BH Balanced Hackmons

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
So, no promises on this, but I've been thinking about it for a while. I've been considering recording videos of me playing and providing commentary on my matches, the moves I'm making, and so forth. So, just dropping it here out of curiosity to see if there's interest in that sort of thing.
lol yeh hmu we can collab btw

Also PSA, the intro to BH vid with Aki0s is being delayed due to technical difficulties, but soon

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
So, no promises on this, but I've been thinking about it for a while. I've been considering recording videos of me playing and providing commentary on my matches, the moves I'm making, and so forth. So, just dropping it here out of curiosity to see if there's interest in that sort of thing.
Sounds cool, and here's an example from one of the notable members in 1v1 community:

Also I can try finding relevant replays if you need help. Feel free to let me know in profile or others.

Here's a pretty cool set I've been using that takes advantage of some of the goofy behavior of some moves with the -ate abilities. Might move it over to creative/under-rated once I get some replays together.

Landorus (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Galvanize
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Revelation Dance

- Boomburst / Extreme Speed

- Judgment
/
/

- Shell Smash

This is a shell smash sweeper that is entirely imposter proof and also has a couple additional benefits over similar sets. Revelation dance is unaffected by galvanize, so it is ground type. Landorus is immune to this. The strong normal move of your choice will be electric type -- landorus is also immune to this by virtue of its typing. Judgment will be determined by the type of plate you carry, but for imposters it will be electric, so Landorus is also immune. You can either opt for a second STAB here, or go for coverage --whichever your team is less adept at handling. +Spe Nature is unfortunately preferred since you are otherwise slower than +spe primal groudons.

Other options.

• Landorus-Therian: You can also run lando-T and go for a more physical spread. +20Atk for -20Spa and -10 Spe. Still creeps Pdon by 1 base speed. It has the same typing, so it gets the same imposter-proof benefits.
  • Multi-Attack: Instead of Judgement, go for a lower BP physical attack. There aren't many walls in BH that are heavily special over physical, so generally judgement is better.

it would be great if you can show us rare glimpses of the strange fauna inhabiting Low Ladder, and their numerous and unique counters to Spore, as well as the ever-present Zeeveeomancy.
Y'know I didn't really want to dwell on that here, but I hate your proposal so much that I had to address it just in case Rumors thought it might possibly be a good idea. Low ladder BH isn't half as funny or interesting as you might think. Good BH player are pretty much the only ones that can actually provide insights and show a deeper understanding of the metagame and maybe, just maybe, try to debunk the misconception that BH is a no skill tier where the most random unexpected shit wins. Any randy can do what you described and they can do that on pretty much any ladder with little differences. I'm not gonna start getting into a comedy elitist rant about what constitutes a good meme, but "lol, random" is really not funny and gets tired after like, a fraction of a second.

You won't teach BH or make ppl interested in it by pointing at it and giggling.

Reactions: Ren
Here's a pretty cool set I've been using that takes advantage of some of the goofy behavior of some moves with the -ate abilities. Might move it over to creative/under-rated once I get some replays together.

Landorus (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Galvanize
Naive Nature
- Revelation Dance

- Boomburst / Extreme Speed

- Judgment
/
/

- Shell Smash

This is a shell smash sweeper that is entirely imposter proof and also has a couple additional benefits over similar sets. Revelation dance is unaffected by galvanize, so it is ground type. Landorus is immune to this. The strong normal move of your choice will be electric type -- landorus is also immune to this by virtue of its typing. Judgment will be determined by the type of plate you carry, but for imposters it will be electric, so Landorus is also immune. You can either opt for a second STAB here, or go for coverage --whichever your team is less adept at handling. +Spe Nature is unfortunately preferred since you are otherwise slower than +spe primal groudons.

Other options.

• Landorus-Therian: You can also run lando-T and go for a more physical spread. +20Atk for -20Spa and -10 Spe. Still creeps Pdon by 1 base speed. It has the same typing, so it gets the same imposter-proof benefits.
  • Multi-Attack: Instead of Judgement, go for a lower BP physical attack. There aren't many walls in BH that are heavily special over physical, so generally judgement is better.
Honestly I've tried Landorus, almost this exact set actually, but the sad truth is that his stats just aren't big enough for current BH standard. No matter how niche and cool his typing is, it still loses to everything, doesn't break any wall, and I still don't think you should use it, ever.

Try galv primal groudon instead.

Honestly I've tried Landorus, almost this exact set actually, but the sad truth is that his stats just aren't big enough for current BH standard. No matter how niche and cool his typing is, it still loses to everything, doesn't break any wall, and I still don't think you should use it, ever.

Try galv primal groudon instead.
I don't think it's accurate to say it doesn't break any walls.

+2 252 SpA Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 416-492 (103.2 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Icicle Plate Landorus Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 392-464 (61.6 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thick fat meta here we come

+2 252 SpA Galvanize Landorus Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre-Primal: 378-446 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 306-362 (64.1 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Galvanize Landorus Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Gyarados-Mega: 294-348 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Can't break mega audino.

And lol galv p-don is super niche. it just gets smushed by Zygod, aka, THE wall of the meta. The whole benefit of this set is that you can run STAB, the -ate coverage AND a secondary STAB or coverage of your choice, which makes it considerably harder to wall. Ground + Electric is pretty decent attacking coverage for the meta. Being able to bop whatever you please with a judgement/multi-attack of your choice is very strong.

Last edited:
Whoo boy, a lot more response than I expected. I may have to go for it. Though, I'll need to look into free recording and editing software first. For typical stuff, I'm thinking about doing a segment explaining the team I'm going to use and then commentate on a few battles with it, broken up into a few videos probably because if people are like me they generally don't want to sit and watch a YouTube video for 30 mins or so.

ElMustacho Mostly "live" battles with commentary and perhaps in-depth overviews of the teams I'm using. Though maybe doing past gen BH battles on occasion to showcase what stuff used to be like could be neat and would certainly need help.

motherlove Yeah, I'm thinking largely YouTube (are Pokemon Videos a separate thing?)

Phat Albert Eh, the low ladder sometimes has interesting things, but there's lots of crap to dreg through. If you really wanna see it, you can see if you can find the "Silly Things You've Seen in Other Metas" topic, which has gobs of low ladder replays from a variety of OMs. Besides, I'm sure I'll run into the crap in a video sooner or later anyway. Maybe I might do some low ladder games to explain why the sets I'm encountering don't really work, but I'm not certain on that.

RNGIsCancer Amusing video, but not quite what I'd be looking to do regularly. Kinda thinking more like what StoneWall008 does for League of Legends (I don't play for serious, but his commentary is both entertaining and insightful, so he's a good watch.) Or maybe this old video I unknowingly appeared in back in 2013, when I was noobier, willing to do some really, really weird experiments on established alts, and actually spent most of my time over 1800 on the ladder.

And now for something different...

Landorus stuff: Lando is largely outclassed by most Ground types, as Motherlove pointed out. It does have niche in its typing, but you really gotta work to have your team need that niche over a more general Ground-type. I'm reminded of an old Imposter-proof Gen V Lando-T set I'm a bit fond of that was Earthquake, Bolt Strike, Shift Gear/Swords Dance, and Leech Seed. It'd probably be fairly effective right now in the right circumstances, but I've not been able to justify its presence on a serious team since X/Y, unfortunately.

I'd probably say either Lando is an extreme niche Pokemon for BH. Usable, but 98% of the time there'll be better options. Maybe the team you have it on is that 2% where it is the best choice? Dunno, but it won't really function well on most. :/

Whoo boy, a lot more response than I expected. I may have to go for it. Though, I'll need to look into free recording and editing software first. For typical stuff, I'm thinking about doing a segment explaining the team I'm going to use and then commentate on a few battles with it, broken up into a few videos probably because if people are like me they generally don't want to sit and watch a YouTube video for 30 mins or so.

ElMustacho Mostly "live" battles with commentary and perhaps in-depth overviews of the teams I'm using. Though maybe doing past gen BH battles on occasion to showcase what stuff used to be like could be neat and would certainly need help.

motherlove Yeah, I'm thinking largely YouTube (are Pokemon Videos a separate thing?)

Phat Albert Eh, the low ladder sometimes has interesting things, but there's lots of crap to dreg through. If you really wanna see it, you can see if you can find the "Silly Things You've Seen in Other Metas" topic, which has gobs of low ladder replays from a variety of OMs. Besides, I'm sure I'll run into the crap in a video sooner or later anyway. Maybe I might do some low ladder games to explain why the sets I'm encountering don't really work, but I'm not certain on that.

RNGIsCancer Amusing video, but not quite what I'd be looking to do regularly. Kinda thinking more like what StoneWall008 does for League of Legends (I don't play for serious, but his commentary is both entertaining and insightful, so he's a good watch.) Or maybe this old video I unknowingly appeared in back in 2013, when I was noobier, willing to do some really, really weird experiments on established alts, and actually spent most of my time over 1800 on the ladder.

And now for something different...

Landorus stuff: Lando is largely outclassed by most Ground types, as Motherlove pointed out. It does have niche in its typing, but you really gotta work to have your team need that niche over a more general Ground-type. I'm reminded of an old Imposter-proof Gen V Lando-T set I'm a bit fond of that was Earthquake, Bolt Strike, Shift Gear/Swords Dance, and Leech Seed. It'd probably be fairly effective right now in the right circumstances, but I've not been able to justify its presence on a serious team since X/Y, unfortunately.

I'd probably say either Lando is an extreme niche Pokemon for BH. Usable, but 98% of the time there'll be better options. Maybe the team you have it on is that 2% where it is the best choice? Dunno, but it won't really function well on most. :/
I wasn't serious about playing low ladder, but I do think it would be nice to see some commentary on high ladder games.

Duckymomo Senior

Banned deucer.
Gengar is really good even without gengarite. Entrainment normalize gengar is just awesome at sweeping from my experience. This thing might even be more powerful than Pogre. Here is the set:
Get In The Bag (Gengar-Mega) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Normalize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Entrainment
- Shell Smash
- Judgment
- Boomburst
This thing is unstoppable after you've killed any magic bouncers and if they don't run triple Revelation Dance like Quantum Tesseract.
Basically u just use entrainment then they do nothing. Then u smash and proceed to kill everything. If u can ohko a mon that comes in do it because they might have spore or revelation dance or some shit like that. Also beware of switcheroo and judgment which will just completely destroy this set. It's good to scout out magic bouncers and plates before attempting to sweep with this set so u don't fuck up. If u see an arceus, just switch out. The good news is it is completely imposter proof so it can fit o pretty much any team. It has very high reward with low risk. I would recommend this set to anyone looking for a special attacking sweeper.
Here are some replays demonstrating the awesomeness of normalize gengar.
vs. Poliwag_PM http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-571630968
vs. Arifeen http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-570057306
vs. Haylighter http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-553695706
Gengarite Gengar is also really fun
vs. QT https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-572231398

Last edited:
ˆwith normalize gengar, you actually can be overprepared by running multiple type-based moves, magic bounce and unexpected status, even if you run offense.
with something like regigigas outside of sleep clause, there is only a very limited number of ways you can build a otherwise viable team that can laugh at it and say “lol you know everyone has counters for this old krap now right” like people have expressed against my various shell smashers, gengar and unbirden stuff.
regigigas outside of sleep clause singlehandedly invalidates offense as a playstyle

regigigas outside of sleep clause singlehandedly invalidates offense as a playstyle
Kartana can switch in on a Spore and OHKO:

252 Atk Choice Band Technician Kartana Storm Throw vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas on a critical hit: 418-494 (98.5 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas in Grassy Terrain: 420-495 (99 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Or you could just give Safety Goggles or Magic Bounce to Mewtwo:
252 Atk Technician Mewtwo-Mega-X Storm Throw vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas on a critical hit: 438-516 (103.3 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 468-550 (110.3 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 426-504 (100.4 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ˆwith normalize gengar, you actually can be overprepared by running multiple type-based moves, magic bounce and unexpected status, even if you run offense.
with something like regigigas outside of sleep clause, there is only a very limited number of ways you can build a otherwise viable team that can laugh at it and say “lol you know everyone has counters for this old krap now right” like people have expressed against my various shell smashers, gengar and unbirden stuff.
Eh, Regigigas can't really run that many set variations without being sub optimal. So you really only have to prepare for Facade / Koff / Spore / Shift Gear. A bunch of PH mons with a better type matchup can check it pretty hard like mmx or ttar and other than that you can try more creative solution like magic guard diancie, offensive mb dialga, Coil PH Don or most kartana sets which is the kind of thing you can afford to run on offence. Other than that a lot of steel types give gigas a really hard time and just replacing your regenvest solgaleo with a regenvest steelix would make your match up infinitely better.

I think there are ways if you get creative a little.

ye but that requires you to run kartana without unburden or steelworker
and that makes kartana deadweight most of the time
You can run steelworker, Tinted, speed boost or triage, none of which are awful. Slap a z move on it and bam, you have a decent wallbreaker.

ye but that requires you to run kartana without unburden or steelworker
and that makes kartana deadweight most of the time
Technician Gear Grind hits as hard as Steelworker Sunsteel against everything except Fur Coat, Unaware, and Sturdinja. And if you want to run Belly Drum Unburden on Kartana, go ahead, you can use Regigigas as setup fodder.

chartung17 Altough Kartana resists Facade, it takes a lot of damage from it, maybe too much for a Belly Drum. Also, beware of Spectral Thief, which is a perfectly viable alternative to Koff on Regigigas, especially when you play Koff on another team member, so that you're still able to remove annoying safety gogggles.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Technician Gear Grind hits as hard as Steelworker Sunsteel against everything except Fur Coat, Unaware, and Sturdinja. And if you want to run Belly Drum Unburden on Kartana, go ahead, you can use Regigigas as setup fodder.
i think other then being able to run bonemerang, steelworker sunsteel strike is better then techy gear grind due to accuracy issues on top of the "mold breaker" aspect, on top of this, there arent many moves that are beneficial for a technician mon, as there are good coverage options available regardless...precipice is only 30 points under techy bone, and grass isnt really bursting with technician-boosted attacks. kartana doesnt mind just spamming sunsteel strike anyways, so its not like its missing anything. and lastly, the meta heavily favors kartana's steel typing, as most walls are not resistant to it, and the ones who are tend to be specially based. pdon is a problem still...but pdon beats you either way so its a lost cause regardless. not saying tech is bad, but id take inaccurate coverage(precipice) over inaccurate stab (gear grind) with the benefit of not worrying about practically ANY walls/pivots, at the cost of minor coverage power any day..especially when those numbers are a LOT smaller then it looks.

its one of those "on paper" things that sounds better in theory, then you take a look at the results and see how small details completely change its effectiveness.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
double posting because its irrelivant to my previous post and its been a day, (and im a like whore luv me pplz ;~;) im going to bring up a set i ran in 6th gen on my xatu teams that literally carried them 99% of the time, and has came back better then ever:

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil / Shift gear /Swords dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

this mewtwo is not to be underestimated. the sheer amount of pokemon and sets it shuts down is completely crazy. this mon becomes a absolute terror if you let it get in unscathed, and it will prove to be the biggest annoyance in your life. you NEED powerful special attacks to stop it. otherwise mewtwo is free to burn, damage, set up, or remove their items, all while mewtwo can safely recover its hp back via PH, drain punch, and the additional physical bulk coil/burn gives. the biggest upside, is this thing is imposter proof. and sending imp in only nabs you a free burn. AND, this mon works in ALL playstyles. not to mention, what seperates mm2 from other PHers is the fact that its fast, offensive, and still manages to be tanky enough to soak hits. im more fond of coil for the additional tankyness it gives to help vs imposter in "unfavorable burn" scenarios, but shift gear/swords dance is a fine alternative and can easily patch the weakness up by just running a PH/bounce xern if pesky imposters start lucking you. you can run spore/lovely kiss if you want, but ive found mewtwo hits chansey pretty pathetically without burns chip damage, so chansey will often break past with a crit and it creates a unnecessary stall war just to risk a 40/60 chance to beat imposter. wisp fully stops imposter, and gives similar team utility(seriously dont underestimate the power of completely crippling physical attackers), but both have their uses. ive just found wisp gave me more "General utility" over spore/lovely kiss

some common mons/abilities/moves this thing has issues with is:
xern- yeah...fairies. xern is really the only common fairy this thing has 100% trouble with, and most run bounce or PH, so its practically anti-mewtwo. no idea why My little pony deer beats a damn genetically mutated super saiyan cat but who the hell knows.

poison healers- not exactly a counter, as even stuff like primal ogre has to be weary of +1 drain punches overwhelming it. but, especially defensive ones like giratina, audino, xern, and zygarde post a massive issue for mm2, as they all carry ways of nullifying its usefulness, and can often shut it down before it can try to set up. that battle would truly make Brittany Spears proud.

core enforcer- literally every mon that runs core enforcer will scare this mewtwo. nothing more to say. this move lives up to its name. its core purpose is that it enforces the removal of all PH mons but xern.

special attackers- kyogre, mewtwo y, and ray are the "main three" to worry about, kyogre can tank drain punches from mewtwo, and can 2hko mewtwo with +1 moon blast, mewtwo can outpower mewtwo, these two can actually lose to mewtwo though, but ray with triage completely shafts mewtwo. but why you would keep a mewtwo in on a fucking mega-rayquaza is beyond me.

zygarde- yeah...the literal fucking physical wall itself. what did you expect. burning it wont do jack shit but force it to recover a bit more, and zyggy as a wall doesnt care about attacking much anyways. if zyggy lacks phasing, perish, or core enforcer it practically crumbles to mewtwo though, so its not entirely hopeless for it. it goes from fighting a bear with your hands tied down, to fighting a bear with a pair of mittens.

giratina-see: zygarde, you would think "knock off tho", but either they run griseus, fur coat, or they just phase you away/core enforce you. PH and bounce are really the "hopeless matchups" though. if they lack these moves, gira becomes a cakewalk though. yeeeah dont do it, last time i tried to kill a demonic lord banished to another dimension with my mutated cat, it didn't go too well.

Gengar- yeah, another 50/50. win the speed tie, win the fight. lose the speed tie, lose the fight. simple as that. have YOU ever tried to teach your cat to punch an item out of a ghosts hand?

seriously though, its a fun set. and effective so try it!

I've seen a few Shuckles running around and I'm confused why. 20/230/230 is good bulk but it's not unstoppable:

252+ SpA Mewtwo-Mega-X Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Shuckle in Psychic Terrain: 130-154 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 160-189 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Shuckle: 195-229 (79.9 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252- SpA Galvanize Zekrom Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Shuckle: 99-117 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 178-210 (72.9 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Besides that, Shuckle has the worst speed tier of any pokemon which could ostensibly be useful in bh, meaning that Contrary users get another turn to use another Superpower or Draco Meteor or whatever, Taunt users get a turn to stop you doing anything (unless you're Magic Bounce and they're not Mold Breaker), stats you, get up rocks, et cetera, et cetera. Turns are important.

But here's the thing that got me the most: impostors. If you don't impostor-proof your set*, your opponent has a good chance of switching in and getting a pokemon which instead of having 20/230/230 bulk, having 250/230/230 bulk with Eviolite. Unless you can design your set so that an impostoring Chansey can do nothing, you've got a pokemon that can wall just about anything.

+6 252+ SpA Rayquaza-Mega Oblivion Wing vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Shuckle: 207-244 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Shuckle: 297-351 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Shuckle in Psychic Terrain: 87-103 (12.3 - 14.6%) -- possible 7HKO
+6 252+ SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Shuckle in Psychic Terrain: 577-679 (81.9 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Shuckle in Psychic Terrain: 145-172 (20.5 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

*which might prove difficult for a non-offensive mon

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Shuckle is also just... not that bulky. Cress is bulkier, and therefore so is Tina, Zyggy, Audino...
The only niche Shuckle has is that it gains a proportionally high amount of HP from Leech Seed, but this isn't worth the mediocre typing, passiveness, low speed, and susceptibility to Taunt - and you can't fix all of these issues with one set (inb4 Prankster Z-conversion Subseed with Taunt. why does this sound like a god tier set).
tl;dr don't use Shuckle

252 SpA Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Shuckle: 115-136 (47.1 - 55.7%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Audino-Mega (neutral typing): 183-216 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Cresselia: 178-211 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 106-126 (43.4 - 51.6%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega: 169-199 (41.2 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cresselia: 175-207 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
Some chatter about Kyo-P in the suspect thread got me thinking of a way to help it more reliably nuke as hard as Primal Don without setting up. An idea came to me, but I don't really want to tool around with it right now since I'd need a whole new team to support it, but at the same time wanted to share my thoughts. Basically...

Kyogre-Primal @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest or Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Coverage / Back-up STAB
- Coverage / Trick
- Pivot / Coverage

*I manually typed that, so no promises any of it will import correctly.

Kyo-P's strongest move is Water Spout, but it needs high HP to use it well. Regenerator helps keeps the HP high over the course of the match. Specs helps break walls, Scarf for deleting offensive Pokemon and fast and fragile supports. Still lacks the power of Banded Desolate Land V-Create from P.Don, but, on paper, it should let Kyo-P be a hard hitting offensive pivot without worrying too much about taking a hit at least. Should be a nice surprise to an opponent expecting a gently hitting Regenvest or Fur Coat Kyogre.

If anyone does anything successful with this idea, I've love to hear about it.

Some chatter about Kyo-P in the suspect thread got me thinking of a way to help it more reliably nuke as hard as Primal Don without setting up. An idea came to me, but I don't really want to tool around with it right now since I'd need a whole new team to support it, but at the same time wanted to share my thoughts. Basically...

Kyogre-Primal @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest or Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Coverage / Back-up STAB
- Coverage / Trick
- Pivot / Coverage

*I manually typed that, so no promises any of it will import correctly.

Kyo-P's strongest move is Water Spout, but it needs high HP to use it well. Regenerator helps keeps the HP high over the course of the match. Specs helps break walls, Scarf for deleting offensive Pokemon and fast and fragile supports. Still lacks the power of Banded Desolate Land V-Create from P.Don, but, on paper, it should let Kyo-P be a hard hitting offensive pivot without worrying too much about taking a hit at least. Should be a nice surprise to an opponent expecting a gently hitting Regenvest or Fur Coat Kyogre.

If anyone does anything successful with this idea, I've love to hear about it.
That looks like a really cool set that even has some defensive utility depending on what you put in your many fillers and with trick it can even do an okayish job of checking normalise mega gengar. (Or just run Revelation Dance as well.)
The problem I can see you having is imposter can probably switch in really easily on most of your moves (especially if they don't fear trick) and get back some HP every time which can be incredibly annoying unless every other of your mons is 100% imposterproof.

Edit: on second thoughts you could run nuzzle to cripple any potential imposter (or most other) switchins and imposterproof with a banded desolate land pdon or something but just theorymoning at this point.

Edit 2.0: ok so I got round to doing some calcs, and it turns out it isn't really doing much. For example scarf sets at full HP fail to secure a kill on mega gengar, which was the frailest relevant mon I could think of, let alone killing the bulkier mmy etc.
With specs it's not quite so bad, but against certain common walls it doesn't really have the sheer power needed to break through - for example doing 41.8% when modest max to giratina - and that's not taking into account that you often need to take a hit first which completely neuters you but with appropriate coverage and predicts this could put in some work. Although it does 2HKO regenvest solgaleo which is nice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)