ORAS OU Anphonic

Hey it's daft! Happy New Year and welcome to my RMT :] I decided to make a team for the Suspect Ladder which turned out alright.

Here's a cool song to keep you interested:

Anyway, let's get into it.​

Not so much of a peak but more like it's the point where i stopped laddering cos i got enough coil for reqs but w/e.

Tornadus-T was the first mon i picked basically because i felt it could occupy a similar (albeit not as good) role to Greninja in terms of threatening teams with it's excellent speed tier and awesome coverage.

Mega Metagross seemed like a huge threat which would be able to capitalise on mons Tornadus-T could beat such as Skarmory and is just underprepared for in general.

Keldeo was chosen to to round off the offensive core as it capitalises on things which Mega Metagross and Tornadus-t break through such as Clefable and Celebi.

Landorus-T and Rotom-w were both sort of added together as they form a nice voltturn core around Mega Metagross while Landorus-T also provides SR support. Rotom-w also importantly functions as a bird check.

Hawlucha was added as a secondary bisharp check and weather check (unburden sweeps hehebwoi) and also because it sets up on scarf lan-t which seems to be on every other team right now.

I guess you could call this version 1 of the team.

The team basically autoloses to boltbeam coverage (Thundurus, Mega Manectric, Raikou etc) so jake05 suggested adding a Clefable. Lucha seemed the most expendable so it unfortunately got the flick despite being my favourite XY mon. Clefable also fixed a glaring weakness to Latios which was able to drop Draco Meteors which would force me to either sack a mon or make Meta take 50%.

This is version 2 of the team and got me the last 15-20 wins i needed and is more suited to the upper portion of the ladder since Thund-i seems to be on nearly every team i played. I like this version more in terms of consistency although it gets smashed by Kingdra Rain (which doesn't seem to be too common fortunately).

The Team

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Nature: Naive
Moves: Hurricane, Superpower, Knock Off, Heat Wave

Say hello to the star of the show, Big Bird. Tornadus-T with its base 121 Spe and incredible movepool is just an absolute menace in the current metagame. While it's offensive stats (100 Atk/110 SpA) aren't too spectacular, it still hits incredibly hard when equipped with a life orb due to it's high base power attacks. It basically picks apart shitty balance built around Mega Venu, Ttar, Heatran, Celebi, etc.

The set i've chosen focuses on coverage as opposed to momentum (as you can see due to a lack of u-turn). Hurricane was chosen due to being a powerful stab (which is unreliable at times) while Superpower was selected over Focus Blast as Hurricane + Focus Blast is just asking for trouble in terms of reliability. Knock Off catches Chansey which is then punished by Superpower as well as Latios and Gengar which are big metagames threats right now. Lastly Heat Wave was picked over U-turn to turn Tornadus-T into an all out sweeper which hits targets such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor while also doing a clean 75% to Mega Metagross which is basically in range after switching into Moonblast + Rocks. Heat Wave is also handy to hit targets such as Breloom and Mega Pinsir when Hurricane can't be relied upon 100%. Honestly can't really think of too many mons which enjoy switching into Torn-t besides Rotom-w which gets worn down if you catch it with Knock Off. LO Hurricane is good shit.

The EVs are fairly simple. Max Atk to hit hard with LO Hurricane, 216 Spe to outrun Scarf Ttar and OHKO with Superpower with the spare EVs dumped into Atk. Naive has been chosen due to an abundance of priority in the current meta. Move over AV Torn-t, LO is red hot.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, Bullet Punch/Grass Knot

This is just a massive threat to all kinds of teams right now. It's beaten by a few mons such as Skarmory, Bronzong and Mega Scizor which are smashed by both Tornadus-T as well as Keldeo. Everything else is picked apart by Tough Claws Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt after Hammer Arm eliminates Heatran, Bisharp and Ferrothorn. Bullet punch is quite important as it OHKOs scarf Lan-t after taking a Meteor Mash (yay Clear Body!) and also revenges Mega Altaria which threatens this team at +1. Grass Knot can be run to hit Slowbro and other bulky waters although Torn-t, Keldeo and Clefable seem to beat them.

EVs are are stock standard. Max Atk Max Spe for power and speed.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Moves: Substitute, Calm Mind, Scald, Secret Sword

Sub CM Keldeo is trending right now and for a very good reason; it smashes balance/stall and has incredible offensive synergy with Mega Metagross. Sub CM Keld smashes through mons such as Scizor and Skarmory to pave the way for Metagross to clean up while Metagross takes out fairies such as Azumarill and Clefable which give Keldeo a hard time.

EVs and moves are standard. Sub + CM to stallbreak while Scald and Secret Swords are STABs. Leftovers over a boosting item as Keldeo generally doesn't need the extra power and the constant recovery helps it stay healthy to check things such as Bisharp while also recovering lost HP from subs.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 192 HP / 208 Def / 108 Spe
Nature: Impish
Moves: Earthquake, Rock Slide, U-turn, Stealth Rock

Landorus-T does a lot for this team as one part of the defensive backbone to take on physical threats, providing momentum for Mega Metagross as well as Stealth Rock support. It also functions as the Mega Charizard X check (which a lot of teams are currently unprepared for due to the shiny new oras megas trending). Rock Slide has been chosen over Stone Edge for reliability and due to the extra power not really being needed. Landorus-T also forms a reliable voltturn combination with Rotom-W to bring in the heavy hitters (Torn-T, Metagross and Keld).

I don't quite remember what these EVs do exactly but it outruns max spe jolly Ttar and Adamant Bisharp (so it's forced to sucker or die). May have stole it from a team TheEnder passed me.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Nature: Bold
Moves: Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Will-o-wisp, Pain Split

Rotom-w is the second half of the voltturn core mainly supporting Mega Metagross. It also acts as a bird spam check as pokemon such as SD Talon can smash through this team otherwise. There's not really too much to say here. STABs, status, dodgy recovery yada yada.

44 Spe is important to check BD Azu which is a big threat in ORAS due to the legality of BD + Knock Off.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Nature: Calm
Moves: Moonblast, Calm Mind, Soft-Boiled, Thunder Wave

Clefable functions as the Thundurus, Mega Manectric and Raikou check as well as Lati check. It sponges all kinds bolt beam coverage which basically tears through the rest of my team and switches into Draco Meteor which otherwise kills something or knocks Metagross for half it's HP. Clefable really benefits from Greninja's absence as it's one less thing which can stop it. CM has been picked to form another win condition while Thunder Wave has been selected for speed control as i don't think the team really needs Flamethrower or Stored Power as Keldeo + Heat Wave Torn-t are quite adept at removing Steel Types.

Mixed def EVs has been chosen to handle the aforementioned threats (i.e. avoiding 2hkos from Thund, lati, etc). It also handles Rock Polish Diancie which is a threat if Metagross goes down.

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 30 HP
Moves: High Jump Kick, Acrobatics, Swords Dance, Substitute

Hawlucha is an option over Clefable although it makes the team basically unbearably weak to Thundurus, Mega Manec, etc. It functions as a secondary Bisharp check and also a weather check as after a Sub + 2 rocks switchins, Unburden activates allowing it to revenge kill. High Jump Kick and Acrobatics are standard stabs which SD and Substitute are for setting up. Lucha also takes incredibly advantage of choice locked Landorus-T which often forces it to avoid Earthquaking on Mega Metagross meaning you can just click Zen Headbutt/Meteor Mash as it u-turns out.

The EVs outrun Scarf Ttar while the 30 IV HP means Hawlucha's HP is divisible by both 4 and 8 (i.e. unburden activates after 2 subs, 1 sub + 2 SR switches, 4 SR switches) which is quite important. Max Atk for power and the spare EVs are dumped into Def. Jolly because imo Adamant Lucha is quite bad since it basically has one chance to sweep and occupies a very poor speed tier while Jolly Lucha can come in even early-mid game and threaten out things such as Keldeo or Sub on base 110s such as Latios and Gengar.

• Kingdra Rain is really hard to deal with and basically autowins unless Clefable can get off a t-wave. Kabutops and Mega Swampert are managable through Keldeo + Rotom-W.

• Bolt beam coverage unless Clefable>Hawlucha. Mega Manectric, Thundurus and Raikou completely smash the team if Clef goes down.

• Mega Medicham. I don't really have any switchins lol. Luckily i only faced this once

• Mega Metagross (which basically threatens any team without Bronzong, Scizor, Skarm, etc).

• BD Azu if Rotom/Keld get weakened enough.

• Landorus-i doesn't have too many good switchins and i basically have to pivot around it if it comes in on Clefable.

I don't ever do this normally but hey may as well say thanks to the people who make this site enjoyable for me.

Trickzio aka yaboi Escavalier. Came up with Torn-t's nick (Big Bird) and would have got reqs with this team if he wasn't such as hax magnet. Ty for putting up with it for as long as you did mate. Sick cunt.

seventyfive bae. ocl hype!!

MegaScizor For believing in Tornadus-T from the moment i decided to make this team and being a good fren in general way back.

Prankster. My recent DPP tutor and good fren. You've also played a big part in me improving as a player in XY. ty for everything so far man.

Disorient A cool dude who helps me test a lot and who i should build more with.

Flan76 bae. And yes i believe you, adamant pinsir is legit :]

IAmGingy Really good fren and underrated user who helps me practice a lot and gives me awesome teams. About to kick some serious ass make a name for himself in SPL.

Dread Arceus Man you always crack me up :]

scotti scoooooooooots aka everyone's favourite blasian.

jacksoras my partner in crime! are you still alive? lel :( Hit me up for some building seshes.

praj.pran Somebody who will be kicking serious ass really soon. Keep your eye on him.

Tom Bus drive that bus bud :]

Wiz T7 should be room owner everywhere imo

TheEnder One of my closest and most talented friends on this site who has played a big part in my improvement as a player. Thanks for everything mate. Glad to see you getting noticed recently :]

Omegasization For being a cool dude despite all of the ab00s

Yuttt For instilling the fear of spdf Gliscor into me :(

Habajiga la da dee la dee daaaaaaa :]

Gizmo Jizmo, ty for being a cool dude and hearing out my stupid ideas such as NP duggy azelf.

Sorry if i forgot you n_n

Closing Thoughts

I feel that this team is fairly reflective of a few big threats in an early Greninja-less Metagame and that Tornadus-T is currently a sleeper threat which will become extremely popular as the meta develops. It's currently ranked B- under viability but in practice i feel it's an A rank threat which nobody really prepares for. Thanks for reading and i hope you have as much fun with the team as i did.

Oh btw, Greninja 6-0s this team as it outruns everything and ohkos/2hkos. Clearly i've taken advantage of it's absence :]

Big Bird (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Jono (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Paavo (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Tony (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 208 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Kyau (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Albert (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
I really like this team! I was working on something similar involving Megagross, LandoT and Rotom-W, and Magic Guard Clefable, however I didn't consider Tornadus and Keldeo (I like building my teams in game, and I can't get them).

There's really no comparison for Keldeo (he forms such a great core with Megagross), but can you think of any two Pokemon that could try to replace Keldeo and Tornadus? It doesn't have to be perfect, as my friends that I would play against won't have perfect teams either.

Well while you thought you were being cheeky using an under rated threat, it looks like an under rated threat has snuck up on you....SPECS SYLVEON! WHERE ARE YOUR SWITCHINS???? this monster straight destroys you! I mean cmon dude you cant be sleeping on threats like this. I mean rotom-w, land-t, clefable, keldeo, tornadus literally cant even do damage to it, your only hope is to switch metagross in but wait (252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) BOP! Metagross is now fucking useless and sylveon can just switch out and come back later to fuck your shit up with hyper voice. You think youre clefable has decent special bulk? Enjojy getting bopped by this (252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 250-295 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery) Then outsped and KO'd. I will put the rest of the calcs of your team getting destroyed in this hide here
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 264-312 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 333-393 (87.1 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 339-400 (113.3 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 608-716 (188.2 - 221.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah if you dont want to look in there I will spoil it, they all get OHKOd. So now you are asking yourself "Based MegaScizor what do I do???" Fear not my child I have the answer. I custom made a set just for you to not only perfectly fit into your team but nicely handle specs sylveon.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

This should replace that passive ass clefable of yours, as it can perfectly take on the threats you wanted clefable to handle like manectric, thundy, raikou, latios, but this set also lets you gain momentum whenever sylveon comes in. You get the flame charge boost and then you can outspeed positive nature 135's and below, and you can hit manectric or raikou with the crisp earthquak, or bop thundurus with a nice stone edge, hell I even gave you a way to beat latios too with crunch. I literally thought of everything and Its painfully clear that I just saved your team from mediocrity. Let me go into more detail with this set for you because I truly innovated it just for you and I want to make sure you use it right. All the things you wanted clefable to handle are easily handled by this set, if any of those mons come in you get a free chance to set up a flame charge, then common heatran switchisn like tentacruel will just get absolutely bopped by earthquake since you are hitting it on its weaker defensive side, and that opens up holes in the team for your other members to have fun.

So in conclusion specs sylveon was a huge problem for your team, I custom made an amazing replacement for clefable that not only does clefables job but also beats specs sylveon, and I just saved your team from being bad. No need to thank me because we are homies, but I just want you to at least appreciate all the effort I put in to making your team better in a creative way. I hope this set works out for you :)

Well while you thought you were being cheeky using an under rated threat, it looks like an under rated threat has snuck up on you....SPECS SYLVEON! WHERE ARE YOUR SWITCHINS???? this monster straight destroys you! I mean cmon dude you cant be sleeping on threats like this. I mean rotom-w, land-t, clefable, keldeo, tornadus literally cant even do damage to it, your only hope is to switch metagross in but wait (252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) BOP! Metagross is now fucking useless and sylveon can just switch out and come back later to fuck your shit up with hyper voice. You think youre clefable has decent special bulk? Enjojy getting bopped by this (252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 250-295 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery) Then outsped and KO'd. I will put the rest of the calcs of your team getting destroyed in this hide here
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 264-312 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 333-393 (87.1 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 339-400 (113.3 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 608-716 (188.2 - 221.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah if you dont want to look in there I will spoil it, they all get OHKOd. So now you are asking yourself "Based MegaScizor what do I do???" Fear not my child I have the answer. I custom made a set just for you to not only perfectly fit into your team but nicely handle specs sylveon.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

This should replace that passive ass clefable of yours, as it can perfectly take on the threats you wanted clefable to handle like manectric, thundy, raikou, latios, but this set also lets you gain momentum whenever sylveon comes in. You get the flame charge boost and then you can outspeed positive nature 135's and below, and you can hit manectric or raikou with the crisp earthquak, or bop thundurus with a nice stone edge, hell I even gave you a way to beat latios too with crunch. I literally thought of everything and Its painfully clear that I just saved your team from mediocrity. Let me go into more detail with this set for you because I truly innovated it just for you and I want to make sure you use it right. All the things you wanted clefable to handle are easily handled by this set, if any of those mons come in you get a free chance to set up a flame charge, then common heatran switchisn like tentacruel will just get absolutely bopped by earthquake since you are hitting it on its weaker defensive side, and that opens up holes in the team for your other members to have fun.

So in conclusion specs sylveon was a huge problem for your team, I custom made an amazing replacement for clefable that not only does clefables job but also beats specs sylveon, and I just saved your team from being bad. No need to thank me because we are homies, but I just want you to at least appreciate all the effort I put in to making your team better in a creative way. I hope this set works out for you :)
I feel like a boring, unoriginal special moveset might still be better (or mixed), but even if it's physical, there are a couple things I would want to fix:

First, you made a mistake with your EVs. If you want to outspeed Base 135s after a Flame Charge, you need 228 EVs and the nature boost, leaving 32 EVs in Attack. Right now at +1 Heatran hits 342 speed (a little more than what it takes to outspeed Pinsir, a base 105).

Second, there's no strong stab move, if you just want to go out and kill something with Heatran. I suggest replacing Crunch with Iron Head, since Iron Head still hits Latios fairly hard, and Mega Metagross also checks Latios even if it gets past Heatran.

Though I still question how viable the a pure physical set is. Other than Flame Charge, you can get basically those same moves as special versions. Dropping Flame Charge allows you to put EVs back from speed into offenses again though (I would drop it to 124 speed EVs and use an offense boosting nature, that creeps Jolly Azumarill and the Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur creeping those it also). Due to those extra EVs, the damage is almost always better, except for the damage for Stone Edge vs Ancientpower, so you could stay mixed for that. You also get to replace Flame Charge with Fire Blast or Flamethrower for a really strong stab move, instead of having Earthquake be Heatran's strongest move.

Some examples of those threats that Clefable was dealing with. Out of them, AV Raikou was the only one where physical Heatran hit harder, and also Tentacruel with no defense EVs.
32 Atk Heatran Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 244 Def Tentacruel: 142-168 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
136+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tentacruel: 154-182 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

32 Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 182-216 (60.8 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
136+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 220-259 (73.5 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

32 Atk Heatran Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 132-156 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO
136+ SpA Heatran Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 162-192 (54.1 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

32 Atk Heatran Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 174-206 (52.8 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
136+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Raikou: 200-236 (60.7 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
136+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Raikou: 134-158 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

hey shit user, im still alive, will be back in 10 days n_n.

Also mega manectric seems like the biggest bitch alive and the only thing i could think to change that would be to make lando t scarf and give clefable rocks which opens up other holes.

Solid team mang n_n

Hello :)
The fun thing is that I was testing quite the same team some days ago, because tornadus and megagross are too good with the potential Greninja ban.
I just would give Landorus a scarf and maybe some more offensive EVs, because Rotom and Clefable already tank enough and it would help keep your momentum high.
Something like
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

You lose SR but you win Knock Off that adds pressure on the enemy team (well, it KOes often actually).
Maybe SR over TWave on Clefable, but I agree with you that Clefable creates many switches, meaning there are many opportunities to TWave and don't be annoyed by the Hammer Arm speed drop.
Please give me your feedback if you test this :)
Great team overall. :)

Hello :)
The fun thing is that I was testing quite the same team some days ago, because tornadus and megagross are too good with the potential Greninja ban.
I just would give Landorus a scarf and maybe some more offensive EVs, because Rotom and Clefable already tank enough and it would help keep your momentum high.
Something like
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

You lose SR but you win Knock Off that adds pressure on the enemy team (well, it KOes often actually).
Maybe SR over TWave on Clefable, but I agree with you that Clefable creates many switches, meaning there are many opportunities to TWave and don't be annoyed by the Hammer Arm speed drop.
Please give me your feedback if you test this :)
Great team overall. :)
While i think Scarf Lan-t would be great for momentum and some additional speed (cos let's face it, my fastest mon only outruns scarf Ttar), this team really needs bulky Lan-t defensively. Something like Zard X can setup on Rotom-w leading to an instant sweep since Jolly Zard X beats Scarf Lan-t and defensive Lan-t also gives me a little bit of breathing space to play around Mega Meta which is one of the biggest threats in OU right now. A slow u-turn is also extremely nice to bring in Mega Meta and Tornadus-T safely.

Hey man, nice team. Out of all of the teams that you've built and handed to me, this was probably in the top percentage (at least when certain ladder heroes weren't getting insanely lucky). As someone who used this team for a good 50 or so games, I know its weaknesses pretty well. Weather (Kingdra rain in particular stands out as a huge threat) and fast electric types with access to Volt Switch in order to get residual damage on Clefable stand out as the two main threats against this team.

In order to somewhat remedy this, I think you should try Defensive Stealth Rock Hippowdon over Landorus-Therian, as it still checks physical attackers such as DD Mega Charizard X and Talonflame, while also giving you the ability to comfortably beat Mega Manectric and Raikou, while also changing the weather which can be somewhat helpful versus rain teams (you can target Politoed as it tries to come in, taking residual damage).

While I understand that there are reasons that you'd want to keep Lando-T, such as a slow U-turn, more offensive pressure, I think that the support otherwise offered by Hippo is greatly appreciated by your team.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers | Sand Stream
Impish Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Toxic | Slack Off

If you feel like SD Mega Pinsir becomes a bigger threat from this change due to how easy it is to wear down Rotom-Wash, by all means feel free to substitute Toxic for Stone Edge. 252 HP / 4 SpD allow Hippowdon to always avoid the 2HKO from Mega Manectric's Hidden Power [Ice], factoring in Stealth Rock and Leftovers. The reason I didn't bother investing enough in to Hippowdon's Special Defense to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus is because LO Thundurus typically doesn't carry Volt Switch in order to get easy chip damage on Clefable, forcing the 2HKO next time it comes in. Crucially, 252 / 252+ Hippowdon is able to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Mega Charizard X's +1 Dragon Claw, as well as its unboosted Flare Blitz, meaning Mega Charizard X has to take recoil to KO Hippowdon. This recoil in combination with Earthquake will be enough to check it.

In regards to Mega Metagross, with smart play you can pivot Hippowdon into Meteor Mash or Zen Headbutt, before letting Rotom-Wash take Grass Knot.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 136-162 (32.3 - 38.5%) -- 53% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 282-332 (67.1 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 121-144 (28.8 - 34.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 160-189 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 151-178 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 176-208 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 158-186 (37.6 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Hey man, nice team. Out of all of the teams that you've built and handed to me, this was probably in the top percentage (at least when certain ladder heroes weren't getting insanely lucky). As someone who used this team for a good 50 or so games, I know its weaknesses pretty well. Weather (Kingdra rain in particular stands out as a huge threat) and fast electric types with access to Volt Switch in order to get residual damage on Clefable stand out as the two main threats against this team.

In order to somewhat remedy this, I think you should try Defensive Stealth Rock Hippowdon over Landorus-Therian, as it still checks physical attackers such as DD Mega Charizard X and Talonflame, while also giving you the ability to comfortably beat Mega Manectric and Raikou, while also changing the weather which can be somewhat helpful versus rain teams (you can target Politoed as it tries to come in, taking residual damage).

While I understand that there are reasons that you'd want to keep Lando-T, such as a slow U-turn, more offensive pressure, I think that the support otherwise offered by Hippo is greatly appreciated by your team.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers | Sand Stream
Impish Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Toxic | Slack Off

If you feel like SD Mega Pinsir becomes a bigger threat from this change due to how easy it is to wear down Rotom-Wash, by all means feel free to substitute Toxic for Stone Edge. 252 HP / 4 SpD allow Hippowdon to always avoid the 2HKO from Mega Manectric's Hidden Power [Ice], factoring in Stealth Rock and Leftovers. The reason I didn't bother investing enough in to Hippowdon's Special Defense to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus is because LO Thundurus typically doesn't carry Volt Switch in order to get easy chip damage on Clefable, forcing the 2HKO next time it comes in. Crucially, 252 / 252+ Hippowdon is able to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Mega Charizard X's +1 Dragon Claw, as well as its unboosted Flare Blitz, meaning Mega Charizard X has to take recoil to KO Hippowdon. This recoil in combination with Earthquake will be enough to check it.

In regards to Mega Metagross, with smart play you can pivot Hippowdon into Meteor Mash or Zen Headbutt, before letting Rotom-Wash take Grass Knot.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 136-162 (32.3 - 38.5%) -- 53% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 282-332 (67.1 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 121-144 (28.8 - 34.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 160-189 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 151-178 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 176-208 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 158-186 (37.6 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Damn, that makes a lot of sense and seems way more reliable than Lan-t due to recovery. Definitely testing this out.

Thanks heaps!

Hey :)
I tried with Hippowdown instead of Lando-T, it is 14 W in a row !
Pretty solid, and the weather problem is solved with some anticipation.
Stone Edge is only needed versus SD Mega Pinsir imho !
Really good team :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)