A guide to trading on smogon

A short preamble
Hello. This is a small guide I've constructed for people who are new to trading on smogon. When I say "trading on smogon" I'm generally referring to the Wifi forum and trade center. This guide was originally intended for the former, but I thought it wouldn't really contribute to smogon if it was just about a sub-forum. Thus, I've gone back and rewritten several things to express the values that will more than likely be found in the trade center when it is fully brought forth.. I've tried to identify every aspect of trading on smogon that sets it apart from the various other sites, and to show that smogon has one of the most solid actualizations of business over wifi.

If you’re starting your little wifi shop in one of smogon’s various trading areas, there are several things to consider when constructing your shop to guarantee business and become successful in your venture.

The Basics
First of all, there's what you should be offering. IVs are ALWAYS a must when trading on smogon. Simply, if you don't know or can't measure a pokemons IVs, no one will want it. The exact same thing goes for EVs, but that doesn't mean that all pokemon should be EV-trained in a trading shop. Several people preferred their pokemon non-EVd when trading.

Common Courtesy in Trading
When trading, there are a few general unstated laws to follow. These laws have stayed prevalent throughout not just smogon, but in several trade stations around the world.

Do not offer a hacked pokemon- It’s fairly self explanatory. Very few traders will want to trade a pokemon that they have worked on for a long period for something someone whipped up in a couple of minutes. Of course there are some morals involved such as what goes beyond the games limits, but the trader will decide what they will trade for and what they will or will not accept.

Do not redistribute pokemon that you receive- Very few people want their pokemon on someone else’s trade thread. If it is, it will usually subtract from the amount of trades the original owner will make with the pokemon. A commonly made mistake for new traders is that they believe, as long as they give away that one copy, they can trade the pokemon. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that because, beyond personally showing the Original owner your boxes first hand, there is no way for anyone to know if you truly traded one copy.

Do not continuously ask for a pokemon-
If the shop owner declines your offer, they obviously do not want anything in your shop. Don't ask the owner again until you've added a new pokemon to your shop.

What’s in Demand.
One of the main philosophies of Smogon trading is that High IVs are always in demand. No matter how many times a pokemon is presented, if someone presents it with better IVs, the pokemon will be a smash hit. However, what is considered in demand beyond that will shift for the current time. One particular group of pokemon that are seemingly always in high demand are legendaries. Since they cannot be bred for and are only available once per play through of a game, good IV'd legendaries can be very hard to find. OU pokemon also have a small niche in trading, despite being common and in most traders boxes, but incoming new traders and simply higher IVs will keep them consistent. The uncommon and yet-to-be-sold are also very valuable, so even though there might not be too much of a use for them to most people, UU’s can come in high demand.

There are two kinds of traders on smogon. There is the somewhat rarer team trader, who almost strictly looks for things to use on his or her team, and then there are the much more common impulse traders. Impulse traders adhere goal spoken many times in-game of "gotta catch 'em all". Their goal is to eventually have a competitive version of every single pokemon. Impulse traders, of course, want the stuff they don't have. The above mentioned aren't exactly in every shop, so traders will hunt down the best of the best from any trade station they can find.

If you want your pokemon to be successful in the spotlight of the trade center, there are certain IVs that you must be prepared to have to get on the pokemon. First and foremost, you need good IVs in whatever stats a certain pokemon’s strength is. No one wants a Medicham with 0 speed and attack or a Hippowdon with 0 HP. For our Medicham example, a good IV recommendation would be 20+/31/15+/0+/15+/31. It’s not recommended that you offer something with an IV going through 0-5 otherwise, no one will want it (Although if the pokemon isn’t using that stat at all, the IV for it doesn’t matter. The same goes for pokemon that need low IVs in a stat for uses such as Gyro Ball or Counter). It is highly recommended that you don't list out any of the pokemons IVs as simply "x". People will naturally be skeptic that the IV might be horrible. Even if the IV is of very little value, it's best to list all of your IVs out.

A good way to acquire parents that will eventually give your final product amazing IVs, is to hunt through smogon trying to find excellent Dittos, or parents with the right nature.

Moves Can Help Too.
There’s a nice way to boost the marketability of a pokemon with ease. Simply giving a pokemon odd moves can make it more likeable. Below are a few examples of simple Add-ons to a pokemon that can make it extremely valuable.

Emerald tutor moves- If you’re a veteran breeder from emerald, you have a huge advantage off the bat. Emerald tutor moves can provide a valuable bonus for the finished pokemon. The elemental punches are a fine example of valuable moves to put on a pokemon for extra marketability.

Hidden powers- Hidden powers are without a doubt difficult to obtain, but as stated before, rare is always an advantage. Many special sweepers rely on the move, so it is a very important aspect for some pokemon.

Strange egg moves- Although not as valuable as the first two, a strange egg move can be helpful when you breed a poke. You never know what the recipient of your pokemon will do with what you gave him, so it can be a good idea to teach one more move to the father before he goes off to breed.

XD Exclusive moves- These are the either the special moves you get from purifying a pokemon, or the tutor moves that can only be taught once per game. These are even more valuable than emerald tutor moves, seeing as how to get one you need a game cube, the game itself, and the patience to soft reset for the pokemon itself.

NYPC moves and other events with special moves- Without a doubt THE rarest pokemon to come by are ones with good moves such as the rare wish Lickitung or Chansey. Having a pokemon with one of these moves (as well as the essential nature and decent IVs) can almost guarantee good business.

Persuading the Customer
Yet another influential part when offering a pokemon is for you to have persuading methods of enticing someone to take what you offer. One of the most prevalent is writing a short paragraph of text describing how your pokemon works in combat or how you obtained it. If you’re your offering a pokemon that is strange and gimmicky with an abnormal set, nature, or IV spread, then this is an absolute necessity. Generally, people will like to see what exactly the pokemon is without reading a thing, so a visual is a great plus. A sprite is the most commonly used and most prevalent, but there are several other ways to show off, such as artwork, older sprites, moving sprites, or the pokemon from some other form of media. If your pokemon is lucky enough to end up in a warstory or on a youtube video, link to it somewhere on the pokemons page. This gives the buyer a chance to actually view your pokemon doing what it does best (of course if it’s sent out and immediately KO’d, it could be counter productive to show it).

You now have the pokemon and are ready to trade. The question is whether or not you are really willing to trade. The Trading station is only as good as the person who owns it. If you’re almost always ready to go on wifi and exchange pokemon with someone, and happily except offers, as well as keep track of offers, you’ll be a very productive trader. If you’re uninspired to engage in many trades and think you don’t have enough time, you won’t be a very productive trader. Neglecting any aspect of what has been mentioned above can be a fatal blow to your productivity. Below are two examples. One is of an excellent trade offer; the other is of a pitiful one.

Weezing-Bold - Levitate
208 HP, 252 Defense, 50 Sp. Attack
HP: 28/Attack: 0/Defense: 30/Sp. Attack: 31/Sp. Defense: 31/Speed: 19
HP Ice 68 -Hidden Power-Thunderbolt-Will-o-Wisp-Pain Split
It just has the basics and nothing more, no style or sass to persuade the buyer.
Weezing ♂ - NEW!
Bold - Levitate
208 HP, 252 Defense, 50 Sp. Attack
HP: 28/Attack: 0/Defense: 30/Sp. Attack: 31/Sp. Defense: 31/Speed: 19
HP Ice 68
~Hidden Power
~Thunderbolt
~Will-o-Wisp
~Pain Split
I've always been a fan of HP Ice on Weezing as it 2HKOs all the OU Dragons 100% of the time and pairs excellently with Thunderbolt to hit Gyarados and give great coverage. The rest is standard (and awesome) Weezing - Pain Split for recovery, Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers before you knock 'em off.

This is a video of me using this Weezing in action. Watch him take down that Salamence with an unexpected HP Ice.

The EV spread is for 320 HP for Leftovers, max Defense for walling and the rest in Sp. Attack.
This however is a fine example of implementing all of the techniques. It has a small visual, lists any special bonuses, and has a nice paragraph listing how the pokemon can operate.

The Breeding project
Do you have nothing to offer a trader or they do not like anything in your shop? No problem! The breeding project is when you breed a pokemon for someone else, they specify if you can redistribute the poke or not, and you receive a certain amount of pokemon from the associate. Whoever you bred it for shares or retains all redistribution rights with or without you (depending about what the two of you agree on before hand).

Other Things to Know
Most pokemon are redistributed by the original breeders, but occasionally pokemon that the owner does not care about who owns it or trades it will come up. This is simply a redistributable pokemon. Usually, the pokemon has been available for a while, it's worth has deteriorated, or the person is just flat out generous.

It is highly recommended, however, (to make it flow a little more easily) that your trade station not consist of nothing but redistributables. With them being sold everywhere else, you will have to have exceptionally low standards and will get yourself barely anywhere. This is incredibly important if you have just opened your shop as redistributables often have little to no value. Better things to ask for than a redistributable (no matter how good they may look) would be for a fancier pokemon from a trade shop or dittos to plant the seeds of what you will be offering next.

Now that you've bred the pokemon, you aren't exactly offering it as the sole copy. Cloning is commonly seen throughout the various trading areas to keep you selling it. The most common method of cloning is action replay cloning. Despite being done with a cheating device, this does not affect the pokemons legitimacy at all.

There are three other methods of cloning seen as well. The first is the GTS cloning glitch. The glitch takes a considerable amount of time to perform, and often results in error. The second is almost never seen any more, Pokesav cloning. Pokesav is an advance hacking program for the game. The reason action replay cloning is more common than Pokesav cloning is that the latter DOES affect the pokemons legitimacy by erasing a series of data. The final one is exploiting the cloning glitch in Emerald. This is known to be a safe method, put it only allows you to clone a pokemon six times a day due to the pal-park (It is possible to import more than 6 pokemon a day, but this will require two GBA version and changing back and forth of your DS's clock). On top of that, you obviously can’t clone pokemon you've bred in your diamond or pearl version.

Services or items can also be offered in exchange for pokes. Common services include, but are not limited to, Cloning, EV-training, EV-reduction, and Leveling up. If offering these services, you generally need: the above criteria for cloning, the Power items and the Pokerus for EV-Training, the EV-reduction berry for EV-reducing, and rare candies for leveling up.

How to Avoid Being Scammed.
Certain precautions must be taken when one is trading left and right with people. Although a majority of traders are good natured souls, there are several scammers that run through occasionally. Below is a simple list of things to lookout for to spot a possible scammer.

Don't be a complete sheep. This is by far the most important thing to take into account to avoid being scammed. Don't blindly trade for something suspicious. You should always be a little cautious of someone offering a near flawless legendary with an awsome hidden power.

Gather some background information. Searching for background information isn’t very difficult at all. Simply looking at a join date or trade history can give valuable background info on the trader.

Know who other traders aren’t trading with. If there’s someone a fellow trader has blacklisted, there is usually a good reason there not trading with them. Just make sure that they didn’t blacklist a person because he insulted them jokingly, or something else trivial.

Beware of continuous, massive updates. If someone adds a triple flawless Azelf one day, adds a quad-flawless adamant Arcanine and a godly timid Octillery the next, and then another assortment of awesomely High IV’d pokemon, be cautious. Sometime making a great pokemon can take anywhere from days, to weeks, to months to breed. If someone’s showing exceptional pokemon left and right, be wary.

If all else fails… The most experienced scammers can easily make a pokemon indistinguishable from a legit one, but there is one loophole around this. There is a method kept secret from many, involving the check of certain hex codes in a pokemon. The programs used to create hacked pokemon delete a string of certain data that can be identified with relative ease.

Special thanks to Anti, CaptKirby, and Mr_Goodbar4321 for their help.

Nice guide you have here, I expect it could help some of the newer Smogon members greatly if they ever bothered reading it lol.
Thank you. I was worried sick this was a piece of junk.

If anybody has any ideas on how to add something to the guide, please post them.

Couple grammar issues here and there (ie: using there instead of their, patients instead of patience), but a solid idea nonetheless.

You may want a tiny bit on how redistributable pokemon have almost no demand in most cases, and thus with the exception of some cool giveaway things that are essentially non-existent elsewhere (i.e. the Latias giveaway Jibaku did) redistributables should probably be avoided early on in trading. Better options are things that will help you breed more effectively, such as dittos or pokemon in large breeding groups (like ground, a male with great IV's in that group can be used for loads of different things).

EDIT: Didn't read closely enough, you did. Still, I think something about getting more effective breeding tools early is a good plan to build a trading thread (empire?!?!).

Couple grammar issues here and there (ie: using there instead of their, patients instead of patience), but a solid idea nonetheless.
tried to hunt down those errors, corrected them as best I could
You may want a tiny bit on how redistributable pokemon have almost no demand in most cases, and thus with the exception of some cool giveaway things that are essentially non-existent elsewhere (i.e. the Latias giveaway Jibaku did) redistributables should probably be avoided early on in trading. Better options are things that will help you breed more effectively, such as dittos or pokemon in large breeding groups (like ground, a male with great IV's in that group can be used for loads of different things).

EDIT: Didn't read closely enough, you did. Still, I think something about getting more effective breeding tools early is a good plan to build a trading thread (empire?!?!).
to tell the truth, I edited my post to accomadate our recomendations, but I did have a small area conserning how piss poor trading just redistributables would be.

I suppose I can type up something about making a sturdy breeding folder, It is essentual.

[edit] Added a little bit of text going on that.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
very good! two things to point out

The final one is exploiting the cloning glitch in Emerald. This is known to be a safe method, put it only allows you to clone a pokemon six times a day due to the pal-park.
the pal park glich lets you send over as many pokemon as you want so long as you have more than 1 adv. game.

And the bit about of puting a description about the pokemon, i dont know/think that you can write a bit about each pokemon on the trade center, mabe chaos will add that later?

the pal park glich lets you send over as many pokemon as you want so long as you have more than 1 adv. game.
that's not a good idea as you'd have to manually trade 6-for-6 to another game (remember, this requires 2 gameboy advances and an old link cable) in order to palpark. 6 a day is fine anyway. If you're getting that many trade offers, god bless you

very good! two things to point out

And the bit about of puting a description about the pokemon, i dont know/think that you can write a bit about each pokemon on the trade center, mabe chaos will add that later?
to the first part, yes I am aware of the glitch and I should inplement that somewere...

to the second part, I'll remind you that this guide was intended to trading in smogon, not just on the trade center. When I was using the term "Trade center" I was refurring to were trades are preformed in geneal in smogon. not just one of the certain parts.

also, chaos has said he will be updateing the trade center with that option.

@cornflakes- Actually, the average experianced trader can get countless offers, just look at anti's shop!

the glitch doesn't require you to trade to another pack, you can use emerald for all palparking.

you palpark once from emerald, say six groudons. you want twelve total in your diamond game though, so you still need to move one more set.

remove the emerald pack and put in say, a leaf green game. set the time of the DS forward one day (so from January 3rd to January 4th), and then try to palpark with Leaf Green. It will tell you the time is different, so adjust the clock and it will say clock has been adjusted, you cannot move pokemon for 24 hours blah blah blah...

switch back to emerald, and voila, you can palpark again!! do this as often as needed.

the glitch doesn't require you to trade to another pack, you can use emerald for all palparking.

you palpark once from emerald, say six groudons. you want twelve total in your diamond game though, so you still need to move one more set.

remove the emerald pack and put in say, a leaf green game. set the time of the DS forward one day (so from January 3rd to January 4th), and then try to palpark with Leaf Green. It will tell you the time is different, so adjust the clock and it will say clock has been adjusted, you cannot move pokemon for 24 hours blah blah blah...

switch back to emerald, and voila, you can palpark again!! do this as often as needed.
true, but you'll still need 2 GBA packs and I've noted that in the guide. but were getting kind of off topic now though...

Alright, I am going to massively grammar edit (my work is pretty much dead - I am the only one in the office right now) lol if that is fine with you

A Short Preamble
Hello. This is a small guide I've constructed for people who are new to trading on smogon. When I say "trading on smogon," I'm generally referring to the Wifi forum and trade center. This guide was originally intended for the former, but I thought it wouldn't really contribute to smogon if it was just about a sub-forum. Thus, I've gone back and rewritten several things to express the values that will more than likely be found in the trade center. I've tried to identify every aspect of trading on smogon that sets it apart from the various other sites, and to show that smogon has one of the most solid actualizations of business over wifi.

In titles, you capitalize everything but prepositions or conjunctions pretty much!!
I do not really like the word ‘values’ in this paragraph…I am not sure exactly what word would replace it though.
I also used the word apart over away
Conduction does not really mean to carry something out…moreso to carry something, so I replaced it with the word actualization, but execution or something would certainly work as well.

If you’re starting your little wifi shop in one of smogon’s various trading areas, there are several things to consider when constructing your shop to guarantee business and become successful in your venture.

The Basics
First of all, there are several things you should be offering. IVs are ALWAYS a must when trading on smogon. Plainly and simply, if you don't know or can't measure a pokemons IVs, no one will want it. The exact same thing goes for EVs, but that doesn't mean that all pokemon should be EV-trained in a trading shop. Several people prefer their pokemon non-EVd when trading.

The can’t measure part is kind of repetitive, since it is really the same as not having taken the time to knowing!
I took the on out of the next sentence, because it did not really make sense

Common courtesy in trading
When trading, there are a few general unstated laws to follow. These laws are prevalent throughout not just smogon, but in several trade stations around the world

Do not offer a hacked pokemon- It’s fairly self explanatory. Very few traders will want to trade a pokemon that they have worked on for a long period for something someone whipped up in a couple of minutes. Of course there are some morals involved that go beyond the games limits, but the trader will decide what they will trade for and what they will or will not accept.

Do not redistribute pokemon that you receive- Very few people want their pokemon on someone else’s trade thread. If it is, it will usually subtract from the amount of trades the original owner will make with the pokemon. A commonly made mistake for new traders is that they believe, as long as they give away that one copy, they can trade the pokemon. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that, because beyond personally showing the Original owner your boxes first hand, there is no way for anyone to know if you truly traded one copy.

The first sentence of this section was really repetitive in a confusing manner – if something is unstated, then it is automatically in effect, so you just need to say unstated, and you said when trading twice, so I took out one instance of it.
In the next sentence, have stayed makes less sense than are..so I changed it!
'had whipped up’ is nonsensical here compared to just saying ‘whipped up’!
That go makes more sense than what here (and go is right not goes)
Also, accept not except.
I changed that to that they believe, since it makes it more logical of a sentence.
Not really any need for semi-colons there, you just had your punctuation slightly off (and because probably sounds better than as here, but that is not a big deal, it just made the punctuation easier to make sense.)

What’s in demand.
One of the main philosophies of Smogon trading is that High IVs are always in demand. No matter how many times a pokemon is presented, if someone presents it with better IVs, the pokemon will be a smash hit. However, what is considered in demand beyond that will shift for the current time. One particular group of pokemon that are seemingly always in high demand are legendaries. Since they cannot be bred for and are only available once per play through of a game, good IV'd legendaries can be very hard to come by and take a lot of patience to obtain. OU pokemon also have a small niche in trading, despite being common and in most traders boxes, but incoming new traders and simply higher IVs will keep them consistent. The uncommon and yet-to-be-sold are also very valuable, so even though there might not be too much of a use for them to most people, UU’s can come in high demand.[/FONT]

Changed in to in demand
The next part just did not refer back to ‘pokemon,’ and it needed to
Moved however to make it work!
I am not sure if it needs to be come by, and take or if it is correct as is…
Would need to be ‘pouring in,’ or just simply incoming instead.
Despite makes the sentence make more sense, and every is a declarative statement, I just made it most to make it less aggressive (even though I like making declarative statements!)
Changed the UU statement as well to make it less aggressive a statement (declaring something is 100% true is just generally impossible)

There are two kinds of traders on smogon. There is the somewhat rarer team trader, who almost strictly looks for things to use on his or her team; and then there are the much more common impulse traders. Impulse traders adhere to the goal spoken many times in-game of "gotta catch 'em all". Their goal is to eventually have a competitive version of every single pokemon. Impulse traders, of course, want the stuff they don't have. The above mentioned aren't exactly in every trade thread, so traders will hunt down the best of the best from any trade station they can find.

I think maybe the semi-colon should just be a comma?
The next part needed a then to flow well!
Adhere to makes more sense than ‘have’
The comma here made it a run-on, and I am pretty sure of will fix that up!
Very is repetitive here, as best of the best already precludes that it must be very good

If you want your pokemon to be successful in the spotlight of the trade center, there are certain IVs that you must set be prepared to have to get on the pokemon. First and foremost, you need good IVs in whatever stats a certain pokemon’s strength is. No one wants a Medicham with 0 speed and attack or a Hippowdon with 0 HP. For our Medicham example, a good IV recommendation would be 20+/31/15+/x/15+/31. It’s not recommended that you offer something with an IV going through 0-5 otherwise, no one will want it (Although if the pokemon isn’t using that stat at all, like a physical sweeper's special attack, the IV for it doesn’t matter). A good way to acquire parents that will eventually give your final product amazing IVs is to hunt through smogon and try to find excellent Dittos or parents with the right nature.

The word even was superfluous
Fixed the next sentence to make more sense
The good IVs thread needed to make more sense, but I am pretty sure this is what you were going for
No comma needed before is, and to hunt makes more sense than hunting, and likewise and try rather than trying
I am pretty sure or needs a comma in front of it, unless you meant that to mean Dittos for parents, and in that case, it needs to be for!

Moves Can Help Too.
There’s a nice way to boost the marketability of a pokemon with ease. Simply giving a pokemon odd moves can make it more likeable. Below are a few examples of simple Add-ons to a pokemon that can make it extremely valuable.

Emerald tutor moves- If you’re a veteran breeder from emerald, you have a huge advantage off the bat. Emerald tutor moves can provide a valuable bonus for the finished pokemon. The elemental punches are a fine example of valuable moves to put on a pokemon for extra marketability.

Hidden powers- Hidden powers are without a doubt difficult to obtain, but as stated before, rare is always an advantage. Many special sweepers rely on the move, so it is a very important aspect for some pokemon

Strange egg moves- Although not as valuable as the first two, a strange egg move can be helpful when you breed a poke. You never know what the recipient of your pokemon will do with what you gave him, so it can be a good idea to teach one more move to the father before he goes off to breed.

XD Exclusive moves- These are even more valuable than emerald tutor moves, seeing as how to get one you need a game cube, the game itself, and the patience to soft reset for the pokemon itself. (no need for a colon really..)

NYPC moves and other events with special moves- Without a doubt THE rarest pokemon to come by are ones with good moves such as the rare wish Lickitung or Chansey. Having a pokemon with one of these moves (as well as the essential nature and decent IVs) can almost guarantee good business.

Persuading the customer
Yet another influential part when offering a pokemon is for you to have persuading methods of influencing someone to take what you offer (to make it make more sense). One of the mot prevalent is writing (misspelled) a short paragraph of text describing how your pokemon works in combat, (I am not sure you need this comma?) or how you obtained it. If you’re your offering a pokemon that is strange and gimmicky with an abnormal set, nature, or IV spread, then (needs this conjunction) this is a necessity. Generally, people will like to see what exactly the pokemon is without reading a thing, so a visual is a great plus. A sprite is the most commonly used and most prevalent, but there are several other ways to show off, such as artwork, older (older not Older) sprites, moving sprites, or exert (I did not know what this means, so maybe you want to provide further explanation?) from some other form of media featuring the pokemon. If your pokemon is lucky enough to end up in a warstory or on a youtube video, link to it somewhere on the pokemons page (you repeated the word!). This gives the buyer a chance to actually view your pokemon doing what it does best (of course (misspelled) if it’s sent out and immediately KO’d, it could be counter productive to show (sounds better than showing) it).

You now have the pokemon and are ready to trade. The question is whether or not you are really (to make the sentence work!) willing to trade. The Trading station is only as good as the person who (either who or whom, that is one thing I am bad at) keeps it. If you’re almost always ready to go on wifi and exchange pokemon with someone, and happily except offers, as well as keep track of offers, you’ll be a very productive trader. If you’re uninspired to engage in many trades and think you don’t have enough time, you won’t be a very productive trader. Neglecting any aspect of what has been mentioned above can be a fatal blow to your productivity. Below are two examples. One is of an excellent trade offer; the other is of a pitiful one.

This however is a fine example of implementing all of the techniques. It has a small visual, lists any special bonuses, and has a nice paragraph listing how the pokemon can operate.

The Breeding project
Do you have nothing to offer a trader, or do they not like anything in your thread? No problem! The breeding project is when you breed a pokemon for someone else, they specify if you can redistribute the poke or not, and you receive a certain amount of pokemon from the associate. Whoever you bred it for shares or retains all redistribution rights with or without you (depending on (about is the wrong word!) what the two of you agree on before hand).

Other Things to Know

Most pokemon are redistributed by the original breeders, but occasionally pokemon that the owner does not care about who owns it or trades it will come up. This is simply a redistributable pokemon. Usually, the pokemon has been available for a while, it’s become invaluable, or the person is just flat out generous.

It is highly recommended, however, (to make it flow a little more easily) that your trade station not consist of nothing but redistributables. With them being sold everywhere else, you will have to have exceptionally low standards and will get yourself barely anywere. This is incredibly (misspelled) important if you have just opened your shop as redistributables often have little to no value. Better things to ask for than a redistributable (no matter how good they may look) would be for a fancier pokemon from a trade shop or dittos to plant the seeds of what you will be offering next.

Now that you've bred the pokemon, you aren't exactly offering it as the sole copy (you repeated a word again! No second now needed). Cloning is commonly seen throughout the various trading (misspelled) areas to keep you selling it (this needs to be reworded, but I am not sure exactly what you are going for – maybe say to make it so you can keep selling it?). The most common method of cloning is action replay cloning. Despite being done with a cheating device, this does not affect the pokemons legitimacy at all.

There are three other methods of cloning seen as well (however does not really make sense there). The first is the GTS cloning glitch. The glitch (though is superfluous here) takes a considerable amount of time to perform, and often results in error. The second is (took out the word the) almost never seen any more, Pokesav cloning. Pokesav is an advance hacking technique for the game. The reason action replay cloning is more common than Pokesav cloning is that the ladder (ladder? Do you mean latter?) DOES affect the pokemons legitimacy by erasing a series of data. The final one is exploiting the cloning glitch in Emerald. This is known to be a safe method, put it only allows you to clone a pokemon six times a day due to the pal-park (It is possible to import more than 6 pokemon a day, but this will require two GBA version and changing back and forth of your DS's clock). On top of that, you obviously can’t clone pokemon you've bred in your diamond or pearl version.

Services can also be offered in exchange for pokes. Common services include, but are not limited to, Cloning, EV-training, EV-reduction, and Leveling up. If offering these services, you generally need: the above criteria for cloning, the Power items and the Pokerus for EV-Training, the EV-reduction berry for EV-reducing, and rare candies for leveling up.

How to Avoid Being Scammed

Certain precautions must be taken when one is trading left and right with anyone. Although a majortity of traders are good natured souls, there are several scammers that run through occationally. Below is a simple list of things to lookout for to spot a possible scammer.

Gather some background information. Searching for background information isn’t very difficult at all. Simply looking at a join date or post count can be a somewhat valuable idea on suspicious activity.

Know who other traders aren’t trading with. If there’s someone a fellow trader has blacklisted, there is usually a good reason there not trading with them. Just make sure that they didn’t backlist a person because he insulted them jokingly, or something else trivial.

Beware of continuous, massive updates. If someone adds a triple flawless Azelf one day, adds a quad-flawless adamant arcanine and a godly timid octilary the next, and then another assortment of awesomely High IV’d pokemon, be cautious. Sometime making a great pokemon can take anywhere from days, to weeks, to months to breed. If someone’s showing exceptional pokemon left and right, be wary.

If all else fails… The most experienced scammers can easily make a pokemon indistinguishable from a legit one, but there is one loophole around this. There is a method kept secret from many, involving the check of certain hex codes in a pokemon. The programs used to create hacked pokemon delete a string of certain data that can be identified with ease.

Your article is very comprehensive, thanks for writing it :)

Thank you very much for your help with the grammer, I'll go make most of the edits you suggest them. :toast:

[edit] Reworded the Plain and simple part to just "simply" and implemented most of your grammer notifications.

[edit] observed some for the next two paragraphs, but simply reworded one suggestion given (just changed whipped up to created). went
through and deleted the semicolns and added the several "Becauses" you suggested

[edit]Implemented the next set of suggestions and a comma after ditto

[edit] okay, posted many of your suggestions and reworded the part with Exert. when I said that, I generally ust ment some other time the pokemon has been in a form of media

[edit] okay, I think I'm all done now, reworded and corrected grammer. Thank you VERY much.

You are welcome. I am not done yet, but I am not sure how much I will get done before I finish work in 45 minutes, so I am just adding as I go because of that. Sorry for the stuff, I do not know what font smogon uses so I cannot change it in word!

Please discourage people from using x in their IV lists, i.e.

Hippowdon
31/23/x/x/x/19

I see that shit a lot and while I don't trade ever it seems really stupid. If you must use x, use it for a stat that has no significance at all (Weavile's Special Attack), or very very very little (Hippowdon's Spd). To me it seems like it's used to make a Pokemon look better by not showing its 3 Def IV, for example. To be safe I'd just list them all, that also makes it easier if you plan to use your traded Pokemon as breeding fodder.

Please discourage people from using x in their IV lists, i.e.

Hippowdon
31/23/x/x/x/19

I see that shit a lot and while I don't trade ever it seems really stupid. If you must use x, use it for a stat that has no significance at all (Weavile's Special Attack), or very very very little (Hippowdon's Spd). To me it seems like it's used to make a Pokemon look better by not showing its 3 Def IV, for example. To be safe I'd just list them all, that also makes it easier if you plan to use your traded Pokemon as breeding fodder.
I agree completely. an x in any stat of any signifigance is pretty counter-productive for business.

added that in.

Maybe you should also explain how about every 6 IVs makes a difference for damage calculations so people understand what Pokemon to go for more in a shop (its value) and so they know that 31s! 31s! 31s! aren't always the best and is about the same thing as a 30, barring speed or Hidden Powers.

On a sidenote, I never see you on AIM anymore?

Maybe you should also explain how about every 6 IVs makes a difference for damage calculations so people understand what Pokemon to go for more in a shop (its value) and so they know that 31s! 31s! 31s! aren't always the best and is about the same thing as a 30, barring speed or Hidden Powers.
I understand that IVs can sometimes make a very insignifigant differance, But your conveying to me the message that a 31 isn't always the best...

As far as pokemon IVs go they are. I really don't see a huge reason to mention that.

[Edit] Parring Hidden Powers, But being a new trader doesn't exactly imply that there new to breeding at all.

Like when it comes to Hidden Powers? Some new traders might think that you can get a 31 for something and still get a good Hidden Power Type. Like lets say they want a HP Fire Roserade with the base power of 70. The max speed you can have is a 30, but new traders might try andwaste their time finding a 31 one hen there's no such thing. Only if I can explain this better off, but I can't. =/.

In addition to XD exclusive moves, there are XD move tutors, each of the moves can only be taught one per save file. You might want to note that.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
The Mantyke said:
It’s not recommended that you offer something with an IV going through 0-5 otherwise, no one will want it
In 99% of cases this is true, however there are instances where a low stat is useful, for example Speed for powering up the move Gyro Ball, or HP for Leech Seed/Substitute users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)