SM OU Battle a friend

I have no idea what team my friend is bringing, but does anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this team? This team is fitted for Smogon OU format.

Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Return
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Bewear is the heart and soul of my team. I was looking through the dex for fun to see if there was anything new and interesting I could try building. I decided on Bewear due to its high bulk and power, not to mention it looks adorable! Since I'm not worried about speed because it's low anyways, hammer arm is a great stab move with high power! Return is another crazy high power stab move as another option. Earthquake is simply for coverage with base 100 to take out things Hammer Arm and Return can't, and Ice Punch is the final move for coverage. Fluffy is a fantastic ability that adds to its natural bulk, and the assault vest is to give it even more bulk.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Skarmory is here simply to mess with the opponent, and also take out any fighting types that threaten Bewear. The main point of Skarmory is to set up hazards and whirlwind forever and stick around as long as it can. I also liked the idea of a steel type on my team. They're actually my favorite type! And I've never actually used or trained Skarmory at all, so I figured it would be fun to try out as many new things as I can. And a strong OU Skarmory definitely fits the bill as a trolly hazard setter.

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic
- Defog

Rotom will likely be my main pokemon I use to lead with simply due to Volt Switch. The high speed will help it to outspeed and pivot. It's also here to wipe hazards and set statuses. And against grass types of course, use overheat. I wanted to run Heat over Wash because like most things here, I haven't used it before. I'm really into its speed and strength, not to mention it's a great way to keep up momentum in a match.

Milotic @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Milotic is here because I need a wall with coverage. I like the idea of Milotic because it sets itself as a wall in an interesting way. It uses coverage moves that can inflict status because it can help weaken they opponent in multiple ways. Another reason I picked Milotic is because I already have some experience with it. As much as I want to try new things, I don't want to go off the deep end and feel lost with this team.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

I chose Altaria because at this point, I decided I still needed a dragon type and a fairy type. I simply combined the two into this because Altaria is a great setup pokemon. It has Dragon dance for setup, EQ and Return for coverage and stab respectively, and roost for longevity.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb

I chose Tangrowth because I've never used it before and I thought it seemed like an interesting wall. I like the Giga Drain for stab and longevity and the Knock Off for items and the last two moves for coverage and potential status. Not to mention I can switch it out in a bad situation, and regenerator kicks in to add to its already insane tankiness.

And that's my team! This is just for a fun match between me and my friend, but I do want to get into a bit more competitive play. I'm interested in seeing how my team building skills are, so that's why I posted here for opinions. Thank you for helping me

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

E: unlocked

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)