Rejected Calculate elo change with battle-start rating

Geysers

But my sorrows, they learned to swim
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Currently it seems that elo change after a battle is calculated using the players' elos at the end of the battle. I believe that this is a problem, and should be changed, so that rating change is calculated using the players' elos at the start of the battle.

Notably, the current system allows the potential for substantial abuse. If I queue into a roughly equally rated player, and gain a decisive upper hand, I could maliciously queue and throw multiple games while intentionally dragging out the end of the battle, so that my defeated opponent takes a much larger elo hit than they otherwise would. This would be especially damaging, say, at the end of ladder tours, when even a few elo could make a huge difference and someone who wouldn't necessarily qualify could drag down someone else at the same time.

It also creates frustrating dynamics when playing multiple battles at once, where it becomes in one's best interest to timerstall a decisively winning game that's being played at the same time as a losing game in order to complete the loss first, and thus gain more elo from the win, and less from the loss. Anything that incentivizes timerstalling is bad.

Please change this (it'd be really nice for ladder tours). Thanks!

edit: a change like this might also need to come with a reduction in k-factor for 1000 elo players because taking this to its logical extreme would mean that if I load 6 games at 1000 elo I'd gain a whole bunch from beating them one-after-the-other

Last edited:

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
1) This seems a lot like it's a solution in search of a problem. Has this ever actually happened?
2) This would get bad fast. Under the same issue you currently describe, if we store their rating at the beginning of the battle, then they could simply hold one battle open as a backstop, and then if they go on a losing streak, they can just forfeit that first battle and have their rating reset to slightly below what they had originally.
Rejecting this.

Geysers

But my sorrows, they learned to swim
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1) This seems a lot like it's a solution in search of a problem. Has this ever actually happened?
2) This would get bad fast. Under the same issue you currently describe, if we store their rating at the beginning of the battle, then they could simply hold one battle open as a backstop, and then if they go on a losing streak, they can just forfeit that first battle and have their rating reset to slightly below what they had originally.
Rejecting this.
1) yes, this has happened. Nothing that's impacted a ladder tour qualification as far as I know, but I've heard anecdotally of people abusing this when they snipe someone on ladder.
2) I'm not saying that the changes should overwrite older ones, merely that the change in elo should be calculated using the beginning elo. For instance, in the situation you described where the person keeps a battle open, the loss in elo from that forfeit would (ideally) simply be subtracted from whatever their real elo was at the end of the battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)