Balls to the Walls (Heavy Offense)

Hey all. This is my 3rd RMT since I signed up towards the tail end of gen 5. In my last RMT I was using a sun abusing Charizard-Y team with Charizard, Venusaur, Latias, Rhyperior, Genesect, and Cloyster. This team evolved from that one and while I'm still using Charizard-Y, the cast around him has completely changed.

I was using Rhyperior as my main Talonflame counter and I eventually switched to Landorus-T as a generally more all-purpose physical pivot. The team also really appreciated the additional U-turn support.

Latias was replaced with Mandibuzz because even though Healing Wish is like my favorite move Latias was not as successful at defogging hazards away as I thought Mandibuzz would be, and it gave me a ghost resist that I didn't have before.

Venusaur became SubPunch Breloom which I loved because of how easy it turned out to be to set up with and it also helped take care of Chansey/Blissey.

Genesect became mixed Aegislash because I just wanted to try it and wanted to kind of get ready for suspect. So the second version of the team I laddered looked like this:

Charizard-Y, Breloom, Mandibuzz, Landorus-T, Aegislash, and Cloyster.

I'm a cloyster fanboy because she looks so sweet and can really turn a game around if you get rid of bulky waters and steel types, but I realized for the team to get better I was going to need to get my ice stab and my back up hazard removal from something else. So I picked this ugly motherfucker

Using this thing gave me the blood lust. My team functioned well, but I wanted more power. So I replaced Mandibuzz with LatiOs and Breloom (rip Master Splinter) with Scizor so I could get that TurnTurn.

GaryTheGengar imparted wisdom upon me and told me to switch Scizor out for a Bisharp of my own which has been working great. I also changed my Charizard and Lando sets with suggestions from AustinJ and garythegengar. Charizard's gone from hasty to timid with dragon pulse over hp ice and Lando now knows rock slide over knock off.

So as it stands here is my team:

I've been considering bringing either Breloom or Mandibuzz back for a dark resist since Bisharp fucks me deeply in the anus. Other offensive teams give this one a run for its money, but most stall teams on the ladder don't stand a chance.

Here are the sets:

DDX (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse

This fucking guy, wow. The set is pretty standard. Sun boosted fire blast pretty much gets the job done though. i tried the mixed set with flare blitz for a while and i just didn't get to use it much and didn't like it. testing dragon pulse over hp ice now and may test roost after to give me a chance vs bisharp's mindgames.

Donny Barbados(Bisharp) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

i used to fear this thing, i still do, but per garythegengar i've added it to my team with the exact set he suggested and it works great. the pressure this thing in combo with aegislash put on the opposing team make it pretty easy for me to keep my rocks up. this is the first time i've used a pokemon with pursuit and i LOVE it. knock off, sucker punch, and iron head are all standard.

Booty Clapper (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 88 Def / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

My rock setter, my physical pivot, my thing knockoffer, my fuckin dawg, lando-t. I put very little thought into the EVs, I did it from memory from a double dance set ojama (ggolbat thing) used in gen 5 which is totally retarded since this isn ot a double dance landorus and it isn't even the same, but that's what I did. U-Turn is clutch and the pressure from STAB EQ helps me fire off hazards.

Pinocchio (Aegislash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

soooo standard but it's another mixed attacker which i realize is the key to getting past stall it seems. immune to toxic, doesn't give a fuck about a thunder wave, and it's got mixed ghost fighting coverage plus priority. king's shield is really handy too, making it a not so hopeless match up in case i have this dude left against a really dumb talonflame.

Soul Plane (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

i can't get enough defog. though i miss healing wish from latias and the dark resist from mandibuzz, the power this thing has helps ease the pain. latios has good offensive synergy with Mega Charizard-Y besides.

King Cold (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

charizard and kyu-b's movesets TEAR UP FWG cores. standard moveset but not the standard EV build as boring as it is. anyway, i wasn't looking at the board when i decided to add kyu-b and just went max bulk and max spa with a - atk nature. i've even thought about going -spe. i love the bulk on this thing and its subs. i should try the standard set and see how that does for me but this thing hasn't seemed to need fixing. this team isn't top tier though so if you think it needs some fixing please say something you're probably right.

Threatlist:
BISHARP
SCARFCHOMP
charizard x
charizard y

i'm not that good at teambuilding but i think this has potential. please help me beat the threats!!!

i don't play that much because i have an unreliable connection at work where i am most of the time but i will post some of the better replays here later. this was my ou suspect team where it had a 72% win-lose ratio. this team had a 68% win-ratio in regular OU across all of its variations.

REPLAYS (need to get a few more with this incarnation of the team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-95011788 don't know why i went from 1600 to 1599 at the beginning of this match
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-94638323 if he would have switched his scarfchomp to bisharp when i switched my latios to landorus-t i'm positive i would have lost.
http://replay.pokemo...com/ou-93419928 i should've never bothered defogging. played like butt but i got lucky. i think my nickname for my charizard fucked this guy up.

IMPORTABLE:
Code:
DDX (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse

Donny Barbados (Bisharp) (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Booty Clapper (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 88 Def / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Pinocchio (Aegislash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Soul Plane (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

King Cold (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm going to spare you some annoying introductory sentence and get right to the team rating.
Before we begin: "I've been considering bringing either Breloom or Mandibuzz back for a dark resist since Bisharp fucks me deeply in the anus." Both of these are dark resists, Mandibuzz by virtue of its dark typing and Breloom by virtue of its fighting typing.

Now, let's begin.
Maybe it's just me, but I highly disagree teams that are "stall break or very successful vs stall" and don't have ONE setup sweeper. To help deal with your problems with other offensive teams and your goal of stall breaking, here is a set I would advise.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy/Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake/Fire Punch (latter to deal with skarmory)
-Extremespeed/Steel Wing (latter to deal with fairies)
Max investment speed and attack: Jolly
Now, that leaves two team members on your team 4x weak to ice (not counting those 2x weak). I realize that is a problem. Here is my advice: Get rid of Latios. I don't know what a stall breaking team is using defog for. If you really need it, put it on your charizard over earthquake (and if you want switch out HP ice for HP ground to deal with heatran). Not having a + speed nature is a problem for MegaZardY based on personal experience, so getting rid of your one physical attack lets you run timid, a huge boon.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 212-252 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I like the sound of that. It's not like earthquake can OHKO or anything, leaving HP ground hugely superior.

4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery'

Now, what to replace latios with. I would recommend this utility froslass set.
Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Destiny Bond
Frost Breath
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting
max invest speed and special attack, timid nature

Some calcs that prove its effectiveness:
252 SpA Froslass Hidden Power Fighting vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 256-304 (94.1 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
If you want to ensure the OHKO on Bisharp, use modest.
252+ SpA Froslass Hidden Power Fighting vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 280-332 (102.9 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You do need timid to outspeed max speed Timid/Jolly Mega Charizard (both) and hit them with that surprise destiny bond, so that's a tough call. Keep in mind that neither of them use priority.

As a final note, there is a pokemon that you may have forgotten on the threat list: Scrafty. I won't even acknowledge the fact that it has dragon dance:
252+ Atk Scrafty High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 362-428 (92.3 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Scrafty Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 270-318 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Scrafty Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 390-458 (120.3 - 141.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(If it uses king's shield and switches to shield, use dragon dance. BTW, consider Weakness Policy Aegislash)
+1 252+ Atk Scrafty Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 236-278 (72.8 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 204-244 (53.4 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Scrafty High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 181-214 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Scrafty Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 138-163 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO
It can 2HKO your entire team without boosts with ease, except for mega charizard y.

Happy Teambuilding!

thanks for taking a look RP.

defog is to keep hazards off of my side of the field, since my two main wallbreakers are both weak to it (doubly so in charizard's case.) i'd rather not use defog on charizard because he's one of the pokemon i'm trying to clear hazards to support. rapid spin support would be great instead, but i haven't been able to think of a good spinner that would fit on this team.

hasty and timid are both +spe natures but i do think i want to try switching natures just to have a little more physical bulk. a timid eq and a hasty eq both 2hko heatran. for that reason i don't want to switch to hidden power ground. i know it plays off its much higher special stat but eq hits heatran just as hard, and if i used hp ground i couldn't use hp ice.

trading latios for froslass would be trading hazard removal for another sr weakness. it's kind of a cool set but i don't see how it gets past bisharp other than on the switch, which by that mentality i already have answers to bisharp, since it's weak to dark and bisharp will get past it using sucker punch.

you're right about scrafty, i remember that one of my first losses was actually to a dragon dance scrafty when i was using an earlier version of the team. other than like mandibuzz and tyranitar dark types tend to pose a threat to my team.

i think you're onto something with suggesting a set up sweeper. it does do well aginst stall without it because of great offensive synergy and 4 mixed attackers (counting latios in that,) but it does lack a primary win condition. if i were to take your suggestion of fitting a dragonite (which would be another sr weakness) in what would you reccomend i remove for it?

Last edited:
Well, this seems to be going quite well. The reason I suggest removing defoggers and placing in stealth rock weak pokemon is because I personally do not believe in their importance. My current OU team has 5 (5!) Stealth Rock weak pokemon (two 4x weak, two 2x weak, and one neutral to it), and I do not use any hazards myself. As for other hazards, the only one that I think could be any sort of an issue is toxic spikes. For that you could run a poison type, I don't currently know which one. I have decided to play five OU battles as of this moment, and this is how much each hazard appears.

SR: I
Toxic Spikes: 0
Spikes: I
Stick Web: 0

This means that Stealth Rock (and Spikes, but who cares really) appeared on 20% of teams. Gengar is used on 20 percent of teams (more actually: 20.89680%). I do not believe that you should devote a large part of your team to stopping Stealth Rock or Gengar. Again, it's just my person opinion.

As for Dragonite, here is what I would do. I highly do not recommend Defog and Stealth Rock on a team, so I would take defog off of Scizor and put in Bug Bite (boosted by technician). I would then take out Latios and either put in the aforementioned Dragonite or a rapid spinner. For a spinner, I would recommend Smeargle. (Froslass doesn't seem to be the right fit for you.)

Smeargle @ Focus sash
-Rapid Spin
-Destiny Bond
-Sacred Fire/Will-O-Wisp/Counter
-Bullet Punch/Fake Out/Encore/Foul Play/Mirror Coat
252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Atk (Jolly)
Sacred Fire is listed because it still has that 50% chance to burn, can do damage (not much more than break sashes, but it's something), and bypasses taunt. Bullet Punch and Fake Out are for defeating pokemon that are at 1HP from Sturdy or a Sash. Encore and Foul Play are pretty useful overall and CounterCoat pairs nicely with Focus Sash when there aren't any hazards around.

Feel free to consider this!

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
cool team bro. i don't think you need two users of defog as long as you keep up reasonable offensive pressure. I'd use stone edge or rock slide over knock off on landorus for coverage on mega pinsir and talonflame. I'd also suggest using max hp, leftovers aegislash. you trade off a stronger shadow sneak and sacred sword which only gains coverage on chansey with max attack for much more bulk and the ability to be a great defensive pivot. Try a spread of 56 hp / 216 spatk / 236 speed with a rash nature on kyurem-b. you get 405 hp subs so they arent broken by a seismic toss and a harder hitting fusion bolt. Finally, I'd replace scizor with bisharp. sharp is great with zard-y as it traps zards best switchins latios and latias. it can also fuck with chansey and is just a great pokemon for fighting against the omnipresent defog. It also grants you an important ghost resist. Good luck!

bisharp
Bisharp @ Black Glasses / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Well, this seems to be going quite well. The reason I suggest removing defoggers and placing in stealth rock weak pokemon is because I personally do not believe in their importance. My current OU team has 5 (5!) Stealth Rock weak pokemon (two 4x weak, two 2x weak, and one neutral to it), and I do not use any hazards myself. As for other hazards, the only one that I think could be any sort of an issue is toxic spikes. For that you could run a poison type, I don't currently know which one. I have decided to play five OU battles as of this moment, and this is how much each hazard appears.

SR: I
Toxic Spikes: 0
Spikes: I
Stick Web: 0

This means that Stealth Rock (and Spikes, but who cares really) appeared on 20% of teams. Gengar is used on 20 percent of teams (more actually: 20.89680%). I do not believe that you should devote a large part of your team to stopping Stealth Rock or Gengar. Again, it's just my person opinion.

As for Dragonite, here is what I would do. I highly do not recommend Defog and Stealth Rock on a team, so I would take defog off of Scizor and put in Bug Bite (boosted by technician). I would then take out Latios and either put in the aforementioned Dragonite or a rapid spinner. For a spinner, I would recommend Smeargle. (Froslass doesn't seem to be the right fit for you.)

Smeargle @ Focus sash
-Rapid Spin
-Destiny Bond
-Sacred Fire/Will-O-Wisp/Counter
-Bullet Punch/Fake Out/Encore/Foul Play/Mirror Coat
252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Atk (Jolly)
Sacred Fire is listed because it still has that 50% chance to burn, can do damage (not much more than break sashes, but it's something), and bypasses taunt. Bullet Punch and Fake Out are for defeating pokemon that are at 1HP from Sturdy or a Sash. Encore and Foul Play are pretty useful overall and CounterCoat pairs nicely with Focus Sash when there aren't any hazards around.

Feel free to consider this!
Actually don't do this. Stealth rocks and defog/rapid spin are very important to have and keep off residual damage, especially considering that you have Charizard Y and SR is great in general, especially for things like Talonflame, Volcarona, opposing Charizards. Also, of all the rapid spinners you can choose... Don't choose Smeragle -_-. It is so weak that it can easily get its sash broken from entry hazards and OHKOed by any priority. Excadrill and Starmie are both much better options as rapid spinners. Scrafty is rarely seen in OU so you shouldn't worry too much about it, in the worse case, you can revenge kill it.

Anyways..
On Charizard, I'd recommend dragon pulse over HP Ice. Dragon pulse 2HKO the Lati@s after SR and offers good neutral coverage while being stronger than HP. If im not mistaken, Lando and gliscor are OHKOed by Fire Blast or Solar Beam. Run timid over hasty as well because EQ is a 2HKO on heatran either way and the little bit of added bulk is nice. The 4 atk EVs can go in Def or SpD. I also agree with GaryTheGengar, Charizard pairs nicely with Bisharp as Bisharp can deal with the Latis and Chansey.

Last edited:
made a lot of the changes y'all suggested. so far, they've definitely been for the better. i've identified new threats to the team however and i'm hoping someone can help me think of a way to get past them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)