Canada = Parliement in crisis

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What is going on right now is quite crazy and without precedent on the federal level.

The opposition formed a coalition to take over the government. We might go to elections again already (not even 3 months after the last elections) or we might not. A lot will actually depend on the decision of someone I thought was entirely useless, the governor general, who happens to be a Liberal.

I can't help but believe the threat of removing funding to political parties by the PCC government is truely was caused this situation, regardless of what the coalition says; all political parties minus the PCC are extremely dependant on them. Whatever the reason may be, Harper burned himself trying to run a minority government like he had a majority.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to start a topic on this to get some more information from people more in tune with the who/what/why/how of our political system. As someone who votes NDP, I actually see this coalition as a positive thing. I don't think I'd trust the NDP in complete control of the country, but there are a lot of things I agree with them on and the NDP MP in my riding was the one who best represented my interests.

I see this coalition as one that is going to negotiate to lead the country. Compromises will be made and every party, although not having full power, should be able to come away with something for the people who voted for them, right? It seems like how a minority government should act and I'm assuming the NDP and Bloc will not blindly follow the Liberals, but will instead keep them in check without trying to sabotage them for political gains.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It is amazing how ill-prepared the coalition was to still boldly make that move. A lot of it showed in that video Stéphane Dion just made addressing the nation. It looked like it was filmed from a cell phone.

They have Stéphane Dion assume the position of 'would-be' Prime Minister, the same man whose huge unpopularity led his party to a record low (recent memory) Liberal vote support. This is meant to be temporary but it still appears inadequate. At first I thought they would just name Ignatieff PM but then again, naming anyone else PM probably would be even more inadequate as they were never true candidates for the position during the elections.

The coalition also has a separatist party assuming the balance of power and that is a main theme in Harper's opposition to it in the medias. But politicians are hypocrites, Harper attempted to create a coalition with the Bloc back before under the Martin Liberal government and the Reform Party attempted the same in 2000.

I am glad for the NPD however and especially Thomas Mulcair, who should get a decent ministry should this coalition goes through.

I still question the coalition's motives. Yes Stephen Harper boldly tested the opposition with measures he knew they would disagree with, going with the assumption the opposition would never dissolve his government and launch new elections so soon after the last. However, he didn't predict a coalition, or at least didn't see it as a big possibility. After it was clear a coalition was in talk, Harper WAS going to put water in his wine.

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSOTW00020020081204

The parliament has been suspended, putting off the crisis.
Oh good. In the middle of an economic crisis, Parliament is on a two month holiday.

Harper really brought this on himself. Winning a minority government doesn't mean you can attack for two-three years, they are going to fight back, and did. He's currently busy attacking the separatist party, after he teamed with them back in 2004, and attacking the coalition when he himself supported a coalition to defeat the liberals. This isn't over by a long shot. I'm hoping for a few changes over the next two months.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I heard about this on the old pokeboard, with much discussion.

I really can't believe this was done by Steven Harper. Canada is continuing its slow slide into recession, and Steven Harper calls off Parliament for nearly two months! Two months where nothing can be done about the problem! Amazing!

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
Political parties are at their own service first. Serving the country comes as a far second objective.

That said, if I were to pick an ideal scenario: the coalition holds for 2 months and is still strong come reopening, Harper massively continues his attacks on it putting emphasis on their alliance with Québec sovereignists. Out of it comes perceived Québec bashing in my province from western Canada, the PCC in general and Stephen Harper which in turn leads to a renewed support for Québec independence. The minority provincial Québec government falls due to their perceived inability to defend the Québécois in Ottawa and the PQ separatist party, assuming power, launches a new referendum on Québec sovereignty. The Québécois cannot swallow this mass amount of blame and escalated anger towards them and with a majority vote for independence.

If all the stars could align....

this is total bullshit, I can't believe Dion pulls off this crap after a whooping load of Canadians said we don't want you to be our Prime Minister.

I don't think it was Dion's initial plan. Harper pushed him so far before the last election, this was really the only thing he could do against him that wouldn't call yet another election.

There is so much liberal/NDP hate on the media out here, it's incredibly disturbing. Even though there's really nothing wrong with what the parties are doing.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is total bullshit, I can't believe Dion pulls off this crap after a whooping load of Canadians said we don't want you to be our Prime Minister.
We didn't want any of the current candidates as Prime Minister. I voted for Don Davies to represent me, not Jack Layton. Personally, I think an NDP-Liberal coalition that would be willing to compromise with each other is better than a Conservative government which seems unwilling to cooperate. However, I'm not sure about the economic issue. Do we really need that stimulus package the Liberals and NDP are proposing? That part seems like a power grab.

Yeah but then again, didn't 2/3 of all Canadians didn't want Harper as their PM?
Here's my answer to this:
Harper does nothing.
Dion does shit.

Would you rather have "nothing" or "shit"?

Pretty sure almost all Canadians thought of that before heading to the polls, the 58% of us anyways. (shrug)

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While my knowledge on Canadian government is pretty much nonexistent, I can't help but shake the feeling that the U.S. isn't the only country screwing itself over. Well, at least we'll have to wait and see what Obama does, but that's something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)