April Resolution

April Resolution

Introduction: Hello. With the release of B/W 2, I've gotten back into competitive battling. The last time I actually competitively battled was during the D/P/PT metagame, when "Shoddy" was the main online Pokémon battling simulator. Sure I probably did about 20 battles after B/W 1 came out, but none of them were actually competitive and I was just playing around with the generation five Pokémons. However, when B/W 2 released, I decided to start competitively battling again and after getting a feel for the metagame (bunch of random battles with random Pokémons), I created a couple of teams. Some worked, some didn't. After more experimentation, I've concluded that this team is by far the best one I created since returning to competitive batting.

While watching the Mets game and daydreaming as the bullpen blew the lead, I decided to make a team based around the good ol' generation four combination of Gengar, Tyranitar and Magnezone. These three would always give Scizor, Latias and Heatran--probably the three most overused Pokémons back in D/P/PT competitive battling when I last played--nightmares. I thought, hey, mind as well see if it still works in this metagame. Naturally, I included a Latios for type coverage and synergy. I also decided to use my good ol' Scizor for his every-so reliable Bullet Punch priority. Lastly, I decided to include scarf Keldeo just because it looks awesome. Little did I know this pony would end up being my favorite fifth generation Pokémon (non competitive and competitively wise). Yes I read the thread titled, "How to make an RMT" and know the RMT rule thread states that "picking a Pokémon because it's your favorite/gimmick" shouldn't be a explanation for why a Pokémon is on the team, but actually, Keldeo fits perfectly on this team and is a great late game sweeper. Anyways, after some tweaking and fixing (most noticeably replacing Gengar with Landorus-T), I peaked at #64 in the Wifi OU (standard). I could post a whole "team building process" thing, but I don't feel it's necessary since I only made one Pokémon change (Gengar to Landorus-T) and reading about my obsessive EV/moveset/item changing is unnecessary and most likely going to bore you. Anyways, I peaked at #64, then started losing a bit, thus why I made the decision to post this team for rating and hopefully improvement. Nonetheless, on to the team.

Harvey Specter (Tyranitar)
(M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Attack / 200 Special Defense
Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

First and foremost, I'll just like to say I despise rain (Drizzle) and sun (Drought). I don't see why Drought + Chlorophyll don't join Drizzle + Swift Swim on the ban list, especially given that Venasaur (with Sleep Powder) has Chlorophyll. Nonetheless, this mini-rant is beside the point. Tyranitar has three main purpose on this team. One, to use his Sand Stream and get rid of the rain/sun. Two, to use Stealth Rock and set up my only entry hazard (rocks). Third, to Pursuit the likes of Latios, Latias, Starmie, Zapdos, Jolteon and others. This Tyranitar also counters Heatran well, as the standard Heatran only does about 30%-41% on this Tyranitar. Actually, I used 252 HP and 200 Special Defense so it can take most hits from special attackers and proceed to Pursuit them if they switch (if they don't, Pursuit still does a good amount). Unless specs, most special attackers can't 2HKO a fully healthy Tyranitar with these EVs, leaving me a opportunity to Pursuit or attack them with my other moves. Speaking of my other moves, I'm a bit iffy with the other two moves. I've tried Fire Blast, Fire Punch, Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Superpower, Crunch, Stone Edge and Earthquake, in whatever logical combination. Ultimately, I decided to use Fire Punch and Earthquake (two physical moves), and invest 56 EVs in Tyranitar's strong attacking side (physical) instead of his weak one (special). Lastly, I use Chople Berry to survive most Focus Blast's... could probably use a more useful item. This Tyranitar could use the most improvement and any suggestion regarding him would be appreciated.

Big Brother (Latios)
(M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

This Latios is great. Draco Meteor does a good amount to anything that doesn't resist it, and Thunderbolt/Surf provides great coverage. Psyshock is there mainly for Blissey's/Chansey's who think they can switch in and cripple this Latios. Psyshock also does around 65%-69% against the standard Conkeldurr with one bulk up (note - Psyshock uses Latios' special attack vs. the opponent's physical defense and bulk up raises attack and defense). This Latios is really a "hit and run" Pokémon. Come in, cause as much damage as possible and run/switch out. If someone decides to use a Scizor/Tyranitar and Pursuit my Latias so it faints, it's usually a free substitute set up for my Magnezone or Landorus-T (depending on who's using Pursuit on Latios), so there's a good combination I like to use. I've messed around with Life Orb and Expert Belt, but ultimately decided to go with Life Orb. Sure Expert Belt can disguise a choice set and there's no HP lost after an attack, but after some testing, 1.3x all the time > 1.2x only when using super effective move. Furthermore, the 1.3x boost to Draco Meteor against every non-Dragon typed Pokémon comes in handy. I'm willing to change items if someone could provide a reasonable explanation for why I should. The EVs are really self explanatory. This Latios is a "hit and run" Pok
émon, so no need to make it bulky. Like previously mentioned, Latios' main purpose on this team is to come in, wreck as many Pokémons as he can, and run (if the opponent chooses to Pursuit, I can usually get a free substitute up for another Pokémon).

Smoke and Mirrors (Magnezone)
(N/A) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Special Attack / 220 Speed
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Flash Cannon

I love Magnet Pull. Love it. This Magnezone is essential to my team. Not only does it take out most OU steel Pokémon (with the exception of Heatran), it's my only counter to a SD Scizor sweep. I specifically put Timid and 220 speed EVs for 231 speed in order to outspeed any Adamant Scizor with max speed (230). Substitute is just great, specifically against Ferrothorn's. Some specially defensive based Ferrothorn's only take about 23%-35% from HP Fire and could proceed to leech seed/thunder wave stall me (it's very frustrating when a trapped Ferrothorn beats a Magnezone, to say the least). With substitute blocking these two moves, Ferrothorn's are defenseless with their not very effective Power Whip's and most of the time, Magnezone is in a sub advantage against the opponent's next Pokémon after it finishes off Ferrothorn. Also, like previously mentioned, if a Scizor decide to come in on my Latios and Pursuit it while I try to switch out to Landorus, I can just go to Magnezone after my Latios fainted and proceed to set up a sub and HP Fire, again giving me a sub advantage against the opponent's next Pokémon (assuming the Scizor has a choice band like most do, and even if it doesn't and decides to Superpower my Magnezone, it'll only lose 25% HP from substitute and proceed to HP Fire it. Again, the Timid 220 Speed EVs and 231 Speed comes in handy since I'll always be able to substitute first before taking the Superpower if it isn't choice and then HP Fire it). I have yet to see a Scizor fake choice and U-Turn out after I substitute. It's always Superpower Lastly (with substitute), I always get a free substitute set up against Forretress who Volt Switches out, again giving me a advantage against the opponent's next Pokémon. I chose HP Fire over HP Ice to 1HKO the standard Scizor who hasn't U-turned out yet. Like previously mentioned, SD Scizor poses a great threat to my team (1 SD BP can do over 35% to my Landorus). Once it gets 2 SD, it can probably sweep my team, so having a Magnezone that totally resists BP and can trap and HP Fire 1HKO it helps prevent a sweep. I'll just to note, this Magnezone hates Jirachi. This Magnezone has been hax out by a Thunder/Iron Head Jirachi way too many times. Air Balloon is there so I can switch in on scarf Earthquake and Substitute, or switch in on a Earthquake and substitute. People sometimes ignore the "Magnezone is floating on a Air Balloon!" message or something. Beats me on why they don't see the thing in bold. Anyways, I've already explain the 220 Speed EVs. The 252 special attack is to give this Magnezone as much power as possible and 36 HP EVs is just a filler. To sum it all up, Magnezone's main purpose on this team is to take out Skarm/Forretress/Ferrothorn/Jirachi with Magnet Pull and prevent a SD Scizor sweep.

Parasite (Scizor)
(M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Attack / 200 Special Defense
- Sword Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

Ahh. Good old Scizor. I've been using these EVs since D/P/PT, as I was never fond with the standard CB Scizor and never believed in investing 252 Speed EVs in Scizor like the standard D/P/PT SD Scizor set used. The only difference I've made between this Scizor and my D/P/PT one is replacing X Scissor with Bug Bite (like I noted earlier, I didn't competitively battle after HG/SS got released--when Scizor originally got Bug Bite--and recently started again, and obviously, Bug Bite with technician is better than X Scissor). Background
information aside, this thing is great. I decided to give it another go in this new metagame and it still works great. I kept the special defense EVs so it could live against most special attacks and counter with strong Bug Bite. This Scizor is probably my only Reuniclus counter. Without this Scizor and his Bug Bite, this Reuniclus can proceed to sweep my team after setting up its Calm Mind. Of course, it could predict a Scizor switch in and Focus Blast it... thus explaining my 252 HP Evs and 200 special defense EVs investment. I decided to put the rest in attack for obvious reason. Anyways, back to Reuniclus. I could switch in and take a Focus Blast, then Bug Bite it. BP explains itself. Bug Bite and BP are both deadly with technician + Scizor's high attack + STAB. If anyone foolishly lets this Scizor set up 3 SD's and lack a Heatran and/or Magnezone, this Scizor can usually sweep. Life Orb is there for obvious reasons, so it's unnecessary for me to explain why. To sum it up, Scizor's main purpose on this team is to prevent a Reuniclus sweep, deal massive damage to most Pokémons with his Bug Bite and use technician STAB 1.3x LO BP to its fullest.

Gold Crush (Landorus-Therian)
(M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 108 HP / 220 Attack / 80 Defense / 100 Special Defense
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Intimidate is a great ability. I decided to go bulky with this Landorus and it's my main switch against the ever-so predictable Choice Band U-Turn Scizor. The EVs are odd, and really my own creation. I decided to try to make it bulky all around with 108 in HP, 80 in Defense and 100 in Special Defense. Of course, I had to give it 220 EVs in Attack to give it as much power as possible. Substitute is there for the Tyranitar's who Pursuit Latios. It's also there for predicting matters. Also, if the Tyranitar has Ice Beam and breaks my substitute, I can just Earthquake or Superpower it. Earthquake/Stone Edge/Superpower provides great coverage (certain it does neutral against everything). This Landorus is probably my only CM Jirachi counter (since Magnezone can't do much if the Jirachi has CM/Wish and Keldeo can only do so much after all the special defense boost from Calm Mind). Anyways, this Landorus can usually take a hit from Jirachi, and then counter it with Earthquake. I use Yache Berry to survive a HP Ice from Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus and proceed to Stone Edge them. Always works against Tornadus/Thunudrus. It works against other Pok
émons too like Mamoswine. In all, Landorus-T' main purpose on this team is to take hits, substitute against choice electric/ground typed moves and deal as much damage as possible.

April (Keldeo-Resolute
) (N/A) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Modest Nature (+Special Attack, -Attack)
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Surf

The MVP of the team. Most Valuable Player. This Keldeo is the best late game sweeper I've ever used in competitive battling. Once I get rid of everything that resists water, this Keldeo can come in and clean up with Hydro Pump (pun intended). Secret Sword can also slice up the competition if necessary. This team has a problem with DD Pokémons, so I have HP Ice to revenge kill them (with the exception of Gyarados, who'll be on my threat list later). Surf is really just a filler and it's just there in case I run out of Hydro Pump PP's or 80% Hydro Pump isn't necessary to clean up a team. I know I may sound stubborn by saying this (seeing that this IS a RMT), but scarf late game sweeping Keldeo is probably the only thing I don't want to change. Also, I chose Choice Scarf over Choice Specs so I can revenge kill DD Dragon Pokémons (like mentioned earlier) and outspeed the likes of Tornadus, Thundrus and Landorus. To sum it all up, Keldeo's main purpose on this team is as a late game sweeper with his/her 392 special attack and 473 speed (with scarf). The EVs is self explanatory. Again, Hydro Pump does massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and when Keldeo is in, hopefully anything that does resist it is taken out of play already. Witness Greatness.

Sorry if some of my sentences are somewhat incoherent (though, you should be able to understand most of them). I tried to be as detailed as possible and talk Pokémon terms, so I'm not exactly paying attention to proper grammar (plus, this RMT took some time, so I'll rather not re-read every sentence word for word to make proper grammar corrections). Thanks in advance for rating and I'll take any critique into consideration. I put a lot of effort into this, so hopefully I get the same effort from raters.

Credit to:

- Pokemonelite2000 for sprites
- Bulbapedia for sprites
- Marriland's Team Builder for
Weakness / Resistance Modifiers chart
- Pokemon Online Battle Simulator

My Team's Peak at #64

Weakness / Resistance Modifiers

Threat List
Gastrodon - This thing is extremely annoying. It absorbs Keldeo's Hydro Pump and can burn Tyranitar, Scizor and Landorus. Magnezone can't do much against it either. My only hope is setting up 3 SD with Scozor (+6 Attack, -3 from Burn = +3) or using my Latios. If my Latios is gone, thing thing can sweep me.

Gyarados
- DD Gyarados can sweep me if it was Ice Fang. Magnezone could sometimes live a Waterfall, but that's a risk. It could Waterfall Scizor, Landorus, Tyranitar and Magnezone, Ice Fang Latios and Earthquake Keldeo (who can't do much against it if it lives)

Venasaur - In the sun, this thing is a pain. If it has HP Fire, my only counter is switching in Tyranitar to use Sand Stream and take a sleep powder, then switch out to Latios and use Psyshock

Salamence - Scarf max speed (328) moxie can do massive damage after a couple of killings. Since it's max speed with 328, my Keldeo can't outspeed it and my only defense against this is Magnezone and Scizor (BP only does around 49%-51%)

Jirachi - Calm Mind/Wish set can probably sweep me. If it sets up on my Magnezone, I have to switch out and if he predicts Landorus and Psychics, it can proceed to sweep. I could probably get off one Bug Bite with Scizor, but this thing could be frustrating

Scizor - If my Magnezone is gone, a SD Scizor is most likely to sweep me. I can switch into Landorus, Intimidate and get off an EQ, but I my Landorus can't beat this thing 1 vs. 1 when it has a 1 SD advantage by the time my Landorus is in.

Celebi - If it has HP Fire and T-Wave, this thing can be extremely annoying. My only counter, in this case, would be Latios and he's crippled when Celebi uses T-Wave. Plus, I don't have HP Fire on Latios. I guess Tyranitar can do some damage, but if it also has Leaf Storm, my team is done.

Dragonite - If he gets two DD up, I'm probably done. This thing CAN be a threat, but usually isn't since I usually only allow it to set up one DD and then switch to scarf HP Ice Keldeo to revenge kill it

Former Team Member

Winning Behavior (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Nickname Explanations (Irrelevant to rating, but for your amusement and curiosity)
Tyranitar - Harvey Specter: My favorite character on my favorite TV show, Suits on USA Network.

Latios - Big Brother: To represent the, "Big Brother is watching over you" thing and because he's suppose to be Latias' Big Brother. Ha, I'm so clever and hilarious.

Magnezone
- Smoke and Mirrors: The name/title of the smoothing song by "Gotye." Magnezone just fits the title.

Scizor - Parasite: It has the move Bug Bite and could be annoying to Pokemon's looking to sweep

Landorus
- Gold Crush: It just sounds good.

Keldeo - April: April is my favorite name and Keldeo is my favorite fifth generation Pokemon. I'm a male, so April is not even my name. I just adore the name "April."

Cased

Banned deucer.
Hey man! I like your team, I also run Choice Scarf Keldeo :D And I'm a big John Niese fan (And yes, Miguel Batista and Parnell should drive the wrong way down a one way street as well) But I realize T-Bolt isn't too great of a move on Latios, to increase it's life in a match, Maybe replace it for Recover? But nonetheless, great team! :)

Hello,

I have a few suggestions that may help you handle your threats.
First of all, i think that a CB scizor would fit better in this team because of scouting and lureing the opponent. The life orb would fit better at Landorus-T because he already has massive attack and under a sub he will hit like a truck no matter which pokemon he is facing.
Another thing that i would suggest is Recover>psyshock on Latios because the Life orb will be wrecking you down while you already dont need Psyshock too much as you will be able to handle blissey and chancey with Scizor (Superpower).You should also put charge beam on Magnezone instead of Flash Canon because then you can even be in a position to sweep

To Summarize:
-CB Scizor
-Life orb on Landorus
-Recover>Psyshock on Latios
-Charge beam>Flash Canon on Magnezone

I'll test out CB Scizor, Life Orb on Landorus and Recover on Latios, but I prefer to keep Flash Cannon for super effective damage against Tyranitar when I'm in a substitute.

Hey April Behavior, congratulations on your #64th place team. You did a good job building it, and this team is certainly very solid, however, there are a few things I could suggest to you here.

The Problem

As I looked through each of your team members, I see what each one does to assist your overall goal, except for your Landorus set. Your overall goal is for you to have one of your more prominent sweepers (Scizor and Keldeo) to finish the game for you by sweeping. Magnezone obviously helps you with the Scizor Sweep. Latias is a great wallbreaker due to its great power and diversity. Finally, Tyranitar serves to prevent sun teams from doing undue damage to both Scizor's and Keldeo's sweep. I even understand that Scizor and Keldeo are both countered by something that the other can beat. Except for Bulky waters that try to wall Keldeo. I'm sure that Landorus-T is not being used to its greatest potential on this team, and I"m sure that another pokemon can do its job just as well.

My Solution

I would recommend that you replace your Landorus-T with a Celebi. Now, you might be concerned about Celebi's ability to do two important things: Check threats, and contribute to the team. It does both, much better than Thundurus-T, which I'll explain later. I suggest that you use this Physically Defensive Celebi set.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold: 252 Hp / 220 Def / 36 Spe
~Recover
~Leech Seed
~Giga Drain
~Hidden Power Fire

What you gain:

In terms of checking threats, this Celebi set allows you to act as a solid counter to many threats on your threatlist. It defeats Gyarados and Gastrodon, and acts as a solid check to Venusaur. Additionally, Celebi adds to the team by acting as a solid counter to all of the water types that plague Keldeo's sweep. While Landorus-T was walled by all of the threats, Celebi instead beats them. This obviously will give Keldeo a much better chance of a successful sweep. This Celebi will have much better physical bulkiness than the landorus-T set you had, and Celebi may also check some special attackers as well, but this requires a bit more finesse. One could use this to wall some chioced Lati@s sets, assuming you don't run into a dragon type move. Celebi will act to attract pokemon like Heatran, which becomes a good opportunity for Keldeo to switchin late game. Celebi also makes a decent core with Tyranitar and Magnezone, as Celebi and Tyranitar help to draw out the steels that Magnezone is famous for beating. Additionally, Without leftovers, Landorus-T would get weakened down very quickly, especially with use of Substitute.

What you lose

The first thing that you will find that you lose in terms of this switch is flat out attacking power. there is no denying that Landorus-T is a better pokemon for picking off weakened pokemon. Additionally, Scizor and Tyranitar become a little more of a threat for you. however, with smart play you can trap Scizor and kill it, and Scizor can be used to defeat Tyranitar, so there is no large loss. Finally, Volt Turning becomes more of an effective strategy now that you have no ground resistance.

I like the team, April Behavior, and I hope that you are able to implement my suggested change and have success with it.

^ Venusaur owns that Celebi after 1 Growth in sun. HP Fire to the brain of the pixie. I often use sun teams often and the answer to your question is that Chlorophyll has grass Pokemon as its users and can easily be countered easily by almost any team. Swift Swim users are insane things like Kingdra and Shell Smash Omastar.

I suggest you adding Recover to Latios. And even maybe even Ice Beam.

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey! Nice team, April Behavior! I'd go with a Timid Nature on Keldeo to outspeed stuff like Scarf MoxieMence and Scarf Landorus, as well as being able to force a speedtie with Scarf Terrakion and Scarf Infernape. Another change I would recommend is Metal Coat over Life Orb on Scizor; it bluffs the choice item, and allows you to OHKO Terrakion 100% of the time with Bullet Punch. I'm seconding Lavos Spawn's suggestion of using Recover on Latios over Thunderbolt; it prevents Sand from wearing it down. I don't have anything to add - cool team, and good luck!

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey! This is a pretty solid team and I have some suggestions to improve on your weaknesses.

For starters, Gastrodon and Gyrados are pretty solid threats. LO Starmie also can hit your team very hard. To fix this, I suggest tweaking the Latios set for the first new addition. Changing to Recover over Thunderbolt would be the best to help keep it alive much longer, as Thunderbolt in general isn't very helpful. To solve the problem of those 3, I can suggest Scarf Rotom-W. This beats Gyarados, LO Mie, And revenges DDNite. You can also Trick incoming Gastrodon. If you want to keep Keldeo, then use a Timid Nature over Modest. This way to always outrun Salamence and can also outurn Modest Venusaur. I can not completly fix the problem without disrupting the teams overall synergy, although if you do choose Rotom-W, you can have the option of using Celebi over Magnezone, as now you can beat SD Scizor, Skarmory, and Forretress. Finally, I suggest usingRock Slide on Ttar to overcome Tornadus, Thunderus, and Volc much easier.

In recap :
- Recover > Thunderbolt
- Option of Scarf Rotom-W
- Timid > Modest on Keldeo if you want to keep it
- If you choose Scarf Rotom-W, you can choose to use Celebi over Magnezone
- Rock Slide over EQ

Solid team and good luck!

Not much to say the team is solid and just think HP Ghost is an option in place of Ice HP so you have a response against Jellicent, I think much better than Fire Blast Fire Punch since it has more power in addition to getting to a large damage to Skarmory thing does Fire Punch, 252 HP/64 Sp.Atk/192 Sp.Def with these evs you would OHKO on Skarmory with Full HP and Def Fire Blast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)