CAP 10 CAP 10 - Secondary Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two things I would like to suggest:

1: Mono-Electric. Electric already is good in terms of lack of weaknesses, and adding any other type, especially one to sponge Earthquakes, will give Electric more weaknesses than it's worth. It's not worth tradeing a Earthquake weakness to a Weakness to Rock, and Ice, or Fire, and Ice, or Rock and Fire. If CAP10 is faster than your common Earthquaker, then, it probobly won't be losing.

2: Electric/Water:
I was on the fence for Electric or Water, and while this might sound like a beefed up Lanturn... OK, maybe that's what it'll end up as. Let's face it, a lot of common Earthquakers dislike either Water, Electric, or the Ice Beam that 99% of water types automatically get.

Off the top of my Head:
Tyranitar: Hit SE by Water attacks, probobly will be slower than CAP10
Gyarados: Thunderbolt
Salamance: Ice Beam [Provided we get it]
Heatran [Earth Power]: Water move
Flygon: This one will probobly outspeed CAP10, but can fall on the switch-in to an Ice Beam
Gliscor: Ice Beam/Water Move
Metagross: Depends on CAP 10's stats if it could switch in or not
Swampert: Will probobly end up as the counter to an Electric/Water CAP 10.

So, aside from defeating most common Earthquake users, we gain a weakness to Grass [Not common] and Electric [Canceled], but gain resists to Fire, Ice, and Water, ALL very common attacking types.

Keeping EQ weakness, being able to discourage common EQ'ers, and gaining 3 useful resists > Being weak/immune to EQ, and gaining even more harmful weaknesses
I'd say that the problem with your post is that you are thinking about countering a whole bunch of stuff... but all at once. With Electric/ Water every set will be Electric/ Water/ Ice/ Coverage which destroys the point of having such a pokemon. Why not use Suicune?

I'm suggesting Electric/ Poison. Giving this thing two good STAB moves just means that it will be running them all the time, and every pokemon needs a downfall less it become broken. Even if we are dooming it to a four times weakness there is still Magnet Rise and Levitate to mediate those. Poison's useful Toxic and Toxic Spike immunity are a key aspects to succeeding. Getting Toxic Poisoned on the switch cripples CAP10 before it's even had a chance.

I also like Electric/ Flying and I want to see how we can differentiate it from Zapdos. It's a great typing, only being weak to Ice and Rock, though the 25% hit on the switch is a bit daunting, Flying eliminates the Ground weakness and gives CAP10 immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Flying is also an lesser used attacking type, which ensures that not every CAP10 will be running Dual STAB/Coverage. What Zapdos carries Flying moves?

Awww... first Water is beaten, then so is Fighting... Electric will have to do.

The biggest issue with Electric is its Ground weakness. This means there's a weakness to the sometimes-used Earth Power and the ever-present Earthquake. If CAP 10 is a utility counter, it should be able to switch into Ground-type moves. That means its secondary typing has to resist Ground (or use Levitate). Levitate is out of the picture (at least for me) because another ability would be much more useful (*coughTRACEcough*) for a utility counter. That means its secondary typing should be Flying, Grass, or Bug. Flying is weak to Rock, Ice, and Electric (negated by Electric type), which makes it weak to Stealth Rock, and if this is switching in and out, that wouldn't be very appealing. Grass gives weaknesses to Fire, Ice, Bug, Poison, and Flying (Flying is negated by Electric). The first three are common attacking types in the form of Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and U-Turn. Next is Bug. Bug gives weaknesses to Rock, Fire, and Flying. Again, Flying is negated by the Electric-typing. But now it's Stealth Rock weak again.

So Flying, Grass, or Bug. Flying and Bug are, again, Stealth Rock weak. Let's throw that out the picture. Now we have Grass. As unfortunate the Fire and Ice weaknesses are, that can be avoided with Thick Fat (*coughSTILLGOINGFORTRACEcough*). Even if Thick Fat isn't used, all you have to do is make sure you don't switch in on a Fire or Ice move (yes, leave the flaws of the Pokemon to the skill of the battler). Or, don't switch in on a Bug or Poison move. Scizor, who usually has U-Turn, can eat bug repellant because it has a 4x weakness to Fire, and if CAP10 has a Fire move, CAP 10 just needs to avoid U-Turn and subsequently cook it to crisp (yum).

So I'm going for Grass.

Plus, Grass is a cool type that you can make a bunch of puns out of. For example, "IMMA KICK YO' GR@SS!". Or, "KISS MY GR@SS!" Or even, "CAP10, GET YO' GR@SS OUTTA THERE!" Catchy, isn't it?

Time to make my usual post, verbatim of my other posts. Despite the unfortunate win for electric (which really isn't too bad at all), not much has changed about what should be done regarding typing.

This Pokemon should be customizable to counter just about every Pokemon or Pokemon niche in the metagame, while only being able to counter one or very few Pokemon at once. Because of this, something static that we cannot customize during team building such as type, should do as little for CAP10 as possible. By "do as little as possible", I mean it should provide very few resistances and even fewer weaknesses.

Because of this, I support Mono Electric. Tacking on another type to CAP10 only creates more problems for it, regardless of what's chosen. Unfortunately for CAP10, there's nothing that can be done about its ground weakness without moving too far away from the concept, and therefore nothing should be done about it.

The three types with ground resistance/immunity just aren't very good. Grass is a joke. Bug is damned by Fire attacks and stealth rock. Flying, the best choice, still has a huge amount of flaws. The weakness to common Ice and fairly common Rock attacks, as well as that deadly weakness to stealth rock make Flying a very poor choice for CAP10. As far as Ice weakness vs. Ground weakness goes, I believe the Ice weakness is actually less damaging, but the additional Rock weakness and the stealth rock weakness it brings with it make Flying an unacceptable type for CAP10.

Fighting is the only secondary type I see as being semi-viable for CAP10, but I still believe it would be extremely silly. We'd be tacking on a bunch of weaknesses and resistances with no actually goal in mind other than SR resistance, which was very nice feature of the Fighting type for main type, but is far from necessary. Also, the pursuit/sucker punch resistance was an small treat at best, and at this point it's fairly neglegable (when it came down to Electric vs. Fighting, they were so close in viability that every little advantage counted). Since lots of people seem to think that a CAP with one type is crazy talk, I'd have to grudgingly support fighting in the case that Mono Electric is removed from the picture.

I'm really feeling Mono-Electric here. Electric is alright as it is and adding another type would just be trading Electric's weaknesses for some others. Sure, the additional resistances and STAB would be nice, but it wouldn't be worth the additional weaknesses, IMO.

Mono-Electric, Electric/Poison w/ Levitate, or Electric/Fighting. The first two have only one weakness and a few handy resistances, while the second could also incorporate Levitate for only one, uncommon weakness, although it's definitely not required.

Grass, Bug, Flying all have far too many weaknesses (the latter two to SR no less) for me to consider viable. A secondary typing of Water could also work, although I see Fighting as having more merit.

Electric/Grass. Is my first choice. It may seem silly with it's weakneses Ice, Fire, Poison and Bug. But if you slap Thick Fat to it, suddently you only have a weaknes to Poison and Bug. With Poison beeing practicly non existant (Even uncommon on pokes that have STAB) That leaves us with a Bug weakness. Or rather, U-Turn weakness, as its prcticly the only Bug move seeing use. But, as most U-Turners are either Slow or Choiced you usaly need to take it as you switch in or they won't be able to use it before you hit them back. And even if this cap where to resist Bug, taking a U-Turn as it switches in won't counter anything as sudently you are facing a new pokemon that it wasn't ment to counter forcing it out without acomplishing anything outside of taking U-Turn damage. Sure taking it netrual or even resisting it will allow it to come in on a U-Turn and the still have a decent amount of health unlike something that's weak to it, allowing it to come in on the same pokemon later in the battle.

The cons to Grass is the Ice and Fire weakness or losing 1 ability to deal with them. U-Turn like I said is pretty good against a counter whether or not they resist it grass happens to be extra weak. Shouldn't Anti-Countering moves be good against a counter?

Electric/Fire. this may also wierd with the weakness to Ground and all. Like I said on Grass, an ability could deal with it. Resisting Fire, Grass, Ice, Electric, Bug, Flying and Steel is pretty sweet as it makes it one of the few types that resist BoltBeem. Allthough with the x4 Ground weakness we practicly limit ourself to use Levitate and that will usaly be the prefered Ability no matter what the second is. But as levitate is a good ability that isn't just usefull to remove ground weakness as it evades Spikes and T-Spike so beeing stuck with it doesn't have to be bad. Finly the Rock, or should I say SR, weakness. This practicly gives it 2 switch in at max (possibly 3 if Lefties are helping). And as most people will (should) just switch out at the sight of CAP10 brining in something that in return forces you to switch out your CAP because it donesn't counter that.

This typing forces us to chose levitate but that doesn't have to be bad, you could still use another ability, aslong as you don't come in on EQ they will asume you have Levitate and wont use it. Allthough if the other ability is something like Intimidate that reveal itself upon switching that won't work. SR weakness is what keeps me from having this on the top on my list. Again, an Anti-Countering move is SE against it. Gets second spot over water simply because it haven't been done before and i think it would look cooler.

Electric/Water. Good type, doesn't add much weakness gives a few cool resistances. Ground Weakness could be dealt with through levitate but it could be fine without it. Grass Knot could be dealt with by making it light. Leaf Storm on the other hand is a bit harder to handle. Best pro being not limited to resist abilities, allthough Grass could work without Thick Fat.

Weak to ground and to a lesser extent Grass.

Electric/Bug. Like Grass but without Ice and Bug weakness at the cost of rock Weakness. It alsowont resist Water and electric x4, but regular resistances should be enough. Not much to say about its weaknesses that haven't been mentioned in the two earlier. It's a little bit more free when it comes to ability, but it still have that wekness to Fire, so Heatproof could be helpfull. Grass could also work good without ability, however bug slightly outclass it because of the fact it only have 2 weaknesses without it as grass have 3.

Weakness to Fire and SR. I personaly think Grass outclass it in allmost every way. Still get a mention for not having an ice weakness like grass does if it doesn't have Thick Fat and that it can take a U-Turn better, allthough the SR weakness makes it lose to U-turn anyways as it will be forced out by another pokemon then when it switch in on it a second time it won't have enough health the do anything special.

Mono Electric is also up somewhere there on my list.

Grass, Fire and Water is the 3 i suport, Bug got a honorable mention, and fighting is something i would be okey with.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be able to do its job, CAP10 is going to need useful resistances, and Electric typing only gives it two (Steel and Electric). Considering that at the minimum, it should be able to counter Salamence, Tyranitar, Heatran, Latias, Gyarados, Jirachi, Metagross, Gengar, Lucario, Infernape and Starmie, it really needs a little more help in terms of resistances. Of these, the most dangerous STABs are Dragon, Fire, Fighting and Water. Jirachi and Metagross at least are less of a threat because of their reliance on Steel STAB. While Steel typing is tempting because of the Dragons, the fact that it is weak to both Fire and Fighting means that this Pokemon would almost never be able to counter Infernape, Heatran, or Lucario regardless. As a result, I believe that planning for the Dragons from a typing standpoint is counterproductive at this point. The best course of action would be to make it easier to take Fire and Water attacks, without being weak to Fighting; this of course strongly suggests Water, and I believe that would be the best course of action for us to take.

Water would be excellent for Electric type in terms of both coverage and extra resistances. I don't particularly like this combination the best but other's have persuaded me to acknowledge it's effectiveness.

Poison, believe it or not would provide a larger sum of resistances as well as Toxic immunity. Poison+Electric hit many pokemon for neutral and it's a very unique type combination that nobody has seen yet. The x4 Ground weakness is a very large turn off but Poison brings alot of unique aspects to this pokemon:

Resistant to U-turn and other nasty bug moves
Immune to Toxic and Toxic Spikes
Resistant to Fighting
Super Effective agianst grass type, which Electric isn't very keen on fighting.

I like poison's coverage against grass more than I like Ice. Simply because BoltBeam's perfect coverage I fear will turn this pokemon into an offensive juggernaut. There would be very little reason to stray away from Boltbeam. Movesets would almost always consist of it, which is not part of this pokemon's concept.

Poison type's ability to only hit Grass type for super effective would make people think before even picking up this STAB. Do I want this CAP to hit Grass type very hard? Or do I want my Electric STAB to be the main force behind it?

I still prefer a Secondary typing in the form of Water, but I just wanted to brainstorm on Poison type due to it's uniqueness and it's nifty combination with Electric that we've never seen before.

Hey, I got a novel idea. How about we actually specify which weaknesses are acceptable and which ones aren't and explain why? Considering that, come playtesting, lots of pokemon are gonna start running moves specifically to beat CAP10 since that's basically what happens when a new threat enters a metagame, I don't see why, for example, a weakness to Dark would be better than a weakness to Fighting. For your convenience, I've even given a list of all the types CAP10 could end up being weak to.

Bug
Dark
Dragon
Fighting
Fire
Ghost
Grass
Ground
Ice
Poison
Psychic
Rock
Water

EDIT: Novel idea #2: we specify which resistances are vital to CAP10 and explain why. Again, I'll list all the types CAP10 can resist or be immune to.

Bug
Dark
Dragon
Electric
Fighting
Fire
Flying
Ghost
Grass
Ground
Ice
Normal
Poison
Psychic
Rock
Steel
Water

Only once we have done both of these can we be sure of picking the best secondary typing for the job.

I support Mono-electric. I don't think that this CAP needs a secondary typing to fulfill its concept effectively. Water and fighting would both be awesome but in my opinion neither of them add enough to be worth using

For reference, here are the OUs that resist Electric

Code:
Breloom
Celebi
Electivire
Flygon
Gliscor
Hippowdon
Jolteon
Latias
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Roserade
Rotom-A
Swampert

Grass, Water, and Fighting seem to the frontrunners, so herre is how they affect CAP10 offensively.

GRASS
Resisted:
Breloom
Celebi
Latias
Magnezone
Roserade

Super Effective:
Hippowdon
Mamoswine
Swampert

Neutral:
Electivire
Flygon
Gliscor
Jolteon
Rotom-A

WATER
Resisted:
Breloom
Celebi
Latias
Roserade

Super Effective:
Gliscor
Hippowdon
Mamoswine

Neutral:
Electivire
Flygon
Jolteon
Magnezone
Rotom-A
Swampert

FIGHTING
Resisted:
Celebi
Gliscor
Latias
Roserade
Rotom-A

Super Effective:
Magnezone
Mamoswine

Neutral:
Breloom
Electivire
Flygon
Hippowdon
Jolteon
Swampert

So by looking at this, Water adds the best coverage overall. Grass is outclassed by Water offensively, as water hits magnezone neutrally, while Gliscor and Swampert are switched around. Fighting surprisingly looks the worst, with the least SE hits and probably the worst list of resisted pokemon (Rotom-A).

Water is my favorite. It is the best on offense, and very solid defensively. If the Grass weakness is really bad, we can always make CAP10 really light, so Grass Knot isn't a problem, but I doubt it will be. Other than that, the Ground weakness is it, and it has awesome resistances to Ice and Fire, along with Water

Mono-Electric is the next best choice. It has similar perks to Water, and only lacks water's great group of resistances.

I don't really get Grass, however. It has terrible weaknesses to Fire and Ice, and the only advantage it gives over Water is the neutrality to Ground. Flamethrower+Fire Blast+Ice Beam is more common than EQ. So Water is my current choice.

Electric/Steel has some very nice options, and is my first choice.

• Resists the BoltBeam combo.
  • Immune to poison.
  • Resists Dragon.
  • Resists Steel.
  • Resists Bug.
  • Resists Rock and therefore SR.
  • Resists Dark.
  • Electric/Steel's biggest weakness (Ground) can easily be neutralized.
All of those types are extremely common, and with those amazing resistances it will be able to switch in often. It also resists Ghost, Flying, Normal, and Grass. Weaknesses to Fighting, Ground, and Fire are the tradeup for the other benefits, but as I have mentioned, Ground can easily be neutralized. While the other two weaknesses are dangerous, they keep CAP 10 in check.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really do not think that there is any reason to consider CAP10's STAB moves. The idea is that you can make it into a counter for anything, but not everything. This is most easily done by packing super-effective moves from a wide movepool. Do we want CAP10 to always counter pokemon weak to its STABs? As mentioned, the Electric/Fighting STABs aren't great in terms of coverage, which might encourage CAP 10 not always to use them, and therefore will help us to achieve our goal.

Electric/Fighting looks best in terms of weaknesses/resistances to me, provided we attempt to mitigate its Ground weakness. As mentioned, in order to repeatedly check any pokemon, it is useful not to be at all vulnerable to Pursuit or SR. Psychic is not really a relevant weakness. I also think that it is good to use an unexplored typing, so the best alternatives, in my opinion, Mono-electric and Water/Electric, would be less interesting.

EDIT: Actually, I quite like the idea of Electric/Poison. This is an unexplored area even more so than Fighting (given the previous Fighting-type CAP pokemon), and has similarly good resistances. Poison is also a pretty rubbish STAB, which encourages the move variety we want.

I got on after thinking about the secondary typing to vote Bug and to explain my reasoning only to find Yllnath saying everything I wanted to say. (Ironically after checking LFG for and update.)

I agree with jc104.The total weaknesses and resistances of an

Electric - Fighting
type would be :

Weaknesses

2x
Psychic
Ground

4x
Nothing (correct-me if i'm wrong)

Resistances
2x
Bug
Rock
Dark
Steel
Electric

4x
Nothing

So,i choose the Electric - Fighting type.It would have nice resistances and only 2 weaknesses.Also,the STABs are great :D

I think Fighting and Poison would be types to consider.

Poison would be my preferred secondary typing. There are very very few Poison-types present in OU if any at all, which is a shame because it's an excellent defensive typing. =0 It resists Fighting, Bug, and Steel, while only being weak to the ever-uncommon Psychic moves, giving it excellent potential to counter Scizor and others solely via typing. Now the obvious flaw with this typing is the 4x Ground weakness, which someone is sure to bring up if I don't address it-- Obviously you can just fix that with Levitate. I understand people's concerns about restricting the customizability of CAP-10 just by slapping Levitate on him to fix the Ground weakness, but with Poison as the secondary typing, I think it still leaves a lot of room for potential customization. It seems to me like Poison is the best suited to give this thing the highest degree of potential customizability, even WITH Levitate taking up the ability slot.

-EDIT- I just noticed the comments of Dominion and pkmn-taicho about this typing... It got me thinking that it could still have a secondary ability in addition to Levitate that would allow it to combat stall teams by absorbing Toxic and TSpikes. Other guys like Heatran and Scizor get away with 4x weaknesses while still being useful, I don't see why CAP-10 can't too.

-EDIT again- I thought Alto Angelo's little thing of weaknesses and resistances of the Electric-Fighting combo was cool, so I'll do the same for Electric-Poison.

Weaknesses:
2x
- Psychic

4x
- Ground (fixed with Levitate)

Resistances:
2x
- Fighting
- Electric
- Bug
- Grass
- Steel
- Flying

Immune
- Poison

Fighting has been argued for already and there are lots of reasons why it would be good, such as added resistances to SR and Pursuit, while only gaining the uncommon weaknesses of Psychic and Flying. My biggest problem with Fighting is the fact that there are so many fighting types already-- even if you just look at previous CAPs, you have Arghonaut and Revenankh... I feel like we should be exploring more territory. No question that it would be a great type, but I'd like to see something more.

I really like Poison. Changing a x2 Ground weakness into a x4 Ground weakness isn't that big of a deal in my opinion, because CAP10 wasn't ever going to be countering things like Mamoswine and Flygon without Bug/Grass/Flying dual typing anyway (and if I'll be honest, all of those types suck as they open up way too many problems). Plus Ground is commonly seen alongside Fire or Ice, which makes it pretty pointless.

If you neglect the effects of more Ground damage then, Poison only gives an additional Psychic weakness. I will admit that it's not ideal because there are some Pokemon out their that use their Psychic STAB (Azelf, Jirachi, possibly Metagross), but unless we shoot for mono-Electric with Levitate we will always have a weakness of some kind. And if you have to have a weakness, at least make it something uncommon like Psychic.

Onto the benefits of Poison. First, resists. Fighting resistance is super cool and goes a long way when it comes to switching in against Lucario and Infernape. Grass isn't spectacular but I guess with Poison typing you can stick the middle finger up at that little cock known as Breloom, and also helps against Celebi (which by the way you now have a STAB Sludge Bomb to kill with). Bug resistance (aka U-turn resistance) is neat against the most commonly seen Pokemon Scizor.

Poison also means you don't get Poisoned. That counts for quite a lot on a defensive Pokemon. If CAP10 doesn't get Levitate for some reason, or if you choose to use its other ability, then it's still immune to TSpikes (as a defensive Pokemon, CAP10 likes taking as little secondary damage as possible).

Finally it just looks... really interesting. A lame argument I know, but Poison/Electric just strikes me as a wonderfully weird typing that's just begging to be explored.

EDIT @ lots of people: Note that if CAP10 gets Levitate, then that's not the end of it. Remember that it has access to two abilities, not one. If we choose Levitate, then there's still room for a second ability like Thick Fat, Filter, or the mighty Trace.

I was thinking about this today and I've come up with Water and Steel as my favourite picks.

Water/Electric (aka Lanturn) is a solid defensive typing. A quad resist of Steel can be great to counter OU's #1 Pokemon. It also resists Water, Fire and Ice all very common and powerful attacking types. Furthermore, the offensive coverage, while good, is insufficient to easily sweep, though Water types generally get Ice attacks but we will cross that bridge later. Truth be told, Lanturn has always held a soft spot for me as he's a star on my old Hax Team. The way Water/Electric neuters Scizor is really impressive.

Steel/Electric (aka Magnezone) is a fantastic defensive typing. Having the same weaknesses as pure Steel (though slightly augmented) but with the added bonus of some nice quad resists (Steel, Flying) and an Electric resist. It pairs magnificently with Salamence and Gyarados, providing resistances to all types between the two. Furthermore, it's offensive coverage is decently neutrally. It hits most of the top OU types for good damage but is not so good to encourage offense. The only downside is the weaknesses to common types that Steel brings. However, if Dragons are on the list of things to counter, the only alternative is some sort of reusable Haban Berry or other custom ability.

Fighting/Electric, to me, screams offense. The STAB is too good not to use and the resistances are meh at best. While this is indeed a viable alternative thanks to Abilities, I feel it's a step against what CAP10 has been shaping up to be.

Finally, I would be hesitant to go with Flying or Ghost as that role is filled in OU nicely. Bug and Grass, while neutralizing Earthquake bring out too many negative weaknesses to be really a good idea IMO.

While I argued earlier for a typing that would give us a safe offensive and defensive spread, I feel that now that we have a typing that does that (Electric), I feel we need a secondary typing that acts more like a singularity. Or to put it very plainly: Work effectly on it's own. I don't want to see the secondary typing being seen as a type only chosen to support the Electric type.

Fighting and Poison both stand alone and aren't there just to back up Electric type. They are actually functioning on a different level and are there to do something completely different and not simply compounding on Electric's tendencies. Which means this pokemon is handling a broader problems, not just handling 1 specific problem very well.

x4 Ground type isn't so bad. Hell, Heatran gets away with it. I simply don't want this pokemon having a huge number of exploitations. Electric/Poison has only 1 real weakness when only calculating typing into the equation: super ground weakness. This is good.

Electric/Fighting doesn't have the mega ground weakness but I feel that this pokemon will become a psuedo-priority counter if we do take this route. Being resistant to the dark priorities, U-turn and compounding the bullet punch resistance is something totally different than countering specific threats. I like the Stealth Rock resistance but its not necessary.

This pokemon really doesn't have to switch in a lot. If it's geared to counter specific threats then it'll switch into it's intended target, beat it, then proceed to be a form of "back-up sweeper/wall/whatever" thus, once it's target is destroyed, you have to ask how beneficial is the resistances once your facing something that you didn't intend for this pokemon to handle? How far will those resistances take me with X defenses or Y Attack power?

With poison, we have a garanteed Toxic/Toxic Spikes absorber. This will help counter Stall in general as Stall has a tendency to lay down the poison.

Of course this isn't set in stone and I'm still not 100% certain Electric/Poison is the way to go.

I'd like to hear other's opinions on it.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Right, I'll just copy and paste the selection from the main typing discussion.

Code:
Electric (Ground) – Resists Electric, Flying, Steel
Normal/Electric (Ground, Fighting) – Resists Electric, Flying, Steel, Ghost
Water/Electric (Grass, Ground) – Resists Fire, Water, Ice, Flying, Steel
Electric/Fighting (Ground, Psychic) – Resists Electric, Bug, Rock, Dark, Steel
Electric/Poison (Ground, Psychic) – Resists Electric, Grass, Fighting, Poison, Flying, Bug, Steel
Electric/Flying (Ice, Rock) – Resists Grass, Fighting, Ground, Flying, Bug, Steel
Electric/Bug (Fire, Rock) – Resists Electric, Grass, Fighting, Steel
I cannot see a single possible reason why we should have any type, whatsoever, that when combined with Electric has more than two weaknesses. Full stop. I don't care if Grass is 'cool' or 'aesthetically pleasing', four weaknesses for four resistances is not a reasonable swap. Seriously, it is a horrible defensive typing. Thus, we get the type combinations in the above table. They are, in no particular order:

(Mono-Electric)
Normal
Water
Fighting
Flying
Bug
Poison

So runs my thought process, and the list of possible types can easily be lowered from 17 to 7. Excellent. Now if we weed through them some more, Normal is a very poor option. It gives us a nasty weakness to Fighting in exchange for an immunity to Ghost-type moves. Well, I don't really think that's a fair swap, so I'll scratch it as Mono-Electric is simply better. What next? Oh, there are very, VERY few walls or defensive Pokemon that can recover from the curse of a Stealth Rock weakness. Even though Bug and Electric are the only types on this list that can rid us of a Ground-type weakness, the Stealth Rock weakness is simply too big to ignore. And nobody say 'Mountaineer' or I'll get deeply annoyed.

So, we are left with Water, Fighting, Poison, and Mono-Electric. Here are my thoughts on each:

Electric
Resistances (3): Electric, Flying, Steel
Weaknesses (1): Ground
Comments: Not a bad typing at all. Only one weakness is what it's giving - it doesn't have many resistances however. I really, really don't want CAP10 to have too many weaknesses, so Mono-Electric seems solid in that regard, but it will have to pick up on the lack of resistances with high defensive stats. If it doesn't have those, it may struggle.
Recommended: YES

Electric/Water
Resistances (5): Fire, Ice, Water, Flying, Steel
Weaknesses (2): Grass, Ground
Comments: This is another excellent choice. The two types merge really well, and we get a really good bunch of resistances out at the other end. However, the price we pay for these great resistances is one extra weakness, to Grass (but then again we could just make it really light, like Vaporeon, to avoid Grass Knot). From a defensive and offensive point of view this is a really good typing, but bulky Water-types have had a lot of highlight on them admittedly.

Electric/Fighting
Resistances (5): Electric, Rock, Bug, Dark, Steel
Weaknesses (2): Ground, Psychic
Comments: I don't really like this typing to be honest. Fighting has nice resistances but they are usually confined to a very small, select group of Pokemon (unlike Water). I also don't think that the STAB coverage is worth it. It's good, but it seems that it doesn't really offer that much over Mono-Electric.
Recommended: NO

Electric/Poison
Resistances (7): Electric, Grass, Fighting, Poison, Flying, Bug, Steel
Weaknesses (2): Ground, Psychic
Comments: Personally, I think that think is a fantastic typing. SEVEN resistances total, quite a lot of them important, as Poison is an excellent defensive typing. The Electric STAB is sufficient to cover the offensive side, and the 4x Ground weakness can be worked around. All in all, I think this is probably my favourite of the bunch, or at least tied with Water.

So, in conclusion, I am advocating in the following order: Poison, Water and Mono-Electric.

I'm altering my stance after seeing people's arguments... I think Electric/Poison is really the only way to go, here's what it has over Electric/Water (easily the other best typing combo) and Electric-Fighting to demonstrate this.

Poison :
- immunity to Poison and Toxic Spikes
- Resistances to Grass & Fighting = solid Breloom counter, plus Lucario, Heracross, and pretty much every other prominent OU Fighting-type I can think of. Negating Electric's common problems with Grass attacks is also nice.
- 4x Ground weakness, which is a problem, but it can be fixed with Levitate or paired with other Levitators to fix. Most people in their right mind aren't going to leave their Poke in against a 4x effective attack, so to me, this is actually less worrisome than a regular 2x weakness in a way.

Water:
- Resistances to Fire, Water, and Ice = some very important resistances to have... very good.
- Weakness to Grass = an uncommon type, but it still exists on guys like Celebi and Infernape, and I think it'd be a shame to allow them to so easily counter this. But, you DO have to have weaknesses, so... *shrug*
* Admittedly, the biggest problem I have with this typing is that Lanturn already has it. =\ I'd rather see something new, really.

Fighting :
- strong STAB attacks on both types (but keep in mind, this is meant to be primarily a defensive Pokemon-- making the STAB thing less relevant)
- Resistance to Dark and Rock = resistance to SR & Pursuit, in addition to other offensive moves of the types. In my opinion, these are forgettable perks, because as Dominion mentioned, this thing isn't gonna be needing to switch a lot. Why would the Elc-Poison thing care about getting Pursuited or Sucker Punched anyway?

Electric-Poison is the way to go for me, easily the best of these three.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Congrats for Electric winning the main typing poll! With that out of the way, here's my take on possible pairings:

Electric/Water

Pros: This is kind of the safe pick for Electric, adding only a Grass weakness and adding some useful resistances to Fire, Water, Ice, and 4x to Steel and such. Electric/Water STAB is a powerful combination when paired, perhaps giving it access to STAB moves like Surf and TBolt. Gives CAP10 a reliable way to hit opposing Ground types. The Water typing is also good neutral coverage defensively.

Cons: With that said, a Water/Electric type will still have trouble with Grass and Dragon types unless we were to give it Ice Beam, which would then turn it into a prototypical Bulky Water type. With that fact, Bulky Waters are often the prime target of Toxic users, which this typing will need to address. Electric attacks are now neutral, which isn't terrible but isn't great. We still retain an Earthquake weakness, but this is small.

Mono-Electric

Pros: It's simple, but effective. Retaining a mono-Electric typing would result in no additional weaknesses gained, reducing the threats against CAP 10 compared to multi-typing. This might free up some thought processes for abilities and moves.

Cons: At the same time, I feel that CAP 10 might underachieve as a mono-Electric. It just seems like we can reach further with this concept if we were to add to it. Kind of like how because we haven't added any negatives this way, we aren't adding any positives. It's a neutral choice.

Electric/Bug

Pros: Ground is now neutral, eliminating any need for an ability to counter it. Some useful resistances to Ground, Bug, and Fighting are also decent. Bug hits everything Electric cannot for neutral (perhaps not Ground, but not sure), ensuring good coverage mono-type wise.

Cons: First and foremost, a Stealth Rock weakness. This = not good. Yes, CAP10 is meant to counter. However, unless we are to give it an ability such as Arena Trap, this would be extremely detrimental. A weakness to Fire and Rock is fairly important, particularly Fire for attacks. An added neutrality to Flying is a minor con.

Electric/Grass

Pros: Ground is now neutral, eliminating any need for an ability to counter it. Decent resists to Ground, Water, Grass, and 4x to Electric. Gives CAP10 a reliable way to hit opposing Ground types.

Cons: Weaknesses to Fire, Ice, Poison, and Bug are not cool. Resistances are decent, but there could be better options at this spot. An added neutrality to Flying is a minor con.

Electric/Fighting

Pros: This pairing would result in only two weaknesses, Ground and Psychic, which is superb. A slew of nice resistances, particularly to Bug and Rock, and somewhat to Dark (although Pursuit should never be a factor really). A Stealth Rock resistance is a plus, as always.

Cons: I have a moderate problem with Fighting offensively, particularly because it plays so well into the whole "Ghost/Fighting" game. I feel a Fighting subtype will result in increased chances of CAP10 getting "walled" by things like Rotom and such. This is why I supported Electric over Fighting in the first poll. Aside from that, this is a fine choice. Minor dangers: the Ground weakness remains, and a neutrality to Flying is a minor con.

Electric/Poison

Pros: A handful of resistances to a lot of things. List: Grass, Fighting, Poison, Bug, Electric, Steel, Flying. What sells this pairing, though, is the immunity to Toxic and Toxic Spikes, something that will hinder CAP10 if one designs it to take on threats like Stall. Electric/Poison STAB gets very good coverage with one another, and Poison is a type that could use a lot of exploration offensively and defensively.

Cons: A 4x weakness to Ground is a major turn-off to some, if not all, people. This virtually (not guaranteed) needs to be addressed later on, and will take some time in the CAP process to fix. While some are against this, and I anticipate many "But you'll need Levitate!" remarks, I find this to be a good choice as well. A 2x weakness to Psychic is a minor con.

Personally, I am planning to support (in order of which I think is the best) Electric/Poison, Electric/Fighting, and Electric/Water.

I am starting to be swayed by the Electric/Poison coverage. Their typing fits together so no resistance is neutralized and it adds very easy to deal with weaknesses. As stated, x4 weakness to Ground is not hard at all to work around, and Psychic is not a common offensive type. It adds utility with picking up Toxic Spikes and alows it to counter things like Blissey who can focus on Toxic stalling.

I think a big part is that it can take Fighting moves with grace. Without that it can't take down Lucario, Infernape, or Machamp effectively. Resisting Steel makes countering Metagross, Jirachi, and Scizor a much easier task. Electric resist helps with Jolteon, Zapdos, and Electivire. The other resistances aren't that great but are useful for a lot of teams and provide switches in against bulky opponents like Celebi and Skarmory (while it also has STABs to deal with the defensive pokes efficiently). And Poison really deserves more credit as an amazing defensive type and is basically unexplored and forgotten.

I am switching my support to Electric/Poison.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel a Fighting subtype will result in increased chances of CAP10 getting "walled" by things like Rotom and such
I thought this was the idea. CAP 10 is supposed to get walled by Rotom and such unless it specialises in beating them by running an appropriate move.

XD I should've seen water's return coming... Hmm... Howzabout the ??? type being its secondary type? It'd be the same resistances/weaknesses, but it'd get STAB from... uh... struggle :D

I gotta be honest, after the before the previous poll, I didn't support fighting at all (nor electric for that matter :P), although the resistances to pursuit and stealth rock are highly appealing. So I cast my vote to Electric/??? Electric/Fighting

Edit: *Sigh* I can never make up my mind... Electric/Poison does bring up some very unique resistances, but even more-so, Electric/Grass, people seem to be convinced resistances/weaknesses and defense are all that matters- not true. It's meant to be a counter. If I want to counter, say, Blissey, defenses are near-meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)