ORAS OU Beginner's first team of her Faves

I am not new to pokemon by any means, I've been a die hard fan since at least Gen 4, if not Gen 3. However, most of my time has been spent shiny hunting. So recently, majorly due to Youtube Channels like Silver League Networks, I've gotten into competitive battling. Since I'm fond of battling with my favorite pokemon, through LOTS of trial and error, i was able to design my first solid team.

I'll explain a little of the team building process. Since Luxray is my favorite pokemon, it has somehow made its way onto every team in every game since Gen 4. Competitively, this is no exception. From the beginning, a Luxray has been on my team. however, from there, it was a train wreck. my first official team ever consisted of, wait for it, Mega Gardevoir, Life Orb Sceptile, Weakness Policy Gallade, Rest-Sleep Talk Leftovers Malamar (with evenly distributed EVs I might add), Quick claw Luxray, and Rocky Helmet Cobalion. yeah. it was bad, I lost about 10 battles before I figured out my team sucked, and spent hours completely retconing my team. While Mega Gardevoir was a good hyper voice user, I swapped her out for Sylveon, as Sylveon could provide the cleric support my team lacked. I then gave the mega stone to Sceptile, keeping it on my team. Malamar, despite being one of my favorite pokemon, had to be scrapped for this team to add in Hydreigon, which was a MUCH better dark type, and besides, Serperior seems to be a better contrary user. Cobalion, which was originally my stealth rocks setter, was replaced with Skarmory, and at first, I intended to leave Gallade on my team. However, a few battles quickly proved that he had no synergy with the team, fell far too easily, and was used as sacrifice WAY more than he was actually supporting the team. Knowing a spinner would be useful, and knowing I needed another bulky pokemon to take hits for Hydriegon and Luxray, i eventually settled on Blastoise, because I felt Blastoise had the most synergy with the team out of the options for spinners. However, even now, I understand the team isn't perfect, and Hydriegon and Blastoise could be replaced with another physical attacker so Luxray isn't my only physical attacker, and a bulkier pokemon that could serve as a better staller, with Skarmory possibly taking over entry hazards with defog respectively.

SR-71: Skarmory.
Nature: impish (Skarmory is never going to use it's pathetic special attack stat, and I wanted it to be a well rounded wall, so I chose impish for defense over careful for special defense. in hindsight, might be a mistake since Skarmory's weaknesses are usually special, but hey. I don't want to run all sets that are carbon copies of Smogon sets.)
Ability: Sturdy.
Max Health, max Sp. def, little in defense.
Moves:
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind (might replace this with toxic or spikes, but I'd need someone else's opinion for that.)
Item: Focus band (probably gonna change this.)
Skarmory serves as setup of stealth rocks, because I always find it useful to have that set up on the opposing team. Since most of my other pokemon are special attackers, I run Brave Bird so Luxray isn't my only pokemon that can do physical damage. Skarmory also serves as a safe switch in that can tank attacks for most of my other pokemon, most notably Sylveon and Luxray, since it is a steel-flying type, resisting or being to immune to Luxray and Sylveon's weaknesses.

Maleficent: Hydreigon
Nature: Modest
Max Sp. Att, Lots in speed, a little in HP (i accidentally used a HP L bag instead of a speed L bag, and was too lazy to reset for Max speed. so there's at least 12 in HP.)
Moves:
-Flash Cannon
-Dragon Pulse (not too fond of Draco Meteor, but i may change it to that)
-Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast
Item: Life Orb
Hydriegon is one of my favorite pokemon, which is awesome, because it's certainly proven to be useful. It works well with the rest of my team, but it doesn't really do much support, and I often times use Sceptile for dragon moves over Hydriegon. Hydreigon HONESTLY could be swapped for another pokemon because i've found that I don't use it much, and it usualy is taken out before it can do anything, but Flash cannon is a good move to take care of any fairy types since Skarmory doesn't carry a steel type move. I've been considering swapping Hydreigon for a physical attacker such as Arcanine. (Any physically attacking pokemon recommendations would be GREAT)

Luxury: Luxray
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
Max Attack, Max speed.
Moves:
-Wild Charge
-Ice Fang
-Volt Switch
-Superpower (not once have I ever used this move, so I may change it, i just don't know what to change it to.)
Item: Choice scarf
My all time favorite pokemon is my main physical attacker in a pool of special attackers. Luxray's primary use on my team is taking out any pokemon with calm mind set ups, taking out special walls, and sometimes I'm forced to use it for death fodder. Most commonly, I switch into Luxray on a set up or recovery prediction, and use Volt switch to get it off the field. Due to Luxray's awesome attack stat, and the choice scarf, Luxray usually goes first, and almost never leaves the field without dealing heavy damage to any opponent. Other times, I lock it into wild charge, which almost always takes out at the very least 1/3 health, if not 1/2. I then leave it in until it's knocked out by recoil or the opponent.

Sceptiroth: Sceptile
Nature: Timid
Max Sp. Att, Max speed
Moves:
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Substitute
-Giga Drain
Item: Sceptilite
Holy crap, this thing's special attack and speed are through the roof. I've swapped this in on a Greninja without worrying about getting outsped. Most of my team helps support Sceptile in one way or another, as once they take out any major threat to Mega Sceptile, it can come in and clean up the mess without any hassle whatsoever. Often times, I swap sceptile in and use substitute so I can safely mega evolve it and scout out the opponents' move, if not start with sceptile and use substitute to safely mega evolve in the first turn, then swap into Skarmory for set up, so that it sets my team into motion.

Blast Boi: Blastoise
Nature: Serious (I could not, for the life of me, get bold. So i just settled on serious. Eventually, I do plan on replacing this Blastoise with one with a bold nature.)
Max health, max defense
Moves:
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic
-Scald
-Ice Beam
Item: Expert belt
Blastoise serves as a spinner, a crippler through toxic, burning with scald, and once even freezing with ice beam, and, along with Skarmory, bait. Once Sceptile has mega evolved, I use Blastoise and Skarmory quite a lot to draw out an electric type move, then swap into Mega Sceptile to take advantage of Mega Sceptile's ability and gain +1 in Special attack, which usually allows me to sweep.

Sylvester: Sylveon
Nature: Modest (Bold or calm could be a better option to solidify it as a wall, but I use hyper voice quite a lot, and I wanted there to be some sort of increase behind it to pack a harder punch. Again, some advice on whether or not I need to change it would be nice.)
Ability: Pixilate
Max defense, max health
Moves:
-Protect
-Heal bell
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
Item: leftovers.
I commonly switch between my 2 sylveons, Sylvia (calm mind sweeper) and this one, but to me, it seems like Sylvester has a better synergy with the team. it serves as cleric, healing any status with heal bell and restoring HP with wish. Once Blastoise has crippled the opponent, I can switch Sylveon or Skarmory in and stall them out with wish+protect or whittle them down with status+brave bird+roost. Sylveon switches in to safely take dragon type attacks for Mega Sceptile and Hydreigon, and generally can tank any attacks for a pokemon i'm not willing to loose yet. Hyper voice can also do significant damage, and at least 2HKOs if not OHKOs pokemon weak to it. Sylveon can keep the Life Orb Hydriegon and the recoil Luxray alive for longer.

And yeee that's my team.

Last edited:
Hello, looking at your team, I realised that your team has a huge weakness towards Fairy Types. I suggest you may replace Skarmory's Whirlwind with Iron Head as a STAB move. Also, I suggest switching out Luxray with a Magnezone or Landorus-T in order to kill M-Sceptile's checks, and Clefable instead of Sylveon as a better mixed wall. Really glad to see someone who appreciates M-Sceptile!

Hello, looking at your team, I realised that your team has a huge weakness towards Fairy Types. I suggest you may replace Skarmory's Whirlwind with Iron Head as a STAB move. Also, I suggest switching out Luxray with a Magnezone or Landorus-T in order to kill M-Sceptile's checks, and Clefable instead of Sylveon as a better mixed wall. Really glad to see someone who appreciates M-Sceptile!
Whirlwind hasn't felt right on Skarmory since the beginning. Since they're my two favorite pokemon, Luxray and Sylveon are here to stay on this particular team, since it's theme is my favorite pokemon, but Ill take your suggestions into consideration for future teams when it comes to electric and fairy type pokemon. Thanks!

Whirlwind hasn't felt right on Skarmory since the beginning. Since they're my two favorite pokemon, Luxray and Sylveon are here to stay on this particular team, since it's theme is my favorite pokemon, but Ill take your suggestions into consideration for future teams when it comes to electric and fairy type pokemon. Thanks!
If it's truly mandatory for Luxray to be present, try replacing Superpower with HP Grass to seriously mess with the opponent's mind. As for Sylveon, she's fine, but suffers from the lack of bulk. Good luck climbing the ladder!

You could guts/facade lux with toxic orb, and a rapid spin kabutops in place of blast. You could swap out hydreigon for garchomp or jolly scarf dragonite(which is the funninest to use, if I might add), or even a mix kyreum-b

This gives lux more att power, a little bit faster and att based spinner, and a more reliable dragon. I'll post more later

You could guts/facade lux with toxic orb, and a rapid spin kabutops in place of blast. You could swap out hydreigon for garchomp or jolly scarf dragonite(which is the funninest to use, if I might add), or even a mix kyreum-b

This gives lux more att power, a little bit faster and att based spinner, and a more reliable dragon. I'll post more later
I've considered going with a guts Luxray before. just never acted on it. and the more reliable dragon is definitely in need, because the more I battle with the team, the less useful Hydriegon becomes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)