[Balanced Hackmons] Dialga [QC 3/3, GP 2/2]

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
QC: Piccolo Daimao | Uselesscrab | E4 Flint
GP: Malley | The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]
Dialga, while not as good a wallbreaker as Mega Diancie or Mega Rayquaza, has quite a few distinct properties that make it good in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. Its unique Steel / Dragon typing provides a resistance to Flying and a neutrality to Fairy, corresponding to two of the more commonly used -ate abilities in Aerilate and Pixilate. Steel / Dragon is an interesting offensive typing as well, giving it unresisted coverage with just Tinted Lens and its STAB moves, with Dragon alone being unresisted itself outside of Fairy-types. Tinted Lens allows Dialga to lure in and deal massive damage to Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash, which rely on their resistances to take hits. Its bulk is decent, and its Special Attack is quite good, but it is a bit on the slow side. Pokemon with Imposter present a problem to it, requiring a Fairy-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull and Substitute to be dealt with reliably . Overall, Dialga is a massive threat when set up and can sweep unprepared teams with ease.

[SET]
name: Doom Desire
move 1: Tail Glow
move 2: Doom Desire
move 3: Draco Meteor / Spacial Rend
move 4: King's Shield / Leech Seed / Recover
item: Adamant Orb / Safety Goggles
ability: Tinted Lens
nature: Modest
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==========

Tail Glow allows Dialga to raise its Special Attack to sky-high levels. Doom Desire allows Dialga to fire off a high-power STAB move that very few Pokemon resist due to Tinted Lens. Additionally, this move is not affected by Protect, Metal Burst, or Destiny Bond. It also creates some interesting opportunities due to its two-turn delay by forcing switches or simply KOing the opponent's Pokemon if they choose not to switch. Draco Meteor is another powerful STAB attack that works best if Dialga switches out afterwards, because then Doom Desire uses Dialga's unmodified Special Attack rather than the decreased Special Attack that results from using Draco Meteor. Spacial Rend is an alternate option over Draco Meteor with less power but a higher chance to get critical hits, which can be useful to get past Pokemon with Special Defense boosts, such as Quiver Dance sweepers. King's Shield allows Dialga to scout the foe's moveset, lower the foe's Attack, and stall out Doom Desire turns. It is mostly used to block and punish priority moves boosted by -ate abilities, such as Fake Out and Extreme Speed, and Fighting-type moves that make contact, which can do massive damage to Dialga. Leech Seed KOes Sturdy Shedinja, which is an undesirable Pokemon for Dialga to face, and provides passive healing. It can also be used to gain massive amounts of HP if an Imposter user such as Chansey switches in. Recover, or any of its clones, gives Dialga increased longevity via instant recovery, which can be more useful than the slower recovery that Leech Seed provides.

Set Details
==========

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Dialga to do as much damage as possible. Adamant Orb is run to increase this damage, boosting Dialga's STAB moves without locking it into a move or making it take recoil. 248 HP EVs limit damage taken from Curse and Spikes. The rest of the EVs are placed in Special Defense. Tinted Lens is the ability of choice, giving Dialga's STAB moves unresisted coverage. With this ability, very common Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash cannot counter Dialga. Safety Goggles is an alternate option over Adamant Orb that prevents Dialga from being put to sleep by Spore, although it loses some power in the process.

Usage Tips
==========

Doom Desire is most often the best move to use when Dialga is not immediately threatened due to its ability to ignore the effects of various moves such as Protect, Metal Burst, and Destiny Bond and potentially force a switch. It is important to use Doom Desire before Tail Glow, if you wish to use Tail Glow at all, due to Tail Glow's boosts only being factored in when the move hits. Tail Glow can be used if Dialga forces a switch after using Doom Desire to deal massive damage even to switch-ins that resist Doom Desire. Another strategy is to use Doom Desire, follow up with Draco Meteor, and then switch out; because Dialga's stat changes are reset if it switches out, Doom Desire will use Dialga's unmodified Special Attack rather than the decreased stat that results from using Draco Meteor. Use King's Shield to scout a foe's moves and potentially lower its Attack. Using Dialga's moveset strategically is key, as you can essentially pick when you want Dialga to sweep, wallbreak, or scout, depending on the scenario. Remove Pokemon with the ability Imposter before trying to sweep unless you have a full counter, in which case Imposter isn't as much of a worry. In addition, it is important to remove Sturdy Shedinja as soon as possible if Dialga does not have Leech Seed, as without it, Dialga cannot harm Shedinja.

Team Options
==========

Teammates with Mold Breaker are highly recommended for various reasons. The first is that they can provide entry hazard support even against Magic Bounce users, which KOes Sturdy Shedinja when it switches in as well as inflicting chip damage. The second is that the combination of Mold Breaker and Pursuit allows them to trap and KO Sturdy Shedinja, dissuading Shedinja from switching into Doom Desire and punishing it if it does. Lastly, Mold Breaker users cannot have their phazing moves bounced back by Magic Bounce, allowing them to shuffle foes around to take heavy hits from Doom Desire. Examples of good Pokemon to run Mold Breaker include Mega Gengar, Mega Gyarados— which has the special mention distinction of being able to run any other ability and Mega Evolve to gain Mold Breaker—, and Mega Mewtwo X. A Magnet Pull Fairy-type with Substitute can be used to counter and set up on Pokemon with Imposter that copy this set by preventing it from switching out. A Pokemon with a phazing move that can take a Draco Meteor or two from Dialga can also be used to deal with Imposter users, as forcing the Imposter Pokemon out makes the Doom Desire use the Imposter Pokemon's Special Attack rather than Dialga's, resulting in paltry amounts of damage. Another Steel-type can be used in conjunction with Dialga to better deal with Pixilate and Refrigerate Pokemon, as Dialga is neutrally affected by Fairy- and Ice-type moves. A Fur Coat Pokemon such as Mega Audino or Giratina can also be run to sponge the Ground- and Fighting-type attacks that Dialga finds undesirable to go up against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==========

There are plenty of alternate options for Dialga's fourth move. Spiky Shield can be run to block status moves, unlike King's Shield, and deal chip damage to the foe if it makes contact, as well as KO Sturdy Shedinja if it uses Endeavor. Magma Storm can be run to deal super effective damage to Steel-types and KO Sturdy Shedinja; while Doom Desire and Draco Meteor do slightly more damage to Steel-types thanks to Tinted Lens, the residual damage is always appreciated. Keep in mind that this makes Dialga harder to protect against Imposter Pokemon than it already is. Lastly, Spore can be run, as it is almost guaranteed put a foe to sleep; if you opt for this, Safety Goggles is a good item to run to prevent Magic Bounce users from putting Dialga to sleep instead.

A Choice Specs set is an option to make Doom Desire ridiculously powerful and potentially cripple walls with Trick. The setup sweeper Tinted Lens set is almost always better, however, as Doom Desire is not the best move to be locked into. A Magnet Pull set can be used to lure, trap, and KO Imposter users that would normally capitalize on a free Tail Glow. Shell Smash and Judgment can also be run on this set, as well as on the setup sweeper Tinted Lens set, to make KOing Imposter users easier.

Checks and Counters
==========

**Magnet Pull Fairy-types**: Fairy-types are immune to Dragon-type moves, and as such the only move Dialga has to hit them with is Doom Desire. Most Magnet Pull Fairy-types capitalize on this, neutering Dialga by using Substitute to block the damage caused by Doom Desire. The most prominent example of a Pokemon that utilizes this strategy is Xerneas. These are the largest threats to Dialga because they can easily fully set up on Dialga and sweep.

**Protean Mega Mewtwo**: Both Protean Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y commonly run Ground-type coverage moves to hit Steel-types super effectively. Dialga has a hard time taking hits from either as a result of this. However, neither appreciates taking a Doom Desire on the switch, especially if it is boosted by Tail Glow.

**Sturdy Shedinja**: Sturdy Shedinja walls this set if Dialga doesn't carry Leech Seed or something else that is dedicated to defeating Shedinja, and it can threaten Dialga with Endeavor. Entry hazard support and a teammate with Mold Breaker and Pursuit alleviate this to an extent.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unaware Pokemon that can reliably take Draco Meteor can switch into Dialga and phaze it. Keep in mind that they are harder to switch in if Dialga is using Doom Desire and that the Unaware Pokemon will constantly be hit by a full-powered Draco Meteor unless they are Fairy-types, as they ignore the stat drops.

**Imposter Pokemon**: Imposter Pokemon can copy this set and threaten to sweep with it. If Dialga is unboosted, this becomes far easier, as Imposter Chansey can take a few unboosted Draco Meteors, set up a Tail Glow, and sweep. On the other hand, if Dialga has boosted, Imposter becomes a shakier way to deal with it due to how much damage Draco Meteor and Doom Desire deal, requiring the Imposter user to be brought in via a safer method such as a slow U-turn. Due to the ease with which Magnet Pull Fairy-types can be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter Pokemon need to be played carefully in order to avoid being trapped themselves; however, Imposter can easily spell the end for Dialga's team when played properly.

Last edited:
Bumping this per Eevee's request. I'm reluctant to do the first QC check because I'm pretty inexperienced using Dialga, but if no one else gets to it I'll try to soon.

Sorry for taking so long to get this done. I wanted Flint to qc this first but oh well I'll give it a shot.

Overview:
  • Dialga can deal with Imposters fairly well if you just run a substitute fairy. I don't think that's particularly difficult to pull off, so maybe change your last line.
Set:
  • Change the title to Doom Desire, because that's the set's main thing IMO
  • I've never seen Quiver Dance or Spacial Rend on this set, are they effective enough to justify using? I don't really see many advantages. It's supposed to be more of a late game sweeper and stallbreaker.
Set Comments, Set Details
  • Looking good
Usage Tips:
  • If you switch after a Doom Desire, the damage goes down because of the lack of Tinted Lens (I think at least. Someone confirm or deny please)
Team Options:
  • Add a mention of Mold Breaker Pursuit Ghost types, because they can trap Shedinja really well the turn the Doom Desire hits
  • Mention that any Sub Fairy type can wall it in addition to your magnet pull set
Other Options:
  • I'm not sure if Flash Cannon is even worth mentioning here, Doom Desire just does so much more and is infinitely more useful
Good job, QC 1/3

Pikachuun

Sorry for taking so long to get this done. I wanted Flint to qc this first but oh well I'll give it a shot.

Overview:
  • Dialga can deal with Imposters fairly well if you just run a substitute fairy. I don't think that's particularly difficult to pull off, so maybe change your last line.
Set:
  • Change the title to Doom Desire, because that's the set's main thing IMO
  • I've never seen Quiver Dance or Spacial Rend on this set, are they effective enough to justify using? I don't really see many advantages. It's supposed to be more of a late game sweeper and stallbreaker.
Set Comments, Set Details
  • Looking good
Usage Tips:
  • If you switch after a Doom Desire, the damage goes down because of the lack of Tinted Lens (I think at least. Someone confirm or deny please)
Team Options:
  • Add a mention of Mold Breaker Pursuit Ghost types, because they can trap Shedinja really well the turn the Doom Desire hits
  • Mention that any Sub Fairy type can wall it in addition to your magnet pull set
Other Options:
  • I'm not sure if Flash Cannon is even worth mentioning here, Doom Desire just does so much more and is infinitely more useful
Good job, QC 1/3
I'll wait to implement the damage reduction thing until it's confirmed, and I kept Spacial Rend as the critical hits may be crucial on certain set-up sweepers that utilize Quiver Dance (unless another QC member agrees, then I'll remove it) but otherwise everything else is implemented.

Overview: Elaborate on why the typing is "interesting." (Aerilate resistance and Pixilate neutrality are probably some things you should mention.)

Set Comments: Be a bit more specific that King's Shield is used most notably to deal with -ate priority. Note that Leech Seed is a nice thing to use against Imposter Chansey. The Recover description is obvious and kind of unnecessary. It would be better to say something about how it provides added sustainability, or whatever.

Set Details: The 8 Speed doesn't just speed creep opposing Dialgas, it speed creeps all opposing base 90 Speed Pokemon.

Usage Tips: It's important to emphasize using Doom Desire before Tail Glow, I believe. Boosts will apply even if obtained after the attack is used, so it's best to make sure you can get it off in the first place. This is an important thing for new users of DD Dialga to understand.

Other Options: Add a bullet point for Magnet Pull, which can be a decent Imposter lure. It also might be worth it to mention Shell Smash + Judgment sets, which I've seen before with a few different abilities. Up to you.

Checks and Counters: This section could use some work. Fur Coat Chansey is not a counter, since every DD Dialga runs a setup move. Make a separate bullet point for Magnet Pull Fairy-types, as they are the #1 counter to this set. Also, the Protean Mewtwos should be mentioned as checks, since if given a free switch they can OHKO Dialga (Ground-type moves are common).

QC 2/3

Again, Dialga isn't a Pokemon I have a great amount of experience using, so I was conservative with my check. I'm interested to see what Flint, the Dialga user, makes of this.

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey

Overview:
  • Basically what UC said about the defensive side of the typing.
  • On the offensive side of the typing, with tinted, dragon, which is already a powerful offensive type because of the general trend of having dragons in the tier, becomes unresisted; steel covers up for dragon's only counter in fairies.
  • The typing also works as a lure to bring out common perceived counters like registeel and aegi which rely on their resist to tank damage.
  • 150 is more than good, despite the power creep
  • (Rephrase)Difficult to Imposter proof outside of a substitute Fairy type

Set:
  • Some people run safety goggles as an alternate option to adamant orb. Mention here especially since you bring it up in OO
  • (Optional Addition)King's Shield helps vs -ates especially, while also letting Dialga not worry about fighting type attacks since most are contact

Set Details:
  • Move point on adamant orb to the second spot so it continues on the "as much as damage as possible" trend

Usage Tips:
  • It is important to talk more clearly about how the mechanics of Doom Desire work with setup to fully understand the set's true power. Therefore, make the latter part of the second point more clear about the delayed timing of Doom
  • A point on how you can fire off Doom Desire, Draco Meteor and then switch immediately to prevent the drops from affecting you. Again, make very explicit that Doom Desire uses the Special Attack stat of the user at the time of hitting, which is its normal stat if it is in the party. This is a really important point to make very clear and helps decide checks and counters too (see below)
  • From the previous point, therefore the delay allows you to decide when you want to attack, and then scout, nuke, switch or setup accordingly to what is sent out next. Merge this with your point on King's Shield

Team Options:
  • Mold Breaker should be first because the advantage it gives with Dialga can be threefold:
    • Mold Breaker is a great user for hazard support
    • Mold Breaker with Pursuit is a great partner because you can Doom Desire to lure out Shedinja for later and send in Mold Breaker to hit it, or send out Mold Breaker early, to force the opponent to pick a different mon to take the brunt of the damage
    • Building off the last point, having the Mold Breaker also have phazing allows you to have a huge advantage over your opponent by shuffling their switch in to something which cannot take the attack instead. Mold Breaker is good for this because it cannot be blocked by Magic Bounce
  • Need something to take on powerful Ground of Fighting attacks that can wipe out Dialga in one shot, such as a defensive Fur Coat partner like AudinoMega or others

Other Options
  • If you wish to mention Magic Bounce, I think you should make it a completely separate set, as Magic Bounce with the Tinted set is usually pretty bad. For reference, they usually run either a defensive set, or an offensive Shell Smash set

Checks and Counters:
  • Fur Coat Chansey is not a counter or a check, it can usually do nothing except sit there and watch Dialga setup. The Chansey must have phazing as well
  • Building off of the previous point, having a phazor that can tank the Draco Meteor is good for imposter proofing, since Doom Desire is inherently imposter proof; once Chansey switches out, it no longer has Dialga's Special Attack and since Doom uses Special Attack at time of hit, it will make use of Chansey's weak Special Attack (which deals like 5% to a Fairy Type, not worth mentioning but just for your interest)
  • And further building off of the previous point, strong Special Unaware phazors usually counter Dialga pretty well, but they must take Draco well, because if not, they will be hit by +0 DM's every turn (since they are not affected by the drops). You can combine this and the previous points into one point, if you wish
  • You mention Fairy types with substitute throughout the text, except here, in the counter section, where it should be mentioned the most. I think it needs its own block, and mention some common users like Xerneas. Then, you can mention the magnet trap strategy with QD, instead of trying to including all of this with the Imposter block, since without a counter, Imposter can be used to check Dialga
  • Imposter can be used to check Dialga, but must watch out for it if it has already used Doom Desire and will setup. +3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Tinted Lens Dialga Doom Desire vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 558-656 (79.3 - 93.3%) and that is with base 250 HP. If you factor in the potential Magnet Trap, then it's easy to see that Chansey should be absolutely used as the last defense vs Dialga, OR if the anti-imposter partner on the team is already dealt with

Verdict:
Pretty good, this Dialga set is one of my favorite creations of gen 6. Let's hope it gets a mega/primal with base 200 special attack soon, yeah?

+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Base 200 Dialga Doom Desire vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 534-628 (83.1 - 97.8%)
+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Base 200 Tinted Lens Dialga Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Registeel: 376-444 (103.2 - 121.9%)
Yummy. Cross your fingers for it

QC3/3

Last edited:

Pikachuun

Overview: Elaborate on why the typing is "interesting." (Aerilate resistance and Pixilate neutrality are probably some things you should mention.)

Set Comments: Be a bit more specific that King's Shield is used most notably to deal with -ate priority. Note that Leech Seed is a nice thing to use against Imposter Chansey. The Recover description is obvious and kind of unnecessary. It would be better to say something about how it provides added sustainability, or whatever.

Set Details: The 8 Speed doesn't just speed creep opposing Dialgas, it speed creeps all opposing base 90 Speed Pokemon.

Usage Tips: It's important to emphasize using Doom Desire before Tail Glow, I believe. Boosts will apply even if obtained after the attack is used, so it's best to make sure you can get it off in the first place. This is an important thing for new users of DD Dialga to understand.

Other Options: Add a bullet point for Magnet Pull, which can be a decent Imposter lure. It also might be worth it to mention Shell Smash + Judgment sets, which I've seen before with a few different abilities. Up to you.

Checks and Counters: This section could use some work. Fur Coat Chansey is not a counter, since every DD Dialga runs a setup move. Make a separate bullet point for Magnet Pull Fairy-types, as they are the #1 counter to this set. Also, the Protean Mewtwos should be mentioned as checks, since if given a free switch they can OHKO Dialga (Ground-type moves are common).

QC 2/3

Again, Dialga isn't a Pokemon I have a great amount of experience using, so I was conservative with my check. I'm interested to see what Flint, the Dialga user, makes of this.
Hey

Overview:
  • Basically what UC said about the defensive side of the typing.
  • On the offensive side of the typing, with tinted, dragon, which is already a powerful offensive type because of the general trend of having dragons in the tier, becomes unresisted; steel covers up for dragon's only counter in fairies.
  • The typing also works as a lure to bring out common perceived counters like registeel and aegi which rely on their resist to tank damage.
  • 150 is more than good, despite the power creep
  • (Rephrase)Difficult to Imposter proof outside of a substitute Fairy type

Set:
  • Some people run safety goggles as an alternate option to adamant orb. Mention here especially since you bring it up in OO
  • (Optional Addition)King's Shield helps vs -ates especially, while also letting Dialga not worry about fighting type attacks since most are contact

Set Details:
  • Move point on adamant orb to the second spot so it continues on the "as much as damage as possible" trend

Usage Tips:
  • It is important to talk more clearly about how the mechanics of Doom Desire work with setup to fully understand the set's true power. Therefore, make the latter part of the second point more clear about the delayed timing of Doom
  • A point on how you can fire off Doom Desire, Draco Meteor and then switch immediately to prevent the drops from affecting you. Again, make very explicit that Doom Desire uses the Special Attack stat of the user at the time of hitting, which is its normal stat if it is in the party. This is a really important point to make very clear and helps decide checks and counters too (see below)
  • From the previous point, therefore the delay allows you to decide when you want to attack, and then scout, nuke, switch or setup accordingly to what is sent out next. Merge this with your point on King's Shield

Team Options:
  • Mold Breaker should be first because the advantage it gives with Dialga can be threefold:
    • Mold Breaker is a great user for hazard support
    • Mold Breaker with Pursuit is a great partner because you can Doom Desire to lure out Shedinja for later and send in Mold Breaker to hit it, or send out Mold Breaker early, to force the opponent to pick a different mon to take the brunt of the damage
    • Building off the last point, having the Mold Breaker also have phazing allows you to have a huge advantage over your opponent by shuffling their switch in to something which cannot take the attack instead. Mold Breaker is good for this because it cannot be blocked by Magic Bounce
  • Need something to take on powerful Ground of Fighting attacks that can wipe out Dialga in one shot, such as a defensive Fur Coat partner like AudinoMega or others

Other Options
  • If you wish to mention Magic Bounce, I think you should make it a completely separate set, as Magic Bounce with the Tinted set is usually pretty bad. For reference, they usually run either a defensive set, or an offensive Shell Smash set

Checks and Counters:
  • Fur Coat Chansey is not a counter or a check, it can usually do nothing except sit there and watch Dialga setup. The Chansey must have phazing as well
  • Building off of the previous point, having a phazor that can tank the Draco Meteor is good for imposter proofing, since Doom Desire is inherently imposter proof; once Chansey switches out, it no longer has Dialga's Special Attack and since Doom uses Special Attack at time of hit, it will make use of Chansey's weak Special Attack (which deals like 5% to a Fairy Type, not worth mentioning but just for your interest)
  • And further building off of the previous point, strong Special Unaware phazors usually counter Dialga pretty well, but they must take Draco well, because if not, they will be hit by +0 DM's every turn (since they are not affected by the drops). You can combine this and the previous points into one point, if you wish
  • You mention Fairy types with substitute throughout the text, except here, in the counter section, where it should be mentioned the most. I think it needs its own block, and mention some common users like Xerneas. Then, you can mention the magnet trap strategy with QD, instead of trying to including all of this with the Imposter block, since without a counter, Imposter can be used to check Dialga
  • Imposter can be used to check Dialga, but must watch out for it if it has already used Doom Desire and will setup. +3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Tinted Lens Dialga Doom Desire vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 558-656 (79.3 - 93.3%) and that is with base 250 HP. If you factor in the potential Magnet Trap, then it's easy to see that Chansey should be absolutely used as the last defense vs Dialga, OR if the anti-imposter partner on the team is already dealt with

Verdict:
Pretty good, this Dialga set is one of my favorites of gen 5. Let's hope it gets a mega/primal with base 200 special attack soon, yeah?

+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Base 200 Dialga Doom Desire vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 534-628 (83.1 - 97.8%)
+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Base 200 Tinted Lens Dialga Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Registeel: 376-444 (103.2 - 121.9%)
Yummy. Cross your fingers for it

QC3/3
Implemented these and writing the analysis

EDIT: Wrote the analysis, ready for GP

Last edited:

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi I forgot to mention this but besides being unaffected by protect, doom desire is great because it is also unaffected by metal burst and destiny bond.

Also it looked better in bullet format before.

Pikachuun

Hi I forgot to mention this but besides being unaffected by protect, doom desire is great because it is also unaffected by metal burst and destiny bond.

Also it looked better in bullet format before.
Writing the analysis is required, otherwise I would've kept it in bullet format because I'm lazy. Added.

Pikachuun

I started checking this before you added whatever you just added. Can you tell me where it is so I can adjust my check?
"This move is also not affected by Protect, Metal Burst, or Destiny Bond" is the only changed sentence, replacing a very similar one that only talks about Protect.

Malley

Dominachu
Add
Remove/Change
Comment
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen, etc.

[OVERVIEW]
Dialga, while not as great as other wallbreakers like good a wallbreaker as Mega Diancie or Mega Rayquaza, has quite a few distinct properties that makes it good in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. It has an interesting and Its unique Steel (space)/ (space)Dragon defensive typing, providing provides a resistance to Flying and a neutrality to Fairy, corresponding to two of the more commonly used -ate abilities in Aerilate and Pixilate. Steel (space)/ (space)Dragon is an interesting offensive typing as well, giving it Dialga unresisted coverage with just Tinted Lens and its STAB moves, with Dragon alone being unresisted itself outside of Fairy-types. Tinted Lens is its best ability and for good reason, allowing Tinted Lens allows Dialga it to lure in Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash, who rely on their resistances to take hits, and deal massive damage to them. Its bulk is quite decent, and its Special Attack is quite good even with the power creep, however but it is a bit on the slow side. Imposter-proofing it also proves a bit technical, Pokemon with Imposter present a problem to it, (AC) I like this phrasing, but it's a little too colloquial for an analysis requiring a Fairy-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull and Substitute to be dealt with reliably This is possibly too specific for the overview, but I'll leave it up to you, QC, and whomever gives this the second check deal with it in a reliable manner. Overall, Dialga is a nuke I really dislike "nuke", as it's become incredibly over-used. But that's subjective. If you feel like changing it, I would prefer "powerhouse" or something simpler like "massive threat" when set up, and can sweep unprepared teams with ease.

[SET]
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves:
==========

Tail Glow allows Dialga to raise its Special Attack to exponential sky-high "exponential" means something different. Replace it with whatever you want levels. , (AP, RC) such that its main STABs do as much damage as possible. Doom Desire allows Dialga to fire off a high-power STAB move with very few resists resistances due to Tinted Lens. Also, this move is not affected by Protect, Metal Burst, or Destiny Bond. It also creates some interesting opportunities has some interesting opportunities behind it due to its two-turn delay, meaning that a skilled player can manipulate his opponent's actions and potentially allow for an easier sweep This is too vague. Say something about how it can be abused by Pokemon that hit Steel resistances super effectively, or however else it is used. Draco Meteor is similar to Doom Desire in terms of power, but works best before switching out due to how Doom Desire's mechanics work as well as the resulting Special Attack drop The sense here is unclear. I assume part of the idea is that Draco Meteor forces Dialga to switch out, but the way it is phrased does not present this as a negative thing. And you need to say what it is about Doom Desire's mechanics that affect this. Also, I think there's some sort of comparison between Draco Meteor and Doom Desire here, but apart from the bit about them being similar in power I can't tell what it is. Spacial Rend is an alternate option over Draco Meteor with less power but a higher chance to get critical hits, which can be exceptionally useful to get past Pokemon with Special Defense boosts, such as Quiver Dance sweepers. versus setup sweepers utilizing Quiver Dance to get around their defensive boosts. This change encompasses more possibilities, and is also a bit cleaner King's Shield allows Dialga to scout the foe's moveset, lower the foe's Attack, and stall out Doom Desire turns. It is mostly used to block and punish -ate priority moves boosted by -ate abilities, (AC) such as Fake Out and Extreme Speed, (AC) and Fighting-type moves that make contact, the latter of which can do massive damage to can easily spell doom for Dialga. , (AP, RC) and lower the user's Attack since most of these make contact. This is a pretty run-on sentence, so I've tried to condense the last clause into "punish" after "block" and "that make contact" after "Fighting-type moves". You can assume the reader knows what King's Shield does, and there's little point in just blocking Focus Blast, as the foe can just go for it again. Leech Seed KOes Sturdy Shedinja, which who Either use "who" or "that / which" throughout the analysis. You use "who" of Registeel and Aegislash earlier, so I've gone with that, but feel free to change it the other way if you want. Check with me or the next checker that all the thats and whiches are correct if you do, though is an undesirable Pokemon for Dialga to face, and also provides passive healing to for Dialga. It can also be used to gain massive amounts of HP if an Imposter user like such as Chansey switches in. Recover, or any one of its clones, allows Dialga to gain added sustainability gives Dialga increased longevity via instant recovery, which can be quite useful over the slower recovery that Leech Seed provides.

Set Details
==========

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Dialga to do as much damage as possible. Adamant Orb is run to compound this damage, boosting Dialga's STAB moves with no drawbacks without locking it into a move or making it take recoil "with no drawbacks" overlooks the opportunity cost of not using another item, and makes the slash of Safety Goggles look rather nonsensical. 0 Attack IVs minimize Foul Play damage, and 248 HP EVs are to make Dialga's HP odd for limit damage taken from Curse and Spikes precent-based damage like Curse 248 HP EVs only help Dialga with Curse and 3-layer Spikes damage - 252 is fine for Stealth Rock, burn, and 1- or 2-layer Spikes damage. Saying an odd number helps with all percentage-based damage could cause confusion. The rest of the EVs are placed in Speed to outspeed uninvested Dialgas as well as other uninvested Pokemon with base 90 Speed Pokemon. Tinted Lens is the ability of choice, allowing giving Dialga's STAB moves to have unresisted coverage. With this ability, very common Steel-types such as Registeel or and Aegislash cannot counter Dialga. Safety Goggles is an alternate option over Adamant Orb that prevents Dialga from being put to sleep by Spore, albeit losing it some power in the process.

Usage Tips
==========

Doom Desire is most often the best move for Dialga to use, as ___ by far your best move to use in most circumstances due to the fact that it is quite strong and also deals guaranteed damage after two turns The existing change is to tidy up "by far... most circumstances"; the ___ is because the rest of the sentence is too vague. Draco Meteor is also quite strong, and deals (nearly) guaranteed damage immediately, when Dialga may need it more to knock out a threat. Give more information on the benefits of Doom Desire over Draco Meteor, and maybe add in a caveat of "when Dialga is not immediately threatened" or something. It is exceptionally important to use this Doom Desire before Tail Glow, (AC) if you wish to use Tail Glow at all, due to Tail Glow's boosts only factoring in being factored in when the move hits. With this in mind, Tail Glow is your most desirable choice when you predict your opponent to switch into a "counter," to make Doom Desire deal far more damage, potentially spelling doom for your opponent's switchin. Tail Glow can be used if Dialga forces a switch after using Doom Desire, to deal massive damage even to switch-ins who resist Doom Desire I'm not convinced that this sentence is necessary at all, as it says something similar to the previous sentence, but even if it is kept it is too colloquial with ""counter"" and "spelling doom". Also, do not ghost people through individual plays, like predictions - there is too much room for extenuating circumstances. Let them weigh up the risk/reward. Another strategy is to use Doom Desire, then Draco Meteor, then switch out; since because Don't use "since" to mean "because" your Dialga's "you" = the player boosts are reset if you it switches out, Tail Glow Doom Desire I assume will use your Dialga's unmodified Special Attack rather than the decreased stat that results from using Draco Meteor. If you predict your opponent to attack, Use King's Shield allows you to scout a foe's moves what move they use as well as and potentially lower their Attack. Using Dialga's moveset strategically is key, as you can essentially pick when you want Dialga to sweep, nuke wallbreak Don't use "nuke" as a technical term, or scout, depending on the scenario. Due to Imposter countersweeping you being an undesirable scenario, try to r Remove Pokemon with the ability Imposter such as Chansey beforehand before trying to sweep unless you have a full counter. In addition, it is important to try to remove Sturdy Shedinja as soon as possible if Dialga does not have Leech Seed, (AC) as without it Leech Seed, (RC) Dialga cannot harm Shedinja becomes a sitting duck against it and is essentially doomed if it doesn't switch out.

Team Options
==========

Teammates with Mold Breaker are highly recommended for various reasons. The first is that they can provide entry hazard support even against Magic Bounce users, which KOes Sturdy Shedinja when it switches in as well as provides inflicting chip damage. The second is that the combination of Mold Breaker and Pursuit traps and KOes Sturdy Shedinja, dissuading Shedinja from switching into Doom Desire and punishing it if it does allowing Dialga to fire off a Doom Desire to lure Sturdy Shedinja in, then switch out to its teammate to get rid of said Shedinja. Lastly, phazing moves, especially when backed by Mold Breaker to get around Magic Bounce, can potentially force your opponent into something that cannot take a Doom Desire. This ("Lastly" onwards) seems like a really small point for the amount of space it takes up. Phazing moves are the important thing here, not Mold Breaker. Similarly for the hazard setters. If you want to keep this sentence though, say "Lastly, Mold Breaker users cannot have their phazing moves bounced back by Magic Bounce, allowing them to shuffle foes around to take heavy hits from Doom Desire" Examples of good Pokemon that can to run Mold Breaker include Mega Gengar, Mega Gyarados - (AH) who has the special mention of being able to run any other ability and mega-evolve Mega Evolve to gain Mold Breaker, (RC) -, (AH + AC) and Mega Mewtwo X. A Magnet Pull Fairy-(AH)type with Substitute can be used to hard-(RH) counter and set up on Pokemon with Imposter who copy this set, (AC) this set should it get copied by an Imposter as the Imposter Pokemon will be unable to switch out due to Magnet Pull. A Pokemon with a phazing move that who can take a Draco Meteor or two from Dialga or is simply immune to Draco Meteor can also be used to deal with Imposter users, since as forcing the Imposter Pokemon out makes the Doom Desire use forces it to use its the Imposter Pokemon's Special Attack rather than Dialga's, resulting in paltry amounts of damage. Another Steel-type can be used in conjunction with Dialga to better deal with Pixilate or and Refrigerate Pokemon, as it Dialga is neutrally affected by Fairy- and Ice-type moves due to its typing Not sure how worthy of mention Dialga being neutral to something is. Is there anything else that makes it a good semi-check to -ate abilities, or is it just that it looks like it should be a good check with its Steel typing?. A Fur Coat Pokemon such as Mega Audino or Giratina can also be run to sponge the Ground- and Fighting-type attacks that Dialga finds undesirable to go up against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==========

Dialga's first three moves are pretty much set in stone, and are the most desirable choices for its role. This doesn't make sense when the third moveslot has two options As for its fourth move, there are plenty of options that can be run depending on what you desire. Spiky Shield can be run to block Status status moves and deal chip damage to the foe if it makes contact, as well as potentially KO Sturdy Shedinja if it uses Endeavor if it gets greedy and clicks Endeavor. Magma Storm can be run to deal super-(RH) effective damage to Steel-types and KO Sturdy Shedinja; while Doom Desire and Draco Meteor do slightly more damage to Steel-types thanks to Tinted Lens, the residual damage is always appreciated. Keep in mind that this makes Dialga harder than it already is to protect against Imposter Pokemon Imposter-proof. Lastly, Spore can be run, (AC) as it is almost guaranteed to cause the put a foe to sleep fall asleep; in this case, Safety Goggles is a good item to run in this case to prevent Magic Bounce users from putting Dialga to sleep instead.

A Choice Specs set is certainly an option to fire off make Doom Desire ridiculously high-powered Doom Desires and potentially cripple walls with Trick. The Setup setup sweeper Tinted Lens set is almost always better, however, (AC) as Doom Desire is not the best move to be locked into. A Magnet Pull set can be used to lure, trap, and kill Imposters Imposter users that would normally capitalize on a free Tail Glow. Shell Smash and Judgment can also be run on this set as well as many others to accomplish a similar purpose. I just don't understand this sentence. "Many other" what, and a "similar purpose" to what?

Checks and Counters
==========

**Magnet Pull Fairy-types**: Fairy-types are immune to Dragon-type moves, and as such the only move Dialga has to hit them with is Doom Desire. Most Magnet Pull Fairy-types capitalize on this, effectively neutering Dialga by using Substitute to block the damage caused by Doom Desire. The most prominent example of a Pokemon that who utilizes this strategy is Xerneas. These are the largest threats to Dialga since because they can easily use fully set up on Dialga to set up with Quiver Dance or something similar and sweep.

**Protean Mega Mewtwo**: Both Protean Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y commonly run Ground-type coverage moves to hit Steel-types such as Registeel This is a weird thing to bring up when you're talking about Dialga taking hits super-(RH) effectively. Dialga has a hard time taking hits from either as a result of this. However, both Mega Mewtwo do not neither appreciates taking a Doom Desire on the switch, especially if it is boosted by Tail Glow.

**Sturdy Shedinja**: Sturdy Shedinja flat-out walls this set if Dialga doesn't carry Leech Seed or something else that is dedicated to defeating Shedinja, and can easily threaten Dialga with Endeavor. Entry hazard support and a teammate with Mold Breaker and Pursuit alleviate this, to an extent.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unaware Pokemon that can reliably take Draco Meteor or are just immune to it like Mega Audino can switch into Dialga and phaze it out. Keep in mind that it is they are harder to switch in if Dialga's is using Doom Desire, and that the Unaware Pokemon will constantly be hit by unboosted Draco Meteors unless they are a Fairy-type, as since they are not affected by the stat drops.

**Imposter Pokemon**: Imposter Pokemon can copy this set and threaten to sweep with it, as some Imposters, particularly Chansey, have just enough bulk to take unboosted hits and retaliate with their own. What exactly is this saying? Imposter Pokemon have been built up throughout the analysis as a massive threat, and now it looks like the best they can do is come in, live one hit, and revenge kill Dialga. I feel like some important information is being left out, or the phrasing is just confusing If Dialga has boosted, Imposter becomes a shakier way to deal with Dialga it due to how much damage Draco Meteor and Doom Desire deal Say what actually happens - is it a Speed tie between Dialga and the Imposter Pokemon, with the one that wins KOing the other? "due to how much damage" doesn't help new players much , (RC) especially on the switchin. Factoring in how Magnet Pull Fairy-types can easily be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter needs to be played smartly in order to deal with Dialga.

GP 1/2

Pikachuun

Add
Remove/Change
Comment
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen, etc.

[OVERVIEW]
Dialga, while not as great as other wallbreakers like good a wallbreaker as Mega Diancie or Mega Rayquaza, has quite a few distinct properties that makes it good in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. It has an interesting and Its unique Steel (space)/ (space)Dragon defensive typing, providing provides a resistance to Flying and a neutrality to Fairy, corresponding to two of the more commonly used -ate abilities in Aerilate and Pixilate. Steel (space)/ (space)Dragon is an interesting offensive typing as well, giving it Dialga unresisted coverage with just Tinted Lens and its STAB moves, with Dragon alone being unresisted itself outside of Fairy-types. Tinted Lens is its best ability and for good reason, allowing Tinted Lens allows Dialga it to lure in Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash, who rely on their resistances to take hits, and deal massive damage to them. Its bulk is quite decent, and its Special Attack is quite good even with the power creep, however but it is a bit on the slow side. Imposter-proofing it also proves a bit technical, Pokemon with Imposter present a problem to it, (AC) I like this phrasing, but it's a little too colloquial for an analysis requiring a Fairy-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull and Substitute to be dealt with reliably This is possibly too specific for the overview, but I'll leave it up to you, QC, and whomever gives this the second check deal with it in a reliable manner. Overall, Dialga is a nuke I really dislike "nuke", as it's become incredibly over-used. But that's subjective. If you feel like changing it, I would prefer "powerhouse" or something simpler like "massive threat" when set up, and can sweep unprepared teams with ease.

[SET]
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves:
==========

Tail Glow allows Dialga to raise its Special Attack to exponential sky-high "exponential" means something different. Replace it with whatever you want levels. , (AP, RC) such that its main STABs do as much damage as possible. Doom Desire allows Dialga to fire off a high-power STAB move with very few resists resistances due to Tinted Lens. Also, this move is not affected by Protect, Metal Burst, or Destiny Bond. It also creates some interesting opportunities has some interesting opportunities behind it due to its two-turn delay, meaning that a skilled player can manipulate his opponent's actions and potentially allow for an easier sweep This is too vague. Say something about how it can be abused by Pokemon that hit Steel resistances super effectively, or however else it is used. Draco Meteor is similar to Doom Desire in terms of power, but works best before switching out due to how Doom Desire's mechanics work as well as the resulting Special Attack drop The sense here is unclear. I assume part of the idea is that Draco Meteor forces Dialga to switch out, but the way it is phrased does not present this as a negative thing. And you need to say what it is about Doom Desire's mechanics that affect this. Also, I think there's some sort of comparison between Draco Meteor and Doom Desire here, but apart from the bit about them being similar in power I can't tell what it is. Spacial Rend is an alternate option over Draco Meteor with less power but a higher chance to get critical hits, which can be exceptionally useful to get past Pokemon with Special Defense boosts, such as Quiver Dance sweepers. versus setup sweepers utilizing Quiver Dance to get around their defensive boosts. This change encompasses more possibilities, and is also a bit cleaner King's Shield allows Dialga to scout the foe's moveset, lower the foe's Attack, and stall out Doom Desire turns. It is mostly used to block and punish -ate priority moves boosted by -ate abilities, (AC) such as Fake Out and Extreme Speed, (AC) and Fighting-type moves that make contact, the latter of which can do massive damage to can easily spell doom for Dialga. , (AP, RC) and lower the user's Attack since most of these make contact. This is a pretty run-on sentence, so I've tried to condense the last clause into "punish" after "block" and "that make contact" after "Fighting-type moves". You can assume the reader knows what King's Shield does, and there's little point in just blocking Focus Blast, as the foe can just go for it again. Leech Seed KOes Sturdy Shedinja, which who Either use "who" or "that / which" throughout the analysis. You use "who" of Registeel and Aegislash earlier, so I've gone with that, but feel free to change it the other way if you want. Check with me or the next checker that all the thats and whiches are correct if you do, though is an undesirable Pokemon for Dialga to face, and also provides passive healing to for Dialga. It can also be used to gain massive amounts of HP if an Imposter user like such as Chansey switches in. Recover, or any one of its clones, allows Dialga to gain added sustainability gives Dialga increased longevity via instant recovery, which can be quite useful over the slower recovery that Leech Seed provides.

Set Details
==========

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Dialga to do as much damage as possible. Adamant Orb is run to compound this damage, boosting Dialga's STAB moves with no drawbacks without locking it into a move or making it take recoil "with no drawbacks" overlooks the opportunity cost of not using another item, and makes the slash of Safety Goggles look rather nonsensical. 0 Attack IVs minimize Foul Play damage, and 248 HP EVs are to make Dialga's HP odd for limit damage taken from Curse and Spikes precent-based damage like Curse 248 HP EVs only help Dialga with Curse and 3-layer Spikes damage - 252 is fine for Stealth Rock, burn, and 1- or 2-layer Spikes damage. Saying an odd number helps with all percentage-based damage could cause confusion. The rest of the EVs are placed in Speed to outspeed uninvested Dialgas as well as other uninvested Pokemon with base 90 Speed Pokemon. Tinted Lens is the ability of choice, allowing giving Dialga's STAB moves to have unresisted coverage. With this ability, very common Steel-types such as Registeel or and Aegislash cannot counter Dialga. Safety Goggles is an alternate option over Adamant Orb that prevents Dialga from being put to sleep by Spore, albeit losing it some power in the process.

Usage Tips
==========

Doom Desire is most often the best move for Dialga to use, as ___ by far your best move to use in most circumstances due to the fact that it is quite strong and also deals guaranteed damage after two turns The existing change is to tidy up "by far... most circumstances"; the ___ is because the rest of the sentence is too vague. Draco Meteor is also quite strong, and deals (nearly) guaranteed damage immediately, when Dialga may need it more to knock out a threat. Give more information on the benefits of Doom Desire over Draco Meteor, and maybe add in a caveat of "when Dialga is not immediately threatened" or something. It is exceptionally important to use this Doom Desire before Tail Glow, (AC) if you wish to use Tail Glow at all, due to Tail Glow's boosts only factoring in being factored in when the move hits. With this in mind, Tail Glow is your most desirable choice when you predict your opponent to switch into a "counter," to make Doom Desire deal far more damage, potentially spelling doom for your opponent's switchin. Tail Glow can be used if Dialga forces a switch after using Doom Desire, to deal massive damage even to switch-ins who resist Doom Desire I'm not convinced that this sentence is necessary at all, as it says something similar to the previous sentence, but even if it is kept it is too colloquial with ""counter"" and "spelling doom". Also, do not ghost people through individual plays, like predictions - there is too much room for extenuating circumstances. Let them weigh up the risk/reward. Another strategy is to use Doom Desire, then Draco Meteor, then switch out; since because Don't use "since" to mean "because" your Dialga's "you" = the player boosts are reset if you it switches out, Tail Glow Doom Desire I assume will use your Dialga's unmodified Special Attack rather than the decreased stat that results from using Draco Meteor. If you predict your opponent to attack, Use King's Shield allows you to scout a foe's moves what move they use as well as and potentially lower their Attack. Using Dialga's moveset strategically is key, as you can essentially pick when you want Dialga to sweep, nuke wallbreak Don't use "nuke" as a technical term, or scout, depending on the scenario. Due to Imposter countersweeping you being an undesirable scenario, try to r Remove Pokemon with the ability Imposter such as Chansey beforehand before trying to sweep unless you have a full counter. In addition, it is important to try to remove Sturdy Shedinja as soon as possible if Dialga does not have Leech Seed, (AC) as without it Leech Seed, (RC) Dialga cannot harm Shedinja becomes a sitting duck against it and is essentially doomed if it doesn't switch out.

Team Options
==========

Teammates with Mold Breaker are highly recommended for various reasons. The first is that they can provide entry hazard support even against Magic Bounce users, which KOes Sturdy Shedinja when it switches in as well as provides inflicting chip damage. The second is that the combination of Mold Breaker and Pursuit traps and KOes Sturdy Shedinja, dissuading Shedinja from switching into Doom Desire and punishing it if it does allowing Dialga to fire off a Doom Desire to lure Sturdy Shedinja in, then switch out to its teammate to get rid of said Shedinja. Lastly, phazing moves, especially when backed by Mold Breaker to get around Magic Bounce, can potentially force your opponent into something that cannot take a Doom Desire. This ("Lastly" onwards) seems like a really small point for the amount of space it takes up. Phazing moves are the important thing here, not Mold Breaker. Similarly for the hazard setters. If you want to keep this sentence though, say "Lastly, Mold Breaker users cannot have their phazing moves bounced back by Magic Bounce, allowing them to shuffle foes around to take heavy hits from Doom Desire" Examples of good Pokemon that can to run Mold Breaker include Mega Gengar, Mega Gyarados - (AH) who has the special mention of being able to run any other ability and mega-evolve Mega Evolve to gain Mold Breaker, (RC) -, (AH + AC) and Mega Mewtwo X. A Magnet Pull Fairy-(AH)type with Substitute can be used to hard-(RH) counter and set up on Pokemon with Imposter who copy this set, (AC) this set should it get copied by an Imposter as the Imposter Pokemon will be unable to switch out due to Magnet Pull. A Pokemon with a phazing move that who can take a Draco Meteor or two from Dialga or is simply immune to Draco Meteor can also be used to deal with Imposter users, since as forcing the Imposter Pokemon out makes the Doom Desire use forces it to use its the Imposter Pokemon's Special Attack rather than Dialga's, resulting in paltry amounts of damage. Another Steel-type can be used in conjunction with Dialga to better deal with Pixilate or and Refrigerate Pokemon, as it Dialga is neutrally affected by Fairy- and Ice-type moves due to its typing Not sure how worthy of mention Dialga being neutral to something is. Is there anything else that makes it a good semi-check to -ate abilities, or is it just that it looks like it should be a good check with its Steel typing?. A Fur Coat Pokemon such as Mega Audino or Giratina can also be run to sponge the Ground- and Fighting-type attacks that Dialga finds undesirable to go up against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==========

Dialga's first three moves are pretty much set in stone, and are the most desirable choices for its role. This doesn't make sense when the third moveslot has two options As for its fourth move, there are plenty of options that can be run depending on what you desire. Spiky Shield can be run to block Status status moves and deal chip damage to the foe if it makes contact, as well as potentially KO Sturdy Shedinja if it uses Endeavor if it gets greedy and clicks Endeavor. Magma Storm can be run to deal super-(RH) effective damage to Steel-types and KO Sturdy Shedinja; while Doom Desire and Draco Meteor do slightly more damage to Steel-types thanks to Tinted Lens, the residual damage is always appreciated. Keep in mind that this makes Dialga harder than it already is to protect against Imposter Pokemon Imposter-proof. Lastly, Spore can be run, (AC) as it is almost guaranteed to cause the put a foe to sleep fall asleep; in this case, Safety Goggles is a good item to run in this case to prevent Magic Bounce users from putting Dialga to sleep instead.

A Choice Specs set is certainly an option to fire off make Doom Desire ridiculously high-powered Doom Desires and potentially cripple walls with Trick. The Setup setup sweeper Tinted Lens set is almost always better, however, (AC) as Doom Desire is not the best move to be locked into. A Magnet Pull set can be used to lure, trap, and kill Imposters Imposter users that would normally capitalize on a free Tail Glow. Shell Smash and Judgment can also be run on this set as well as many others to accomplish a similar purpose. I just don't understand this sentence. "Many other" what, and a "similar purpose" to what?

Checks and Counters
==========

**Magnet Pull Fairy-types**: Fairy-types are immune to Dragon-type moves, and as such the only move Dialga has to hit them with is Doom Desire. Most Magnet Pull Fairy-types capitalize on this, effectively neutering Dialga by using Substitute to block the damage caused by Doom Desire. The most prominent example of a Pokemon that who utilizes this strategy is Xerneas. These are the largest threats to Dialga since because they can easily use fully set up on Dialga to set up with Quiver Dance or something similar and sweep.

**Protean Mega Mewtwo**: Both Protean Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y commonly run Ground-type coverage moves to hit Steel-types such as Registeel This is a weird thing to bring up when you're talking about Dialga taking hits super-(RH) effectively. Dialga has a hard time taking hits from either as a result of this. However, both Mega Mewtwo do not neither appreciates taking a Doom Desire on the switch, especially if it is boosted by Tail Glow.

**Sturdy Shedinja**: Sturdy Shedinja flat-out walls this set if Dialga doesn't carry Leech Seed or something else that is dedicated to defeating Shedinja, and can easily threaten Dialga with Endeavor. Entry hazard support and a teammate with Mold Breaker and Pursuit alleviate this, to an extent.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unaware Pokemon that can reliably take Draco Meteor or are just immune to it like Mega Audino can switch into Dialga and phaze it out. Keep in mind that it is they are harder to switch in if Dialga's is using Doom Desire, and that the Unaware Pokemon will constantly be hit by unboosted Draco Meteors unless they are a Fairy-type, as since they are not affected by the stat drops.

**Imposter Pokemon**: Imposter Pokemon can copy this set and threaten to sweep with it, as some Imposters, particularly Chansey, have just enough bulk to take unboosted hits and retaliate with their own. What exactly is this saying? Imposter Pokemon have been built up throughout the analysis as a massive threat, and now it looks like the best they can do is come in, live one hit, and revenge kill Dialga. I feel like some important information is being left out, or the phrasing is just confusing If Dialga has boosted, Imposter becomes a shakier way to deal with Dialga it due to how much damage Draco Meteor and Doom Desire deal Say what actually happens - is it a Speed tie between Dialga and the Imposter Pokemon, with the one that wins KOing the other? "due to how much damage" doesn't help new players much , (RC) especially on the switchin. Factoring in how Magnet Pull Fairy-types can easily be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter needs to be played smartly in order to deal with Dialga.

GP 1/2
bbbut muh puns ;_;

Implemented most of this and clarified a bit pertaining to the questions you asked

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]
Dialga, while not as good a wallbreaker as Mega Diancie or Mega Rayquaza, has quite a few distinct properties that makes make it good in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. Its unique Steel / Dragon typing provides a resistance to Flying and a neutrality to Fairy, corresponding to two of the more commonly used -ate abilities in Aerilate and Pixilate. Steel / Dragon is an interesting offensive typing as well, giving it unresisted coverage with just Tinted Lens and its STAB moves, with Dragon alone being unresisted itself outside of Fairy-types. Tinted Lens allows Dialga to lure in and deal massive damage to Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash, who which rely on their resistances to take hits, and deal massive damage to them. Its bulk is decent, and its Special Attack is quite good, (AC) but it is a bit on the slow side. Pokemon with Imposter present a problem to it, requiring a Fairy-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull and Substitute to be dealt with reliably . Overall, Dialga is a massive threat when set up (RC) and can sweep unprepared teams with ease.

[SET]
evs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk SpA / 8 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk (standard for anything that doesn't run physical moves)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves (remove colon)
==========

Tail Glow allows Dialga to raise its Special Attack to sky-high levels. Doom Desire allows Dialga to fire off a high-power STAB move with very few resistances that very few Pokemon resist due to Tinted Lens. Also Additionally, this move is not affected by Protect, Metal Burst, or Destiny Bond. It also creates some interesting opportunities due to its two-turn delay by forcing switches or simply KOing the opponent's Pokemon if they choose to not to switch. Draco Meteor is another powerful STAB attack that works best before switching out due to if Dialga switches out afterwards, because then Doom Desire using uses Dialga's unmodified Special Attack if it does so, rather than the decreased Special Attack that results from using Draco Meteor. Spacial Rend is an alternate option over Draco Meteor with less power but a higher chance to get critical hits, which can be exceptionally useful to get past Pokemon with Special Defense boosts, such as Quiver Dance sweepers. King's Shield allows Dialga to scout the foe's moveset, lower the foe's Attack, and stall out Doom Desire turns. It is mostly used to block and punish priority moves boosted by -ate abilities, such as Fake Out and Extreme Speed, and Fighting-type moves that make contact, the latter of which can do massive damage to Dialga. Leech Seed KOes Sturdy Shedinja, who which is an undesirable Pokemon for Dialga to face, and also provides passive healing for Dialga. It can also be used to gain massive amounts of HP if an Imposter user such as Chansey switches in. Recover, or any of its clones, gives Dialga increased longevity via instant recovery, which can be quite more useful over than the slower recovery that Leech Seed provides.

Set Details
==========

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Dialga to do as much damage as possible. Adamant Orb is run to compound increase this damage, boosting Dialga's STAB moves without locking it into a move or making it take recoil. 0 Attack IVs minimize Foul Play damage, and (again, standard) 248 HP EVs limit damage taken from Curse and Spikes. The rest of the EVs are placed in Speed to outspeed uninvested Dialga as well as other uninvested Pokemon with base 90 Speed. (put them somewhere else. anywhere else. 4 EVs are enough for this, and creeping is not allowed, not to mention using yourself as benchmark is pretty iffy to begin with) Tinted Lens is the ability of choice, giving Dialga's STAB moves unresisted coverage. With this ability, very common Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash cannot counter Dialga. Safety Goggles is an alternate option over Adamant Orb that prevents Dialga from being put to sleep by Spore, albeit losing it although it loses some power in the process.

Usage Tips
==========

Doom Desire is most often the best move for Dialga to use when Dialga is not immediately threatened (RC) due to its ability to ignore the effects of various moves (RC) such as Protect, Metal Burst, and Destiny Bond (RC) while also and potentially forcing force a switch. It is important to use Doom Desire before Tail Glow, if you wish to use Tail Glow at all, due to Tail Glow's boosts only being factored in when the move hits. Tail Glow can be used if Dialga forces a switch after using Doom Desire (RC) to deal massive damage even to switch-ins who that resist Doom Desire. Another strategy is to use Doom Desire, then follow up with Draco Meteor, and then switch out; because Dialga's boosts stat changes are reset if it switches out, Doom Desire will use Dialga's unmodified Special Attack rather than the decreased stat that results from using Draco Meteor. Use King's Shield to scout a foe's moves and potentially lower their its Attack. Using Dialga's moveset strategically is key, as you can essentially pick when you want Dialga to sweep, wallbreak, or scout, depending on the scenario. Remove Pokemon with the ability Imposter before trying to sweep unless you have a full counter, in which case Imposter isn't as much of a worry. In addition, it is important to remove Sturdy Shedinja as soon as possible if Dialga does not have Leech Seed, as without it, (AC) Dialga cannot harm Shedinja.

Team Options
==========

Teammates with Mold Breaker are highly recommended for various reasons. The first is that they can provide entry hazard support even against Magic Bounce users, which KOes Sturdy Shedinja when it switches in as well as inflicting chip damage. The second is that the combination of Mold Breaker and Pursuit traps allows them to trap and KOes Sturdy Shedinja, dissuading Shedinja from switching into Doom Desire and punishing it if it does. Lastly, Mold Breaker users cannot have their phazing moves bounced back by Magic Bounce, allowing them to shuffle foes around to take heavy hits from Doom Desire. Examples of good Pokemon to run Mold Breaker include Mega Gengar, Mega Gyarados—who which (proper dash)has the special mention distinction of being able to run any other ability and Mega Evolve to gain Mold Breaker—, and Mega Mewtwo X. A Magnet Pull Fairy-type with Substitute can be used to counter and set up on Pokemon with Imposter who that copy this set, as the Imposter Pokemon will be unable to switch out due to Magnet Pull by preventing it from switching out. A Pokemon with a phazing move who that can take a Draco Meteor or two from Dialga can also be used to deal with Imposter users, as forcing the Imposter Pokemon out makes the Doom Desire use the Imposter Pokemon's Special Attack rather than Dialga's, resulting in paltry amounts of damage. Another Steel-type can be used in conjunction with Dialga to better deal with Pixilate and Refrigerate Pokemon, as Dialga is neutrally affected by Fairy- and Ice-type moves. A Fur Coat Pokemon such as Mega Audino or Giratina can also be run to sponge the Ground- and Fighting-type attacks that Dialga finds undesirable to go up against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==========

There are plenty of alternate options for Dialga's fourth move that can be run. Spiky Shield can be run to block status moves, (AC) unlike King's Shield, (AC) and deal chip damage to the foe if it makes contact, as well as KO Sturdy Shedinja if it uses Endeavor. Magma Storm can be run to deal super effective damage to Steel-types and KO Sturdy Shedinja; while Doom Desire and Draco Meteor do slightly more damage to Steel-types thanks to Tinted Lens, the residual damage is always appreciated. Keep in mind that this makes Dialga harder than it already is to protect against Imposter Pokemon than it already is. Lastly, Spore can be run, as it is almost guaranteed put a foe to sleep; in this case if you opt for this, Safety Goggles is a good item to run to prevent Magic Bounce users from putting Dialga to sleep instead.

A Choice Specs set is an option to make Doom Desire ridiculously high-powered powerful (if you are set on keeping high-powered, remove the hyphen, but to "make" something high powered really rubs me the wrong way cause "high-powered" rather refers to a move's inherent traits afaik) and potentially cripple walls with Trick. The setup sweeper Tinted Lens set is almost always better, however, as Doom Desire is not the best move to be locked into. A Magnet Pull set can be used to lure, trap, and kill KO Imposter users that would normally capitalize on a free Tail Glow. Shell Smash and Judgment can also be run on this set, as well as on the setup sweeper Tinted Lens set, to make killing KOing Imposter users easier.

Checks and Counters
==========

**Magnet Pull Fairy-types**: Fairy-types are immune to Dragon-type moves, and as such the only move Dialga has to hit them with is Doom Desire. Most Magnet Pull Fairy-types capitalize on this, neutering Dialga by using Substitute to block the damage caused by Doom Desire. The most prominent example of a Pokemon who that utilizes this strategy is Xerneas. These are the largest threats to Dialga because they can easily fully set up on Dialga and sweep.

**Protean Mega Mewtwo**: Both Protean Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y commonly run Ground-type coverage moves to hit Steel-types super effectively. Dialga has a hard time taking hits from either as a result of this. However, neither appreciates taking a Doom Desire on the switch, especially if it is boosted by Tail Glow.

**Sturdy Shedinja**: Sturdy Shedinja walls this set if Dialga doesn't carry Leech Seed or something else that is dedicated to defeating Shedinja, and it can threaten Dialga with Endeavor. Entry hazard support and a teammate with Mold Breaker and Pursuit alleviate this (RC) to an extent.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unaware Pokemon that can reliably take Draco Meteor can switch into Dialga and phaze it out. Keep in mind that they are harder to switch in if Dialga is using Doom Desire (RC) and that the Unaware Pokemon will constantly be hit by unboosted a full-powered Draco Meteor unless they are a Fairy-types, as they are not affected by ignore the stat drops.

**Imposter Pokemon**: Imposter Pokemon can copy this set and threaten to sweep with it. If Dialga is unboosted, this becomes far easier, since as Imposter Chansey can take a few unboosted Draco Meteors, set up a Tail Glow, and sweep. On the other hand, if Dialga has boosted, Imposter becomes a shakier way to deal with it due to how much damage Draco Meteor and Doom Desire deal, requiring the Imposter user to be brought in via a safer method like such as a slow U-turn. Factoring in how Magnet Pull Fairy-types can easily be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter needs to be played smartly in order to deal with Dialga; (SC; this sentence is a bit hard to follow; do you mean something like "Due to the ease with which Magnet Pull Fairy-types can be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter Pokemon need to be played carefully in order to avoid being trapped themselves?") however, (AC) Imposter can easily spell the end for Dialga's team when played as such properly.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Pikachuun

remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]
Dialga, while not as good a wallbreaker as Mega Diancie or Mega Rayquaza, has quite a few distinct properties that makes make it good in the Balanced Hackmons metagame. Its unique Steel / Dragon typing provides a resistance to Flying and a neutrality to Fairy, corresponding to two of the more commonly used -ate abilities in Aerilate and Pixilate. Steel / Dragon is an interesting offensive typing as well, giving it unresisted coverage with just Tinted Lens and its STAB moves, with Dragon alone being unresisted itself outside of Fairy-types. Tinted Lens allows Dialga to lure in and deal massive damage to Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash, who which rely on their resistances to take hits, and deal massive damage to them. Its bulk is decent, and its Special Attack is quite good, (AC) but it is a bit on the slow side. Pokemon with Imposter present a problem to it, requiring a Fairy-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull and Substitute to be dealt with reliably . Overall, Dialga is a massive threat when set up (RC) and can sweep unprepared teams with ease.

[SET]
evs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk SpA / 8 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk (standard for anything that doesn't run physical moves)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves (remove colon)
==========

Tail Glow allows Dialga to raise its Special Attack to sky-high levels. Doom Desire allows Dialga to fire off a high-power STAB move with very few resistances that very few Pokemon resist due to Tinted Lens. Also Additionally, this move is not affected by Protect, Metal Burst, or Destiny Bond. It also creates some interesting opportunities due to its two-turn delay by forcing switches or simply KOing the opponent's Pokemon if they choose to not to switch. Draco Meteor is another powerful STAB attack that works best before switching out due to if Dialga switches out afterwards, because then Doom Desire using uses Dialga's unmodified Special Attack if it does so, rather than the decreased Special Attack that results from using Draco Meteor. Spacial Rend is an alternate option over Draco Meteor with less power but a higher chance to get critical hits, which can be exceptionally useful to get past Pokemon with Special Defense boosts, such as Quiver Dance sweepers. King's Shield allows Dialga to scout the foe's moveset, lower the foe's Attack, and stall out Doom Desire turns. It is mostly used to block and punish priority moves boosted by -ate abilities, such as Fake Out and Extreme Speed, and Fighting-type moves that make contact, the latter of which can do massive damage to Dialga. Leech Seed KOes Sturdy Shedinja, who which is an undesirable Pokemon for Dialga to face, and also provides passive healing for Dialga. It can also be used to gain massive amounts of HP if an Imposter user such as Chansey switches in. Recover, or any of its clones, gives Dialga increased longevity via instant recovery, which can be quite more useful over than the slower recovery that Leech Seed provides.

Set Details
==========

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Dialga to do as much damage as possible. Adamant Orb is run to compound increase this damage, boosting Dialga's STAB moves without locking it into a move or making it take recoil. 0 Attack IVs minimize Foul Play damage, and (again, standard) 248 HP EVs limit damage taken from Curse and Spikes. The rest of the EVs are placed in Speed to outspeed uninvested Dialga as well as other uninvested Pokemon with base 90 Speed. (put them somewhere else. anywhere else. 4 EVs are enough for this, and creeping is not allowed, not to mention using yourself as benchmark is pretty iffy to begin with) Tinted Lens is the ability of choice, giving Dialga's STAB moves unresisted coverage. With this ability, very common Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash cannot counter Dialga. Safety Goggles is an alternate option over Adamant Orb that prevents Dialga from being put to sleep by Spore, albeit losing it although it loses some power in the process.

Usage Tips
==========

Doom Desire is most often the best move for Dialga to use when Dialga is not immediately threatened (RC) due to its ability to ignore the effects of various moves (RC) such as Protect, Metal Burst, and Destiny Bond (RC) while also and potentially forcing force a switch. It is important to use Doom Desire before Tail Glow, if you wish to use Tail Glow at all, due to Tail Glow's boosts only being factored in when the move hits. Tail Glow can be used if Dialga forces a switch after using Doom Desire (RC) to deal massive damage even to switch-ins who that resist Doom Desire. Another strategy is to use Doom Desire, then follow up with Draco Meteor, and then switch out; because Dialga's boosts stat changes are reset if it switches out, Doom Desire will use Dialga's unmodified Special Attack rather than the decreased stat that results from using Draco Meteor. Use King's Shield to scout a foe's moves and potentially lower their its Attack. Using Dialga's moveset strategically is key, as you can essentially pick when you want Dialga to sweep, wallbreak, or scout, depending on the scenario. Remove Pokemon with the ability Imposter before trying to sweep unless you have a full counter, in which case Imposter isn't as much of a worry. In addition, it is important to remove Sturdy Shedinja as soon as possible if Dialga does not have Leech Seed, as without it, (AC) Dialga cannot harm Shedinja.

Team Options
==========

Teammates with Mold Breaker are highly recommended for various reasons. The first is that they can provide entry hazard support even against Magic Bounce users, which KOes Sturdy Shedinja when it switches in as well as inflicting chip damage. The second is that the combination of Mold Breaker and Pursuit traps allows them to trap and KOes Sturdy Shedinja, dissuading Shedinja from switching into Doom Desire and punishing it if it does. Lastly, Mold Breaker users cannot have their phazing moves bounced back by Magic Bounce, allowing them to shuffle foes around to take heavy hits from Doom Desire. Examples of good Pokemon to run Mold Breaker include Mega Gengar, Mega Gyarados—who which (proper dash)has the special mention distinction of being able to run any other ability and Mega Evolve to gain Mold Breaker—, and Mega Mewtwo X. A Magnet Pull Fairy-type with Substitute can be used to counter and set up on Pokemon with Imposter who that copy this set, as the Imposter Pokemon will be unable to switch out due to Magnet Pull by preventing it from switching out. A Pokemon with a phazing move who that can take a Draco Meteor or two from Dialga can also be used to deal with Imposter users, as forcing the Imposter Pokemon out makes the Doom Desire use the Imposter Pokemon's Special Attack rather than Dialga's, resulting in paltry amounts of damage. Another Steel-type can be used in conjunction with Dialga to better deal with Pixilate and Refrigerate Pokemon, as Dialga is neutrally affected by Fairy- and Ice-type moves. A Fur Coat Pokemon such as Mega Audino or Giratina can also be run to sponge the Ground- and Fighting-type attacks that Dialga finds undesirable to go up against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==========

There are plenty of alternate options for Dialga's fourth move that can be run. Spiky Shield can be run to block status moves, (AC) unlike King's Shield, (AC) and deal chip damage to the foe if it makes contact, as well as KO Sturdy Shedinja if it uses Endeavor. Magma Storm can be run to deal super effective damage to Steel-types and KO Sturdy Shedinja; while Doom Desire and Draco Meteor do slightly more damage to Steel-types thanks to Tinted Lens, the residual damage is always appreciated. Keep in mind that this makes Dialga harder than it already is to protect against Imposter Pokemon than it already is. Lastly, Spore can be run, as it is almost guaranteed put a foe to sleep; in this case if you opt for this, Safety Goggles is a good item to run to prevent Magic Bounce users from putting Dialga to sleep instead.

A Choice Specs set is an option to make Doom Desire ridiculously high-powered powerful (if you are set on keeping high-powered, remove the hyphen, but to "make" something high powered really rubs me the wrong way cause "high-powered" rather refers to a move's inherent traits afaik) and potentially cripple walls with Trick. The setup sweeper Tinted Lens set is almost always better, however, as Doom Desire is not the best move to be locked into. A Magnet Pull set can be used to lure, trap, and kill KO Imposter users that would normally capitalize on a free Tail Glow. Shell Smash and Judgment can also be run on this set, as well as on the setup sweeper Tinted Lens set, to make killing KOing Imposter users easier.

Checks and Counters
==========

**Magnet Pull Fairy-types**: Fairy-types are immune to Dragon-type moves, and as such the only move Dialga has to hit them with is Doom Desire. Most Magnet Pull Fairy-types capitalize on this, neutering Dialga by using Substitute to block the damage caused by Doom Desire. The most prominent example of a Pokemon who that utilizes this strategy is Xerneas. These are the largest threats to Dialga because they can easily fully set up on Dialga and sweep.

**Sturdy Shedinja**: Sturdy Shedinja walls this set if Dialga doesn't carry Leech Seed or something else that is dedicated to defeating Shedinja, and it can threaten Dialga with Endeavor. Entry hazard support and a teammate with Mold Breaker and Pursuit alleviate this (RC) to an extent.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unaware Pokemon that can reliably take Draco Meteor can switch into Dialga and phaze it out. Keep in mind that they are harder to switch in if Dialga is using Doom Desire (RC) and that the Unaware Pokemon will constantly be hit by unboosted a full-powered Draco Meteor unless they are a Fairy-types, as they are not affected by ignore the stat drops.

**Imposter Pokemon**: Imposter Pokemon can copy this set and threaten to sweep with it. If Dialga is unboosted, this becomes far easier, since as Imposter Chansey can take a few unboosted Draco Meteors, set up a Tail Glow, and sweep. On the other hand, if Dialga has boosted, Imposter becomes a shakier way to deal with it due to how much damage Draco Meteor and Doom Desire deal, requiring the Imposter user to be brought in via a safer method like such as a slow U-turn. Factoring in how Magnet Pull Fairy-types can easily be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter needs to be played smartly in order to deal with Dialga; (SC; this sentence is a bit hard to follow; do you mean something like "Due to the ease with which Magnet Pull Fairy-types can be slapped onto a team to deal with Dialga, Imposter Pokemon need to be played carefully in order to avoid being trapped themselves?") however, (AC) Imposter can easily spell the end for Dialga's team when played as such properly.

GP 2/2
Implemented, the analysis should be complete

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)