Walrus Bloodyrus 2023 - A Night At The Bloody's House

General Information
Introduction:
Walrus is a game where you send one song per category that fits each for the categories listed below. Preferably ones that you think I’ll like, but hey, you do you; I appreciate the effort to submit regardless, the more the merrier!

Scoring:
TLDR; How much I like your song, how well it fits the category, and how familiar I am with the artist/song you submitted, in descending order, are how I rate your subs. Open the accursed spoiler for scoring nitty-gritty, if you care. If you've already seen my scoring in a previous walrus it's the same EXCEPT that there will be no dropped category this time; the walrus is too short for that.

Rating: Rating is a measure of how much I enjoyed the song. It ranges from 0.1 points to 10.0 points. Songs will be revealed in ascending order of rating. Any song that scores an 8.0 or above will get a bonus of .5 points, and any song that scores 9.0 or above will receive a bonus of a full point. 8.0 and 9.0 are major watersheds on my personal rating scale- 8.0 means I’m willing to put the song on my playlist and 9.0 means I love it. 10 means you win and I stop hosting walruses because I've already found the perfect song.
Catfit: Every song will receive a score for how well it fits the category. The scale for this will be 0.1 points for extremely loose cat fits to 2.0 for extremely good cat fits.
Familiarity: You will receive points based on whether I’m familiar with the artist/song you’ve subbed. This ranges from a point for artists I’m completely unfamiliar with to .0 points for songs I've already heard from artists I'm familiar with.
Example: Here’s an example of the scoring system above using nanawoakari - Kien Romance.
8.6 (Rating) + 1.8 (Catfit) + .0 (Familiarity) = 10.9 points (Total)

Banned Artists:
Nothing is specifically banned, just try not to sub music you know I know well. Not gonna be too picky about this, hence the word 'try'.
Er, unless you send a song a category is named after or one of the examples songs. Those are a no.

Musical Tastes:
Genres do end up influencing scoring as ratings are based on whether I, in particular, like the song, but it’s not the end of the world if you send something from a genre I’m not into. There’s plenty of songs in genres I like that I don’t like and plenty of songs in genres I don’t usually like that I love. You can focus on genres if you want but for the most part like just don't send me country, please, I'm begging you.

I don’t mind most noise, screaming, robotic voices, or other extreme musical styles. I have no preferences on song language but I do like to read the lyrics for songs when available. A slight majority of the music I listen to is in Japanese and while you’re free to send me Japanese stuff the language specifically won’t help. It’s less preference, more what I’m used to and what my peers listen to.

Favorite genres: Denpa, hyperpop, breakcore, melodic death metal, shoegaze, J-core (the electronic genre), dark ambient/classical [can be hit or miss sometimes though, some artists just bore me]
Genres I usually like a lot: House, psytrance, most electronic sans EDM/dubstep, most metal sans ‘classic’ stuff, “noise” music, disco, funk, J-pop
Genres I usually hate: Top 40-style pop, country (especially pop country), and some rap [very hit or miss but there is rap I like]
Things I usually like a lot that aren’t genres: Anything that makes me want to dance or headbang, songs with lots of synth, musical 'moods' or atmospheres that draw me in, cool sampling, songs with lots of horns, extremely cheesy music, sometimes loud chaotic things that others find unlistenable but that I find ‘cool’
Things I usually hate that aren't genres: 'Boring' music. I can listen to a song for 10 minutes if it's engaging me or has a cool atmosphere, and do so with a lot of metal and trance or whatever, but if the song bores me then my patience is gonna run out really quick. Really subjective, I know. This seems to pop up most often on the bad side of indie music and droning metal or generic electronic music that wants to go for that super long song length common in the genre without actually having anything to validate such a length.
TLDR; boring is bad, long and boring is double bad- justify your length, do something cool with it.

Categories
Category 1: Wake Me Up Inside (Bring Me to Life)

The day of my big party has begun. I lie alone in my bed, purging the sleep from my system and coming to grips with the world around me, just like every morning.
Send me a song that's still waking up itself. Something calm and introspective. A dash of darkness is fine too.

Stars As Lights - Reach For The Stars Above
haruka nakamura ft. LUCA - Helios
macaroom - Nemurini

Category 2: B・E・E・R
People are arriving and the party is getting started. And everybody decided to bring booze with them. Looks like we're going from 0 to 100 real fast, huh. Send me something with the energy to get the party pumping. Ideally something fast, strong, and that makes you want to move and or groove, but two out of three ain't bad.
Sofi Tukker - Fuck They
Underscore - Rockabye (Dancecore Edit)
Quixotic - Holding Out For A Hero (Remix)

Category 3: You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth
The alcohol is kicking in - it's time. I'm rolling out the fucking karaoke machine. GET YOUR ASSES READY TO BELT OUT SOME BANGERS.
Catfit scores will be based solely on how much I want to sing the song you send me because I am a walrus dictator who deals in bad ideas. As a heads-up, you will be safer submitting something in English or Japanese for this category as those are the only languages I speak.
The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men
Oingo Boingo - Try to Believe
Shougo Hamada - On the Breakwater
Enako ft. pmarusama - Identity Meltdown

I herefore promise to sing whatever the best catfit is, for better or worse, and play it at the end of the reveal. No, you can't talk me out of this.

Category 4: I'm So Happy
Everyone's "crunked up" and things are WILD. The mere presence of the karaoke machine has caused the room to descend into cacophony, various substances of all sorts have entered the partygoers, and it's difficult to even tell what's going on. Send me something equal parts happy and chaotic.

Necrocomiccon - Girls Just Wanna Bop Time After Time
Choko - Bamboo
Loffciamcore - Lady Gaga Make Dance On My Dick (odaxelagnia Remix)

Category 5: Better Off Alone
By the time my senses are back to normal, the party's over. The beer has been drunk, the karaoke machine trashed, and everyone is gone. All that's left is me waiting for the sunrise, all alone. Send me something that fits the sadness and melancholy of this moment.
SALEM - Better Off Alone (Atari Teenage Riot Remix)
Benjamin Anderson ft. mpi - I Want To Know
Slowdive - Dagger

Sign-Ups
The tentative deadline for sign-ups is May 26th, one month from the posting of this thread. Please send me AT MINIMUM your first category by then, although if you can get all your songs in beforehand that would be preferred, it's only five categories. You can send me your signup on discord, MafiaUniverse, or Smogon. The server reveals will be held in will depend on player preference.

Alts are allowed.

Players
1. LordQuas
2. Moose
3. RaceBandit
4. Aura Guardian
5. termi
6. Lebossle
7. BrainpanSonata
8. Bloobird
9. nutella
10. Shad
11. Marmot
12. MNIN West
13. MNIN East
14. staypositivefriend
15. Laurel

Last edited:
Alright, the deadline has passed so I'll start grading Category 1 and announce a reveal date soon. If anyone meant to get a sub but didn't get at minimum your Cat 1 song to me soon, within the next few days.

Category 1: Wake Me Up Inside (Bring Me to Life)

Header

Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
WAKE ME UP.
CAN’T WAKE UP.
HAVE TO HOST A WALRUS CATEGORY TO WAKE ME UP.
ZZZZZZZZZZZ

15th:
AWOLNATION - We Are All Insane
Ok, so like, going off this song I’m supposed to feel that I’m going insane. Shit’s gonna go wild - mad. Alright, I buy into it. So how do you sell me on this premise?
You get a guy to yell like it’s 2 AM and he’s afraid of waking his parents up while another one quietly speaks at me. This isn’t insane, it’s Ned Flanders having TWO ginger ales this week instead of one. And if it was insane then it wouldn’t be a catfit, so… well, you can either get a promising execution of the song premise here or you can get it to fit the cat, and it decided to better fit the cat. Overall not bad, just really underwhelming and not my cup of tea.
Edit: Ok, after listening to this more it’s fallen to ‘bad’ in the court of my personal opinion, this just sounds like something that should headline a Kidz Bop alt rock CD, I’m sorry

Brainpan read?.
Total: 4.5 rating + 1.5 catfit + .9 familiarity = 6.9 points
Submitted by BrainpanSonata

14th:
Cyranek - Billy Nyelish - Science Guy
BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BI-
Total: 4.8 rating + .5 catfit + .5 familiarity = 5.8 points
Submitted by Moose

13th:
Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
The backing is pleasant at the start and I could see something interesting being built on top of it, but, uh, Billie Eilish doing this sing-song voice is not it. What comes after that is better but not by much for me. Billie’s singing is still very poppy and her instrumentals are the same. It’s like they wanted to go hard but at the same time don’t want to ruin the mass-market appeal with too much tonal whiplash so they scratched the proposal where Shad’s favorite indie death metal artist of 2021 goes into a freestyle noise solo for eight minutes while Billie frantically screams devoid of all melody and did this instead.

And yes, I would be VERY much interested in seeing that come to fruition.

I don’t disagree that it fits the cat though, in the sense that I want to sleep at the start and then I don’t want to sleep quite as much a couple of minutes later, that’s certainly on point.
Total: 5.5 rating + 1.7 catfit + .8 familiarity = 7.8 points
Submitted Laurel

12th:
Moonface - Everyone is Noah, Everyone is the Ark
I don’t hate this or anything but this goes entirely over my head and I expect half the reveal to talk about how I am a philistine and how this was robbed and should be 3rd. Bloobird read, or maybe nutella. May the day eventually come where I can appreciate men with acoustic guitars and the ability to kind of scream as much as everyone else seems to.
Total: 6.0 rating + 1.4 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.4 points
Submitted by Bloobird

11th:
Phyrnna - Of Rainbows
Oh neat, Epic Battle Fantasy. That brings back memories, although I only really played the one shmup entry in the series. This is… well, not exactly what I was expecting when I made the category, but I think it fits. It’s one of those ‘OFF, TO ADVENTURE WE GO’ tracks that does signal the start of an adventure or an awakening. As for the song itself, it’s alright. There’s not much for me to go crazy for but there’s nothing here for me to dislike either. The instrumentation is nice and I appreciate that it doesn’t sound extremely midi sample, which is a thing that happens sometimes with flash games. If I was more into classical-style music then I could see myself really liking this.
Total: 6.4 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.2 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

10th:
Kwoon - I Lived on the Moon
This is nice - I appreciate it. It fits the theme well with the slow rise into wakefulness as the song goes on and is generally calm, which is really what I wanted out of this cat thematically. As for the song itself, my first thought is that it’s not bad. There’s nothing major that I want to complain about, but at the same time it’s not quite my thing. The vocalist’s muttering style of speaking fits the rest of the song but I don’t like it. That leaves most of my focus on the guitar which is, uh, entirely acceptable. I really do enjoy this but I feel like anything I say about it comes off as damning with faint praise. I could say I like it, but I don’t like like it. Although the video is great, so if anyone cares I’d say to watch it. That I do like like.
Total: 7.1 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.9 points
Submitted by Lebossle

9th:
Stock Wudeczka & Hatsune Miku - Tylko jedno w glowie mam
I dunno. I like Miku noises. And this is a really nice beat. And the cow seems to be having fun. This is nice.

I apologize ahead of time if you lose to this song and also vanity read.
Edit: oh wait, vanity didn’t sub to this walrus
lol
lmao even
Total: 7.5 rating + 1.3 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.8 points
Submitted by Marmot

8th:
Beverly Glenn-Copeland - Colour of Anyhow
This is really nice. I like the singer’s voice a lot. The deeper female voice and the way she draws it out reminds me a lot of Fleetwood Mac[‘s vocalist, Stevie Nicks], Landslide coming to mind in particular. And, well, I’m not going to say I like it as much as Landslide, but it is good! While acoustic guitar has a risk of falling flat with me it doesn’t here, falling into the coveted CALM, CHILL ZONE instead. So, yeah. A calm, chill track. Perhaps just a tad too sleepy though, if I had to nitpick.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.7 points
Submitted by termi

7th:
Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, and Hajime Wakai - Day
Never played Breath of the Wild - don’t own a switch. It looks fun. The soundtrack here reminds me a little bit of Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin’s OST. That was fun, I really should have played more of it. Anyways, I’m getting off topic. There’s a ton of traditional instrumentation here and it lends to the mood the composer(s?) of the track are trying to build really well. It’s very calming and I appreciate how well said mood comes together - I can imagine what Kakariko Village looks like without even seeing it. A little lacking in variety but very enjoyable nonetheless.
Total: 7.9 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.8 points
Submitted by Aura Guardian

6th:
Lucy Gooch - Rain’s Break
Things start near-silently, a slow rise towards wakefulness as the vocals begin to build up, almost tensely preparing for that big burst of activity around 2:35, the song comings into its own.. If I had to complain I could say that the ‘burst’ could be bigger, but it’s still a good catfit. As for the song itself, it manages to be minimalist without being boring, which I must admit is a difficult balance to hit. Both the beat and the vocals are solid, and the way they develop over the course of the track makes the listen feel worthwhile.

Also, the video is cool. Like, no idea if it means anything or if I’m just supposed to be going “ooh, that’s a lot of snow”, but, uh, I’ll look at the nicely lit snowscapes regardless.
Total: 8.0 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.4 points
Submitted by nutella

5th:
Cryalot - Labyrinth
So, I’m gonna start with the first thing that drew my attention: The singer sounds just like Kero Kero Bonito and that’s not a compliment coming from me, bluntly speaking. I have been made to listen to the Bugsnax theme way too many times and I really don’t like her voice. But, anyways, uh, besides that pretty unpredictable criticism, the rest of the song is really cool. The beat is cool and I like how it builds over the course of the song before going all out at the chorus. The vocal mixing that comes afterwards is great too. Like, this is a great example of poppy electronic that I like, in the vein of artist like Porter Robison. And I appreciate the attempt to tie in the lyrics explicitly to the writeup for the category even though I didn’t specifically require it, that’s always fun. Final read is Lebossle or maybe AuraGuardian, I don’t recall what kind of music the latter liked.

Now to see whether I get over the voice enough on subsequent listens for this to get to an eight.
Edit: This makes the eight range but it still sounds like Kero Kero Bonito and all I can think about is Bugsnax.
I hate Bugsnax.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.3 points
Submitted by spf

4th:
Yuji Yoshino, Natsuki Kido, Takashi Yasui, Masahiro Takekawa, and Ram3200 - Relaxation Time ~ Sea’s Roar
I saw this track listed by three different names. Time of Calmness ~ Rising Tide on the Youtube upload, Relaxation Time ~ Sea's Roar on a description of the album, and Relaxation Time~Rising Tide -Teien-Headquarters- when I downloaded that album. All referring to the same track. Incorrect metadata confuses, fascinates, and infuriates me, so like any normal person I went and sought out the answer to this mystery instead of just choosing the title I preferred and slapping it at the top of my writeup. And said answer is much more boring than I hoped. The album is Japanese and some of the titles are typed in English, some in Japanese. So on several track listings and the Youtube upload for this song the titles got translated to fit. Only the trusty vgmdb entry and the Amazon listing for the CD still include the Japanese titles, in fact. Everywhere else seems to have shunned them, not even including a mention in parentheses for whatever reason. Now, I know what you’re thinking: Are any of these three translations of the title official? I don’t think so since I couldn’t find an English sales page for the album, but feel free to disprove me if anyone feels sufficiently motivated - I didn’t look very hard. So without an official title I’m going to declare that the real title is Relaxation Time ~ Sea’s Roar, because it appears to be the most accurate translation of the Japanese title I see on vgmdb and Amazon. You’re welcome, world.

Although I still don’t know whether the ‘Ram3200’ listed as a credit for the ‘programming’ on many tracks on the album is an actual artist who goes by a pseudonym or a synth or something. A question for another day I guess.

Wait, the song? You want to know my opinion on the song itself? Didn’t I just- oh. Not the title. Or Ram3200 either. Alright then, ok, I’ll give you that too. It’s relaxing. The first half, at least. Like I’m standing in nature, feeling the morning dew against my skin, while some creepy lady makes noises on a cliff like 30 feet away. And then a bunch of vikings (I know this isn’t Viking-themed music but look, my mind’s eye pictures vikings) burst out of the ground with a full band and start going fucking HAM.

And then they’re gone, creepy lady and all, and I question how and why I’ve ended up streaking in a field in the middle of Wales. And then I wake up because dream endings are still viable in the year 2023.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.6 points
Submitted by Shad

3rd:
SADFRANK - The End
This is some great minimalist electronic stuff. It gives off a calm feeling, if also one of great melancholy. Less waking up, more… well, just existing like this. Thinking back on what’s happened. Love the variety of sounds that are used, the bass and the occasional burst of harsh noise and all that it all just.. It all forms a vibe, y’know? While I’m at it, I really like the vocals too. They have a lot of emotion.

Also, I tried to read the lyrics and I knew all the words except one and I still can’t figure out what the fuck they’re supposed to mean. Not even in the metaphorical sense, I just can’t properly decipher a good chunk of them, I feel dumb. I’m going to blame it on artsy wording and use of lots of sentence fragments and leave it at that, lest I arrive at the realization that I really am just stupid.
Edit: or both. Both of those things can be true simultaneously.
Total: 8.6 rating + 1.5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.6 points
Submitted by MNIN East

2nd:
Hamid El Shaeri - Ayonha
Aw man, this is SMOOTH. A dash of funk to keep me moving, this gentle synth that I’m absolutely digging, and vocals that fit the instrumental perfectly. I’m relaxed, but at the same time I just want to get up and move a little. The essence of the chairdance, I suppose. Not much else I can say here except that I dig the call-and-response thing they have going on with the vocals. It’s cool.

Oh, and Quas read or possibly MNIN.
Total: 8.7 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.9 points
Submitted by LordQuas

1st:
untitled (halo) - el prado freestyle
The sound here is really cool. Personally I feel like it sits somewhere at the intersection between low-fi and shoegaze, inheriting all of the feelings of vastness and emptiness of the latter without being quite as harsh or dark. Although unlike there’s not so much ‘chill vibes’ but empty ones here. Hell, this feels like the musical equivalent of a liminal space. A kind of odd, ethereal feeling comes off of this that’d I’d associate with drug use or staying up for 40 hours straight, like everything’s a little off.
Total: 8.8 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.0 points
Submitted by MNIN West

Closer:
nakinyo - Her Voice
Thanks for coming/reading and see you next week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)