Pokémon Alola Marowak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of this because realistically you don't need more than your STABs to break the vast majority of things, but given how insanely hard this thing hits, do you even need Swords Dance? I think Chansey is 2HKOed by Fire Punch after rocks regardless. This mon puts in so much work using only it's STABs that it might be one of the very few pokemon who has a different form of 4MSS: too MANY moveslots.
0 Atk Thick Club Marowak Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 178-210 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- 86.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 0 Atk Thick Club Marowak Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 355-418 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It does need Swords Dance if using Fire Punch. +0 Flare Blitz does 2HKO after rocks, but the recoil...

0 Atk Thick Club Marowak Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 178-210 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- 86.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 0 Atk Thick Club Marowak Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 355-418 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It does need Swords Dance if using Fire Punch. +0 Flare Blitz does 2HKO after rocks, but the recoil...
Shit, my bad. I didn't realize you were using a defensive spread. Need to pay more attention.

Shit, my bad. I didn't realize you were using a defensive spread. Need to pay more attention.
Even with an offensive spread, it's not guaranteed

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 258-304 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Even with an offensive spread, it's not guaranteed

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 258-304 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Yeah, I'm convinced. The set seems really solid, I'm gonna have to try it out.

SpA is irrelevant for Alolan Marowak. Serious nature isn't ideal but for casual competitive play, it's not the worst in this case. You'll have to run max HP, max Atk though.
252 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 136-160 (96.4 - 113.4%) -- 88.3% chance to OHKO (Doubles calc)
0- SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 45-53 (13.8 - 16.3%) -- possible 7HKO (Singles calc, 9HKO in Doubles)
Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. Lightning Rod Marowak-Alola: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

Well, it still does what I need it to do. This just might work.

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 136-160 (96.4 - 113.4%) -- 88.3% chance to OHKO (Doubles calc)
0- SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 45-53 (13.8 - 16.3%) -- possible 7HKO (Singles calc, 9HKO in Doubles)
Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. Lightning Rod Marowak-Alola: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

Well, it still does what I need it to do. This just might work.
Damage Calc doesn't take into account the double attack that thick club gives.

+2 0 Atk Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 272-322 (96.7 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
That's more accurate lol.

The nice thing about Thick Club is that you can run very zero attack adamant (lol) and hit 430 attack, allowing you to invest in a ton of bulk to counter the meta.

Yea I'm not convinced SD is good honestly, he hits super hard anyways. I like Bonerang for hitting things like Toxapex on the switch in, yea Shadow Bone does allot of damage too but ground coverage is nice imo.

Yea I'm not convinced SD is good honestly, he hits super hard anyways. I like Bonerang for hitting things like Toxapex on the switch in, yea Shadow Bone does allot of damage too but ground coverage is nice imo.
Yeah on most toxapex's I can hit them with sb on the switch and bonemerang after it's almost always a ko. I also run full atk investment too though, I know thats not exactly standard. Can destroy lando and limit his switch ins too, haven't seen much need for sd myself.

Marowak can learn Flame Charge. Idk if thats useful.
In OU no, even after a speed boost he'd still be way slower than most OU mons. What's making him work right now is that he can force many strong threats to switch out and then hits what ever comes in hard.

If he drops to a lower tier though, which I think he will, he might be able to take advantage of a flame charge set there where other mons are not as fast. On that set rock head might be the better ability like on the trick room sweeper set.

having a blast with this thing. stops xurkitree, pheromosa, and celesteela cold, and checks tapu koko.

really needs wish support to be most effective though. i've been using unaware clefable as a partner to it, but it's a big bummer that clefable doesn't have Stealth Rock until the Bank starts working.

I've been having some simulation matches with my inferior-natured Marowak and I think this Pokemon is going underappreciated. This thing is a ridiculously safe switch-in to almost any Electric-type, as very few of them have an answer to a Fire/Ghost with Lightningrod (the only Electric Pokemon that do are Lanturn and Rotom, due to the Water-type and Levitate respectively).

Bonecrusher (Marowak-Alola) (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Serious Nature
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Will-o-wisp / Rock Slide / Stone Edge

Perfect coverage, lots of immunities/resistances and the Thick Club boost make Alolan Marowak far more threatening than it looks. Dropping this in on an enemy that is pressuring you with a super-strong Normal/Fighting/Electric move really ruins their day, and its numerous resistances give it a good number of safe switch-ins. If Alolan Marowak can't be finished off in the following turn (which can be a chore with a good HP investment), the opponent basically has to play Russian Roulette with his team and hope he didn't pick a 'Mon that will get oneshotted - and even if it survives, it's going to hurt. This is before factoring in that it stonewalls a lot of the current meta threats like Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Xurkitree, Pheramosa, Celesteela and possibly even Kartana.

Maybe Alolan Marowak doesn't quite have the stats to be a firm OU Pokemon, but it can still give a good OU team a backbone (heh).

While stallbreaking and wallbreaking with Alolan Marowak seems like a good idea, especially since everyone expects the specially defensive set, I think they are eventually going to fall out of favor, as there are plent of better stallbreakers and wallbreakers, whereas the specially defensive set has much less competition in terms of its strengths.

Not gonna lie, the SpD set with RestTalk, WoW and Hex has won me more games than I'd like to admit. Love this thing right now, really

While stallbreaking and wallbreaking with Alolan Marowak seems like a good idea, especially since everyone expects the specially defensive set, I think they are eventually going to fall out of favor, as there are plent of better stallbreakers and wallbreakers, whereas the specially defensive set has much less competition in terms of its strengths.
The point of using Marowak-A for wallbreaking or stallbreaking is role compression: no other single mon can stop Volt Switching, counter fast Electric and beat Stall and wallbreak altogether. Marowak doesn't need much HP investment to counter fast electric, while full attack plus some speed investment turns it into a huge threat vs stall and balance teams (defensive Hippo, which is rare nowadays, and Mandibuzz are the only 2 things in stall can switch into this thing comfortably). The thing defensive set (leftovers + max HP/max SpD) has over offensive is the capability to check Pheromona/Genesect more consistently, but it loses way too much power, and only should be used on Stall or semi-stall, or your team desperately need a way to beat these 2 mons. Stealth Rock is a nice option on Marowak but defensive set literally loses to every single Defogger in the tier right now (Tapu Fini, Mandibuzz, Mantine, Pelipper hard counter it, Latios, Kartana, Decidueye can threatens OHKO), thus making it hard to actually keep rocks up

P/s: one of my replay to show how good Marowak-A vs stall ( ladder @ 1450s elo)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-482334041

Last edited:
I like the idea of this because realistically you don't need more than your STABs to break the vast majority of things, but given how insanely hard this thing hits, do you even need Swords Dance? I think Chansey is 2HKOed by Fire Punch after rocks regardless. This mon puts in so much work using only it's STABs that it might be one of the very few pokemon who has a different form of 4MSS: too MANY moveslots.
Exactly, maybe Stealth Rock or Bonemerang/Earthquake instead?

I've been using it with the 16 atk ev spread and i never expected it to be that good. Not only is a viable pokemon in OU, but it can also cover a needed slot for serious teams. Sure, nothing as monstrous as TankChomp but still, at the moment he's really useful to stop dominating mons such as the Ultra Beasts or Tapu Koko.

To me it worked well also for its capacity to pull Stealth Rock during forced switchins and for being an effective physical fire-type with nice coverage, quite unusual for OU i have to say.
It's also really sturdy for a 60/100/80 bulk with no recovery, i didn't feel the need to dedicate wish support to him.

Vague

Banned deucer.
the current offensive tank set is really all over the place and honestly a bit inefficient. even with the SpD investment marowak isn't tanking any noticeable hits better that you should be switching it into to. a cleaner and more effective spread would be 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe. 136 Atk hits a jump point while retaining enough power unlike the previous spread to nearly always 2HKO things like Calm Clefable and Utility MSable with Shadow Bone. 124 Spe outruns uninvested base 60's. 132 is pretty over the top since you're realistically never going to run into a tyranitar with no speed investment that isn't already running relaxed or sassy.

Can Fire Punch even be learned by Alolan Marowak? If transferred Pokemon cannot evolve into the Alolan form, then it is likely a dead dream.
EDIT: Since it's been resolved, I guess I'll have to give my thoughts; I think depending on how much we need electricity immunity Fire Punch may be the way to go. Rock Head is superior if electricity immunity isn't needed which I doubt will be the case if Tapu Koko is deemed OU. Extremely high attack + 120 BP + 100% accuracy + no recoil is no joke though, even Pokemon that resist it would have to be wary.

Last edited:
I've been having some simulation matches with my inferior-natured Marowak and I think this Pokemon is going underappreciated. This thing is a ridiculously safe switch-in to almost any Electric-type, as very few of them have an answer to a Fire/Ghost with Lightningrod (the only Electric Pokemon that do are Lanturn and Rotom, due to the Water-type and Levitate respectively).
I want only to underline that Alolan Raichu (a strong Electric Terrain abuser) has Surf in order to get past this thing, so it is worth mentioning alongside Lanturn (is this thing OU?) and Rotom-W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)