SM OU Bulky Offense (Or so I thought)

I'll start off by saying I am fairly new but I have been trying this team out, and while I like it, can only manage to get up to around 1250. So I have decided to see if its a problem with the team or me as a player.

Anyways... The point of this team is to be a general bulky offense team. I will admit I chose some Mons because I simply like them, so I will list my "core" if thats what it really is, and see if I can get some good constructive help on how to make it better.

"Core" Mons in this are Volcarona, Mega Sableye, and Garchomp. They compliment each other well and I really like the mons, but the sets they have might need some refining.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Toxic

I use Gar as my main lead. I try to set stealth rocks and then simply widdle down the enemy as much as possible, only switching out when a fast ice user comes in. I have had some success with this. I'm not sure whether dragon tail or roar is better, but I am leaning towards dragon tail, even though it doesn't affect the fairy types I still appreciate the extra chip damage and phasing. I have considered turning him into a wallbreaker/sweeper, as i don't like how fragile greninja or most wall breakers/sleepers are. At the same time, I have come to really appreciate how powerful tankchomp can be, but it seems to be more of a match up issue than play issue.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Discharge

I use Zap as a bulky defoger with some coverage moves to try to hit things the rest of my team is weak against. Mixed success, and I have considered strongly on switching him out but I don't know what too. I def want to a defoger or some other utility. I have considered a wish support clefable, but I hate clefable. I have tried switching him out to umbreon and vaporeon tank/wish support sets, but haven't had much success with either.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

"Bulkarona" as some people put it. I really like this set and mon, and it is the most consistent and reliable member of my team. I don't run an offensive set because I don't really feel the need to. Same reason for hidden power ground. The main reasoning I see behind HP ground is to counter heatran, which I have 0 problems with running this set. Afew Calm Minds and Roosts, and I am ready to widdle heatran down to nothing and sweep the rest of the opponents team.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Mean Look
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Calm Mind

I struggle with M Sab. I really like how bulky the mgea evolution is, but I can't help but try to get some more power out of the lil' guy. That is why I include calmmind and mean look. My htought process was to :trap" mons that can't hurt Sableye that much and build up calm mind stacks. The problem with this is that Calm Mind and Mean Look are both liabilities by themselves, let alone together. I find myself using mean look in hopes to "trap" an enemy mon to set up against but just end up trapping myself instead. Sure, I can usually build up calm minds, and maybe even manage to slug it out with w/e I trapped, but the next switch in outspeeds sableye no problem usually and hits with a physical move. So this is a struggle with me... I will most likely end up switching mean look for knock off and calm mind for protect. Then at least I can get some utility out of this mon before he eats it.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Another struggle option for my team. I am in need of ice and speed often enough that I wanted to consider a fast scarf wallbreaker. Too bad it usually gets killed before accomplishing its mission. I am considering switching gren out for weavile, but im not sure if that would fix the problem. I like the coverage options that this set provides me, at least in theory, but they don't usually end up taking any opponents mons with me and I just look like an idiot trying to use them most of the time.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Another reliable staple to my team, though I would switch out for something else if use full. I like the option to wall strong fairies, but would love to be able to confidently stand up to the Tapus, but they usually run either coverage moves or switch around until Ferrothorn has its item knocked off and isn't able to recover from the beat down. Despite these short comings I think the trouble is just the roll on this team. Ferro is a good wall for sure, I just usually find myself in a position in which I can't switch him out to avoid chip damage, because switching would usually result in multiple members of my team dead instead of just ferro.

Thanks peeps!

Party Ghost

How do u beat cele-pex with this team? I may be old-school but I prefer regular sableye in stall teams, since he needs many other waller supporting him.
Ok, in smogon, team options under volcarona says sableye could be a nice teammate, cause of his ability.. I believe that, whoever wrote it, means volcarona could fit in a stall team as a final sweeper.
You may try:

Garchomp -> sub-sworddance:
Evs: 252atk/252spe/4def
Substitute
Sword dance
Earthquake
Stone edge/dragon claw/outrage

Nice answer to toxapex and heatran, dudes who can wall easily your volcarona.
Toxa's scald won't knock down your substitute and u can set up in piece, or attacking (depends on foe's team)

Greninja -> ash greninja

Works fine with volcarona, as it can chip damage with spikes, and do fast high damage or revenge kill with shurikens scarfed guys like lando-t

Sableye -> dude I really dont like this guy in this team... Try with thunder punch mega mawile, she can wear down celesteela, toxapex for greninja and volcarona, and many other walls who can stop your pokemon to sweep. (smogon set should be fine, just use thunder punch over knok off)

Volcarona is fine

Ferrothorn, put stealth rock over spikes, and thunderwave over gyroball. Mawile and garchomp appreciate some foe's sweeper with their speed stat halved.

Zapdos is fine and crucial. Is the only defogger of the team, which means volcarone depends on him. Try to keep it as healthy as possible.

Ok cool, let me know how it works. And hard hope for more people to correct me and you down here. Idk why sometimes nobody answers..

Thank you for the reply! I'll give the switch to garchomp and ferro and see how it goes. I've been trying kartana in place of grenninja but thats not working well either, so i will give ash gren a shot too.

As far as switching m-sableye out for mega mawhile, im not sure about that. I'll try it, because I do realize I need to counter toxapex and zapdos doesn't have the power to do it. I was also considering m-matios/latias, but dont want to make my team to weak to ice.

Edit: one more thing: In my experience, heatran is just set-up fodder for volcarona. they either switch out or let me build Quiver stacks and nuke their team. Haven't had any heatran ive ran against be able to wally volcarona yet.

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)