Buying a new laptop

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lenovo T500 is a very good investment. If you go on the Lenovo outlet, you can actually get one for less than one thousand dollars. Durability, performance, and even graphics are top notch for a business line computer. If you can live with a Radeon Mobility 3650, go for it. I am considering one of those (although I want better graphics).

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just got a Lenovo T500 myself for work, and it's pretty solid. The HD3650 is really not a bad card for a laptop. It is, however, more of a battery drain than integrated graphics (but you can switch it off in the BIOS).

Eraddd

One Pixel
I just got a Lenovo T500 myself for work, and it's pretty solid. The HD3650 is really not a bad card for a laptop. It is, however, more of a battery drain than integrated graphics (but you can switch it off in the BIOS).
I was amazed at the capabilities of the T500 and plus the durability (my friend dropped his down a flight of 9 feet stairs. Still working, with one tiny scratch at the side). I really really want one, but i wish they had a better graphics card.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a Dell Inspiron, and apart from self-inflicted damage(i spilled coffee on it) it has given me absolutely no problems whatsoever. It's a good deal IMO. However, make sure you order a Business model, since you'll need antivirus, I'm sure.
The anti-virus programs that come with most laptops is utter shit. They take up more system resources than necessary, are ineffective, and require a yearly subscription.

Wipe what your computer comes with and install the free Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

For my next laptop I'm probably going to look at the Asus Thin and Light series with the low-power processors. They have about 11 hours of battery life which would be really handy for me. I know it's not a priority for you, but you can take a look: http://www.amazon.com/UL50VT-A1-Light-15-6-Inch-Black-Laptop/dp/B002P3KMPI/

That's the 15". I'm personally looking at a smaller one (they also have it in 14", 13", and 11") Sadly, I don't know what stores in Malta would carry it or what prices it would be at over there.

Eraddd

One Pixel
The anti-virus programs that come with most laptops is utter shit. They take up more system resources than necessary, are ineffective, and require a yearly subscription.

Wipe what your computer comes with and install the free Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

For my next laptop I'm probably going to look at the Asus Thin and Light series with the low-power processors. They have about 11 hours of battery life which would be really handy for me. I know it's not a priority for you, but you can take a look: http://www.amazon.com/UL50VT-A1-Light-15-6-Inch-Black-Laptop/dp/B002P3KMPI/

That's the 15". I'm personally looking at a smaller one (they also have it in 14", 13", and 11") Sadly, I don't know what stores in Malta would carry it or what prices it would be at over there.
The Issue I have with this laptop is its processor. It's fine and dandy to have a very good battery life (my friend has this one, and he says it only lasts approx. 9 hours) but the process with 1.3 is just too weak for my taste

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, I haven't found a supplier for Asus here in Malta, and the only Asus laptops I saw were low-end netbooks from general electronics stores. Sad, really. I'll try to ask my friends about who gets Asus laptops here in Malta, and my search would be complete.

Okay, so I reinstated HP in my considerations.

Also, the T500 is outside of my budget regarding the Lenovo. I was looking at the SL series that would fit my budget and that would still have what I'm looking for, give or take.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't buy a Mac, that's all I have to say.

Dell and/or HP have nice cheap shit, but building your own PC could be the best.
Who the hell builds their own laptop? Read the first post at the very least before posting.

The Issue I have with this laptop is its processor. It's fine and dandy to have a very good battery life (my friend has this one, and he says it only lasts approx. 9 hours) but the process with 1.3 is just too weak for my taste
It comes pre-overclocked to 1.73 GHz I believe. My laptop is a 2.0 Core Duo so I think I'd be able to get on with a 1.73 GHz Core 2 Duo just fine.

My roommate got the 12" one and I must admit it is one sweep laptop. Extremely light, awesome battery, great quality. However, I like this one more because of the switchable graphics!

Of course, I like my U3S better :P. I got mine from ExcaliberPC since they ship internationally. They have great costumer service: The first day I had my U3S I "accidentally" bricked it while trying to upgrade the BIOS. Sadly, since I live in Puerto Rico, for some reason Asus couldn't accept a direct shipment from here to get it repaired. I contacted ExcaliberPC, and they let me send the computer to them and they would take care of contacting Asus. A few weeks later I got my computer back with no problem, and didn't have to pay a thing. :)

Oh, and yeah I agree with Firestorm about pre-installed anti-virus. I also strongly recommend avast! anti-virus, I have been using it for like forever and has worked wonderfully (plus the Home Edition is free!).

I didn't say before, I use the Dell Latitude D630 and my brothers have the chunkier D830s (I move mine to and from university, they don't; theirs have graphics cards that enable them to play games like Dragon Age whereas I'm stuck with the Intel 640 basic one which plays fuck all.)

Other than that, my laptop is great; it's ex-business use (my Dad got it cheap that way), which is why the graphics card isn't up to snuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)