OU Amoonguss

[OVERVIEW]

* A strong defensive typing and solid mixed bulk allow Amoonguss to check a diverse range of threats, including Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Keldeo, and Serperior.
* Amoonguss has near-exclusive access to Spore, a 100% accurate sleep move.
* Regenerator makes it easy to keep Amoonguss healthy throughout the match.
* Amoonguss is effective against the VoltTurn archetype, as it can repeatedly soak up Electric attacks without being worn down.
* It is extremely slow.
* Amoonguss is offensively impotent; once Spore has been used it invites threatening Pokemon to come in and start firing off powerful attacks.
* The prevalence of Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain hampers Amoonguss's ability to cripple Pokemon with status.

[SET]

name: Defensive Pivot
move 1: Spore
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Stun Spore / Foul Play
item: Black Sludge
ability: Regenerator
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Spore incapacitates one Pokemon on your opponent's team.
* Giga Drain is a solid STAB move that deals damage and heals Amoonguss.
* Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to stop certain boosting sweepers such as Calm Mind Clefable.
* Sludge Bomb is a much more powerful STAB option — notably, it cleanly OHKOes maximum HP Tapu Bulu.
* Hidden Power Fire hits certain Pokemon with a x4 Fire weakness such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Kartana that Amoonguss would otherwise give a free switch in.
* Stun Spore cripples various offensive Pokemon that would treat Amoonguss as setup bait after Spore has been used.
* Foul Play easily 2HKOes Mega Metagross and Hoopa-U, deterring these threats from switching in.

Set Details
========

* A fully defensive EV spread, including 248 HP EVs, maximizes Amoonguss's ability to repeatedly switch in on threats.
* Black Sludge improves Amoonguss's longevity.
* A Calm nature boosts Amoonguss's Special Defense, allowing it to more easily soak up special attacks from the likes of Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Fini.
* 216 SpD EVs ensure that Amoonguss is never 2HKOed by Life Orb Pheromosa's Ice Beam.
* The remaining EVs are placed in Defense to better ward Amoonguss against stray physical attacks.
* An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD with a Calm nature can be used to better cushion Amoonguss from physical attacks, avoiding the 2HKO from attacks such as Choice Scarf Kartana's Smart Strike and Choice Band Tapu Bulu's Stone Edge after Stealth Rock. However, the drop in special bulk with this spread is appreciable.

Usage Tips
========

* Amoonguss should switch in early and often on threats such as Tapu Bulu and Keldeo to force them out and get an opportunity to fire off Spore or Stun Spore.
* Lure sets are not uncommon on some of the Pokemon that Amoonguss checks; if Amoonguss is needed to check multiple Pokemon on your opponent's team, try using double switches to scout for moves such as Brave Bird on Tapu Koko and Zen Headbutt on Tapu Bulu.
* Regenerator makes it easy to keep Amoonguss healthy throughout the match by simply switching it out.
* Spore is your trump card. Play it thoughtfully; your opponent may try and get you to waste it on Pokemon that are already weakened.
* Once Spore has been used Amoonguss's poor offensive presence will grant opposing Pokemon opportunities to switch in freely. Careful double switches can tip momentum in your favor and prevent threatening Pokemon or entry hazard setters from switching in without repercussion.
* If using Stun Spore, be aware that the changes to paralysis in SM mean that Amoonguss will still be slower than most offensive targets after they have been paralyzed.
* Special care should be taken when Electric Terrain or Misty Terrain is active, as an Amoonguss that is unable to inflict status conditions is a sitting duck.

Team Options
========

* Amoonguss's ability to repeatedly switch into Electric-types commonly seen on VoltTurn teams, such as Tapu Koko and Rotom-W, makes it a great teammate for Water- and Flying-types whose Electric weakness means they struggle against this archetype. Particularly noteworthy are other Pokemon with Regenerator, such as Tornadus-T and Slowbro; these Pokemon form strong Regenerator cores with Amoonguss, where each member is able to pivot into the other's checks.
* Bulky Steel-types have good type synergy with Amoonguss; Celesteela, Heatran, Skarmory and Mega Scizor resist many types that threaten Amoonguss while appreciating Amoonguss's ability to soak up Electric-, Fighting-, and Water-type attacks.
* As a Grass-type, Amoonguss has excellent type synergy with Water- and Fire-types. The Fire / Water / Grass core formed with partners such as Mantine and Heatran can be difficult to break, as each member covers the others' weaknesses well.
* Particularly noteworthy is Amoonguss's strong performance on sand teams; it reliably beats Water-, Fighting-, and Grass-types that threaten the core of Tyranitar and Excadrill, and, unlike for Mega Venusaur, its healing is not impaired by the sand.
* Dark-type teammates can be useful, as the presence of a Psychic immunity discourages Psychic-types, which threaten Amoonguss, from using their STAB moves; this is especially true for Psychic-types that typically run Choice items, such as Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U. Dark-types with Pursuit such as Tyranitar and Bisharp are even able to trap and eliminate many of the Psychic-types that would want to switch into Amoonguss.
* As Amoonguss's Spore is blocked by Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain, Tapu Lele can be a useful partner; while Amoonguss receives little direct benefit from Psychic Terrain, the ability to clear the field of other Terrain effects allows Amoonguss to freely use Spore.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Toxic can be used to put a timer on common switch-ins to Amoonguss, including Fire-types such as Alolan Marowak and both of Charizard's Mega Evolutions, Psychic-types such as Latias and Latios, and Ice-types such as Kyurem-B. Unfortunately, many common Amoonguss switch-ins are immune to Toxic.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y take little damage from Amoonguss's offensive moves and can deal massive damage in return. They dislike switching into Spore or Stun Spore but otherwise have little to fear.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Mega Metagross, Tapu Lele, Latios, and Hoopa-U can OHKO Amoonguss with their Psychic STAB attacks. However, they are all bothered by Spore and Stun Spore, and most take significant damage from Foul Play or Sludge Bomb.

**Fying-types**: Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T can OHKO Amoonguss with their Flying STAB and aren't too worried by Amoonguss's offensive moves. They should avoid switching directly into Spore or Stun Spore, though.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Kyurem-B and Weavile can OHKO Amoonguss with their Ice STAB attacks and aren't overly threatened by Amoonguss's offensive options, but they dislike switching into Spore and Stun Spore.

**Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain**: While Amoonguss actually counters Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini, the Terrain effects they leave grant grounded Pokemon immunity to sleep and all status moves, respectively, for five turns. This greatly reduces Amoonguss's ability to threaten offensive Pokemon.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Amoonguss's low offensive stats mean it poses little threat to most bulky Pokemon, so long as they are not weak to Amoonguss's STAB moves. Once Spore has been spent, Pokemon such as Skarmory and Mew can freely switch into Amoonguss and use the opportunity to set up or remove entry hazards. Mandibuzz deserves a special mention, as it sports complete immunity to Amoonguss's powder moves and takes minimal damage from Amoonguss's attacks.

Last edited:
Think this is ready for QC. I'm not fully satisfied with:

-The EV spread: the benchmarks used in the XY spread no longer seem particularly relevant (LO HP Ice Thundurus) but I struggled to think of new benchmarks and remain unsatisfied with the ones I went for. I feel a more specially defensive spread is preferable this gen since you're primarily using this thing to eat Volt Switches.

-Where to mention Misty/Electric Terrain: I think this is relevant information to include since Amoonguss often switches in on Tapu Koko and so is often going to find itself in situations where it wants to Spore but can't. Doubt it's worth mentioning in every section but can see the argument for putting it in each one.

Would appreciate feedback on this (and everything else, of course).

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Great against VoltTurn since it can repeatedly come in on common Volt Switchers without being worn down
I'd word it differently, switching into Volt Switch gives the opponent momentum and they bring in their fire,psychic or flying type, so you can word it as something like "absorbs electric attacks".

It's main selling point in the future will probably be dealing with Tapus except Lele, but I'd mention that Koko can run Brave Bird. Bulu can learn Zen Headbutt too btw.

To counteract Electric and Misty Terrain, it could be paired with Tapu Lele , that way getting status off can be easier. That's all I have for now.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
idk if it's worth mentioning, but if you pair it with a Dark type, then it gets harder for the opponent to click Psychic moves as long as the Dark type is on the field. Tapu Lele is amazing, so having something that prevents it spamming Psychic other than a steel should be considered.

does your set live one Psychic (at a certain percentage) from scarf Lele and can kill back to prevent sweeps ?

and in other options: you can generalize it to: put timer on fire types like both zard formes, marowak, ...

Good call on the dark type, that's definitely something I've found myself incorporating into my teambuilding.

It's not possible to EV Amoonguss to live Scarf Lele Psychic I'm afraid, even max/max Calm gets OHKOed with Psychic Terrain up:

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 368-434 (85.3 - 100.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
**Defensive Pokemon**: Amoonguss's low offensive stats mean it poses little threat to most bulky Pokemon, so long as they are not weak to Amoonguss's STAB moves. Once Spore has been spent, Pokemon such as Skarmory and Mew can freely switch into Amoonguss and use the opportunity to set up or remove entry hazards.
this is up to you but, maybe mention Mandibuzz since it is immune to both Spore and Stun Spore due to Overcoat so it is able to switch in on Amoonguss.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
might be helpful to specifically mention Regenerator on partners (you talk about bro and nadusT already, for example). Could impact how you want to play since regen cores etc

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
  • As Amoonguss's Spore is blocked by Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain, Tapu Lele can be a useful partner; while Amoonguss receives little direct benefit from Psychic Terrain, the ability to clear the field of other terrain effects allows Amoonguss to freely use Spore.
Grassy Terrain/Tapu Bulu will be a better partner mainly because it powers up Amoonguss's stab and also gives it even more passive recovery. Halving the damage of Earthquake is also nice for Amoonguss as well. The problem I have with Psychic Terrain is like you said, Amoonguss doesn't benefit from it at all and it'll cause Psychic-type attacks to hit even harder on Amoonguss.

Thanks for the check.

this is up to you but, maybe mention Mandibuzz since it is immune to both Spore and Stun Spore due to Overcoat so it is able to switch in on Amoonguss.
I erred against mentioning this when writing the analysis since frankly I think Mandibuzz is pretty horrible this gen but it is getting an analysis so I figure it's probably worth including. Added, thank you.

might be helpful to specifically mention Regenerator on partners (you talk about bro and nadusT already, for example). Could impact how you want to play since regen cores etc
Added, thanks.
Grassy Terrain/Tapu Bulu will be a better partner mainly because it powers up Amoonguss's stab and also gives it even more passive recovery. Halving the damage of Earthquake is also nice for Amoonguss as well. The problem I have with Psychic Terrain is like you said, Amoonguss doesn't benefit from it at all and it'll cause Psychic-type attacks to hit even harder on Amoonguss.
I feel like Bulu and Amoonguss have too much defensive redundancy to be effective partners. They beat and are beaten by the same things, and one of the advantages of using Amoonguss over other grasses is that Regenerator means it's very hard to 'overload' (so I don't think the redundancy is likely to useful). The benefits from Grassy Terrain feel pretty marginal as well, Amoonguss is still piss-weak with a 50% boost and it doesn't get as much from the passive healing as a pokemon without reliable recovery does.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The only thing i'd suggest is HP Fire > Stun Spore because letting things like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Kartana basically come in do whatever they want for free is a major turn off

Otherwise, this analysis is awesome

2/3

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Considering Pheromosa's presence in the tier it may be best to run an EV spread designed to handle it to the best of Amoonguss' ability. 248 HP / 216 SDef allows Amoonguss to take two LO Ice Beams without Rocks on the field. I would probably make this the spread unless you have experience where the defense is really important. I'll ask the QC team what they think but let me know what you think of it as well.

3/3

Thanks for the check.

I think the proposed spread is reasonable. My main concern is that at 248HP / 44 Def, Amoonguss starts to feel quite shaky on the physical side. For example:

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 136 Def Amoonguss: 168-198 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 187-222 (43.3 - 51.5%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 248 HP / 136 Def Amoonguss: 166-196 (38.5 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 186-219 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 48.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

The Kartana calc feels a little troubling since I would really want a bulky grass to be able to handle scarf kartana. the Landorus-T calc is less of an issue although I think it's still noteworthy if a spread means a Pokemon is no longer able to switch into the most common variant of the most common Pokemon in the tier. In general I've found the extra physical bulk pleasant to have, Amoonguss often finds itself in situations where it has to tank errant physical hits to land a Spore.

I defer to QC's opinion of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckw
I said this in the Mega Venusaur analysis as well, but taking HP Ice from Modest Xurkitree isn't relevant when Xurkitree should be using Timid to begin with. Just make the spread like the one TDK suggested as the main once because that benchmark is super important with how omnipresent Pheromosa is. The extra spdef in general is just way more handy in this meta for stuff like Tapu Koko, Greninja (Ash), Tapu Fini, etc.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

* A strong defensive typing and solid mixed bulk allow Amoonguss to check a diverse range of threats, including Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Keldeo, and Serperior.
* Amoonguss has near-exclusive access to Spore, a 100% accurate sleep move.
* Regenerator makes it easy to keep Amoonguss healthy throughout the match.
* Amoonguss is effective against the VoltTurn archetype, (AC) as it can repeatedly soak up Electric attacks without being worn down.
* It is extremely slow.
* Amoonguss is offensively impotent; once Spore has been used it invites threatening Pokémon Pokemon to come in and start firing off powerful attacks.
* The prevalence of Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain hamper hampers Amoonguss's ability to cripple Pokémon Pokemon with status.

[SET]
name: Defensive Pivot
move 1: Spore
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Stun Spore / Foul Play
item: Black Sludge
ability: Regenerator
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Spore incapacitates one Pokemon on your opponent's team.
* Giga Drain is a solid STAB move that deals damage and heals Amoonguss.
* Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to stop certain boosting sweepers such as Calm Mind Clefable.
* Sludge Bomb is a much more powerful STAB option—notably, it cleanly OHKOs OHKOes maximum HP Tapu Bulu.
* Hidden Power Fire hits certain Pokemon with a x4 Fire weakness such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Kartana that Amoonguss would otherwise treat Amoonguss as give a free switch in.
* Stun Spore cripples various offensive Pokemon that would treat Amoonguss as setup bait after Spore has been used.
* Foul Play easily 2HKOs 2HKOes Mega Metagross and Hoopa-U, deterring these threats from switching in.

Set Details
========

* A fully defensive EV spread, including 248 HP EVs, maximizes Amoonguss' Amoonguss's ability to repeatedly switch in on threats.
* Black Sludge improves Amoonguss's longevity.
* A Calm nature boosts Amoonguss's Special Defense, allowing it to more easily soak up special attacks from the likes of Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Fini.
* 216 SpD EVs ensure that Amoonguss is never 2HKOed by Life Orb Pheromosa's Ice Beam.
* The remaining EVs are placed in Defense to better ward Amoonguss against errant stray (feel "errant" has a too specific meaning to work properly here but idk) physical attacks.
* An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD with a Calm nature can be used to better cushion Amoonguss from physical attacks, avoiding the 2HKO from attacks such as Choice Scarf Kartana's Smart Strike and Choice Band Tapu Bulu's Stone Edge after Stealth Rock. However, the drop in special bulk with this spread is appreciable.

Usage Tips
========

* Amoonguss should switch in early and often on threats such as Tapu Bulu and Keldeo to force them out and get an opportunity to fire off Spore or Stun Spore.
* Lure sets are not uncommon on some of the Pokemon that Amoonguss checks; if Amoonguss is needed to check multiple Pokemon on your opponent's team, try using double switches to scout for moves such as Brave Bird on Tapu Koko and Zen Headbutt on Tapu Bulu.
* Regenerator makes it easy to keep Amoonguss healthy throughout the match by simply switching it out.
* Spore is your trump card. Play it thoughtfully; your opponent may try and get you to waste it on Pokemon that are already weakened.
* Once Spore has been used Amoonguss's poor offensive presence will grant your opponent switch in opposing Pokemon opportunities to switch in freely. Careful double switches can tip momentum in your favor and prevent threatening Pokemon or entry hazard setters from switching in without repercussion.
* If using Stun Spore, be aware that the changes to paralysis in SM mean that Amoonguss will still be slower than most offensive targets after they have been paralyzed.
* Special care should be taken when Electric Terrain or Misty Terrain are is active, as an Amoonguss that is unable to inflict status conditions is a sitting duck.

Team Options
========

* Amoonguss's ability to repeatedly switch into Electric-types commonly seen on VoltTurn teams, such as Tapu Koko and Rotom-W, makes it a great teammate for Water- and Flying-types whose Electric weakness means they struggle against this archetype. Particularly noteworthy are other Pokemon with Regenerator, such as Tornadus-T and Slowbro; these Pokemon form strong Regenerator cores with Amoonguss, where each member is able to pivot into the other's checks.
* Bulky Steel-types have good type synergy with Amoonguss; Celesteela, Heatran, Skarmory and Mega Scizor resist many types that threaten Amoonguss while appreciating Amoonguss's ability to soak up Electric-, Fighting-, and Water-type attacks.
* As a Grass-type, Amoonguss has excellent type synergy with Water- and Fire-types. The Fire / Water / Grass core formed with partners such as Mantine and Heatran can be difficult to break, as each member covers the other's others' weaknesses well.
* Particularly noteworthy is Amoonguss's strong performance on sand teams; it reliably beats Water-, Fighting-, (AC) and Grass-types that threaten the core of Tyranitar and Excadrill, and, unlike Mega Venusaur's case, (or "unlike for Mega Venusaur) its healing is not impaired by the sand.
* Dark-type teammates can be useful, (AC) as the presence of a Psychic immunity discourages Psychic-types, which threaten Amoonguss, from using their STAB moves; this is especially true for Psychic-types that typically run Choice items, such as Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U. Dark-types with Pursuit such as Tyranitar and Bisharp are even able to trap and eliminate many of the Psychic-types that would want to switch into Amoonguss.
* As Amoonguss's Spore is blocked by Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain, Tapu Lele can be a useful partner; while Amoonguss receives little direct benefit from Psychic Terrain, the ability to clear the field of other Terrain effects allows Amoonguss to freely use Spore.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Toxic can be used to put a timer on common switch-ins to Amoonguss, including Fire-types such as Alolan Marowak and both of Charizard's formes Mega Evolutions, Psychic-types such as Latias and Latios, and Ice-types such as Kyurem-B. Unfortunately, many common Amoonguss switch-ins are immune to Toxic.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y take little damage from Amoonguss's offensive moves and can deal massive damage in return. They dislike switching into Spore or Stun Spore but otherwise have little to fear.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Mega Metagross, Tapu Lele, Latios, and Hoopa-U can OHKO Amoonguss with their Psychic STAB attacks. However, they are all bothered by Spore and Stun Spore, and most take significant damage from Foul Play or Sludge Bomb.

**Fying-types**: Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T can OHKO Amoonguss with their Flying STAB attacks and aren't too worried by Amoonguss's offensive moves. They should avoid switching directly into Spore or Stun Spore, though.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Kyurem-B and Weavile can OHKO Amoonguss with their Ice STAB attacks and aren't overly threatened by Amoonguss's offensive options, but they dislike switching into Spore and Stun Spore.

**Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain**: While Amoonguss actually counters Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini, the Terrain effects they leave grant grounded Pokemon immunity to sleep and all status moves, respectively, for five turns. This greatly reduces Amoonguss's ability to threaten offensive Pokemon.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Amoonguss's low offensive stats mean it poses little threat to most bulky Pokemon, so long as they are not weak to Amoonguss's STAB moves. Once Spore has been spent, Pokemon such as Skarmory and Mew can freely switch into Amoonguss and use the opportunity to set up or remove entry hazards. Mandibuzz deserves a special mention, (AC) as it sports complete immunity to Amoonguss's powder moves and takes minimal damage from Amoonguss's attacks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)