Books

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I've just gotten off of a Tom Clancy run where I read Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon: (forget but it was the second one, I had read the first one earlier) and Dead or Alive. Great military intrigue; brings more of a personal "what decision do I make" kind of vibe not seen often where they focus simply on the battle and not on the moral decisions.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan saga is indescribable, and something everyone should at least scratch the surface of in their lifetime. Specifically, Without Remorse, Debt of Honor, and Executive Orders.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As someone who rarely reads new books, $14 seems ridiculously expensive (e.g. I recently bought the lotr trilogy for under $10)

Though I also bought the latest game of thrones book right when it came out for like $25 so I guess I'm a sucker too
I don't find it that expensive, especially for a small press book by a not very well known author. I'd like to support a terrific poet in anyway I can instead of spending heaps on the big hit book of the time.

Why the hell would you spend heaps on a big hit book in the first place when you can get 'em from libraries for free?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why the hell would you spend heaps on a big hit book in the first place when you can get 'em from libraries for free?
I think it has to do with people rather owning a copy instead of borrowing it from a library. That's how it is for me!

I go out of my way to buy copies of my favourite books so I can have them to reread. If you're like me, then every book has replay value. There's also -- at least for me -- a feeling of pride of possession. Owning things I love makes me happy as a collector and as a fan.

New books are expensive. I wouldn't buy a book new from a bookstore without knowing what I was in for if I had any alternative (hint: there often is!). But I enjoy owning physical copies of books. Having them to display, to read again, to cherish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)