Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

RoyalReloaded

!
is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
What happened to the workshop resource? Will it return? It was a really nice addition.
Hey, we shut the workshop down at the launch of dlc 2 so that we could wait for the meta to settle a bit before building teams. I plan to reopen the workshop once there is a VR (should be soonish I think) so that people know what is good and what they can request teams built around

Hey, we shut the workshop down at the launch of dlc 2 so that we could wait for the meta to settle a bit before building teams. I plan to reopen the workshop once there is a VR (should be soonish I think) so that people know what is good and what they can request teams built around
Thanks for the answer! I really enjoyed reading and scrolling through all the innovative teams.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
How good is Hydrapple in this meta?
Its ok on dragon, securing the water matchup without doubling on ice/dragons. Also has the ability to threaten Ursa-BM readily without being pinished much by quag/clod. It also is a ground resist meaning Scarf Exca / Ground moves cant plow through dragon as readily, but keep in mind it cant swap in to Lando because Sludge Wave. (NP/Sub/Grass Move/Earth Power)

On grass, its great for not keeling over to Gouging fire (flare blitz doesnt do much while DM almost kills/kills after +1 FB recoil), and its a decent wallbreaker thats a little slow (totally not the worst thing in the world considering Pon, H.Lili, Meow as team mates). Grass teams are more likely to have it than Dragon teams (NP/Sub/Fickle or Draco Meteor/Earthpower).

The spread is usually max HP/Def/some Speed with a +Def or +SpA nature. Regenerator and Heavy Duty Boots are nice so that it doesnt get crippled by hazards which both types find hard to keep off.

I hope this helps :blobnom:

Last edited:
Is there a recent list of which types are better or worse for battling as a whole, especially for someone who has been out of the competitive scene for a while?

I seem to recall Water, Flying, and Steel being good, while needing to avoid using Ice, Rock, and Grass.

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
Monotype Leader
Is there a recent list of which types are better or worse for battling as a whole, especially for someone who has been out of the competitive scene for a while?

I seem to recall Water, Flying, and Steel being good, while needing to avoid using Ice, Rock, and Grass.
There's no official type VR. However, you can check out posts starting here in the metagame discussion thread, where some people discussed where they would personally rank types after our recent team tournament.

There's no official type VR. However, you can check out posts starting here in the metagame discussion thread, where some people discussed where they would personally rank types after our recent team tournament.
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Love your avatar by the way!

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
is Scarf or Band Arcanine-Hisui better on SUn FIre?
Both have their uses but Scarf is a bit nicer since you get the means to murder opposing Gouger. Band H.Arca is cool for dealing heavy damage to walls, but considering Gouger under sun already does that, yea....

Extremespeed is cool but you have Ceruledge and Cinderace for priority and most targets you'd want to pick out dont take much damage (Gouger) or are immune to it (Flutter Mane)

boomp

Never Give Up
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Before brackets go up for tours, why couldn't players sign up for the type they're going to play for the whole tournament and make an obvious bracket?
I dont understand what you mean by this but, players are not bound to play one type the whole tour, you are free to use whatever type you want and since its a bo3 you are allowed to change up your teams in the bo3. And making 'obvious' brackets base on the types people use is just against the rules/cheating

Hey! Referring to this team!
Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- U-turn
- Phantom Force
- Psychic Fangs

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Mist Ball
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Archaludon @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock

Baxcalibur @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Glaive Rush

Goodra-Hisui @ Leftovers
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Protect

Does running both latias, and latios work here? Possibly using goodra incorrectly but I don't get much use from it. I usually win without it. I had an idea to add latios for a more offensive approach. Thoughts? :)

Hey! Referring to this team!
Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- U-turn
- Phantom Force
- Psychic Fangs

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Mist Ball
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Archaludon @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock

Baxcalibur @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Glaive Rush

Goodra-Hisui @ Leftovers
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Protect

Does running both latias, and latios work here? Possibly using goodra incorrectly but I don't get much use from it. I usually win without it. I had an idea to add latios for a more offensive approach. Thoughts? :)
to keep things simple, hoodra's role on that team is a specially defensive wall, to replace it with latios, you are losing that in place for another wallbreaker. you already have 2 wallbreakers on that team in baxcalibur and band dragapult. ultimately the choice is yours but dragon's current standing appreciates hoodra's spdef, as it can be rejuvenated by latias' healing wish at any time. there's more i can address, but considering the name of this thread, i just wanted to give the most straight forward answer, hope i helped!

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
In what situation would Great Tusk outspeed a Zapdos when both are max speed and Zapdos is faster? Great Tusk never rapid spinned, was not holding Booster energy or scarf, and yet it outspeeds max speed Zapdos. It doesn't make sense.

boomp

Never Give Up
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
In what situation would Great Tusk outspeed a Zapdos when both are max speed and Zapdos is faster? Great Tusk never rapid spinned, was not holding Booster energy or scarf, and yet it outspeeds max speed Zapdos. It doesn't make sense.
The zapdos was probably a modest nature so Jolly Great Tusk out sped it by a literal 1 speed difference lol

Ethereal Sword

Fezandipiti
is a Tiering Contributor
Could you drop a replay? It would be easier to figure out that way.

Here are some possibilities:
  1. Opponent's Tailwind
  2. Trick Room
  3. Zapdos is holding a Lagging Tail, Iron Ball, or Power Item
  4. Great Tusk used a move with higher priority
  5. Swamp effect is active on your side
  6. Zapdos does not have 252 Spe EVs and 31 Spe IVs
  7. One side has their Spe stat stage changed

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Could you drop a replay? It would be easier to figure out that way.

Here are some possibilities:
  1. Opponent's Tailwind
  2. Trick Room
  3. Zapdos is holding a Lagging Tail, Iron Ball, or Power Item
  4. Great Tusk used a move with higher priority
  5. Swamp effect is active on your side
  6. Zapdos does not have 252 Spe EVs and 31 Spe IVs
  7. One side has their Spe stat stage changed
Its Specs Zapdos with a timd Nature. Great Tusk used Ice Spinner. I don't have the replay right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)