option at times.

I think that's all. Good luck, and I hope I helped.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Thank you Mysteria for your rate. The first thing I did when I read your rate was facepalm myself, because I did not believe that I overlooked gastrodon for such a long time. It is so much better than Politoed at least in theory. I swaped it in for Politoed and I am testing it at the moment. It seems to solves a lot of problems that were in my team e.g. giving more Sandstorm synergy which Politoed lacks completly. I will add it if I am 100% sure that I am compfy with it.
I see your point with taunt on Ttar so what nature would you recommend ruining with Ice Beam ? I already switched to leftovers on him and it works wonders. Regaring Talonflame I left Roost on him but swap LO out for Sharp Beak altough he misses a bit DMG atm he is way more reliable. I am still no that sure about the move set on Goodra because in my testing Sludge Bomb did little to nothing leaving me a little bit underwhelmed. Also I noticed that I am quite weak to a CM Clefable because it can set-up almost freely on half of my team.Do you have an idea how to overcome this ?

Thank you Mysteria for your rate. The first thing I did when I read your rate was facepalm myself, because I did not believe that I overlooked gastrodon for such a long time. It is so much better than Politoed at least in theory. I swaped it in for Politoed and I am testing it at the moment. It seems to solves a lot of problems that were in my team e.g. giving more Sandstorm synergy which Politoed lacks completly. I will add it if I am 100% sure that I am compfy with it.
I see your point with taunt on Ttar so what nature would you recommend ruining with Ice Beam ? I already switched to leftovers on him and it works wonders. Regaring Talonflame I left Roost on him but swap LO out for Sharp Beak altough he misses a bit DMG atm he is way more reliable. I am still no that sure about the move set on Goodra because in my testing Sludge Bomb did little to nothing leaving me a little bit underwhelmed. Also I noticed that I am quite weak to a CM Clefable because it can set-up almost freely on half of my team.Do you have an idea how to overcome this ?

Sludge Bomb Goodra can kill CM Clefable off before it gets too crazy, and Talonflame hits hard enough on it. If you're still worried about the Zard Y and Talonflame, you can run Thunderbolt to hit them. As for Tyanitar's nature, I'd run a Sassy nature to not drop any of the stats you need while dropping Speed.

Sludge Bomb Goodra can kill CM Clefable off before it gets too crazy, and Talonflame hits hard enough on it. If you're still worried about the Zard Y and Talonflame, you can run Thunderbolt to hit them. As for Tyanitar's nature, I'd run a Sassy nature to not drop any of the stats you need while dropping Speed.
Nah Talonflame and any Zard is not a problem.However, I dont think you are that rigth about CM Clefable.Here are some cacls:
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (that is pretty ok i guess)

244 SpA Goodra Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 190-224 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 206-246 (53.6 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (basicly after one CM I have only one check which is reliant on the fact no SR are up which is really risky)

Nah Talonflame and any Zard is not a problem.However, I dont think you are that rigth about CM Clefable.Here are some cacls:
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (that is pretty ok i guess)

244 SpA Goodra Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 190-224 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 206-246 (53.6 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (basicly after one CM I have only one check which is reliant on the fact no SR are up which is really risky)
If need be, you can use Heatran over Doublade. You'll be missing out on your Fighting-type immunity (which your teams isn't necessarily too weak to outside of Tyranitar), but you will effectively counter CM Clefable, as well as keep your Poison-type resist. Not to mention, you also keep a great defensive typing.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Hey

Just a couple of quick things
Doublade really needs max SDef to take on MGard who otherwise rips through your team easily. 240 HP / 252 SDef is enough to avoid the 2HKO from Hyper Voice.
The rest go in Atk and I don't think you miss any important KOs

Also try SDef TFlame w/ Taunt, Roost, Brave Bird and either WoW or Bulk Up.
That set allows you to take on CMClef and stall better. Wisp allows you to get better utility out of it an BU keeps your win condition and shits on stall. Lefties is preferred but you can run no item to check Sharp better if your running Wisp. 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Atk

This team may be great defensively but it lacks offensive capability. Goodra and Starmie aren't top offensive threats, Talonflame is, but its moveset lowers its ceiling. But I have a few changes that should help you. The first change would be to use Swords Dance over U-turn on Talonflame. Swords Dance transforms Talonflame into an even deadlier threat that can rip through unprepared or weakened teams thanks to Talonflame's superior speed and its ability, Gale Wings. Using Excadrill over Starmie would give your team a top tier offensive threat that's capable of ripping teams apart when supported with Sandstorm. Excadrill is an excellent late-game sweeper and like Starmie, Excadrill can remove hazards with Rapid Spin. It's definitely worth using with Ttar. Since you want to keep Ttar active to constantly provide Sandstorm support try using Leftovers instead of Tyranitarite. Also, don't use it to check Landorus-T, Gliscor, and other ground types since Earthquake will severely hurt Tyranitar. Ice Beam should be used to hit Ground types on switch ins. But because of my last change and a future change you should consider using Fire Blast instead of Ice Beam to get rid of Ferrothorn. I would also use Pursuit over Thunder-Wave to trap Latios, Latias, and other psychic/ghost mon's to ease the load on Doublade. You also provided calc's with Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge in the hidden text under Tyranitar, I'm not quite sure why. Finally, I suggest using Mega Gyarados over Gastrodon. Mega-Gyarados is a deadly threat in OU thanks to its insane Attack, decent defenses, and its ability to boost its Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance. It can really punch through opposing teams, essentially opening up holes for Talonflame and Excadrill to exploit. Despite the changes, the team still has excellent synergy. I hope I was able to help. Good Luck with the team.
change U-Turn to Swords Dance.
change Tyranitarite to Leftovers, Thunder-Wave to Pursuit, and Ice Beam to Fire Blast.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Last edited:
Hey

Just a couple of quick things
Doublade really needs max SDef to take on MGard who otherwise rips through your team easily. 240 HP / 252 SDef is enough to avoid the 2HKO from Hyper Voice.
The rest go in Atk and I don't think you miss any important KOs

Also try SDef TFlame w/ Taunt, Roost, Brave Bird and either WoW or Bulk Up.
That set allows you to take on CMClef and stall better. Wisp allows you to get better utility out of it an BU keeps your win condition and shits on stall. Lefties is preferred but you can run no item to check Sharp better if your running Wisp. 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Atk
The change to SDef was so good thx for the idea it works wonders. It still is really weak on the Special side but it can take much more with out going KO. I tried the Talonflame set and I really like it on other teams cuz I love Bulk Up plus Taunt. However, on this team it lacks the direct offensiv power to revenge kill something or OHKO. Thx for the help ^^

This team may be great defensively but it lacks offensive capability. Goodra and Starmie aren't top offensive threats, Talonflame is, but its moveset lowers its ceiling. But I have a few changes that should help you. The first change would be to use Swords Dance over U-turn on Talonflame. Swords Dance transforms Talonflame into an even deadlier threat that can rip through unprepared or weakened teams thanks to Talonflame's superior speed and its ability, Gale Wings. Using Excadrill over Starmie would give your team a top tier offensive threat that's capable of ripping teams apart when supported with Sandstorm. Excadrill is an excellent late-game sweeper and like Starmie, Excadrill can remove hazards with Rapid Spin. It's definitely worth using with Ttar. Since you want to keep Ttar active to constantly provide Sandstorm support try using Leftovers instead of Tyranitarite. Also, don't use it to check Landorus-T, Gliscor, and other ground types since Earthquake will severely hurt Tyranitar. Ice Beam should be used to hit Ground types on switch ins. But because of my last change and a future change you should consider using Fire Blast instead of Ice Beam to get rid of Ferrothorn. I would also use Pursuit over Thunder-Wave to trap Latios, Latias, and other psychic/ghost mon's to ease the load on Doublade. You also provided calc's with Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge in the hidden text under Tyranitar, I'm not quite sure why. Finally, I suggest using Mega Gyarados over Gastrodon. Mega-Gyarados is a deadly threat in OU thanks to its insane Attack, decent defenses, and its ability to boost its Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance. It can really punch through opposing teams, essentially opening up holes for Talonflame and Excadrill to exploit. Despite the changes, the team still has excellent synergy. I hope I was able to help. Good Luck with the team.
change U-Turn to Swords Dance.
change Tyranitarite to Leftovers, Thunder-Wave to Pursuit, and Ice Beam to Fire Blast.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
Yeah mate you spoted 2 mistakes I did over look lol ^^. Both on Ttar I forgot to change Stone Egde to Rock slide on this set(I used to run SE) and the second was that I already changed the item to leftis. Now to your changes: I adopted the Excadrill tho I am not to sure if I want Mold Breaker or Sand Rush both have the ups and downs. However, I have the felling that it leaves the team very weak on the Special offensiv side so it is not 100 % it will stay. I tried MegaDos and the performence underwhelmed me(really hard) I think it just does not fit into this team. I am unsure about the U-Turn for Sword Dance change. I mean yes with SD I can rip trough teams but I missed U-Turn a lot also I had problems to find possibilities to set up with Talonflame, because it is so squishy. Thx for the help mate ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)