Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/108/#single and this is the nintendo wifi battlespot one, where you can click on Choose a pokemon to see the top ten moves of salamence and the nature.

I have a question from myself too: serebii mentioned today that battlespot would submit top videos of online wifi battles to the site, but i cant find them. Anyone an idea?
Just like Serebii said, you need to go to the online competition website itself, here is the link for the Battle Of Hoenn one. Along with the rankings and Pokemon statistics tabs, a third has been added called 'Best Battles' which is where the YouTube videos are embedded. I haven't watched them yet, but it seems that they are simply one battle from each of the top three contestants (1st v 76th, 2nd v 236th and 3rd v 522nd)

edit: here's the videos
1st v 76th

2nd v 236th

3rd v 522nd

edit again: I made a better post in the actual BoH thread

Last edited:
I want to make a Double Team around Mega Metagross but I don't really know where to start. Anyone know a good team build or anything that can help me out? :)

I want to make a Double Team around Mega Metagross but I don't really know where to start. Anyone know a good team build or anything that can help me out? :)
I'm running a doubles teams with a Mega-Metagross, but I haven't done very well with it, so I'm not sure I'm a good person to offer advise.
Then again, I haven't ever done well with anything, including teams that have topped ladders, so... xD

I'm running a doubles teams with a Mega-Metagross, but I haven't done very well with it, so I'm not sure I'm a good person to offer advise.
Then again, I haven't ever done well with anything, including teams that have topped ladders, so... xD
What is your team looking like? Maybe it is good enough for reference :D

What is your team looking like? Maybe it is good enough for reference :D
I guess it wouldn't hurt to post it :P

SMUJS-Mk2 (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body -> Tough Claws
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 212 Atk, 44 Speed
- Bullet Punch
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 72 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 60 Speed.
- Tailwind
- Snarl
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Clitflick (Whimsicott) (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP, 36 Def, 220 Speed
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Safeguard
- Helping Hand

Outruns Thundurus/Tornadus, to Safeguard before T-Wave. Max bulk.

BS (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
- Cock Slide
- Protect
- Quick Guard
- Close Combat

Woofy (Arcanine) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP, 172 Def, 228 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 100 Speed
- Overheat
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Extremespeed

Outruns max Speed Smeargle (+75), survives +1 252+ LO Bisharp Sucker Punch (because Defiant) and KO's right back.
87.5% chance to destroy Specially Defensive Aegislash (252/156).
Yes, you live Lando-T EQ.
Overheat+Extremespeed KO's if not Intimidated

Ronald Knox (Rotom-Mow) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 200 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 52 Speed
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- HP Ice
- Leaf Storm

Outruns +150 in Tailwind (aka, everything), max HP for bulk, rest in power.
HP Ice is ~56% chance to OHKO Lando-T, which cannot 2HKO with U-Turn.
Rotom-W, and every other Water type, has no hope. Immune to Spore/Rage powder too.
If you prefer, Expert Belt picks up OHKOs on Lando-T, Suicune (OHKO a Suicune. pro), offensive TTar in Sand, MegaMence,
and bulky Mega Gyarados.

But yeah... Not too confident in it or anything else I think up. LOL

It does have Mega-Metagross, but it's not really centered around it.

Tbh, most of the success I've had is bluffing with TerraCott; you can gain a lot of momentum turn 1 if they assume you're going to Beat Up. Another thing about bluffing Beat Up is that a lot of people will fail to consider the possibility of Terrakion carrying a Focus Sash, especially on the first turn. This has been played to my advantage several times because people are less likely to double-target Terrakion if they have a move that can OHKO it. I'd say Terrakion is probably the MVP most of the time.

Between a faster Prankster Safeguard and Mental Herb, there is very little dickbaggery that Thundurus can do to Whisicott and its partner. Occasionally I've even had people forget that Safeguard is up and waste a turn trying to status me. Whimsicott does kind of have 4MSS, though, so it might be fun to play around with other options, such as Encore (Aegislash lol), Taunt (could be decent over Safeguard), ect.

Arcanine is pretty good this generation, imo. He's resistant against Fairy and can do decent spread damage + possible burns with Heat Wave. Overheat is for certain situations where you need a little bit extra damage output. Extreme Speed is nice priority. Unfortunately this set is completely walled by Heatran (although in a hilarious moment, I once KOed a Focus Sash Heatran with this Arcanine xD).

Suicune is mainly to solve the Heatran problem that this team has without it, and also as a second Tailwind user. I forgot what this spread does exactly; you'd have to ask ProjectTitan313, as it's his Suicune and he's the one who EVed it. :P

Mow-tom is kind of unique; I'm not sure what others think of it/what I think of it. I'm kind of thinking of replacing it because it doubles up my grass typing, which can be problematic, but I'm not really sure what should fill the position. It is a hilarious way to kill Landorus; the only thing it can do is U-Turn, and most don't see an HP Ice coming.

Metagross was originally designed for a two mega team paired with Mega-Kangaskahn, so the EVs are specially tailored for my specific team to be used as a regular Metagross or a mega. That being said, I should probably change the EVs a bit, since I'm now running it as my sole mega.

As far as my moves go,
Ice Punch - a wonderful move on Metagross and I can't imagine not running it on one. Screw you, Salamence (I've been killing them with Ice Punch Metagross since gen 4, LOL).
Protect - a must on Mega-gross imo because of the change in speed. Although Metagross takes neutral/resisted moves well, it is weak to some semi-common attacking types (Fire, Ground, Dark - including Sucker Punch!), and it is very likely that the opponent will try their darndest to eliminate such a threatening beast.
Bullet Punch - good for picking off things/Sylveon(It doesn't kill Sylveon, but does a decent amount of damage. Beware of Shadow Ball). You could run Iron Head over this if you want more power/flinch chance over priority.
Zen Headbutt - misses sometimes, but it's nice when it hits...

Other options in include Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Substitute, Rock Slide, ect. Really just depends on your team/what you feel would be most useful. :)

In conclusion, this team has worked okay for me (barring the fact that I just inexplicably suck at all times xP). It definitely has some major flaws though, and I'm definitely not done tweaking it. The Mega-Metagross is there, but tbh it's not really the star of the team. My team would be extremely Mega-Venusaur weak without it though, and if it goes down before it can kill that fatty, things are going to be bad.

H7ZW-WWWW-WWXY-J9DC
I think this was a tourney held on the VGC forum.

ZAUG-WWWW-WWXG-TH5Q
Against some random hacker on Battle Spot. This one has Kahn in it, so it's pretty old... The hacker amused me, though, in multiple ways. xP

7H7G-WWWW-WWXL-J8W8
You get to see a bit of Mow-tom in action here. :)

It was really hard to find wins. xD

Last edited:
Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 72 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 60 Speed.
- Tailwind
- Snarl
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Suicune is mainly to solve the Heatran problem that this team has without it, and also as a second Tailwind user. I forgot what this spread does exactly; you'd have to ask ProjectTitan313, as it's his Suicune and he's the one who EVed it. :P
Speed: Outruns 252+ Garchomp after an Icy Wind (I originally intended it as AssVest Icy Wind), outruns +150 and Scarf Modest Hydreigon in Tailwind. It's a beautiful Speed benchmark, really. (113 if anyone cares)
Sp. Atk: OHKO's 4/0 Landog, assuming no AssVest/Yache. Also nails 4/0 MegaMence.
Bulk: Survives 252 Timid Thundy-I Thunderbolt, beyond that is a simple / "unoptimized" dump into max bulk.
EV discrepency (for the sharper blades in the shed): The Suicune is Bold 31/31/29/30/31/31 HP Electric.

Set works with Sitrus, Rocky Helmet, and AssVest with Icy Wind > Tailwind.

Edit: lol

Woofy (Arcanine) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP, 172 Def, 228 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 100 Speed
- Overheat
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Extremespeed

Outruns max Speed Smeargle (+75), survives +1 252+ LO Bisharp Sucker Punch (because Defiant) and KO's right back.
87.5% chance to destroy Specially Defensive Aegislash (252/156).
Yes, you live Lando-T EQ.
Overheat+Extremespeed KO's if not Intimidated
You posted my quickie notes on the spread. xD

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So how do you all deal with minimize Clefable? And evasion in general. I keep getting screwed by it.
Fast Taunts from things like Gengar mostly, and just hope you have it in at the right time. I run a fun team with Mega Pidgeot on it that just wrecks Clefable thanks to No Guard. Other than that, just packing a Calm Minder of your own to outstall it (like Reuniclus or Mega Slowbro) can work but takes a really long time. Perhaps a niche accuracy booster like Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl or Coil Eelektross would do the trick but they're generally pretty unviable so I'd go with some kind of Taunt stallbreaker or else No Guard.

If I were to run a Hydreigon with 3 attacks, where the first two are Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse, which out of Earth Power or Flamethrower be more viable? If Flamethrower is more viable, is there any particular/niche reason to run EP over it?

As for evasion, you can also try using Perish Song, or tricking a choice item onto it if doesn't already have a boost up.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So how do you all deal with minimize Clefable? And evasion in general. I keep getting screwed by it.
Run Body Slam on a random Pokemon and then just bring that Pokemon when you possibly see Clefable in team preview. The problem with them having a ghost-type is that the only viable Pokemon that gets Body Slam + Scrappy is Kangaskhan. So you would have to run a sup-par Normal STAB to deal with all Minimize users, but you wouldn't have to waste a mega slot (you just don't mega evolve till you dealt with it).

Generation VI
If the target has used Minimize, Body Slam will now never miss and its base power is doubled to 170.

If I were to run a Hydreigon with 3 attacks, where the first two are Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse, which out of Earth Power or Flamethrower be more viable? If Flamethrower is more viable, is there any particular/niche reason to run EP over it?
Both are equally viable: Flamethrower/Fire blast takes care of Ferrothorn, while Earth Power is primarily for Heatran. So mostly it comes down to preference, but tbh having a Fire type move has come more in handy over the years since its much easier to get Earth type users but harder to get Fire ones, and you have the added power of Fire Blast if the accuracy dosen't bother you. About the EP niche, its really only good for Heatran, so in GENERAL id say Fire is more viable but EP is useful.

Last edited:
Roar/Whirlwind is pretty good
In this gen, those moves never miss. And they're actually viable moves to run on defensive mons in general as well.
Well that's good to know, I didn't know that was now the case nor with body slam. Roar/whirlwind still don't help if your opponent saves clefable for last though.

Run Body Slam on a random Pokemon and then just bring that Pokemon when you possibly see Clefable in team preview. The problem with them having a ghost-type is that the only viable Pokemon that gets Body Slam + Scrappy is Kangaskhan.
Actually, that's not even an option since Kangaskhan only gets Body Slam via Emerald move tutor, rendering it unusable for ORAS Battlespot.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, that's not even an option since Kangaskhan only gets Body Slam via Emerald move tutor, rendering it unusable for ORAS Battlespot.
URGH, If thats true I need to stop getting my info from bulbapedia cause it says it was a TM....double checked and I guess I need to go deeper than just assuming it can get it on a list.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a place where the ruleset for special BS season 9 has been posted?
We don't have a thread if that's what you're asking. Afaik, the format is simply standard doubles with reduced time in team preview and move selection. I don't believe the topic would spark enough discussion to warrant its own thread

Why is it that minimize is prevalent yet no one seems to use double team? Has that move been nerfed in some way I dont know about too?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Why is it that minimize is prevalent yet no one seems to use double team? Has that move been nerfed in some way I dont know about too?
Minimize boosts evasion by two stages, as opposed to Double Team only boosting by one stage. So since boosting evasion and dodging attacks is entirely luck based, it's more viable to do it quickly in 1-2 turns rather than slowly do it with Double Team

In general, what do you guys use to tackle Tailwind setups, as in what pokemon? I have found that my team is unable to stop it from going up and is thinking about replacing one of them to fix this

In general, what do you guys use to tackle Tailwind setups, as in what pokemon? I have found that my team is unable to stop it from going up and is thinking about replacing one of them to fix this
The most common tailwind users i know are talonflame and charizard x, so pokemon who could wall these pokemon, bulky pokemon in general who dont really care about going last, will be sufficient. Hippowdon, or tyranitar maybe?

Priority users like for example bellydrum azumarril, but there are a lot of others are also good, or maybe even trick room cause tailwind adds speed and in trick room you will go first if you are slower, but priority and bulk are better in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)