[AAA] Moltres

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

• Moltres can fulfill many rolls and can run both offensive and defensive sets.
  • Useful typing that allows it to check Steel-, Fairy- and Fighting-types quite well.
  • Good Fire-STAB that handles the many Steel-types in Almost Any Ability, if they don't run Flash Fire.
  • Great Special Attack stat for special wallbreaking.
  • High Base Power STAB moves in Fire Blast and Hurricane, which both can take advantage of weather.
  • Decent bulk allows it to take neutral hits quite well.
  • Has reliable recovery.
  • Has access to Will-o-Wisp.
  • Crippling Stealth Rock weakness, if not running Magic Guard.
  • Competition from Heatran, a Fire-type not weak to Stealth Rock.
    • (Resists or is immune to both Ground and Fighting!)

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-o-Wisp
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog
move 4: Flamethrower
item: Leftovers
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Will-o-Wisp is a status move that Moltres can use to get reliable chip permanent chip damage on nearly all Pokemon, while also dissuading physically offensive Pokemon from switching in on it, like Tyranitar.
  • Roost allows Moltres to recover off damage.
  • Defog makes Moltres a reliable hazard remover, as with Magic Guard it doesn't take damage from any of the hazards.
  • Flamethrower is a reliable STAB move that has perfect accuracy and decent PP, making it a better choice for a stall set than Fire Blast, which has lower accuracy and low PP, making it be unreliable at getting damage in.

Set Details
========

• Magic Guard is the ability of choice, to ignore Moltres' huge Stealth Rock weakness, and allow it to act as hazard control without taking damage from any hazards.
  • Leftovers is used to get passive recovery, allowing Moltres to switch in and out if needed, and actually recovering a small amount, while most Pokemon would be damaged because they had to take hazard damage.
  • The EV spread allows Moltres to avoid the OHKO from +2 Skarmory's Brave Bird, and Choice Band Braviary's Brave Bird, to check them in a pinch and maximize its special bulk.
  • The nature compliments the EV spread, boosting Special Defense and cutting down on Attack, a stat it doesn't use anyway.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[SET]
name: Rain Sweeper
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Sleep Talk
item: Choice Specs
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Modest
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Solar Beam
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Hurricane
item: Choice Specs
ability: Desolate Land
nature: Modest
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

Last edited:
On the wallbreaker set I'd personally go with Compoundeyes or Sheer Force and a Life Orb over Specs and Desolate Land. Compoundeyes lets you use 91% accurate Hurricanes and perfectly accurate Fire Blasts and Will-o-Wisps while Sheer Force negates Life Orb recoil and gives you 144 power Hurricanes and Fire Blasts. Choiced Pokémon switch in and out a lot, and IMO you don't want that on something as weak to Stealth Rock as Moltres.

On the wallbreaker set I'd personally go with Compoundeyes or Sheer Force and a Life Orb over Specs and Desolate Land. Compoundeyes lets you use 91% accurate Hurricanes and perfectly accurate Fire Blasts and Will-o-Wisps while Sheer Force negates Life Orb recoil and gives you 144 power Hurricanes and Fire Blasts. Choiced Pokémon switch in and out a lot, and IMO you don't want that on something as weak to Stealth Rock as Moltres.
No guard is a thing, and specs fire blast in sun has way more power than sheer force + lo

Moltres needs 76 defence EVs to be able to switch on tc adamant lo lucario's cc, it's a small change but a worthy one considering moltres doesn't get detroyed by the refrigirate set like a bunch of others.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm kinda unconvinced about Hurricane on a Desolate Land set considering its accuracy drops to 50%. I think Moltres is outdone by stuff like Heatran and Victini in sun wallbreaking for the most part but I'll let other QC decide on that. I also think there are better birds for rain sweeping that don't have their way to hit Steel-types weakened such as Tornadus-T and I. Offensive LO Magic Guard with Defog definitely needs a set though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)