SM OU Back in the game with GlisBulu

Hey Smogon fam! I haven’t battled competitively since X/Y, been lurking the forums and ladder for about 2 weeks now. Played with a few different team ideas, but this is the one I like the most. Having trouble laddering over 1300 and I’m not particularly good at threat analysis. Happy for any feedback and suggestions. Now to the team!

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

Nothing too unique here, great Rocks setter and checks a ton of ‘Mons. EV setup is a standard specially defensive spread, less 4 EVs from HP to speed for a little creep and it hits a 4x +1 HP number to maximize the utility of Substitute. Moveset also pretty standard with Plume/Earth Power for coverage, Rocks are a must, and Sub allows Tran to get Rocks up, scout, and get hits, chipping away at its own checks. I am open to input and best practices with Mr Heatran here, as I do have some trouble getting rocks up early.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom has one job here, cripple glue ‘Mons from the other team. This is a critical pivot for the team. EVs max SPA and Speed, with the Timid nature which allow Rotom to continue to outspeed checks after tricking its scarf to cripple switch-ins. He Covers a lot of weaknesses, and no one I play seems prepared when I trick off an assault vest or choice lock a glue guy. This makes elimination of annoying creatures much easier (I’m looking at you Tangs that span knock off...). As for the moveset, Hydro Pump/Volt Switch are self explanatory, Thunderbolt gives a little more juice and doesn’t force the switch. Trick is the trump card here, don’t use it too early. Spam Volt often and don’t be afraid to lose a little momentum early to ensure that trick hits its target, as it can be crippling when it hits the right target (typically the assault vest user or glue poke with lefties and no other reliable recovery)

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

Just plain fun to play and half the reason I made this team. I like the utility and have tried SD versions here, but I just can’t tell which works better. The move set allows it to lure and knock out common checks (Looking at Tang again). Usually will take out 2 of the opposing team, and helps clear Gliscor checks for a nice SD sweep.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Facade
- Earthquake

My favorite poke! I usually use him as a stall breaker, but that has seemed redundant on this particular team and I’ve had better results with using him as a pivot early and setup sweeper late. EV spread is a bulky Glis, Timid so that he hits 279 Spe and outspeeds a number of common checks. HP hits a 8x number to maximize recovery from Poison Heal. Moveset is an SD sweeper relying on Earthquake, with Facade for coverage. Roost is critical to keep Glis at high health for the sweep late.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic

This is the 6th man here. Wasn’t sure, and have moved Toxapex and a few other Waters through the slot. Moveset probably not optimized, but the Taunt/Toxic stall breaks and functions as an anti-lead. EVs are maxed out for speed, and HP for a little additional bulk (probably needs to be SPA, and dark pulse swapped for sludge bomb, testing now). Speed is nice as a secondary revenge killer, but can sometimes feel less useful than I’d like.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

She might 3 for 1 in one game, and do next to nothing in the next (might be a user issue though, only got like 150 battles in using her). A meta game defining pivot here. With Assault vest and a max investment in HP and DEF, she can take hits from just about anything barring SE attacks. Moveset is pretty standard for AV Mags, but I swapped Fleur Cannon for Aura Sphere to hit Ferro, Heatran and other Steels. I like her, but like Gengar, I wonder how well she fits the team. She might 3 for 1 in one game, and do next to nothing in the next (might be a user issue though, only got like 150 battles in using her).

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback!

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions that are at least 3-4 lines for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Unlocked!

Last edited:
If it's a stall-breaker you're looking for in the Gengar slot, consider Tapu Lele. It still has Taunt, and has the added benefit of removing Grassy Terrain so Gliscor's Earthquakes won't be weakened.

Magnezone would also be a good option to eliminate Celesteela for Gliscor, but I'm having trouble figuring out which slot it would go over. I'd say probably put it in the Magearna spot, as you already have AV Bulu as an Ash-Gren switch-in.

Hi man. I think you can do some changes to fix problems like the lack of hazard control, poor offensive power and Improvable sets/spreads.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 132 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Sub tran is not good right now. And without toxic is just useless imo. With toxic you can poison MZam/MLatis/Hydragon/Gastrodon/Garchomp/Rotom/volcarona and others checks/Counter.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

This Bulu set is definitely better than Av. With him you can break mons like clef/gliscor/ferro/... and you still walling greninjash.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 144 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

CM to get more power to break things like gliscor/gastrodon/tang/... with your zmove and tbolt to hit celesteela and pex. Finally Pain split is usefull to be anoying vs stall and fat things, making she more durable.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

TW over tbolt to get para on pex/latis/tang/zam/bulu/... and help MMedi to break.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off

With this gliscor you win hazard control and knock off user, always usefull to knock lefties. At the same time you get a p nice heatran check and status absorber.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Finally i think is better change the gengar for MMedi. Becouse MMedi is an amazing physical wallbreaker and with rotom you can get a lot of momentum, making easyer get kills with him.

Edit: Other option is run tect on tran and toxic on glisc.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/3753732577f52e83

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)