A Guide to Semi-Weather

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Introduction
We've all heard of weather teams - they are teams designed to use and abuse the weathers within the game (which can be used within multiplayer battles (i.e. no fog-based teams in D/P/Pt due to no fog-inducing moves or abilities)). It is very basic stuff, and very easy to build a team around in some instances, for example a typical sun team by the end of the BW2 era would have Ninetales to set the sun, Donphan to rapid spin away Stealth Rock, Venusaur to power through the opposition with a Chlorophyll boost, and Gastrodon to serve as a good check to the ever-present rain teams, wheras a typical rain team would have Politoed, Keldeo, Tentacruel and something to deal with Gastrodon - with the best way of dealing with it (Ludicolo) dropping to the depths of NU due to Drizzle + Swift Swim clause. However, weather got a big nerf with the release of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, and some of the OU gods of old, including the aformentioned Politoed and Ninetales, dropping from glory right down to the depths of NU. This means that full-on weather teams no longer dominate OU, and have become, overall, much less viable than before. It is now disadvantageous to have an entire team reliant on weather to succeed, and players started to take a different approach to the playstyle - starting to make teams which were only partially reliant on weather, and the setters became more like add-ons rather than vital team members. This is how semi-weather was born.

Contents
1. Introduction
1.1 Contents​
2. Key mechanics changes from B/W
2.1 The new mechanics of weather abilities
2.2 The effect of weather rocks on weather abilities​
2. Key differences from full weather teams
3. The Weather Setters
3.1 Mega Charizard Y
3.1.1 Recommended sets
3.1.2 About Mega Charizard Y​
3.2 Ninetales
3.2.1 Recommended sets
3.2.2 About Ninetales​
3.3 Politoed
3.3.1 Recommended sets
3.3.2 About Politoed​
3.4 Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar
3.4.1 Recommended sets
3.4.2 About Tyranitar​
3.5 Hippowdon
3.5.1 Recommended sets
3.5.2 About Hippowdon​
3.6 Abomasnow and Mega Abomasnow
3.6.1 Recommended sets
3.6.2 About Abomasnow and Mega Abomasnow​
4. About the playstyle
4.1 Strategies
4.2 Key Threats
4.2.1 Offensive
4.2.1.1 Sun
4.2.1.2 Rain
4.2.1.3 Sandstorm
4.2.1.4 Hail
4.2.1.5 Weather-Neutral​
4.2.2 Defensive
4.2.2.1 Sun
4.2.2.2 Rain
4.2.2.3 Sandstorm
4.2.2.4 Hail
4.2.2.5 Weather-Neutral​
4.2.3 Supportive
4.2.3.1 Sun
4.2.3.2 Rain
4.2.3.3 Sandstorm
4.2.3.4 Hail
4.2.3.5 Weather-Neutral​
5. Conclusion

Key Mechanics Changes from B/W
The New Mechanics of Weather Abilities

As I mentioned before, an major event, which has sinse been dubbed the weather nerf, took the competitive scene as we knew it and flipped it on its head. With Politoed no longer being the centre of almost every team, the metagame has become a very different environment - with OU staples from the generation 5, such as Gastrodon, Politoed, Tentacruel and Jellicent, now sitting in the depths of the lower tiers, it has let things which were previously outshined, such as Quagsire, rise above and beyond the call of duty. All of this metagame shifting was caused by one change to the mechanics: the abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream and Snow Warning now imitate the moves Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm and Hail upon switch-in, respectively. The legality of Politoed and Ninetales in UU very quickly led to quick bans of their respective abilities, which was the last nail in the coffin for Drought and Drizzle's widespread use. And all of this was caused by an otherwise positive mechanic change.

The Effect of Weather Rocks on Weather Abilities
One of the first things that players noticed with the new mechanics was that the weather rocks - four items which boost the duration of weather from the moves Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm and Hail, respectively - boosted the duration of the abilities which summoned their respecive weathers. This added a new dimention of teambuilding to players using Ninetales and Politoed, but had no effect what-so-ever on Pokémon with Sand Stream and Snow Warning. This new evolution of competitive play added a whole new dimention to preparing against said threats, meaning that teams which were weak to the specific weathers would usually carry something to stall for the eight turns that it took for the weathers to dissapate.

Key Differences From Full Weather Teams
The main difference from full weather teams is that semi weather teams can all still function if their weather clears up. This is a big advantage over full-on weather strategies as said teams are completely crippled if they lose their respecive weather setter, wheras it isn't the end of the world should you lose your weather setter on semi-weather teams, meaning that, at best, you may be left with a Ludicolo which isn't going to do much. This had a dramatic effect on how people started to teambuild around Pokemon such as Politoed and Ninetales. Generally speaking there are typically only one or two weather abusers on semi-weather teams, wheras full weather teams could have as many as four or five abusers of the weather.

The Weather Setters
Mega Charizard Y

Typing: Fire-/Flying- --> Fire-/Flying-
Base Stats: 78 HP / 84 Atk / 78 Def / 109 SpA / 85 SpD / 100 Spe --> 78 HP / 104 Atk / 78 Def / 159 SpA / 115 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Blaze / Solar Power [Hidden] --> Drought

Recommended Sets
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid / Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost / Dragon Pulse

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive / Naughty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Solar Beam
- Earthquake
- Roost

About Charizard and Mega Charizard Y
Mega Charizard Y is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier thanks to its ability: Drought. This means that Mega Charizard Y has shot up, and has made Charizard - an old NU Pokémon - into the most used Pokémon in OU, with Mega Charizard Y being the most used mega evolution. With a great movepool to use, Charizard is all of a sudden an unpredictable threat with two mega evolutions. Mega Charizard Y is used more than its X counterpart due to Drought and a massive base 159 special attack stat to abuse, turning it into a powerful wallbreaker. However, it isn't without drawbacks. While it is, on the whole, better than its X counterpart, it still posesses the crippling typing of its original form rather than the Dragon-type that its brother gained access to. This gives it a whopping 4x Stealth Rock weakness, which means that it is completely dependent on Rapid Spin or Defog support to succeed. Furthermore, it isn't exactly the most reliable refresher of sun as it needs to mega evolve, meaning that you can't disrupt the opponent's right off the bat. This means that, the other Drought user is better for early-game weather setting. That Pokémon is...

Ninetales

Typing: Fire-
Base Stats: 73 HP / 76 Atk / 75 Def / 81 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire / Drought [Hidden]

Recommended Sets
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SDef / 120 Spd
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SDef / 120 Spd
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp

About Ninetales
Ninetales is more reliable early- and mid-game to refresh the sun than Mega Charizard Y is. This is because of Drought being one of its base abilities rather than an ability which can only be obtained during the battle. Furthermore, Ninetales can hold Heat Rock to let the sun last longer than that which Mega Charizard Y summons. This gives the otherwise inferior Ninetales a niche over the otherwise superior Charizard as a reliable refresher. It is also better defensively than Mega Charizard Y despite having lower defensive stats as it lacks a 4x Stealth Rock weakness, meaning that it can switch into Stealth Rock more often than Charizard can. However, it is still weak to Stealth Rock, meaning that it does still need Rapid Spin or Defog support to function. However, it is not as vital for Ninetales before every switch-in than it is with Charizard. Furthermore, one of Ninetales' best sets from last generation - Nasty Plot - lost viability with the transfer to generation six as it is now completely outclassed as an offensive sun user by the likes of Mega Charizard Y and Mega Houndoom. Ninetales, while argubly the worst of the weather setters, does still have a small niche in standard play.

Politoed

Typing: Water
Base Stats: 90 HP / 75 Atk / 75 Def / 90 SpA / 100 SpD / 70 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb / Damp / Drizzle [Hidden]

Recommended Sets
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore / Hypnosis
- Hypnosis / Ice Beam / Rest

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis / Psychic / Scald

About Politoed
Politoed was one of the best Pokémon in OU last generation, but, similarly to Ninetales, it has fallen from glory. Sitting in the depths of NU with its rival Ninetales, Politoed's use saw a drop due to the weather nerf. The nerf caused Politoed to now need the ability to come in more often than before. However, rain is still considered one of the best weathers, and there no longer being a Drizzle + Swift Swim clause has only helped its cause further. Politoed is still a menace to face on teams which are weak to either Rain or the frog itself, and must be prepared for with care. Politoed can, however, go offensive as it faces no offensive competition in the rain-setting department. The only issue with such sets is that they lack any boosting item as Politoed is basically forced to run Damp Rock in order to do anything useful. Like any other Pokémon, Politoed isn't flawless. The first, most obvious sign of this is those underwhealming stats which are typical of Pokémon seen in NU. Furthermore, Politoed being forced to run the Damp Rock is a major downfall as it can no longer get permanent rain against teams that lack weather. The weather nerf had a huge effect on Politoed, but it is still a highly viable Pokémon on the OU scene.

Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar

Typing: Rock-/Dark- --> Rock-/Dark-
Base Stats: 100 HP / 134 Atk / 110 Def / 95 SpA / 100 SpD / 61 Spe --> 100 HP / 164 Atk / 150 Def / 95 SpA / 120 SpD / 71 Spe
Ability: Sand Stream / Unnerve [Hidden] --> Sand Stream

Recommended Sets
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch / Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam / Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Fire Blast

About Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar
Tyranitar has always been one of the most threatening Pokémon in OU due to its pseudo-legendary status blessing it with a high BST and its great offensive typing. However, the main thing which stops it from being outclassed by Rhyperior as a defensive Rock-type is Sand Stream, and it puts it to good use due to its boosting effect on Rock-types. Tyranitar, as a soul weather-setter, works best on more offensively-oriented and balanced teams as it is generally outclassed as a defensive sandstorm-setter by Hippowdon who, dispite not getting a boost from the sandstorm, has far higher bulk and better defensive typing, making it better on Stall. When Tyranitar got a mega evolution, it became even more monstrous as a physical attacker due to its access to Dragon Dance, turning it into a ferocious booster, and its ability to prevent Mega Charizard Y from decimating it with Solar Beam (on the off-chance it doesn't want to risk Focus Blast missing) due to getting Sand Stream twice, and it means that it can get momentum if they both mega evolve on the same turn. While sandstorm teams are few and far-between, they have just enough offensive Pokémon to get by, like Excadrill, Stoutland, and Mega Garchomp, just to name a few, who have abilities which benefit from sandstorm.

Hippowdon

Typing: Ground-
Base Stats: 108 HP / 112 Atk / 118 Def / 68 SpA / 72 SpD / 47 Spe
Ability: Sand Stream / Sand Force

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Please tell me about information that I am missing and anything else you think I should include. Also, do not forget that this is still being written up, so please don't sat "you forgot to do this section (as indicated in the contents)" if I have not got to that section yet. I am doing it in contents order, and it could take me hours to complete fully.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd mention Ninetails as a weather setter... Charizard-Y is really the only option for Sun.

In general Sun and Hail aren't really all that viable. Charizard-Y has Drought, but most of the time teams aren't built around abusing it whatsoever. Hail is especially unviable, with Aurorus being terrible and M-Aboma being on the verge of complete rejection. If I were you, I'd focus mainly on Rain and Sand as the big weathers, and then give Sun and Hail there own sections and talk about why they're generally not worth using in OU.

Just note that I haven't read anything yet, so if by "semi-weather" you mean just having Zard-Y on your team, then keep Sun :]

Martin

I'm not sure I'd mention Ninetails as a weather setter... Charizard-Y is really the only option for Sun.

In general Sun and Hail aren't really all that viable. Charizard-Y has Drought, but most of the time teams aren't built around abusing it whatsoever. Hail is especially unviable, with Aurorus being terrible and M-Aboma being on the verge of complete rejection. If I were you, I'd focus mainly on Rain and Sand as the big weathers, and then give Sun and Hail there own sections and talk about why they're generally not worth using in OU.

Just note that I haven't read anything yet, so if by "semi-weather" you mean just having Zard-Y on your team, then keep Sun :]
I am listing all of the weather setters as they do all have reasons for use over one another, with Ninetales' being immediate access to Drought and the ability to hold heat rock. Semi weather means that the team isn't completely dedicated to abusing a weather, with 1 or 2 abusers per team tops (outside of the setters), which means that you aren't crippled by the lack of a setter. Hail is there because Abomasnow is still usable, and the ability to disrupt stuff like Tyranitar and Politoed upon switch-in by mega evolving is a big thing. In threats, I am going to mention Pokémon with Snow Cloak (first time I've not called it Snow Veil by accident :)) and Ice Body (assuming that there are any viable Ice Body users in OU, that is) to complement this, as well as actually listing Abomasnow under this as the 100% accurate Blizzards are a big draw, and that coming off of a base 132 SpA is monstrous. I have just realized that I need to include a mechanics section, but I'm due back to class now, so I'll do it later.

I am listing all of the weather setters as they do all have reasons for use over one another, with Ninetales' being immediate access to Drought and the ability to hold heat rock. Semi weather means that the team isn't completely dedicated to abusing a weather, with 1 or 2 abusers per team tops (outside of the setters), which means that you aren't crippled by the lack of a setter. Hail is there because Abomasnow is still usable, and the ability to disrupt stuff like Tyranitar and Politoed upon switch-in by mega evolving is a big thing. In threats, I am going to mention Pokémon with Snow Cloak (first time I've not called it Snow Veil by accident :)) and Ice Body (assuming that there are any viable Ice Body users in OU, that is) to complement this, as well as actually listing Abomasnow under this as the 100% accurate Blizzards are a big draw, and that coming off of a base 132 SpA is monstrous. I have just realized that I need to include a mechanics section, but I'm due back to class now, so I'll do it later.
Ok, if you want to write about them, that's fine. I think I'd make a section about "disadvantages of using weather" or something along those lines, where you talk about how weather (especially Sun and Hail) aren't the best team archetypes due to multiple reasons (Having to continually set weather, using sub-par Pokemon such as Ninetails in order to be effective, limited set-up opportunities, etc.)

Martin

gamer boy what is the status of this?
Exams, so I've got slightly reduced activity. I am spending as much time as possible writing this on word, but it may not be up until sunday (I gave up writing it on the forum after my computer crashed)

I see your in need of aT-tar description, so I'll give you one.

T-tar was not affected by the weather nerf so much, since he can fare well outside of the sand, and he's a pesudo. He has high enough offensive power that unprepared teams going up on this get their asses banned to them. And then it went to get a mega, which is really threatening. But what regular T-tar has over Mega T-Tar is reg t-tar can hold a leftovers and run stall better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)