ORAS Doubles OU aero-geddon

Changes in BOLD

This is my doubles team(tho it was used in vgc prior to becoming a smo-dubs team). the basis of the team is to jam the momentum of my opponent until i can cripple their sweepers(generally m-kanga and lando-t). Really not too good at this whole writing thing so on to team building bitches....

so i started with thundurus and mienshao.

this gave me a solid prankster and a fake out user that can ohko most m-kanga sets. i added talonflame and mega aerodactyl for priory and spread abuse respectively.

now i noticed i was missing a lot of coverage and also had no solid spA-ers that didn't have another roll so i added sylveon and heatran.

At this point i felt i had a pretty solid team and messed around with spreads some worked( 132+ def thundo) and some failed horribly (252spe scarfteran) but i've worked out the kinks withen my ability and now ive leveled out around 1350 on showdown now i now part of this is my lack of skill but i think with a little more tweaking i can over come that and still not have to just pick S and A ranked mons tho most on here are already A rank. So heres aero-geddon...

geni (Thundurus) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 128+ Def / 128 SpA
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
geni here is one of my leads, mental herb is here because i chose not to invest in spe and its needed to taunt faster taunters. t-wave is pretty standard and is a big part of my strategy in shutting down any team momentum. With my current spA ivs I 2hko most lando-t and with 252/128+ bold i survive 2 of lando-t rock slides.

mao (Mienshao) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252+ Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Detect
mao is 90% of the time my other lead(talonflame hopes in sometimes on hitmontop). mao's main job is to fake turn. jam the opponent long enough to cripple there prankster and the uturn out to m-aero while thundo twaves the other. 252+ spe is to out speed most fake out users as well as m-kanga. 44 atk ohko's 4hp m-kanga(6.3% to ohko 252hp m-kanga)

bravebird (Talonflame) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Tailwind
bravebird does just that, 172 spe out speeds base 100's. 252+ atk to maximize the damage he does while he lives which usually isn't long because of all the haters. tailwind is support for the next two team slots as well as late game thundo. wisp was my third choice, now i did have her set with max speed and quick guard at first but i found i wasn't using it to much effect so i dropped it for one of the most crippling moves it can get, with wisp i turn pretty much any team into a useless lump because of the lack of opportunities for anyone to boost in the current meta even with rage powder and follow me.

notmega-aerodactyl (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Wing Attack
- Protect
- Iron Head
m-aero was an easy pick for me, being one of the fastest as well as hardest hitting megas it was a good fit. max spe+ and max atk were necessary because m-aero really doesn't have any bulk and one hit/ two hit but most of rank S & A most noteable issues were; lando-t rock slide 252+atk 2hkos, m-kanga double edge 252atk 2hkos(return is 54.1%-64.1%), bisharp iron head 252atk 81.2% ohko (adamant ohko), heatran flash cannon 252spa 43.8% ohko (modest ohko). now you may be thinking if all this kills m-aero then why use it and to that i say "ROCK SLIDE MOTHER FUCKERS". m-aero's rock slide being the fastest and hardest hitting there is paired up with thundo's twave give me a nice little receipt for, that's right, PARA-FLINCH-HAX. also note vs 252hp sylveon 12.5%ohko. and as for wing attack, i chose it for the dmg boost, stab and the need for more fighting coverage other than sylveon

im not an elf (Sylveon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe 244 def
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire] Hidden power [ground]
Specs sylveon is pretty much just a one move wonder, stab specs hyper voice hits anything that doesnt resist it like a truck. psyshock for the pesky pink fatties. shadow ball because sylveon lacks more coverage moves and lastly hp-fire. now with hp-fire im thinking of swapping to ground to cover heatran as most grass and ice types take good dmg from hyper voice but im worried about ferrothorn. now just a couple of noteable calcs were; hp-fire vs 4hp bisharp 2hko but keep in mind bisharp ohko's sylveon, shadow ball vs 252hp shield-aegi 3hko, vs blade 252hp blade-aegi 43.8% ohko, 252+spA blade-aegi flash cannon 2hko's sylveon. also 81.3% chance to ohko 252 hp ferro with no spD.

air ballon (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 228 SpA / 4 Spe 52 def 252 spA 200 spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock heat wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] protect
lefties heatran is pretty basic but power/cannon coverage is great. i opted for stealth rocks because smo-dubs is a switching game and i want to make that hurt. the def evs are there to survive most fighting atks in the current meta along with the 24hp and lefties recovery means most mons dies before they can get the third hit to ko heatran. 4spe for creep.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 40 SpA / 80 SpD / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind / Snarl

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Low Kick
- Protect / Encore

note all the calcs ive done were based off lv100 stats and that im open for suggestions on pretty much anything as long as its not adding lando-t or mega mom. i have no clue how to make a hide tab so heres my team if you wish to port is to showdown.

geni (Thundurus) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpA
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

mao (Mienshao) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Detect

bravebird (Talonflame) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Tailwind

notmega-aerodactyl (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Wing Attack
- Protect
- Iron Head

im not an elf (Sylveon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

air ballon (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 228 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

[/team list]

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is a pretty cool looking team.

That said, you have no Water resists, and as a result you get demolished by rain (especially Swampert rain). You also have some major Trick Room problems, although Heatran, Thundurus, burd, and to an extent Sylveon help with this.

I can't really use words properly right now (read this and then tell me how you think I, as a writing major, feel about it), but I'll offer some advice anyway.

Remove Mega Aerodactyl and Mienshao. Neither Pokemon is actually that good - Mega Aerodactyl is fast and has a lot of potential, but is unfortunately held back by the classic "my moves all have shitty BP" syndrome, and as a result its damage output is rather lacking. Its Water weakness just makes things worse (although you technically outrun most Swampert and Ludicolo, you do nothing to the former and Politoed takes shit from your moves). Mienshao, meanwhile, is just outclassed. The way I see it, these two Pokemon are the weak links in the team.

Now that you're removed those two Pokemon, you have a solid replacement for Mienshao in MEGA GODDAMN LOPUNNY. It hits significantly harder than Mega Aerodactyl, has perfect coverage in only two moves (Return / Low Kick) and is even a decent switchin to Aegislash. Since you still have a slot left, I'd like to advise you run Suicune. While its offensive presence is a little lacking, Suicune makes up for it with its sheer bulk and access to nice support moves like Tailwind and Snarl. It also brings along a much-needed Water resist as well as the Fire resist you had before.

As for minor changes:
Flare Blitz > Tailwind on Talonflame if you decide to use Tailwind Suicune. With Thundurus around you hardly need two Tailwind setters.
Protect > Stealth Rock on Heatran because Stealth Rock is, quite frankly, a waste of a moveslot. Unless your opponent has a few specific Pokemon, they aren't worth the time it takes to set them up.
Shuca Berry > Leftovers on Heatran because fuck Mega Diancie with a rake (and Shuca is just generally more useful than Leftovers).
56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe on Heatran is a nice offensive spread that outruns Adamant Bisharp. Heatran doesn't really need the bulk.
Thundurus should have a different spread, although mine isn't very physically bulky and idk what spread other people run so I won't comment on that lol
You should also consider max Speed (Adamant) on Talonflame if you run Flare Blitz so you can get in a big hit on Mega Metagross before it nails you with Zen Headbutt.

Feel free to take or leave my suggestions.

Oh, by the way: [hide=title of your hide tag]text within your hide tag[/hide] will yield
text within your hide tag

And now for bunny and dog sets
Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind / Snarl

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Low Kick
- Protect / Encore

Whatever you end up doing, good luck with the team!

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
After the above edits, I would say give your heatran heat wave as fire stab. It's far more important than flash cannon or hp ice.

[q post: 6031328, member: 27554"]This is a pretty cool looking team.

That said, you have no Water resists, and as a result you get demolished by rain (especially Swampert rain). You also have some major Trick Room problems, although Heatran, Thundurus, burd, and to an extent Sylveon help with this.

I can't really use words properly right now (read this and then tell me how you think I, as a writing major, feel about it), but I'll offer some advice anyway.

Remove Mega Aerodactyl and Mienshao. Neither Pokemon is actually that good - Mega Aerodactyl is fast and has a lot of potential, but is unfortunately held back by the classic "my moves all have shitty BP" syndrome, and as a result its damage output is rather lacking. Its Water weakness just makes things worse (although you technically outrun most Swampert and Ludicolo, you do nothing to the former and Politoed takes shit from your moves). Mienshao, meanwhile, is just outclassed. The way I see it, these two Pokemon are the weak links in the team.

Now that you're removed those two Pokemon, you have a solid replacement for Mienshao in MEGA GODDAMN LOPUNNY. It hits significantly harder than Mega Aerodactyl, has perfect coverage in only two moves (Return / Low Kick) and is even a decent switchin to Aegislash. Since you still have a slot left, I'd like to advise you run Suicune. While its offensive presence is a little lacking, Suicune makes up for it with its sheer bulk and access to nice support moves like Tailwind and Snarl. It also brings along a much-needed Water resist as well as the Fire resist you had before.

As for minor changes:
Flare Blitz > Tailwind on Talonflame if you decide to use Tailwind Suicune. With Thundurus around you hardly need two Tailwind setters.
Protect > Stealth Rock on Heatran because Stealth Rock is, quite frankly, a waste of a moveslot. Unless your opponent has a few specific Pokemon, they aren't worth the time it takes to set them up.
Shuca Berry > Leftovers on Heatran because fuck Mega Diancie with a rake (and Shuca is just generally more useful than Leftovers).
56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe on Heatran is a nice offensive spread that outruns Adamant Bisharp. Heatran doesn't really need the bulk.
Thundurus should have a different spread, although mine isn't very physically bulky and idk what spread other people run so I won't comment on that lol
You should also consider max Speed (Adamant) on Talonflame if you run Flare Blitz so you can get in a big hit on Mega Metagross before it nails you with Zen Headbutt.

Feel free to take or leave my suggestions.

Oh, by the way: [hide=title of your hide tag]text within your hide tag[/hide] will yield
text within your hide tag

And now for bunny and dog sets
Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind / Snarl

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Low Kick
- Protect / Encore

Whatever you end up doing, good luck with the team![/quote]
Im currently testing these changes tho the 56 hp heatran part is almost useless, alot of the meta's eq still ohkos after berry here so ill have to tinker some more. On bunny I droped low kick for HJK but kept the spread for now, im going to see if lowering to just ohko mega mom and adding def/spD will survive anything.

Here's a good Thundy spread

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 100 Def / 80 SpA / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] or Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

• HP is divisible by 4 for max Sitrus recovery
  • Survives a Diamond Storm from 208 Atk Mega Diancie
    • if you use Flash Cannon over HP Ice you can use 31 IVs in Defense, so you only need 96 Def EVs in this case
  • Survives a Draco Meteor from Life Orb 252 SAtk Latios
  • Thunderbolt does 75% minimum to 252 HP Azumarill so that it can't Belly Drum after Sitrus Recovery
And here's a good Heatran Build, with options

Heatran @ Shuca Berry or Safety Goggles or Leftovers or Chople Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute or Flash Cannon
- Protect

• simple spread, max special attack, outspeeds Bisharp, rest in Special attack
    • You outspeed Bisharp by 2 points because you speed creep other Heatran by 1 (honestly you could just run max speed + Modest if you want)
  • Here are your item choices explained
    • Shuca berry (Ground resist berry) lets you beat other Heatran provided you're faster or they don't have Shuca, and Mega Diancie
    • Safety Goggles gives you a sleep switch in, you have none and you need at least 1
    • Leftovers is for if you use Substitute, obviously gives recovery
    • Chople Berry (Fighting resist berry) lets you beat Terrakion, you need Flash Cannon with this option to OHKO 81.3% of the time
For Sylveon, put the 244 EVs directly into physical defence, this will let you survive attacks like Return from Mega Kangaskhan
Does this thundo set survive ay least one rock slide from lando-t? And i would like to keep hp ice on thundo tho im going to drop it for heatwave on heatran.

Thank you guys ill posy edits when i get more data after testing.

okay so i've played a few matches and i ran into an issue.. if mega mom protects first turn then i can't ohko it with m-bunny which is the man reason i chose mienshao as my fake out user. m-bunny deals at 252 atk 98.2% to 4 hp mega mom with HJK. i think i may go back but is there a better ev set on mienshao to get the most survive-ability out of her other than the needed atk and spe to ohko and out speed mega mom?

i changed heatran around but i found im getting ohko'd alot by eq now where i was just hanging on before even with the berry so i droped it into def and im going to see how that goes. this puts me in an awkward spot tho with two frail fake out users so im not sure who to swap m-bunny out for if at all or to add something else and drop sui for a bulky m-gyrados or a mantine i saw on another RMT

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mega Lopunny is stronger than Mienshao so that doesn't really make much sense...
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 440-518 (125 - 147.1%)

Heck, even Low Kick will almost always do the job:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 338-402 (96 - 114.2%)

Mega Lopunny is stronger than Mienshao so that doesn't really make much sense...
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 440-518 (125 - 147.1%)

Heck, even Low Kick will almost always do the job:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 338-402 (96 - 114.2%)
Thats what I thought but the calc said 98.2. What calc are you using?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)