Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

What types have a slower/bulkier play style? I’ve been playing Poison and Normal and I’ve really enjoyed those and I was wondering what other types do this well.
Water does bulky balance best of all types imo, although Steel also does balance really well with the core of Corviknight, Heatran and Gholdengo essentially blanking all of Steel’s weaknesses between them. While it usually runs more offensive styles, Dark is capable too with Ting Lu, Kingambit and one of the Dark / Poisons

How would you change this team to not get walled by Water Absorb Clodsire? I've lost the Ground matchup a couple times because I can't touch it. As it stands, my options are Banded Ceaseless Edge, and Tricking a scarf on to it.

https://pokepast.es/991a876ed41b540d

Sub+NP Rotom rolls it, but that set gets completely blanked by Ting Lu and Iron Treads, which seem omnipresent in the the three types they cover. The best option may be to run setup RotomW with Hydro Pump instead of Discharge, but Discharge seems like the main reason that set is good in the first place (also I hate clicking Hydro Pump, fraudulent ass move). Specs Greninja could be an option too, 2HKOs with Ice Beam, but WW is tough to part with.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
How would you change this team to not get walled by Water Absorb Clodsire? I've lost the Ground matchup a couple times because I can't touch it. As it stands, my options are Banded Ceaseless Edge, and Tricking a scarf on to it.

https://pokepast.es/991a876ed41b540d

Sub+NP Rotom rolls it, but that set gets completely blanked by Ting Lu and Iron Treads, which seem omnipresent in the the three types they cover. The best option may be to run setup RotomW with Hydro Pump instead of Discharge, but Discharge seems like the main reason that set is good in the first place (also I hate clicking Hydro Pump, fraudulent ass move). Specs Greninja could be an option too, 2HKOs with Ice Beam, but WW is tough to part with.
The best advice I can give you is try to predict when it will switch in. Tricking a Choice Scarf onto it is likely going to reduce its threat level significantly, as well as Hisuian Samurott's Ceaseless Edge doing tons to it.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
is there a reason why barraskewda is better than floatzel in rain teams?
Barra's faster in and out of rain, notably being able to outspeed and take a bite out of Flutter Mane and Spectrier, doesn't get worn down with Wave Crash (and Float can't 2HKO "water resists" like Toxapex anyways, while Barra can gamble and hit it with Psychic Fangs), and access to Close combat makes it better than the sea otter.

I hope this helps :blobnom:

Dead by Daylight

is there a reason why barraskewda is better than floatzel in rain teams?
Neko already basically answered it, but I'll give my advice. The reason Floatzel was considered better than Barraskewda in OU was because it could Tera Water to 2HKO supposed checks with Wave Crash. However, in a tera-banned format, Barraskewda has far more coverage, being able to hit Fighting-types and Toxapex with Psychic Fangs, Psychic- and Ghost-types with Crunch, and of course Liquidation in rain. Neko already talked about the importance of Barraskewda's extra speed, so I won't belabor that point. All in all, Floatzel's niche is its raw power, which just doesn't cut it against Barraskewda's coverage and Speed.

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
Expanding on what Neko said.
Barra's 136 is huge as it allows Jolly Barras outside of rain to delete non scarfed Chien-paos (Which is basically all Dark Paos) with a Closecombat and FlutterManes with Liquidations which is huge. While Floatzel's 115 is solid, it isn't enough to get the job done and underspeeds several key threats like Specs Iron Valiant/Greninja, Boots Cinderace/Meow and Spectrier.
And has mentioned before, Barra has more tools, Psyfangs deletes Water resists like Toxapex and Absorb Clodsire, CC nukes darks, Crunch cripples ghosts and Psychics. Sure it wouldn't mind Ice spinner to eradicate Dragon and Flying teams which is the biggest tool Floatzel has over it, but it still hits hard into them and you've got 5 other team members anyway.

Bka Onon

I see Fire.
is a Pre-Contributor
What’s a good set for Mew?
hii, mew can be used a few different ways, although i would say its not the best choice around these days
Mew @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Body Press

this set capitalizes on screens and being able to get up more value in the late game overtime
Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Flare Blitz / Stone Edge

Standard DD set tbh, could use colbur here too if u want
Mew @ Red Card / Focus Sash / Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Close Combat

roostless lead is inferior to azelf and uxie but its still ok enough since it has both hazards, u can change cc to fire blast and have spa evs instead of u want
Mew @ Lum Berry / Kasib Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunderbolt / Aura Sphere / Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

inferior to other spatkers but its not whole-ly bad due to the coverage options it has, i only mentioned some but you can go ham tbh

Does anyone have any MPL replays of Fighting teams? More specifically I'm looking for matches where it faces the more common types like Steel, Dark, Fairy, Dragon etc.

Dead by Daylight

Does anyone have any MPL replays of Fighting teams? More specifically I'm looking for matches where it faces the more common types like Steel, Dark, Fairy, Dragon etc.
Here's the Fighting replays I could find:

Week 1
[GG] Chaitanya vs Ewin [DD] [Fighting vs Dark]
[GG] Sae vs maroon [DD] [Fighting vs Fighting]

Week 2
[LL] Kev vs Starfox. [GG] [Fighting vs Fighting]
[TT] rs vs lax [FF] [Fighting vs Flying]

Week 3

[DD] crashy vs Xiri [LL] [Fighting vs Dark]
[GG] Sae vs cpt.kraken [TT] [Fighting vs Dark]

[FF] Meta vs Cell [HH] [Water vs Fighting]

Week 4
[WW] Shaneghoul vs Swiffix [FF] [Poison vs Fighting]

Week 5
no Fighting teams

Week 6
[WW] TheWyvernKing vs maroon [DD] [Bug vs Fighting]
[WW] Leafium Z vs crashy [DD] [Ground vs Fighting]
[FF] Bka Onon vs pas_touchao [GG] [Fairy vs Fighting]

Week 7
[GG] pas_touchao vs Toadow [MM] [Fighting vs Flying]

[DD] Dieu Amphibien vs FatFighter2 [FF] [Fighting vs Normal]
[TT] Splash vs Vodoom [HH] [Fighting vs Steel]
[DD] crashy vs Azick [FF] [Fighting vs Flying]

Semifinals

no Fighting teams

Finals
[WW] TheWyvernKing vs Vodoom [HH] [Bug vs Fighting]

(if the matchup is bolded, it's an important type in the metagame)

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Did Electric teams get any meaningful buffs from the DLC?
Vikavolt with webs/bolt ball coverage and Alolan Golem for trapping stuff if you dont like Sandy Shocks (Socks better for Hazards)

Arguably Elec is at its worst rn, especially due to Mamoswine, Gliscor, Ogrepons, and Grass, other types getting buffs (even Normal is sort of workable...), and Ice being decently explored. They also dont have an Urshifu, Flutter Mane, and Chien-Pao swap-in nor a Bax check, and gets rolled by ID BP anything unless they run ID (Iron Hands) themselves. Terrain with Alolan Raichu might be worth looking at for the ID BP problem though. It'll redeem itself when they get Tapu Koko, surely....

I hope this answers your question :blobnom:

Last edited:
Is Alolatails viable on Fairy? That type seems to have made Screens HO its thing this gen, and both screens in one on top of a soft Water check seems promising on paper?

Dead by Daylight

Is Alolatails viable on Fairy? That type seems to have made Screens HO its thing this gen, and both screens in one on top of a soft Water check seems promising on paper?
I would think AlolaTales is viable, although giving up Klefki’s Spikes, Stealth Rock neutrality, and Prankster is dubious. The Stealth Rock weakness is also really bad, considering Fairy has no reliable hazard removal and you want your screens setter to come in multiple times. It could be seen, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Last edited:

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
It's definitely "viable" on paper, but I struggle to think of a team comp where you'd actually want to use it. The issue with Atales on Fairy is that nothing on Fairy benefits from snow directly unless you're removing another weather, it has basically no defensive utility on Fairy beyond an Ice resist, and it's actually not a great Water answer because it doesn't resist the type and gets walled by Empoleon. As DBD said, it also faces stiff competition from Klefki who has far more apparent utility due to its key defensive niches and access to Spikes. Atales also actively hinders you in the Ice MU by buffing the opposing team (although it can serve as a Baxcalibur check). I think the main benefits Atales brings to Fairy is being a screens setter that can easily remove Quagsire to enable Azumarill sweeps and can also Encore setup sweepers, but it seems to have very limited utility outside of this and that alone to me isn't enough of a draw to use it. Overall, my initial impression of Atales on Fairy is that it feels like one of those D rank mons who is technically usable but is unlikely to see any major success in serious play.

Last edited:

Dead by Daylight

Did the DLC bring any changes to the optimal formula for a bug team? Do we run sticky webs now or is it still Volc, Scizor, Forretress, Kleavor and filler?
Vikavolt and webs is interesting on Bug as a whole, and it’ll probably fit in over Lokix or Frosmoth (EDIT: definitely over Forretress), but I don’t see it defining Bug in any way.

Last edited:

Neko

How good are the Lousy Three (dogi, munki, fez) in the meta right now?
:okidogi: Is currently not too hot in Poison as meta prefers fast revenge killer (which sneasler does). BU Set still good, though that means you'll use both of them. On Fighting it can feasibly run an AV set to take a laughable amount of damage from Moonblast (though it'll lose to Hatterene if its under screens), and spread Knock and Poison because Toxic chain good. Also frees up Iron Hands to use the SD set if wanted

:munkidori: Bad on Poison as its outclassed by Gengar due to speedtier/coverage. Psychic you can use a scarf set with U-turn to possibly land a Poison into something like AV Hands, Sableye, or whichever wall that isnt Muk-Alola or Clodsire, or go Sub NP to annoy water and poison itself. It's strong enough to bust through unaware Quagsire btw.

:fezandipiti: Bad on Poison because of Galarian Weezing's existence, on Fairy it does remove Tspikes for you, but doesnt really do much. Beat Up set is weird since you do the same thing with Toxic, and you have Gunk Shot/Poison Tail for the magic bouncers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)