Unofficial Metagames Anything Goes - Mega Gengar Baton Pass

Mega Gengar Baton Pass

Introduction:

Hello everyone! I am an OU / Monotype / BSD player who used to play many other metagames but became bored with them. Recently, I discovered one of my old Ubers teams and decided to change it up a bit with a Baton Pass spin. I soon realized that Baton Pass is banned, which lead to this team being Anything Goes. Currently, this team just started on the ladder but is 9-1 so far. Before I ladder further though, I just wanted to see what you guys think of the team. There are replays at the bottom which should help, but they are all relatively low ladder, so they aren't too credible (usually I'm T500 on my main account, so these games were easy).

The Team:

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Protect

I chose Mega Gengar on this team partly because it's a mega I have wanted to use on one of my teams for a while, but couldn't because he is banned in the formats that I play (besides BSD, but I hate running Perish Trap), but mainly he is on this team to trap in easy kills such as Xerneas (pre-geomancy), Aegislash, etc. So far, I haven't really needed to use Gengar, mainly because Ground and Dragonite are borderline broken, but also because I have been encountering some really weird teams. Overall, when I have used Gengar, it puts in the work it needs to and that's all that matters.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Primal Ground is the undisputed MVP of this team. Ninjasks +3 Speed and +2 Attack boosts onto Groudon make this thing more of a threat than it usually is. Having the boosts on Groudon without having to boost itself allows for more move variety and sweeping potential (out-speeds every non-scarfed Pokemon and has a lot of Attack). Not only this, but Groudon can easily set up Stealth Rock and break any potential sashes. Overall, Groudon is one of the Pokemon on this team that has consistently been in every game.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Geomancy

I threw Xerneas on this team purely as a backup for if everything goes downhill and I'm glad I did. If an opponent can successfully take down Groudon / Dragonite, Xerneas is the fallback wincon that I have in most games. There isn't much to say about Xerneas except that it's good, but counterable - which is why I would be willing to change it if necessary.

Arceus @ Normalium Z
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

There isn't much to say about Arceus except that it's basically filler space. I have it on here in the scenario that a team is extremely weak to priority so it can receive Shedinja's boost and sweep, but overall Arceus hasn't been too useful besides getting 1-2 kills.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

I love having Dragonite on this team because of the potential of receiving Weakness Policy boosts on top of Shedinja's normal boosts, but usually, Groudon is the Pokemon to receive the boosts. Overall Dragonite is here if a Pokemon is using Fairy / Ice moves to Baton Pass to for extra boosts. He is useful to have on this team, but also replaceable if you see a better edit.

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Protect

Finally, the actual MVP (Groudon is only because it actually receives the boosts, but Ninjask should get the credit because it is the one who passes the boosts). This is a pretty basic Ninjask set - Baton Pass, Protect (Easy Speed boosts), U-Turn (if a Pokemon with priority starts out), and Swords Dance. All I use Ninjask for is Baton Pass, but most of the time if escapes on 1 HP, allowing me to get a +1 boost on another Pokemon if necessary.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-874680034https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-874685983https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-874691591(I'm aware I fought Jayden 2 times, it's just the second time shows that Xerneas has some use)

Conclusion:

In conclusion, I would say I'm very proud of this team, but it definitely could be made a lot better from rates. Thanks for reading my post, have an amazing day!

Last edited:
I would say that you could change Gengar to Marshadow, he is a good Baton Pass counter, and you could also change Dragonite for MegaMence or M-Rayquaza, that would make the team better offensively. Bulky Pdon can help the team a lot, resisting a lot of attacks and making him to sweep easier, with +3 speed you don't need really much investment on speed. You were talking all the time about Shedninja, but you have Ninjask, and all the other things are really good.
Edit: xd we both love marshadow :P

Last edited:
Hello welcome to the anything goes community honestly I am going to start off saying going 9-1 on the anything goes ladder is not very impressive and isn't really anything to brag about, your team seems majorly flawed in various ways that would prevent this team from succeeding higher up on the ladder

The first thing I would make to this team is remove dragonite entirely as it is unviable in ag and serves very little purpose on the team, I would replace it with a support arceus because your team lacks a way to deal with rocks and your main strategy is crippled by having rocks up
Example set:

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

The next major change I would make is to replace ninjask with smash pass smeargle, smeargle is general is a better baton pass mon and is able to learn spore to give you a chance for a safe switch

Set:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- King's Shield
- Spore

Now this is the biggest major change but I believe that mega rayquaza would work significantly better on this team than mega gengar. Mray is a very good pokemon In general and can fit in most teams well. Mgar just doesn't seem to work on this team very well

Set:
Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Now for the minor changes, these are just changes that are just like evs and movesets

Consider Running this pdon set over the one you are currently using

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- stealth rock
- Earthquake
- Eruption
- Dragon Pulse

This set is better for smash pass and is able to hit more threats than the one you are currently using

Change the xerneas set to

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 168 Def / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

The evs allow it to survive attacks such as life orb mray dragon ascent before setting up

Also consider Change the ekiller from jolly to adamant. It needs the power

https://pokepast.es/38743f0a7872da9eenjoy the new team I tried my best to edit it while still keeping the orginal intentions of the team

This is my first time doing a rate so I probably did a bad job with wording and formatting
I apologize if I came off as harsh

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)