[Balanced Hackmons] Mega Mewtwo X [QC:2/3]

QC: Piccolo Daimao / Uselesscrab / X
GP: X / X
Mega Mewtwo X

[OVERVIEW]
With a recognisably large Attack stat, it is no surprise that Mega Mewtwo X is one of the leading physical attackers in Balanced Hackmons. With vast and unpredictable coverage through the utilisation of Protean, it is able deal large amounts of damage to most of the metagame with relative ease. However, such power comes at a cost as it can be difficult to deal with opposing Imposter users which transform into Mega Mewtwo X. It also loses heavily to the few Pokemon that wall it. Ultimately, Mega Mewtwo X is still a powerful tool that can take apart teams when utilised well.

[SET]
Name: Offensive Protean
Move 1: Precipice Blades / Thousand Arrows
Move 2: Bolt Strike / Fusion Bolt
Move 3: V-Create / ExtremeSpeed / Sucker Punch / Draco Meteor
Move 4: King's Shield
Item: Safety Goggles / Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Nature: Jolly / Naive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Precipice Blades provides good and strong coverage that defeats many common Pokemon in the metagame that are weak to Ground, such as Primal Groudon, Mega Diancie and a plethora of defensive Steel-types such as Registeel and Aegislash. Thousand Arrows can also be used as a more accurate option, however the damage output from Precipice Blades is generally more preferable. Bolt Strike is another powerful move that complements Ground-type coverage, allowing Mega Mewtwo X to take out Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre, Mega Slowbro and the occasional Flying-types such as Ho-oh and Yveltal. It is also used to hit Mega Rayquaza hard. Fusion Bolt is a more accurate alternative, however, similarly to Precipice Blades, the damage output from Bolt Strike is usually superior. V-create is useful in demolishing Pokemon that do not resist Fire, however it must be used sparingly as the stat drops can easily be taken advatange of by the opponent. ExtremeSpeed functions as useful priority that works best for picking off weakened Pokemon. Sucker Punch also acts as useful priority for defeating offensive Pokemon that Mega Mewtwo X may struggle to beat, such as Mega Gengar and Protean Mega Mewtwo Y. Draco Meteor hits Giratina sets hard, especially when boosted by a Life Orb, and can efficiently defeat other Dragon types such as Mega Rayquaza. King's Shield is essential, allowing Mega Mewtwo X to take on sets that run super effective priority such as Aerilate, Pixilate or Gale Wings; even if the opponent doesn't not suffer an Attack drop, the Steel typing from Protean allows Mega Mewtwo X to survive priority that it otherwise wouldn't.

Set Details
========
The given EV spread maximises offensive efficiency for Mega Mewtwo X. A Speed-boosting nature is necessary to outspeed everything that it can as not only does Protean render an Attack-boosting nature unnecessary, but the occasional Mega Rayquaza and Mega Diancie that also run Speed-boosting natures can severely dent Mega Mewtwo X, even when its typing is Steel from King's Shield. A Jolly nature is therefore the most practical choice. If Draco Meteor is being used, a Naive nature should be used as it gives Mega Mewtwo X a little insulation from physical priority. The 4 HP EVs should also be moved to Special Attack. Safety Goggles is the safer item choice, allowing Mega Mewtwo X to block Spore from common Prankter users such as Aegislash, but if more power is needed, Life Orb is the best option for boosting the power of all moves.

Usage Tips
========
When facing off priority users, do not be afraid to use King's Shield. It is almost always the safest option, unless it is highly likely your opponent will do something that will be problematic such as boosting stats or switching into another Pokemon that can defeat Mega Mewtwo X.

Team Options
========
The most important is a check to your own Mega Mewtwo X in case an Imposter-user transforms into it. This check may vary depending on the moves that are chosen, however bulky Fur Coat users that do not have a weakness to one of Mega Mewtwo X's moves are generally the best option. A check for Giratina is useful if Mega Mewtwo X does not run Draco Meteor, as it will be hard-walled by Giratina otherwise; examples of Giratina checks include Mega Diancie and Mega Gengar. Sturdy Shedinja hard-walls Mega Mewtwo X as the latter cannot afford to run moves that deal passive damage such as Infestation without severely limiting their coverage, thus strategies that eliminate Shedinja such as Stealth Rock and Pursuit Mold Breaker are recommended. Burns will completely cripple Mega Mewtwo X, thus a status-healing move is recommended on defensive Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Protean can effectively run any move that has a useful function; for example, Play Rough, Icicle Crash and Knock Off can hit non-Fur Coat Giratina sets hard and Crabhammer can guarantee a KO on Primal Groudon. A Refrigerate set can be used to surprise and defeat weak to Ice such as Mega Rayquaza, or frail offensive Pokemon such as Mega Gengar, as well as Giratina sets that don't run Fur Coat. Mold Breaker can be also be used in conjunction with Pursuit to defeat Sturdy Shedinja; Fighting STAB is what gives it a niche over other Mold Breaker users.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Giratina**: Giratina serves as Mega Mewtwo X's greatest check, especially Fur Coat sets; without Draco Meteor, there is nothing that Mega Mewtwo X can do due to the lack of super effective physical coverage available.

**Imposter-users**: The titanic bulk of Imposter-users almost always means that it will defeat Mega Mewtwo X, even if the latter wins the Speed tie. Additionally, if you are unable to check your own Mega Mewtwo X set or the check has fainted, then transformed Imposter-users will be free to sweep.

**Shedinja**: As was already mentioned, Mega Mewtwo X can't afford to run moves that defeat Shedinja without hindering its own coverage against the rest of the metagame.

**Fur Coat**: Also as previously mentioned, if it is a Pokemon that isn't weak to any of Mega Mewtwo X's moves, most bulky Pokemon with Fur Coat can check it, such as Giratina and Mega Audino.

Last edited:
Nice analysis!
In the Overview, please add on to this line: "Easily walled by the things that can wall it." Like I see what you mean but it's not really specific enough

On your Set Comments/Moves, you should elaborate a bit more with each of them (i.e. don't just put in X > Y) For example: King's Shield allows Mewtwo-Mega-X to beat many common -ate users, such as Mega Rayquaza, by changing to Steel type, which resists all -ate attacks. It also cuts the opponent's attack in half if they used a contact move such as Fake Out or Extreme Speed. It's also useful for scouting out your opponent's next attack).
You also might want to add Draco Meteor as a slash somewhere, as it allows Mewtwo to break through Fur Coat Gira

Under Set Details, can you elaborate on the Jolly line? I understand what you mean but I think that people just getting into the tier might not.

Under Team Options, make these into sentences, and elaborate on the Imposter line.

Under Checks and Counters, can you please rephrase the Giratina line? The way you have it makes it sound like there are few physical SE moves that Gira can run

QC 1/3

Nice analysis!
In the Overview, please add on to this line: "Easily walled by the things that can wall it." Like I see what you mean but it's not really specific enough

On your Set Comments/Moves, you should elaborate a bit more with each of them (i.e. don't just put in X > Y) For example: King's Shield allows Mewtwo-Mega-X to beat many common -ate users, such as Mega Rayquaza, by changing to Steel type, which resists all -ate attacks. It also cuts the opponent's attack in half if they used a contact move such as Fake Out or Extreme Speed. It's also useful for scouting out your opponent's next attack).
You also might want to add Draco Meteor as a slash somewhere, as it allows Mewtwo to break through Fur Coat Gira

Under Set Details, can you elaborate on the Jolly line? I understand what you mean but I think that people just getting into the tier might not.

Under Team Options, make these into sentences, and elaborate on the Imposter line.

Under Checks and Counters, can you please rephrase the Giratina line? The way you have it makes it sound like there are few physical SE moves that Gira can run

QC 1/3
Thanks Piccolo, the Draco Meteor calcs are actually better than I thought.

No problem, E4 Flint mentioned that set when I was asking for a Protean MMX set on Showdown. I ended up not running it though because I needed to wall it with my Fur Coat Gira

Set Comments: I second Piccolo's motion. You need to make this a bit more accessible for newer players by simplifying some of the statements you make.

Mention that Sucker Punch's utility comes from being able surprise Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo Y, avoiding a potential speed tie with the former and being outsped by the latter when they are unboosted.

If you do something with Draco Meteor, remember to adjust the nature.

Set Details: Say some potential Spore users you could avoid by running Safety Goggles.

Usage Tips: "Try to hit stuff SE" is not really necessary, since it should be obvious. Also add a mention of being careful against Primal Groudon because it may be Scarf and can kill you if you switch to Steel type with King's Shield.

Other Options: I think this needs to be elaborated a lot, since Mega Mewtwo X can run a lot of other things. As far as moves are concerned, it can run Play Rough, Icicle Crash, or Knock Off to hit non-Fur Coat Giratinas, or Crabhammer to ensure KOs on Primal Groudon. I also think Shift Gear and Coil may deserve a mention here, if you feel like it, though that's ultimately up to you; it makes you harder to wall with Imposters, but also gives you good defensive typing and the potential to break through walls.

QC 2/3

Set Comments: I second Piccolo's motion. You need to make this a bit more accessible for newer players by simplifying some of the statements you make.

Mention that Sucker Punch's utility comes from being able surprise Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo Y, avoiding a potential speed tie with the former and being outsped by the latter when they are unboosted.

If you do something with Draco Meteor, remember to adjust the nature.

Set Details: Say some potential Spore users you could avoid by running Safety Goggles.

Usage Tips: "Try to hit stuff SE" is not really necessary, since it should be obvious. Also add a mention of being careful against Primal Groudon because it may be Scarf and can kill you if you switch to Steel type with King's Shield.

Other Options: I think this needs to be elaborated a lot, since Mega Mewtwo X can run a lot of other things. As far as moves are concerned, it can run Play Rough, Icicle Crash, or Knock Off to hit non-Fur Coat Giratinas, or Crabhammer to ensure KOs on Primal Groudon. I also think Shift Gear and Coil may deserve a mention here, if you feel like it, though that's ultimately up to you; it makes you harder to wall with Imposters, but also gives you good defensive typing and the potential to break through walls.

QC 2/3
Thanks UC, i'll probably leave out boosting moves since IMO the price given to Imposters is not worth it.

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for waiting

Overview:
  • Minor nitpick, but I would change the phrasing of "loses heavily to the Pokemon that wall it" to something more like "can be rendered extremely ineffective" or something similar because the walls usually cannot actively kill it directly, and rely on things like burst

Set Offensive Protean:
  • (optional) I think the name of the set can just be Protean, as there is unlikely a defensive Protean set, much less an M2x one

Moves:
  • (Remove) mentions of Primals
  • (optional) As an OO, U-turn can sometimes be an option for powerful pivoting
  • Mention that Espeed can also overcome -ates and gale wings without having to rely on KS

Set Details:
  • The max speed also lets it speed tie GengarM which can otherwise run circles around M2x, even with KS
  • Naive over Jolly to give insulation (and also increase SpA)
  • Safety Goggles with KS is especially good since KS does not block status and some ates run spore to try to take advantage of this

Team Options:
  • Burn (and Para) cripple Protean M2x (as you lose the advantage of selecting your type in advance)

Other Options:
  • Fighting STAB (and the unrivaled attack stat) lets it be a niche Mold Breaker option
  • Magma Storm can be the one coverage that has decent power and can get Shed
  • (Remove) Mention of Primal Groudon as well as Crabhammer as it is now redundant by Thousand Arrows
  • (optional mention of) PH Coil M2x

Everything else is good

QC3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)