Alaka's VGC Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
they didn't directly say that he was marriland until after the seniors was over, but I had heard that marriland was the head judge and his voice matched

Good job Alakapimp! On the warstory too, not just the tournament.

Hopefully, Smogon sweeps Philly tomorrow.

gratz, alaka, i was in Philly today at the tourny ( i was turned down though sadly) and i believe i caught a glimpse of the annoying NY kid you took a picture of, lol just thought i should mention

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
can i just ask, what do you want them to do, they can't just do more and more rounds, these events are expensive we aren't paying for them and we should be happy for the ones that we get and can't expect more events, so the only real thing is a quiz, but its hard to make a quiz that 128 people will pass, i really see no way around it, i know it sucks but yeah what do you want them to do?

DawnBringer

The thrill of attempting to get what you will neve
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i finally got to see a pic of mingot. :D
This.

Congrats on making it to worlds. Twash and Tyler are definitely twins.

ps. you also forgot to post your team :( ... unless you used the same one *eyeroll*

can i just ask, what do you want them to do, they can't just do more and more rounds, these events are expensive we aren't paying for them and we should be happy for the ones that we get and can't expect more events, so the only real thing is a quiz, but its hard to make a quiz that 128 people will pass, i really see no way around it, i know it sucks but yeah what do you want them to do?
Well, they could do any number of things. They could keep the random selection process of picking people, and increase the number of participants allowed in. Making the maximum number of players allowed in 256 would help a lot, despite adding just 1 more round of single elimination. Raising the number to 512 would quadruple the number of players allowed to play in the tournament compared to this year, and would only require two extra rounds of single elimination. It would be optimal, in my opinion, if there was no limit to the number of people accepted, and Swiss format was used in the preliminary rounds as opposed to the single elimination format used this year.

TPCI could also require online registration, like in the 2008 Showdown and at JAA. This would allow the predetermined number of participants a guaranteed spot in the tournament, and it would also give an opportunity to those who lived close to the tournament location but were not selected to come and be picked as a replacement for someone who did not show up (of which there would likely be many). This has worked in the past, and there was generally far less complaint about this process of selecting competitors compared to this year's process.

You say "we can't expect more events", but that just shows how little you know. The JAA tournament had 26 regional locations, which is more than 4 times the number of regionals in this year's tournament. When you consider that Pokemon's popularity has risen greatly in the 3 years separating the two tournaments, where is the logic in having less regionals? While these events certainly cost a lot of money for TPCI, a lot of money is being put into traveling to these events as well. This waste of dollars is not necessary, and could be easily remedied by increasing the number of regionals. You are right, we should be happy that these events are being held in the first place, and I certainly am, but I am also very disappointed that these events are not being held in the best way possible.

I realize that both you and I have extremely biased opinions, as you were lucky enough to not only live extremely close to a regional, but also to be selected in the random pool, while I endured a lengthy trip to get to the nearest regional and was unfortunately not selected in the random draw. However, I think that the majority of the people who went to this year's tournament would agree with me. When the vast majority of people going to a competition are not even allowed to play, what does that say about the competition itself? What do I want TPCI to do, you ask? I want them to hold these tournaments in the best way possible, because with some fine-tuning, the VGC could become very successful and long lasting.

You sir are noob!

You're supposed to thank me for the rain dance practice.

Oh yea, and hay Mingot!

@Tad

"TPCI could also require online registration, like in the 2008 Showdown and at JAA. This would allow the predetermined number of participants a guaranteed spot in the tournament, and it would also give an opportunity to those who lived close to the tournament location but were not selected to come and be picked as a replacement for someone who did not show up (of which there would likely be many). This has worked in the past, and there was generally far less complaint about this process of selecting competitors compared to this year's process."

That's the one I was thinking of. That seems like a painless solution. Saw you at Nashville btw lol.

You sir are noob!

You're supposed to thank me for the rain dance practice.

Oh yea, and hay Mingot!

@Tad

"TPCI could also require online registration, like in the 2008 Showdown and at JAA. This would allow the predetermined number of participants a guaranteed spot in the tournament, and it would also give an opportunity to those who lived close to the tournament location but were not selected to come and be picked as a replacement for someone who did not show up (of which there would likely be many). This has worked in the past, and there was generally far less complaint about this process of selecting competitors compared to this year's process."

That's the one I was thinking of. That seems like a painless solution. Saw you at Nashville btw lol.
You should have said hi! Doctorboyfriend was praising you as his pick to win the tournament, so it was unfortunate that you weren't picked to play in the tournament. I still would have liked to meet you, though!

You should have said hi! Doctorboyfriend was praising you as his pick to win the tournament, so it was unfortunate that you weren't picked to play in the tournament. I still would have liked to meet you, though!
Hah, I didn't know who you were. Someone told me who you were on IRC the next day.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
This.

Congrats on making it to worlds. Twash and Tyler are definitely twins.

ps. you also forgot to post your team :( ... unless you used the same one *eyeroll*
I did sunday because of the stuff with my over ev'd metagross, and even though a ton of people already know my team im not gonna post it till after worlds incase i decide to use it

@tad - two responses from me, first of all when you mention the tcg events, i know exactly how many tcg events and qualifiers there are, but when you mention that you are forgetting on thing. The tcg makes them money, people spend thousands of dollars on cards just because of the tournaments whereas for vgc not many people go out and buy games for the tournament and if they do its one 30 dollar charge. From speaking to people at nats it sounds like we will most likely get more events next year so yay, but what i was saying is we can't be pissed if they don't because most likely they loose money for each and every event they do

next about online registration, i talked to some people at nats and they don't do it because when they did try that only about half the people showed up and they got stuck without enough people even though plenty wanted to play, i think the most likely thing is that they will just raise the number of people allowed in from 128 to 512 like the tcg which will allow almost everyone at most events in

I did sunday because of the stuff with my over ev'd metagross, and even though a ton of people already know my team im not gonna post it till after worlds incase i decide to use it

@tad - two responses from me, first of all when you mention the tcg events, i know exactly how many tcg events and qualifiers there are, but when you mention that you are forgetting on thing. The tcg makes them money, people spend thousands of dollars on cards just because of the tournaments whereas for vgc not many people go out and buy games for the tournament and if they do its one 30 dollar charge. From speaking to people at nats it sounds like we will most likely get more events next year so yay, but what i was saying is we can't be pissed if they don't because most likely they loose money for each and every event they do

next about online registration, i talked to some people at nats and they don't do it because when they did try that only about half the people showed up and they got stuck without enough people even though plenty wanted to play, i think the most likely thing is that they will just raise the number of people allowed in from 128 to 512 like the tcg which will allow almost everyone at most events in
Just to avoid any confusion, I said nothing about any TCG events. JAA was an Adv tournament held in 2006 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Pokemon. Also, while the TCG certainly nets them a lot of money, the video games do as well. Pokemon is the second most successful and lucrative video game-based media franchise in the world (behind Mario), and it's popularity is only increasing as time goes on. Despite being released in September, Platinum was the best-selling DS game of 2008 in Japan and the second best-selling game over all consoles in Japan in 2008. It was also the second best-selling game (all consoles) in the month of March in the United States, despite being in stores for just nine days in that month. In any case, I don't believe that TPCI puts these tournaments on for money, because I highly doubt they have gained much profit from them. The games sell incrediblely well regardless of whether they hold tournaments or not, so holding tournaments is a waste of money in business terms. The tournaments are for entertainment and competition, not to bring in money (of which they already have plenty of).

As far as online registration goes, I would think that not having enough players to fill all of the spots in a tournament and thus having a few byes in the first round would be better than completely barring some people from playing in the tournament at all. Hopefully they will increase the number of participants allowed to play, as there is certainly enough interest in these tournaments to fill larger numbers.

Why do you think they lose money? and why are you so concerned for their well-being? They're a corporation.

Anyway, these tournaments are excellent marketing for them. I really doubt they lose much money. Besides, if they did, they wouldn't hold the tourneys at all.

After all, they care about the money, not us.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
@tad - your right i was kind of skimming your post and miss read the three letters, sorry, and I know the video games net them lots of money but what im saying is that number isn't increased any by the tournaments hardly, most of the people who would bother to go to the tournaments own the games anyway

@raist - because they are giving out lots of trips, renting huge convention centers, hiring tons of staff, and buying all of the necessary decorations and systems just to sell not to many more games

basically my point is im tired of all the negativity when pokemon could easily be like 99% of games and never have any official tournaments put on by the game makers, just because everything isn't perfect doesn't mean we should go around complaining when we are getting so much more than is necessary

@tad - your right i was kind of skimming your post and miss read the three letters, sorry, and I know the video games net them lots of money but what im saying is that number isn't increased any by the tournaments hardly, most of the people who would bother to go to the tournaments own the games anyway

@raist - because they are giving out lots of trips, renting huge convention centers, hiring tons of staff, and buying all of the necessary decorations and systems just to sell not to many more games

basically my point is im tired of all the negativity when pokemon could easily be like 99% of games and never have any official tournaments put on by the game makers, just because everything isn't perfect doesn't mean we should go around complaining when we are getting so much more than is necessary
I apologize if my posts come across as negative. I am actually very optimistic about the VGC, and love the fact that they hold tournaments for Pokemon. I, and I think that many others feel this way too, just want to have as much fun as possible at these tournaments. To do this, we offer constructive criticism and suggest ideas that could be used to improve the tournaments. I am in no way complaining about these tournaments, I would just like to see them improve as time goes on so that they can fufill all of their potential.

Well, about the financial part: I wouldn't mind if they took an entry fee for letting everyone play, as it would be rather low though (remember: mainly children are playing and couldn't afford an insanely high fee for losing in R3 or earlier). Actually, it is kind of luxury that they don't take fees right now. Of course, one needs to pay for any private tournament. This year's Summer Jam Augsburg costs every entrant about 25 € (something around 35$ I believe), way more than any official tourney. There was an even an official tournament in Germany in 2004 where they took entry fees (2€ iirc) run by Nintendo and featuring Uber doubles like the later JAA (except that it was multi instead of single-player doubles and Soul Dew was not banned). I still don't know how they should ever make profit with like 2€ per player, but I think it shouldn't be a problem to charge small entry fees. Nevertheless, they are still getting fucking rich by the TCG, as every competitive player needs to spend myriads of money in every few months to have the best cards of the current mode in stock, just as already mentioned.

Btw, believe it or not, but the Germans demand more qualifiers, lol. A whole country just as small as an American federal state while there are far less than 50 American qualifiers, go figure lol. I didn't (I'm living near Berlin after all), but people from the former western federal states could hardly be bothered to travel to Berlin. It appears really ironic that they are so ungrateful whereas lots of Smogons drive hundreds of miles to a qualifier. Even "better" in France, as I heard they seem to have a quite big community solely in Paris, but not even 100 entrants in the qualifier.

So, how does increasing the number of entrants increase any of those costs you mentioned? :P

It really sucks to drive all the way to another state and get rejected. I guess you wouldn't understand. Things like that should be prevented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)