CAP 10 CAP 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

WOOP

Now that we have the artwork decided, it's time to talk names. You will submit your ideas here.

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard

Aside from the usual, the rules include:

• Names must be marked as final submissions to get into the polls. Be sure to make it clear to me in your post that the name you want to submit is your final submission.

• Only one final submission per person. This is for cutting down on the inevitably large number of names that will be proposed in this thread. You're allowed to post multiple names and get feedback, but you may only consider one of these names your final submission.

• The length limit for Pokemon names is 10 characters. This is the limit that exists in-game, and it's the limit that we will be using for submissions here.

• Do NOT post just to say that you like another name. Your post will be infracted/deleted. The system here is that names that get a lot of support will grab my attention more than ones that don't, but it's not that hard to back up your post with reasoning. For example, "I like the name Dumbreon Dan because in addition to being catchy, it's also fitting because it paints an accurate picture of the intelligence level of this Pokemon" is going to be allowed because it's descriptive, whereas "I like the name Dumbreon Dan a lot" is spam and will be deleted/infracted.

And go.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

Prawnto [Prawn + Pronto [an idiom for immediately] (also pwn)]

Used in a sentence: Get me a counter, Prawnto!

Final Submission

Final Submission:
Frittere:
Fritter (Delicious fried foods often containing shrimp) + Ampere (a measured unit of electric current).

Has the added benefit of sounding like "Tare" at the end, as in "Tare Weight." It essentially means to re-zero the scale. CAP10 is kinda supposed to counter stuff and even the playing field, so it loosely fits. I guess it also sounds like critter.

Edit: Oh, snap, Deck Knight. Nice.

Final Submission

Crevescent

Crevette + Luminescent = Crevescent

Not at all complicated and is easy to say. Resembles the concept art too, as the thing is a shrimp and is luminescent.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Final Submission

Cardinamp

The “Cardina” part comes from “Caridina serratirostris” or “ninja shrimp”, which seemed suitable for the design. I shortened it a little because in my head I always think of it as “cardina” and not “Caridina”. The “amp” denotes its electric typing and tries to make it sound English.

Final Submission

Final Submission

Scampere

Shrimp scampi pasta with an emphasis on the amp (as in "ampere," the unit for an electric current). The verb "to scamper" also reflects CAP10's small stature and high speed stat.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I know this has been said before, but

FINAL SUBMISSION

Jumbolt

Jumbo (shrimp) + Volt/Bolt. Pretty simple to remember, too. The Jumbo also helps explain the 151 HP.

Jimbolt??? I think this one explains the bulk better!

Also I'm copyrighting Lobthor in case I decide to change my mind on Jumbolt. It's just Lobster + Thor, and it's not too hard to remember considering it sounds like a foreigner mispronouncing lobster lol

Final Submission:
Ampshray
[Amp + Shr-] {Amp-shh-ray}. I used a little bit of pig latin for this idea, though Shrimp in Pig Latin would be Impshray. Pig Latin is a language with no clear origin, and is created only by those who use it, similar to how CAP's are created and used only by us at Smogon. It also includes Amp, a term in Electricity, which is the main type for the CAP. It even sounds similar to Amscray, an existing Pig Latin word for scram.

Used in a sentence: Ampshray, I need you to take out Breloom.

[Edit] Dammit Sinister Samurai, we had very similar (if obvious) ideas

Final Submission

Shokrus Shock + Crustacean, pretty short and simple, easy to remember.

Sentence - Shokrus, use Hidden Power on Swampert!

This is quite possible the most corny name posible but it must be said...

Overkrill

Overkill (To destroy with a bunch of nukes) + Krill (A Shrimp-like creature)

I guess this will be my Final Submission

I propose Bubbolt or Bubbabolt.
Why? You ask.

Well, allow me to tell you a story about a man. A man with a strangely formed lip. A man who knew all there was to know about shrimp. And I quote:

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
This man died in a war. The Vietnam War. And I propose that we name this CaP in memory of him, brave soldier, fantastic cook, and good friend (of Forrest Gump, in case you didn't realize).

Also, bubba=bubbles + bolt (water+electric)

[Edit] Dammit Sinister Samurai, we had very similar (if obvious) ideas
Yeah. It was tough trying to decide between Shramp and Shrampere (Ampere). They're both kinda awkward though. 10 character limit put an end to Shrimplatude (modulation) before it even got started. Shrimpopotamus (named for my dog) and Shrimpwattpotamus also got the axe. Salt Watt-er Scampi was a nifty pun, but also way too long.

The only other one I had even considered was Gigaprawn. It lends itself to prevos (Kiloprawn, Megaprawn), and I can always pretend I'm Dr. Emmit Brown and pronounce it "Jigaprawn."

There are so many here that didn't even occur to me. I feel shamed.

PS:
  • Names must be marked as final submissions to get into the polls. Be sure to make it clear to me in your post that the name you want to submit is your final submission.
How hardcore is this going to be enforced?

Aww man, my Internet failed me. No worries, I guess I'll just repost my name submission.

As stated previously before my Internet died on me, I tried using crustacean and suborders of the class of shrimp to come up with a snazzy name. But a simple design should have a simple name to support it.

After tossing Zaprawn around in my head for a while, lame now that I think about it, I decided to settle for Elekrill. As in Electric + Krill.

Sentence: Wailord, stop eating those Elekrill.

Singular and plural are the same =D

Edit: Totally forgot to state that this is my final submission

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Edit: Final Submission

I'm going to go with Amprill. (Amp + Krill).

Not really original, but I don't think there's going to be a lot of variation on this one.

BTW, I love Fuzznip's and DK's! Very nice submissions, and rolls off the tongue very nicely.

Exocharge

Exo - Exoskeleton, a body structure all crustaceans have. Charge - Electrical charge

In a sentence - Shit, my team is Exocharge weak.

OK, and here are my ideas. We'll start simple

Amprawn -- Obviously, Ampere + Prawn

I'm not a big fan of simple pormanteau like this, but they seem popular.

Gauscean -- Gauss + Crustacean/Ocean Reminiscent of "Gaussian"

Gauss is pretty big in electricity and magnetism, and Gaussians are very important in signal processing. The relevance of Crustacean should be abundantly clear.

Poisson -- French for fish and an important figure in E+M (The equation for the electric potential from the charges is a form of Poisson's equation)
Rio-Savart -- Rio (Spanish for River) + Biot-Savart (a law that shows how currents create magnetic fields)

These don't fit quite as well, but I felt like posting them because I rather like the wordplay in them.

So, of these, my favorite is Gauscean, but I suspect Amprawn will be more popular.

Scampi or Scampere
Shrimp scampi pasta with an emphasis on the AMP (as in "ampere," the unit of power of an electric current)
Go with Scampere. It incorprates the electric reference better, IMO. I was actually going to post this myself, had you not beaten me to id.

Here are some words if people want to mix and match (save time looking for them since I know many like to do this)

Electric Words:
Ohm (done before), Volt, Watt, Hertz, Amp, Henry, Faraday, Bolt, Jolt, Shock, Electron, Farad, Coloumb

Water Words are too general so, Shrimp-y words:
Shrimp, Prawn, Crustacean, Shell, Fish, Decapod, Exoskeleton, Caridea, Dendrobanchiata

My submissions
Electrawn
Shrolt
Faradea

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't know which one I should pick...

Should I pick Shrymp (A mispelling of shrimp),
Should I pick Shrimpy (Shrimp with a 'y' added on the end),
Should I pick Shrympy (A combination of the above two),
Or should I pick Shorimity ('Sho' refers to Shock, as in Thundershock, 'rim' refers to shrimp, & 'ity' refers to utility, as in 'Utility Counter')?

Oh, & how do I make something a final submission (I'm still new to the site)?

Final Submission

Radiacean

Taken from the word Radiant (emitting rays of light, which the CAP does with his bioluminescence) and Crustacean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)