SM OU Breath of regenerative fresh air MegaBro+Torn OU Offence Godsquad

BRIEF INTRO

Hey what's up RMTers, TheDoff here with my 4th RMT (I think? Maybe the fifth).
I got bored of seeing the same 3/4 teams on ladder so I checked out the megas and wanted to build a squad around MegaBro considering it's been getting no love recently and it has pretty good potential being able to take care of Lando and pretty much every physical mon. The team has a couple of OU staples but with some niche sets it really provides some versatility with bluffing sets and catching opponents off guard.
Well then let's begin.
(Note that this team originally paired AV Dhelmise to Bro, a decent pair, as a spinner as i tried to innovate, but i ultimately realised it's trash and chose Excadrill instead. This change reshuffled some members' roles like Lando, who was originally scarf)

Brief Teambuilding and main roles.

I started with the megabro, obviously, as i like the fact it walls half the meta after a CM and is a great tool to counter both opposing Trick Room and fast frail threats.
A good pairing to take advantage of the regenerator is another regen user, Torn-T
With this 2 mon core I added in a rocker that helps me get rid of hazers like toxapex and other annoying mons in general like Celesteela, namely Heatran
A spinner was needed to take full advantage of Torn's regen. To spin and take care of Koko, which was starting to be a big threat, Excadrill was added.
After playing with some previous versions i realised some dark/ghost types were a threat, and i had no great way to break special walls. Enter Ash-Greninja.
Lastly, to help break through mega Sableye stall and as another wincon, double dance Z fly Landorus was chosen.

In Depth Analysis

Bro.png

Maybe bad (Slowbro-Mega) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

The name was given before testing, I should probably change it as this thing either does nothing (vs squads like tapu koko triple electric) or wins by itself. Full defence EVs to be able to switch in on Lando/Exca & pals while non mega and keep the regen as far as possible. Scald because of the beauty 30% that avoids greninja switching in for free, Psyshock because it wins CM wars. Only Mega when you need the SpA boost or the Def boost for an important KO, or when you start setting up. You usually do it once and when you do it you do it because it wins. Crucial mon to the team, Bro takes care of what the other members otherwise struggle with, as well as being the main Ground switch-in which allowes Lando to run an offensive set.

Torn.jpg

OG (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Icy Wind

Good ol' Torn-T. My main answer to opposing Greninjas who switch in on Bro EVERY TIME. If he specs pumps or is LO Ice beam you have to play around it a bit but I went against one with Hydro, Ice beam, Dark pulse (full counter team mode) and I still managed to play around it, it's tough but it's not impossible, burn helped a bit. Hurricane is what you'll be spamming most as it does neutral damage against almost everything. Awesome lead as it provides U-turn straight off the bat and can usually get unsuspected damage with heat wave/icy wind. Btw Icy Wind > Hp Ice because it eases prediction on the possible switch and paired with u-turn allows me to counter fast threats in ways i usually wouldn't be able to. Heat Wave for Ferro, Scizor and Steela mainly. SpD evs allow me to come in more freely on mons like ninja and Lele, and to scout the sets and play accordingly. Full speed because you're a Torn-T and that's pretty self explanatory.

Tran.png

This (Heatran) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon​

This. It doesn't die, it kills everything that can stop megabro, its name is offensive Tran, we all know what it does. Pex is history, magearna can't KO with blast thanks to chople and dies, TTar can't come in to trap thanks to earth power and flash and dies, Clefable is not a problem (CM, WishTect, hell even Cosmic Power. It just dies.), any and every Scizor dies, choiced Kartana dies, non choiced Kartana dies as I live thanks to chople, opposing Trans die to EP, excetera. It's annoying when they speed tie and win as opposing trans can be annoying if they have toxic. But there are probably 2 fast trans with toxic out there so you just take the L and move on. Rocks because a man's gotta rocks n roll, and storm because it traps things. Crucial member, only sacd at low health or VS rain.

Drill.png

Rudolf (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin​

Well turns out i needed both a scarfer and a spinner and a Koko counter, so here it is. I like to lead with this too so people think suicide lead and i can get a quick KO or keep bluffing as that helps Lando set up late game. Otherwise looking carefully it's not too hard to figure out what my 3 possible rockers do, and prepare accordingly. Exca has great synergy with Lando being able to KO Levitaters, and Lando can KO a ground resist with Z fly, so EQ sweep is a main wincon. Toxic to catch Zapdos on the switch because otherwise it's very tough to get through if played well. EVs to maximise scarfer potential, mold breaker to catch levitaters like Rotom-W. You want to throw this out as often as possible to rapid spin, and then eventually make the aggro prediction and get off a big toxic on the switch. ALSO this is not too well known but Mold Breaker Toxic breaks through Magic Bounce, so keep that in mind. All in all, in some games he doesn't even ever come out, but when he does he's generally very useful.

ASH.png

No Lie (Greninja) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn​

This used to be scarf protean but damn Specs is soooo strong. Water Shuriken is a lovely addition in the form of priority that helps me against mega Medi, Pinsir, Lopunny, Koko, and so on. DP is obligatory stab, HP is a nuke and U-turn gives me great momentum paired with torn and Lando, who doesn't run it but usually does, (good conditioning of the opponent and a good prediction can give you a free +2 or +4 and usually wins the match. Bluff the U-turn and SD or RP in their face as they watch in horror.) This is yet another wincon, and should be played accordingly. It's super clutch even at 1hp. You know what the EVs are for.

Lando.png

I Solve Problems (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish​

Yeah so this wins games, no one is prepared for this anymore. Choose wisely to save HP or play it often and save the setup for a late game suprise, but keep in mind this particular Lando has no U-turn, so once you're inside commit and drop nukes. If it can't sweep then it's amazing to punch huge holes in teams that can be then cleaned up with Bro/Exca/Gren. Z fly over Z rock move because of STAB and superior firepower in general. I have missed one fly while I tested the team, in no other occasion have i thought a rock move would have been superior. Again, depending on how well you bluff exca and heatran (if the opponent is paying attention) this is a get out of jail free card. Choose your wincon before revealing the set, but once you know how to win have no fear in dropping Z moves and +2 Flys.

Threatlist:

Honestly I feel the team is rather well rounded, and tends to be able to respond well to most threats in the OU tier. However there are definitely some mons that cause problems.

Mega Gyarados (Sets up on many mons. Usually if you miss Hurricane it gets really tough)
Hoopa-U (something will die, then U-turn on it and start picking up momentum)
Volcarona at +2 (gg)
Zard if the mega is well bluffed
Kyurem-B (of course, it has no counters and forces tough predictions)
Fast Heatrans (can be dealt with but if they speed tie and ko tran you usually end up in a bad position)
M-Scizor if Tran is dead and you let it set up, but just hard Torn and you'll be OK

Concluding:

Well there it is. I hope to be seeing this on the ladder as y'all test it out and help me improve it. I have no replays because i seldom save them, so if you catch some nice dubs feel free to post them in the comments and i'll include it in the OP.
The team is well rounded and works well, but by no means is it finished. I look forward to advice from you guys to adapt it even further to the OU Metagame.
Peace Out​

I Solve Problems (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

This (Heatran) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

No Lie (Greninja) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

OG (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Icy Wind

Maybe bad (Slowbro-Mega) @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Rudolf (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Attachments

Key think i didn't mention obviously is not to get Bro toxicd as it kills its setup potential. It's usually much better to scout and try to get burned by switching it into scalds, as that gives you effective immunity to poison. If it should happen anyway there are still ways to win, but you lose a major wincon.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there TheDoff . This is a cool team focused a Regenerator core of Slowbro and Tornadus. Your build is offense, so this rate will aim to maintain that archetype by making as little defensive changes as possible.

Overview

This team struggles with a lot of offensive Pokemon and wallbreakers. Your only real defensive backbone is your win condition, Slowbro. Defensively, though, Slowbro deals with so little in the current metagame due to its typing. This will make Pokemon like Heatran, Kyurem, Hoopa, and Greninja-Ash especially tough to handle and switch into. There will be some major and minor changes to slightly improve this match-ups.

Major Changes

[AV] Tangrowth
>
Excadrill

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Tangrowth provides an additional defensive backbone that helps deal with some of the threats that were named above as well as some other extraneous Pokemon. Tangrowth further strengthens the Regenerator core that you built the team around. Tang and Slowbro beat each others checks nicely. For example, Tangrowth provides a far better potentially switch-in to Greninja than your AV Tornadus. Slowbro can force out opposing Heatran that would threaten Tangrowth, etc. You could try Rock Slide to ease the poor Volcarona match-up, but the inability to run Knock Off or Earthquake will equally hinder you.

Minor Changes

44 Spe EVs on Slowbro

This investment lets Slowbro be faster than Toxapex. This will allow it to either avoid Haze or hit Toxapex with Psyshock before it can be Toxic'd. This in particular is important in case Toxapex is low (from Greninja's prior damage, for example).

Rocky Helmet Utility Tornadus-Therian

Due to the addition of Tangrowth, Tornadus no longer needs to run Assault Vest, as the role of an AV pivot is already covered. Tornadus can instead opt to run Defog to make up for the lack of an Excadrill. Defog truly fleshes out the most of Tornadus' versatility and viability this generation with its ability to Defog on a lot of hazard setters and Regenerator's healing properties. Tornadus can now punish physical attackers like U-turn Landorus and Scarf Kartana easier.

Modest Steelium Z Heatran

Heatran would much prefer a a Steelium Z set to OHKO Alakazam, Latios, etc. These Pokemon, namely the former, can be quite threatening to your team due to the slower nature of it. Before this change, Heatran struggled more with Tyranitar too. This change now eases that and truly makes your statement about this match-up true.

Spikes Greninja-Ash

Running Spikes on Greninja will help weaken bulkier Pokemon. This additional pressure can hurt common switch-ins like Tangrowth. Spikes stacking is almost necessary on most forms of Offense right now for this reason.

Choice Scarf Explosion Landorus-Therian

Landorus can opt to run Choice Scarf for additional speed. This will allow Lando to be a check to Alakazam. Explosion will OHKO a number of Pokemon and can stop a lot of sweeps fast. Landorus is not faster than Volcarona, though, so it will remain a threat.

Importable

Hey there TheDoff . This is a cool team focused a Regenerator core of Slowbro and Tornadus. Your build is offense, so this rate will aim to maintain that archetype by making as little defensive changes as possible.

Overview

This team struggles with a lot of offensive Pokemon and wallbreakers. Your only real defensive backbone is your win condition, Slowbro. Defensively, though, Slowbro deals with so little in the current metagame due to its typing. This will make Pokemon like Heatran, Kyurem, Hoopa, and Greninja-Ash especially tough to handle and switch into. There will be some major and minor changes to slightly improve this match-ups.

Major Changes

[AV] Tangrowth
>
Excadrill

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Tangrowth provides an additional defensive backbone that helps deal with some of the threats that were named above as well as some other extraneous Pokemon. Tangrowth further strengthens the Regenerator core that you built the team around. Tang and Slowbro beat each others checks nicely. For example, Tangrowth provides a far better potentially switch-in to Greninja than your AV Tornadus. Slowbro can force out opposing Heatran that would threaten Tangrowth, etc. You could try Rock Slide to ease the poor Volcarona match-up, but the inability to run Knock Off or Earthquake will equally hinder you.

Minor Changes

44 Spe EVs on Slowbro

This investment lets Slowbro be faster than Toxapex. This will allow it to either avoid Haze or hit Toxapex with Psyshock before it can be Toxic'd. This in particular is important in case Toxapex is low (from Greninja's prior damage, for example).

Rocky Helmet Utility Tornadus-Therian

Due to the addition of Tangrowth, Tornadus no longer needs to run Assault Vest, as the role of an AV pivot is already covered. Tornadus can instead opt to run Defog to make up for the lack of an Excadrill. Defog truly fleshes out the most of Tornadus' versatility and viability this generation with its ability to Defog on a lot of hazard setters and Regenerator's healing properties. Tornadus can now punish physical attackers like U-turn Landorus and Scarf Kartana easier.

Modest Steelium Z Heatran

Heatran would much prefer a a Steelium Z set to OHKO Alakazam, Latios, etc. These Pokemon, namely the former, can be quite threatening to your team due to the slower nature of it. Before this change, Heatran struggled more with Tyranitar too. This change now eases that and truly makes your statement about this match-up true.

Spikes Greninja-Ash

Running Spikes on Greninja will help weaken bulkier Pokemon. This additional pressure can hurt common switch-ins like Tangrowth. Spikes stacking is almost necessary on most forms of Offense right now for this reason.

Choice Scarf Explosion Landorus-Therian

Landorus can opt to run Choice Scarf for additional speed. This will allow Lando to be a check to Alakazam. Explosion will OHKO a number of Pokemon and can stop a lot of sweeps fast. Landorus is not faster than Volcarona, though, so it will remain a threat.

Importable
Heya, first of all thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I've built a V3 with them implemented and will be testing them out.

At first glance nothing much has changed while some matchups have improved, and I'm definitely happy with that. The only thing i'm not too sure about is the steelium tran but that's just because i'm not used to playing with it, so I'm looking forward to seeing how useful it can be.
Another thing I feel i'm going to miss is the double dance Lando (being locked into EQ is something I hate when there are still immunities around) but I see how explosion can greatly help the team.

I'll write a further update after playing a couple games and seeing how it runs now. Still very scared about Volc but as you already stated I don't think there is enough room on the Thang (official name BTW) to run rock slide.

Quick update after some testing:
Mega gyara is a huge threat, sub beats even tangrowth before megaevolving and just steamrolls the team. Only way to beat it is blowing up with but you cant really do that if he's behind a sub.
AV Tangrowth is nice but it feels pretty passive, and torn too. Sometimes it feels like the team it's missing some power. I'm going to try some LO torn sets and see if it works better. EDIT: after more testing Tang actually fits very well.
Tspikes are also very frustrating to deal with, I usually have to just let torn die to get a big defog off, putting me at a disadvantage for the rest of the game. Pex is especially annoying if there's too much pressure on tran.
Despite there being 3 regen fat mons i'm thinking to be successful this team should be played a lot more offensively than i'm trying to play it now. Will update further soon.
Edit: CM snarl mega sableye was just added to the list of stupid things I lost to (twice) you just lead tran and have to land the magma storm + z steel, or lose. Missed it two out of three times so far.
Further Edit: Hoopa-U is a big threat, especially banded. Gyarados can be actually dealt with, usually you have to figure out if it's mega or Z but if it's clear from team preview it will take a mon and get revenged without too many issues.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)