Pokémon Azumarill

Azumarill.jpg

Azumarill - Water | Fairy
Base stats
100 HP | 50 Attack | 80 Defense | 60 Special Attack | 80 Special Defense | 50 Speed
Abilities
Thick Fat | Huge Power | Sap Sipper
Notable Moves:
Belly Drum
Liquidation
Play Rough
Super Power
Aqua Jet
Perish Song
Grass Knot
Brick Break
Ice Spinner

Terrestialize:
Offense Azumarill should strongly consider Water terrestialize. The 2.0x STAB Powered water moves under Belly Drum are near impossible for a mon to tank, with decent coverage in Ice Spinner to help clear water absorb/storm drain users.

For more defensive-minded Azumarill, Terrestialize will probably never be a good option. You may opt to choose Fairy to gain more damage against Roaring Moon, but such an option is dangerous vs a terrestialized Steel Roaring Moon. Steel may be an option vs Iron Head/Acrobat sets, but you'll become vulnerable to Earth Quake. In most cases, Azumarill's base types are better defensively.

Pros:

• With Belly Drum up, almost nothing can survive an Azumarill attack under Terrestialize Water. With the inclusion of Ice Spinner, Quagsire, Gastrodon and Clodsire cannot simply wall a set with a water immunity.
  • There is an abundance of dark pokemon that all seem pretty good. Strong attackers like Chien Pao and Chi Yu has both stabs resisted by Azumarill. Roaring Moon has no super effective moves against Azumarill. The typing is doing a lot of heavy lifting to alllow your slower speed to not force Aqua Jet all the time.
  • Shed Tail is making Azumarill safe to switch in with a Substitute, making it harder to cause Belly Drum to fail.
  • Defensive Azumarill's access to Sap Sipper allows it to take on Wo-Chien, Meowscarda, Brute Bonnette, Breloom on top of the the inherent typing helping check Roaring Moon, Slither Wing, and Annihilape. Specifically, Water Fairy makes Iron Head Roaring Moon still not have a super effective move to strike against the threat of a Play Rough.
Cons:

• Belly Drum is still a risky move, without the protection of a substitute you can easily be brought low enough where you're forced to Aqua Jet after you sacrifice your health due to the low speed.
  • A lot of power is coming from Terrestialize. Without Terrestialize Water, fast grasses like Breloom and Meowscarada can survive an Aqua Jet even at +6 and KO you back. So you really cannot plan to Terrestialize elsewhere or you'll be on a much more limited pokemon.
  • Defensive Azumarill has no access to reliable recovery and its special bulk is limited. This forces you into strange sets like rest or needing a dedicated Wish Passer. As Wish is a more limited move this generation, this becomes a very difficult thing teambuild for blindly.
  • A lot of the Pokemon who have typings you'd wall (Roaring Moon) can Terrestialize into a neutral move (Flying, Steel) and cause you to struggle to handle them or straight up lose because of it.
  • Without Huge Power, your attack is pretty horrible and basically reserved for threatening darks.

Sets:
This set I got from Yahooboo posting in Metagame discussion. I've posted his calcs below the spread.

Azumarill @ Mystic Water / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Ice Spinner

Palafin-Hero:
+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Lumineon: 260-306 (76.2 - 89.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(Jet Punch)
252 Atk Choice Band Lumineon Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 103-122 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Toxapex:
+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 288-339 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Breloom:

+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. -2 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 305-359 (116.8 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 65-77 (16.1 - 19.1%) -- 95.2% chance to 3HKO

Azumarill @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Perish Song
- Rest
- Liquidation / Brick Break

Stat Spread to Kill Roaring Moon after rocks. 100 Atk Guarantees it without Stealth Rocks. Opt for Brick Break if Grimsnarl becomes too much of an issue so you can remove screens.

Last edited:
I am surprised I don't see this Pokemon more often on the ladder. It has really good defensive typing and can check many of the scariest new threats in the game such as Roaring Moon and Chien-Pao.

With Palafin+Iron Bundle banned, Azumaril got a major boost now that 2 of its biggest checks are gone and is one of the best Physical water types out there.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry / Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Water / Fairy
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Sing

I call it "I don't want to get steamrolled by Chi-Yu Chien Pao and Baxcalibur and maybe if I do get walled I can put something to sleep." Offensive metagame with dark types that Azumarill matches up well against is good, and no Ferrothorn and a lot less Pex is also good. I think sitrus is fun, but boots gonna be better if you don't have decent removal plan. Maybe should have more defensive EVs, I don't know.

Last edited:
If you're gonna run HP investment on the BD set, its better to use 252 HP since that puts you in Sitrus Berry Range. 248 means you'll miss out on Sitrus Berry.

BD:
  • Double-Edge seems to be the best option in the 4th slot since it lets you drop both Pex and Amoonguss at +6 no Tera required.
  • Jolly worth mentioning to get the jump on neutral Azu and Kingambit
  • Sets up on half the tier behind your screens and OHKO’s the tier through opposing screens while resisting four types of priority, ridiculous.
CB:
  • Tera Electric sac’s defensive utility but is one of the only physical breakers that can consistently lure and muscle thru Donbozo:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill (Tera Electric) Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 350-414 (69.4 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery​
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill (Tera Electric) Tera Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 236-278 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery​

This thing is a stone cold threat rn especially with all the screen support in the tier, to the point that I think it’ll return to OU shortly. Premier defensive typing makes it one of the only natural checks to Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao in addition to things like Valiant, Pult and Moon. AV has some defensive utility but sorely misses Knock and gets worn down by hazards.

Feels like Gen 6, use this thing more.

Last edited:
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry / Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Water / Fairy
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Sing

I call it "I don't want to get steamrolled by Chi-Yu Chien Pao and Baxcalibur and maybe if I do get walled I can put something to sleep." Offensive metagame with dark types that Azumarill matches up well against is good, and no Ferrothorn and a lot less Pex is also good. I think sitrus is fun, but boots gonna be better if you don't have decent removal plan. Maybe should have more defensive EVs, I don't know.
I have tried this set out and unfortunately Sing is so unreliable that 90% of the time it isn't worth it. Also Assault Vest is the best item because it make its a much more reliable switch in to the fire types. Ice Spinner can also deal with Clodsire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)