Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Ethereal Sword

Fezandipiti
is a Tiering Contributor
How good are the Lousy Three (dogi, munki, fez) in the meta right now?
:fezandipiti: :fezandipiti: :fezandipiti:

Fezandipiti is an extremely underrated pick on Fairy (note that the majority of players will not share my opinion so be warned). It is the only Loyal Three member who can abuse Beat Up with Toxic Chain, and since Fairy teams generally tend to have more offensive Pokemon (and thus higher Atk stats, though Flutter Mane, ironically, is an exception), Beat Up itself becomes a solid attack that can severely punish Pokemon that are weak to it or have low defense. On my own Fairy team, for instance, a full power Beat Up is an 81 base power attack that has an 88% chance to inflict Toxic. (This is why arguments that "Fez should just run Toxic instead" are incomplete - the 80 base power from the attack itself is not negligible.)

[if you want to calculate Beat Up power for your own team, each hit of Beat Up has a base power of 5+(Base Atk)/10 for the user and all other party members that are not fainted nor statused]

Moreover, its special bulk is excellent, it has reliable recovery, and it has access to U-Turn. This makes it a valuable pivot on the offensive teams that Fairy routinely runs. Removing TSpikes is just the cherry on top. I've used Fezandipiti since DLC dropped and it rarely disappoints. (Its worst matchups are Ground, Steel, and Poison, in some order.)

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
Is Scarf Munkidori any good on Psychic? If so what purpose does it solve? I saw it on a monotype analysis and I just have to know!
Hello I was the person who submitted the scarf munki set

1697184435507.png

Munkidori (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Toxic Chain
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave / Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
- U-turn / Parting Shot

First the basics. Munkidori's typing of Poison/Psychic is beneficial for Psychic teams since along with Galarian Slowking you can melt TSpikes. Aside from this, Scarf Munki has the fastest Speed tier in Psychic when Scarf, as Espathra has to wait two turns to outspeed Scarf Munki, so it can serve as a fast sweeper on Psychic teams. Aside from this, Munki's coverage in Shadow Ball and Focus Blast allows it to threaten the weakened threats to Psychic teams like Specs Mane, Dragapult, and non-specially defensive Heatran. It's also a great pivot thanks to either U-turn or Parting Shot. Hence, Scarf Munki is good

Hello I was the person who submitted the scarf munki set

View attachment 561113
Munkidori (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Toxic Chain
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave / Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
- U-turn / Parting Shot

First the basics. Munkidori's typing of Poison/Psychic is beneficial for Psychic teams since along with Galarian Slowking you can melt TSpikes. Aside from this, Scarf Munki has the fastest Speed tier in Psychic when Scarf, as Espathra has to wait two turns to outspeed Scarf Munki, so it can serve as a fast sweeper on Psychic teams. Aside from this, Munki's coverage in Shadow Ball and Focus Blast allows it to threaten the weakened threats to Psychic teams like Specs Mane, Dragapult, and non-specially defensive Heatran. It's also a great pivot thanks to either U-turn or Parting Shot. Hence, Scarf Munki is good
Ok, makes sense. Might try it out myself when building Psychic teams! Thanks!

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
What is a Ground team’s best counter for Sinistcha, besides Mamoswine?
Specially defensive Swords Dance Gliscor is immune to burn once poisoned and can win the 1v1. Wallbreaker Ursaluna-B can take a Matcha Gotcha and has a high chance of OHKO'ing with Blood Moon if using Wise Glasses. Calm Mind Ursaluna-B should also be able to tank a Matcha Gotcha and OHKO Sinistcha if it got a Calm Mind boost prior to Sinistcha entering the field.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
What is a Flying team’s best counter for Shell Smash Cloyster w/ Rock Blast?
Corviknight should be able to tank a hit to finish it off.

Some Cloysters run +atk though, making scarfers like Enamorus and Zapdos-G able to revenge-kill it (You cant if its +Spe, since it outspeeds you. Galarian Zapdos survives a +2 Adamant Ice Shard too.). At the worst case scenario, Choice Band Dragonite outpriorities and Extreme Speed picks it off.

However, you can stop Cloy from setting up by forcing damage on it. Notably, its frail enough that unresisted special hits from Enam, Thund-T, and Zapdos (I mean its stab...) will just kill it. Entry Hazards from Lando/Gliscor also help, though its understandable if you cant in the Ice matchup.

I hope this helps :blobnom:

Is Slither Wing just the better First Impression user for bug teams over Lokix? I look at most of the bug teams that are ran in mono leagues and tournaments and they usually have Slither Wing over Lokix. Is Lokix just not used on serious bug teams or are they interchangeable?

Thanks.

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Is Slither Wing just the better First Impression user for bug teams over Lokix? I look at most of the bug teams that are ran in mono leagues and tournaments and they usually have Slither Wing over Lokix. Is Lokix just not used on serious bug teams or are they interchangeable?

Thanks.
Slither Wing doubles as a Kingambit check due to it resisting sucker punch, while Lokix is great for bonking stinky Ghosts (beating Skeledirge is huge). They have different roles, and its likely that even if they dont use Slither there's some form of Bug/Fighting still somewhere.

Slither Wing just has slightly better role compression because it happened to have First Impression too, while Lokix can be droppable since most ghosts have problems with Kleavor or Scizor (which will be in your team). You can use both of them but you'd have to forgo Webs or Frosmoth, which is sad....

I hope this answers your question...maybe

Slither Wing doubles as a Kingambit check due to it resisting sucker punch, while Lokix is great for bonking stinky Ghosts (beating Skeledirge is huge). They have different roles, and its likely that even if they dont use Slither there's some form of Bug/Fighting still somewhere.

Slither Wing just has slightly better role compression because it happened to have First Impression too, while Lokix can be droppable since most ghosts have problems with Kleavor or Scizor (which will be in your team). You can use both of them but you'd have to forgo Webs or Frosmoth, which is sad....

I hope this answers your question...maybe
I appreciate the response. I'm just trying to make the best bug team possible and always had Lokix, but it looks like players much better than me always use Slither Wing so maybe I need to adjust. All your points make sense. Is Frosmoth a mainstay now? I tried webs for a bit but had much worse results. I'm just bad . Thanks tho!

Neko

I appreciate the response. I'm just trying to make the best bug team possible and always had Lokix, but it looks like players much better than me always use Slither Wing so maybe I need to adjust. All your points make sense. Is Frosmoth a mainstay now? I tried webs for a bit but had much worse results. I'm just bad . Thanks tho!
Frosmoth isnt a mainstay but its decent enough to punch holes on matchups like Ground and Flying. Its main feat is beating Gliscor, which is limited on the type. A bug team is usually like:
1-3: Volcarona/Scizor/Kleavor (Mainstays)
4: Ribombee/Forretress/Vikavolt (entry hazard support in Webs or entry hazard removal + Pivoting)
5: Slither Wing or Heracross
6: literally anything, including the mons you didnt pick in 4 and 5. Can also be Lokix or Frosmoth.

I hope this helps :blobnom:

I wonder if its just the competition from Hearthflame for why Ogerpon Wellspring and Cornerstore aren't too good on mono-Grass. Was thinking maybe the niche use cases they have against say Flying or Fire or w/e would make them more than D-rank. Guess not?

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
I wonder if its just the competition from Hearthflame for why Ogerpon Wellspring and Cornerstore aren't too good on mono-Grass. Was thinking maybe the niche use cases they have against say Flying or Fire or w/e would make them more than D-rank. Guess not?
Personally I don't agree with putting Wellspring and Cornerstone as far down as D rank, I think they should both probably be at least C as they do have their uses (Wellspring hard countering Water and Ground and being superior to Hearthflame against Fire, Cornerstone being useful in the Flying and Fire MUs). This being said generally Hearthflame is the superior choice due to its Fire STAB naturally synergizing better with Grass (the number of mons in the meta that resist both is very small) and its ability to easily tear through Steel, Poison, Bug, and Flying, which are problematic MUs for Grass otherwise. Defensively Ogerpon-H also provides a Fire neutrality and burn immunity to Grass teams which is very valuable.

Last edited:

Neko

why is urshifu s banned but not urshifu r?
Urshifu-R gets walled more, notably by Toxapex, Water Absorb Clod (unless its running Ice Spinner), and Water Absorb Pokemon in general. It also doesnt have a base 70 Priority move (Aqua Jet doesnt hurt too much).

While it can be argued that under rain its a monster (it is, esp if Banded), Water has a hard time slotting him in due to the Rapid Spin user (:quaquaval:) being a Fighting-type too (and Rain isnt too hot rn because it lacks removal, and has...issues since Barra is suddenly not that strong and the team itself is too constrained). On the other hand, Fighting has Hisuian Lilli who beats Ground up better, and struggles all around with pex anyway...

Technically you can run coverage on Fu like Ice Spinner and Zen, but then you lose out on priority, which is important since its speedtier is not that good. This is also a main difference between it and Darkfu, who only needs Sucker Wicked and CC to threaten almost everyone.

I hope this answers your question :blobnom:

Last edited:

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
is a Contributor to Smogon
why is urshifu s banned but not urshifu r?
A lot more types generally have an answer into Urshifu-R than they did into Urshifu-S.

My personal example would be Poison.
Rapid-Strike has a fair few checks on Poison, Amoonguss and Toxapex just completely sit on it, even if its gets a +2 Zen Headbutt which is a massive commitment (Giving up either Aqua Jet or Close Combat makes it a lot worse). Other common Pokemon like Galarian Weezing, Iron Moth (lives an Aqua jet from full), and Gengar can all threaten it out with an OKHO from coverage or the threat of Burn.

Single Strike only had Galarian Weezing, Okidogi and Sneasler to really check it. And while on Paper these are good, they all have to worry about other threats and it getting a single SD. Sneasler for example dies to a +2 Sucker punch and also had to remain Healthy to deal with Kingambit. Okidogi was in a similar boat, it could not handle +2 Wicked Blows as that would beat it out its Drain Punches or leave it so low that Kingambit could effortlessly pick it off. Both of these threats also have to dance around Psychic-type coverage from stuff like Greninja and Iron Valiant. This leaves Galarain Weezing which is still has to dance around common Steel coverage from the likes of Iron Hands, Zamazenta or Ting-Lu, getting chipped down by either Sneasler or Chien-Pao getting lucky and getting sleep/para or flinching or when it was in position, it could miss its STAB Fairy-type attack. And all this implies it remained above 50%, because once it drops below 50%, +2 Wicked Blow is an OKHO.

What's considered the better spread in the mono game: Bulky Volcarona or Max SpAtk/Max Speed?

I use a bunch of different variants outside of monotype and prefer the bulky set usually, but part of me thinks it's not as reliable in the mono game.

What do y'all think?

What's considered the better spread in the mono game: Bulky Volcarona or Max SpAtk/Max Speed?

I use a bunch of different variants outside of monotype and prefer the bulky set usually, but part of me thinks it's not as reliable in the mono game.

What do y'all think?
On Bug I'd say you're better with bulky - Bug teams don't have too many bulky mons, and having something around that can take a few hits is always nice. Fire on the other hand, I would recommend 252/252 - you have Torkoal, Skeledirge, Heatran and Volcanion to help with bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)