CAP 11 CAP 11 - Concept Assessment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Togekiss has been chosen as our base Pokemon for the Perfect Mate concept. As stated in the OP of the previous Concept Assessment thread, this thread will be open for us to fully analyze our Pokemon base in great detail. There are no other Pokemon being discussed here to distract us, so all eyes are on Togekiss now.

DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.
The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate?
There are a couple of questions I want answered throughout this thread:

What routes can we take when customizing a Pokemon that has excellent offensive synergy, but also has acceptable defensive/supportive synergy, for Togekiss?

How far should we go with synergy when customizing this Pokemon? Will too much focus make our Pokemon too reliant on Togekiss's presence? Will too less not even affect her effectiveness?

These should be clarified once this thread dies down, because this is ultimately the stage where this CAP will succeed or not. What direction are we taking?

You are also expected to follow these rules:

• No bashing. This is common sense, really. Don't be abrasive, insulting, passive-aggressive insulting, or anything like that. Keep it to civil discussion.

• No poll jumping. Do not outright suggest that CAP 11 should have a A and B typing, along with base X HP and base Y Speed. I do not want to see anyone proposing particular traits. However, it's acceptable to suggest abilities and types, among other things, but you are not to be coming up with the entire Pokemon in your posts. Just use your judgement, basically.
Remember, we aren't deciding on anything specific in this thread. The point of this thread is to gain insight on this concept and to come up with some sort of direction. Thanks and have fun!

I've never posted in CAP before, so please tell me if I'm breaking any rules or just sound like an idiot in general.

OK, when I think of Togekiss, a couple of things come to mind. A flinch haxer is what she's characteristically known as, and she's remarkably special defensive. She's also known notably as a paralyzer and even as a nasty plot sweeper.

I believe that the combo should be more of a defensive one, as in, something that allows Togekiss a chance to switch in and work her magic, something that beats togekiss' counters and weaknesses as well. At the same time, it should also be able to abuse the paralysis induced by Togekiss.

So, with all of these ideas in mind, here are some proposed characteristics for the CAP:

-The mate should be slow. Togekiss throws around paralysis like there's no tommorow, and I think the mate should be able to abuse this. Because it's speed can be low, it's other stats can excel and just provide a better Pokemon.

-The mates should be physically inclined. One of the major ways to dispose of Togekiss is to just send out a powerful physical attack like CB Scizor. This should be an opportunity to switch in the mate. On a similar vein, the special attacks likely used in response would more likely than not provide a chance for togekiss to switch in.

-The mate should have resistances to at least two of the following: Rock, Ice and Electric. Types like Grass, Steel and Ground come to mind as partners for togekiss, because defensive synergy is a vbery large portion of this partnership (think of celetran). I insist on rock because, if the duo was both weak to rock, then stealth rock would ravage them and greatly cut down the effectiveness of the pair. Things like SkarmBliss work without it, but Togekiss is not a defensive behemoth like those two are.

-The mate should be able to spin. I really hope I'm not jumping the gun by suggesting a move, but dynamic duos switch around a lot, mainly to each other. Togekiss is weak to rocks, and with those out of the way, she could switch in easier. Of course, consider this a minour option, as I don't feel this is as important as the others I've mentioned.

I think that there should be some defensive element, because protecting Togekiss is important to "offensive synergy." Togekiss often sets up with Nasty Plot, and a Pokemon that takes attacks from the common switchins is important. Of course, it will also want to hit those switchins back, which is what makes the synergy offensive. It shouldn't be Skarmbliss, nullifying the opponent's momentum. It should prevent them from countering Togekiss in order to keep its own team's momentum high.

As the above poster points out, one key area to complement Togekiss is obviously typing. Celetran, which is the comparison everyone keeps making, relies in no small part on the interaction of Grass/Psychic and Fire/Steel typings. One possible combination is Ground/Steel, because it covers the weaknesses to Rock and Electric and is immune to Thunder Wave and Toxic (which the analysis lists as Togekiss's two greatest weaknesses). Giving it Thick Fat as at least an option for an ability would allow it to resist the Ice weakness also. Togekiss can use its immunity to deal with the Ground weakness. There are several options, though; the key is really to cover most if not all of the weaknesses so that aggressive switching can keep momentum high. Ground/Water, Ground/Fire, Grass/Fighting (maybe with Thick Fat?) could all work, along with a host of others. Clearly having good offensive type coverage alongside Togekiss is also an advantage. Lots of room for debate here.

Moving on to the offensive side, it should probably be a physical attacker, to help Togekiss deal with special walls. Note that this will allow Togekiss to use its Heal Bell to help CAP11 with burns increasing the synergy. Togekiss's Flying/Fighting coverage combo is resisted by Zapdos, Rock or Ice coverage could be useful. Rotom-A is also an issue, so CAP11 may need a way to deal with that, such as Sucker Punch or Pursuit.

Baton Pass is also a possibility, maybe with Agility/Rock Polish. Togekiss can always use speed to help with its flinching, and since it has Baton Pass too, the two could further synergize by chaining boosts.

If offensive synergy is going to be based on aggressive switching, the Perfect Mate could benefit from Rapid Spin or at least a Rock-resistant typing, given Togekiss's above-noted weakness to Stealth Rock.

I'll just add on to the previous posters comments:
The mate should be slow.
Personally, I agree to this. It would be very useful for balancing issues to have a slow poke dependent on paralysis. As such, I hope we should end up something not super slow, but something at least as fast as Swampert.

The mates should be physically inclined.
Very simple, if we're going for a sort of support and offensive based strategy, it would be rather annoying to have Blissey switch in and ruin your hard work. The same goes for physical opponents that could switch in and KO.

The mate should have resistances to at least two of the following: Rock, Ice and Electric.
Personally, I believe that Rock and Ice are the two major things to resist here. Rock needs no explanation, and Ice is often carried for the rampant Dragons. It is possible to resist or scare off all three types, Toxic, and TWave with the interesting Ground/Steel combo, but I believe it may be to early to mention this.

The mate should be able to spin.
Despite the fact that people display annoyance at things able to spin, it's probably likely that spinning will be needed to help Togekiss. You could try making a poke designed to bring in an existing spinner, if you really disliked RS.

Sorry, this is the first CAP I've ever commented on, please tell me if I'm poll jumping.

I'm not so convinced that a physically-attacking partner is the best partner for a specially aggressive Pokémon, especially one capable of sharply boosting its Sp.Atk and flinching things a lot. Ideally, CAP11 and Togekiss would be able to punch holes in a team between them. Say we have an offensive core and are playing against a stall team; we switch to Togekiss, they switch to Blissey, we switch to CAP11, they switch to Gliscor or something. How does that help? Now imagine that the opponent throws all its special walls in front of CAP11 and it beats or severely weakens them, dying in the attempt; then Togekiss comes in, Nasty Plots up and sweeps the entire enemy team. Which works better as an offensive core?

Ideally, CAP11 should be something that lures and beats Togekiss's counters, with Togekiss luring and beating its counters. I can imagine CAP11 setting up a Safeguard or something similar so that Togekiss can beat Blissey (behind a Safeguard, I think Togekiss generally wins that matchup), then letting Togekiss weaken the opponent's secondary special wall and leaving an opening for CAP11 to sweep.

The other thing to point out is that Togekiss's weaknesses - Rock, Ice, and Electric - are rarely STAB moves, but rather coverage moves, at least in OU. This affects defensive typing synergy somewhat; there's no point in having a great typing to resist Togekiss's weaknesses if whatever you're going to come in on can just blast you to pieces the turn afterwards. The exception would be if CAP11 were very fast (but I don't see why it would be, trying to help out Togekiss). Instead, it's better to look at which individual Pokémon - not just typings - can take out Togekiss, and try to lure or wall them (depending on how offensive or defensive we want the typing to be).

Baton Pass is also a possibility, maybe with Agility/Rock Polish. Togekiss can always use speed to help with its flinching, and since it has Baton Pass too, the two could further synergize by chaining boosts.

If offensive synergy is going to be based on aggressive switching, the Perfect Mate could benefit from Rapid Spin or at least a Rock-resistant typing, given Togekiss's above-noted weakness to Stealth Rock.
I don't think I like the idea of Baton Pass, simply because both Baton Passers could be shut down completely by one taunt, and that would probably ruin the entire well-put aggresive switching point you made. While it would be okay to have on pokemon abuse baton pass (like Togekiss already does), I think the other should stray away from it. For a duo of pokemon to be perfect mates, they ought not to be shut down so easily by a taunt.

Speaking of entry hazards, maybe rapid spin won't be necessary. Other possibilities include wish passing or spin blocking, so that if Togekiss/CAP11 are used on an entry-hazard rich team, it still keeps the field of play even. EDIT: Upon additional thought, this would be even further supported by the notion that Togekiss is a flinch haxer anyway. While that may not be a ghost-type, it certainly can prevent rapid spins from happening for a while.

I am slightly against baton passing and rapid spinning for one simple reason: I think that both of these moves would be beneficial to a lot of other pokemon.If we're going for a specific togekiss mate, maybe Rapid spin and baton pass aren't the best idea, because those would benefit something like Dragonite, too.

Just would like to point out that Togekiss is one of the few Pokemon that is able to pass Nasty Plot boosts, so ideally it should at least be able to decently recieve these boosts and take advantage of them along with having nice offensive synergy.

Also, Togekiss' SpD is really high enough to take the always-special electric and ice moves thrown at it while it is able to nullify those weaknesses with Roost after a Thunder Wave. A Pokemon with above-average Defense that resists the mostly-physical Rock moves would probably be best. In general, a physically defensive Steel type would be able to live through most physical assaults aimed at Kiss with Steel's great resists.

imo, defensive synergy is more important then offensive synergy on every team except hyper offense. You need places to switch in to get your offense going, and defensive synergy is where that is accomplished first and foremost.

I've used a few teams centered around Togekiss to fairly good success (1500 ladder score) so this has be me fairly excited.

In my experience, Togekiss, has one main purpose which is pure annoyance thanks to Serene Grace. She can cause rage quits and a lot of anger by winning battles she shouldn't (like against Blissey) without breaking a sweat.

That being said, Togekiss' famous versatility lend itself to a few key roles:

1) Nasty Plot + Sweeping: Loves Paralysis and Toxic Spikes as well as Air Slash + Aura Sphere resistors gone (Rotom-A, many OU Steel types who can take an Aura Spere, etc).

2) Passing of Wish or Nasty Plot: Loves a complimentary typed, Special oriented, fast partner.

3) Scarf'd: More niche, not much room to work with IMO.

4) Obnoxious stalling: Thanks to Paralysis + Roost shedding her weaknesses and buying free turns every so often to set up.

Togekiss hates being statused and Electric types in general. She loves things that can help spread Paralysis too. Therefore, defensively speaking, I think the synergy should focus on good, sensible typing. Now, I know we can't cover Togekiss' weaknesses easily, but we can come close without cloning Magnezone. Being able to take on priority attacks that bypass Paralysis is a plus. Also, if we want to let Togekiss be the helper, then Point 2 outlined above can be highlighted by not allowing easy Recovery for our CAP.

Offensively we need something to bust through Rotom-A primarily as he blocks the flagship Air Slash + Aura Sphere. Since Togekiss is either a sweeper or revenge killer offensively, that means CAP11 will have to do some heavy lifting. This means leaning towards bulky offense such that it can stick around a while and soften key counters while luring Ground or Ghost attacks to let Togekiss switch in easily.

Finally, Togekiss is special in that very bulky ones can survive un-STAB SE attacks on the special side. Also with Paralysis and Roost, Togekiss can shed her weaknesses and stall like a mofo.

So basically, I think the synergy should focus on somewhat complimentary typing just for switching purposes. Spreading Paralysis and/or Toxic (Spikes) is encouraged. I am leaning towards special oriented as Togekiss can beat Blissey and I'd rather have something to exploit a Nasty Plot or Wish pass. Above all, CAP11 has to be somewhat bulky and able to kill Rotom-A with ease. Some initial thoughts involve Grass, Electric, Fighting, Fire and Ground types.

I don't think we need a spinner as Togekiss can Roost and use Wish. Stealth Rock isn't a big problem, really, thanks to Togekiss being great at forcing switches to buy Roosting time. Speed also isn't a big factor as outlined above. High or low can both work here.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think we're beginning this process approaching Togekiss in the wrong way.

Togekiss is a known quantity and has several advantages we might not be able to get out of a new CAP.

1. Bulk.

Togekiss has 85/95/115 Defenses. This makes it compare favorably to Gyarados (95/79/100), who does have Intimidate for the pivot but is still solid afterward. Where Togekiss differs from Gyara is the following:

2. Reliable Recovery.

Togekiss has Roost, so even though it has an SR weakness, it can still get itself out of a rut given the opportunity, additionally if it roosts against a paralyzed opponent (and Kiss has easy access to paralysis) it removes its burdensom Electric, Rock, and Ice weaknesses. If Roost isn't your cup of tea, Togekiss even has the Wish + Protect and Wish + Baton Pass combos.

3. Unparalleled Support.

Togekiss can survive basically any strategy the opponent has. It can Trick back the items sent to it, it can status Hyper Offense teams, and even, oddly, use Brick Break to remove screens. It can Encore stat-up Pokemon or, again, use Trick to lock them into a Choiced attack. It has Heal Bell to remove its own bad status and that of teammates. It can even Baton Pass rare Nasty Plot boosts.

In short, we do not need to focus on covering Togekiss' weaknesses. It has very, very few of them.

Instead what we should do is build a partner that lures in the attacks Togekiss takes most easily. Togekiss is immune to Ghost and Ground attacks and resists Bug and Grass attacks. While this list is not as large as many defensive Pokemon, it nonetheless is unique in OU, its closest relative being Staraptor sitting in BL.

In other words Togekiss should be our supportive pivot to a CAP designed to break the enemy down. To summarize, the CAP should have the following features in my opinion:

1. Lure in common attacks Togekiss handles easily. Earthquake and Shadow Ball obviously top the list, but even U-turn and Grass Knot are used enough to merit thought.

2. Be a massive offensive threat in its own right. What we want is a powerful offensive threat that would act as a "breaker" in the "breaker-pivot" combo, putting out enough offensive pressure to lure attacks the opponent knows Togekiss handles easily, but is forced to use. This would mean a high-speed, high offenses Pokemon designed to put pressure on the opponent to take it down quickly with SE Moves. We want Togekiss to be the supporting cleaner that keeps our CAP refreshed, rather than be a slow, medicore threat that requires Togekiss to spread paralysis before it becomes effective. Ideally our CAP would also be able to spread paralysis to help Togekiss out.

3. Avoid doubling the SR weakness. While Togekiss can take care of it's own it shouldn't have to cover for CAP11 as well. This need not be an SR resistance, merely the avoidance of a weakness.

4. Be able to absorb at least one status, preferably paralysis. Toxic and Burn are sort of drags on Togekiss, but it needs its (admittedly mediocre) speed intact if it wants to abuse paraflinching. This does not necessarily mean Ground typing (which shares an Ice weakness), it can be addressed through abilities like Limber, and Volt Absorb/Motor Drive(for TWave and electric attacks in general at least).

I think this combination of traits will most free us. Remember we have to build an offensive core. Using a slot on Rapid Spin and trying to cover for Togekiss' weaknesses sounds much more like a defensive core to me. To be sure there should be some type synergy, but it's not nearly as important as it would be in a defensive core.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
When I think of the "ideal" teammate for Togekiss, I think of a teammate that covers Togekiss' two primary flaws: its relatively low speed and its lack of useful resistances in combination with its weakness to common types. In addition, it's also important for Togekiss' strengths to complement our partner's weaknesses. Those strengths are: respectable bulk, great offensive and support movepool, and useful ability.

First, let's think about how our partner can support togekiss.

It would be easy to just patch up the speed issue with paralysis support, but I think we could be a bit more creative in that regard. We could, for example, create a partner that can effective Baton Pass speed boosts (which would have dual synergy since Togekiss can also pass boosts). We could also have a Pokemon that is proficient at setting up Trick Room. While paralysis support would be the easiest way to go, those other options shouldn't be overlooked.

Next, Togekiss' lack of useful resistances. This is a major issue, as sheer statistics don't matter for much without resistances (unless your name is Blissey) especially if you lose a quarter health every time you switch in. The situation is further compounded by Togekiss's weaknesses to the common Rock, Ice, and Electric types. This fact is probably the primary reason why someone would choose SubCharge Rotom or DD Kingdra or any other bulky sweeper over Togekiss; it simply cannot switch into anything besides Earthquake (often paired with a dangerous Stone Edge or Outrage) or Shadow Ball (very often paired with Thunderbolt) without eating a ton of damage.
It follows, then, that our partner should ideally have a typing that can attract ghost and ground moves while resisting or being immune to rock, ice, and electric. In addition, this partner should have some way to minimize Stealth Rock's impact on Togekiss's bulk; it could either serve as an effective spinner, be an effective dual screener, or be an effective wishpasser. While the typing would already go a long way towards helping abuse its bulk in a synergistic fashion, support to aid against stealth rock would definitely help seal the deal.

Now, as to how Togekiss can benefit our partner. The typing would go a long way towards helping their synergy, but ideally, our partner should be specially-oriented without any special boosting moves (i.e. calm mind, nasty plot) and with the ability to beat Blissey. This way, it can both receive and make use of nasty plot boosts from Togekiss while also forcing out Togekiss' counters with the threat of super-effective moves. It should, however, gain speed boosting moves, as covered earlier.

So to summarize, I believe this partner should be:

Offensively-oriented and either specially inclined offensively or mixed. Something important: our partner must be able to beat Blissey.
It should be physically inclined as far as bulk goes, but it should not be too bulky on either side, and especially not on the special side. I'm thinking something like Torterra's defensive spread here.
It should be fast enough to possibly Taunt, Encore, or otherwise cripple things that are threatening Togekiss, but not so fast that it can sweep on its own without boosting.
It should receive a decent collection of support moves, with some overlap over what togekiss receives (like wish or baton pass).
It should not, however, have redundant offensive coverage with Togekiss; its offensive movepool should complement Togekiss in such a way that if Togekiss is possibly walled by something, our partner should be able to hit it really fucking hard with something. Blissey? Close Combat or boosted Aura Spheres. Rotom-A? Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse. Heatran? Earth Power. And so on.
And finally, our partner's typing must complement Togekiss in such a way that, if it is currently facing down a Pokemon that is faster than it and packs a super-effective move (this will happen a lot), our partner must be able to switch in, tank a hit, and immediately threaten the revenge killer or, better yet, either "hard" or "soft" trap it.

I think this is all I can say without poll jumping. I have some specific ideas for where we could take this as far as the exact typing and ability and stat spread goes, but I'll save that for the appropriate parts of the process.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One thing I'd like Togekiss' mate to do is to be a decent status absorber (Or cleric). A paralysed/Toxic'd Togekiss is almost useless unless you decide to waste a moveslot on Heal Bell. (Maybe more to come later)

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I think one of the biggest issues we're going to be facing is that previous CaPs such as Cyclohm, Stratagem, and Krilowatt can effectively counter and KO Togekiss. While Syclant can't switch in, it's superior speed and Ice typing make it deadly. If you haven't noticed, we come full circle; Togekiss wreaks havoc on half the CaPs or is completely shut down by the other half. By creating a better half for Togekiss, in my mind, we're targeting the threats Togekiss faces. I want to avoid everyone using the same 6 Mons on a team just because it worked out that way. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

That said, I agree with Deck on his points, with the addition that there are specific threats to Togekiss that are of priority to reckon with.

So to summarize, I believe this partner should be:

Offensively-oriented and either specially inclined offensively or mixed.
Something important: our partner must be able to beat Blissey.
I agree completely, but I'd like to stress that maybe it's not such a good idea to guarantee a victory, but definitely force a switch out.

It should be fast enough to possibly Taunt, Encore, or otherwise cripple things that are threatening Togekiss, but not so fast that it can sweep on its own without boosting.

It should receive a decent collection of support moves, with some overlap over what togekiss receives (like wish or baton pass).
I think wish passing might be a bit too much. Togekiss already has reliable recovery. I fear that the idea of having a CAP that presents such an immediate threatening double-baton pass would suddenly facilitate *all* CAP teams to necessitate a taunt in order to stop it.

It should not, however, have redundant offensive coverage with Togekiss; its offensive movepool should complement Togekiss in such a way that if Togekiss is possibly walled by something, our partner should be able to hit it really fucking hard with something. Blissey? Close Combat or boosted Aura Spheres. Rotom-A? Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse. Heatran? Earth Power. And so on.
That sounds like fun! I'm all for this, too!

And finally, our partner's typing must complement Togekiss in such a way that, if it is currently facing down a Pokemon that is faster than it and packs a super-effective move (this will happen a lot), our partner must be able to switch in, tank a hit, and immediately threaten the revenge killer or, better yet, either "hard" or "soft" trap it.
I think the typing bit is a given, but nonetheless, agreeable. I have no opinion one way or the other about the rest.

I think this is all I can say without poll jumping. I have some specific ideas for where we could take this as far as the exact typing and ability and stat spread goes, but I'll save that for the appropriate parts of the process.

A few people have mentioned the idea that CaP11 should draw Shadow Balls for Togekiss to switch in on. This is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1) The main two users of Shadow Ball are Rotom-A and Gengar. Togekiss really shouldn't be switching in on either.

2) Being weak to Shadow Ball means being Ghost- or Psychic-type. That means being Pursuit weak unless we use Fighting Type. Ghost/Fighting's been done, and Psychic/Fighting doesn't exactly give complementary coverage to Togekiss's Flying/Fighting.

I think we should focus more on getting Togekiss in on Grass, Ground, and maybe Bug attacks. There just aren't many users of Ghost attacks Togekiss can come in on.

As far as typing goes, remember that with a Normal/Flying type, Togekiss has the following traits:

Super Effective STAB moves against Grass, Fighting, and Bug

Weak STAB moves against Rock, Steel, and Electric (Rock and Steel are especially important to cover since it resists both Normal and Flying)

Resistant against Ghost (immune), Ground (immune), Grass, and Bug

Weak to Electric, Ice, and Rock

Ideally both pokemon should be able to switch in safely to each other. That means that CAP11 should be able to take electric, ice, and rock attacks, while being weak to some of ghost, ground, grass, and bug. I don't want to poll jump here, so I'll leave it at that, but I think it's really crucial to remember that just like this is a perfect complement to Togekiss, Togekiss needs to be a perfect teammate to help support CAP11. Like some others have said, even though this is a perfect mate concept the pokemon should be viable in OU in its own right, not just in association with Togekiss, just like Togekiss is usable in the current metagame on its own.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A few people have mentioned the idea that CaP11 should draw Shadow Balls for Togekiss to switch in on. This is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1) The main two users of Shadow Ball are Rotom-A and Gengar. Togekiss really shouldn't be switching in on either.

2) Being weak to Shadow Ball means being Ghost- or Psychic-type. That means being Pursuit weak unless we use Fighting Type. Ghost/Fighting's been done, and Psychic/Fighting doesn't exactly give complementary coverage to Togekiss's Flying/Fighting.

I think we should focus more on getting Togekiss in on Grass, Ground, and maybe Bug attacks. There just aren't many users of Ghost attacks Togekiss can come in on.
We'd want a typing that draws only Shadow Ball and makes moves like Thunderbolt undesirable. Psychic/Electric does this perfectly, discouraging Thunderbolt and Focus Blast and effectively making Shadow Ball the only competent option. This is especially true for Scarf and Specs variants of Gengar/Rotom, who do not really want to risk an NVE attack against something that can strike them super-effectively (Shadow Ball is a required Type-Move for Psychic, and Gengar is weak to Psychic proper).

The problem we always seem to run into in CAP is we always rely on the same old typing schema. Everything has to resist SR, avoid Pursuit Weak, have perfect neutral coverage, etc, and thusly be part Fighting, Ground, or Steel. There are only two major Pursuit users to worry about in OU: Scizor and Tyranitar. Both of them have 4x weaknesses, and of the two TTar is weak to Aura Sphere on Togekiss. Neither particularly enjoy paralysis, as depsite having Bullet Punch, paralysis still gives it the functional equivalent of 75% accuracy.

Furthermore there is a little-discussed way to avoid Pursuit in Baton Pass. Togekiss already has a unique metagame function in that it can pass Nasty Plot. Giving it's partner the ability to dry-pass alone would allow it to pivot to a third core member more successfully, and it would still improve upon Togekiss' usage because only it can provide the initial Nasty Plot.

The best part about offense is you get to imagine scenarios such that your speed and power is sufficient to KO things that would otherwise obliterate you. 120 Base Speed would for example allow any pokemon, no matter how Pursuit Weak, to be able to KO Tyranitar with Low Kick, Close Combat, or Superpower provided it had enough Attack to do so.

Psychic does have one specific benefit over Ghost though: It's super-effective against Fighting. Considering for the moment we are building an offensive Pokemon, this means our CAP may have the chance to OHKO big threats like Gengar, Machamp, Breloom, and Infernape where other typings could not. (As well as a few support mons like Roserade and Tentacruel, while we're on the subject) The Psychic/Electric combination I alluded to earlier would also benefit from resistance to Bullet Punch and Mach Punch, the priority moves generally employed by Fighting-types.

I'm not suggesting anything this specific, I'm merely trying to address the general myopia we find ourselves in because we have to think that everything must be neutral or better to all of Bullet Punch, SR, and Pursuit.

What do I think that Togekiss' partner needs?

1: I think it needs a way to spread Paralysis. This frees up a moveslot on Togekiss, allowing it to sweep with a Nasty Plot set, after all, the concept is about letting something with sweeping potential sweep.

2: It needs to be physically bulky, so that it can switch in on most of Togekiss' checks, like Scizor, Metagross, and [somewhat] Jirachi. However, it will also need to be able to handle Thunderbolts and Ice Beams as well,, be that done through typing, stats, or whatever.

3: It needs to lure in things that do not like Togekiss. This will give Togekiss the chance to switch in, and Nasty Plot. Against a paralysed team, combined with Serene Grace and Air Slash... well, you get the picture. Things like lureing Choice Scarf Rotom to use Shadow Ball come to mind, or Earthquakes.

4: It will need to be somewhat mixed in terms of attacking. Physical attacks on a supporter aren't gonnna kill Scizor... unless it gets Fire Punch or something, nor are they likly to kill Jirachi and Metagross, who tend to be more physically bulky [Although Jirachi can go either way]. Likewise, Special Attacks are not gonna do anything to things like Blissey and Tyranitar.

Deck Knight, I totally agree with you. Especially as 90% of the time, CAP builds an offensive pokemon, so they want it to be able to switch in time and time again. This time, the route I see CAP11 taking is a supporter. Not a pure one like Fidgit, but a supporter none the less.

At point #1: Rotom and Gengar are choiced quite often, so switching in on either is generally good, especially if they came in and got Paralysed.

Point #2: What's the obession with being Persuit-weak? Firstly, most things that use Shadow Ball do not get Persuit, if any. Secondly, the Persuit weakness can be easily covered by being physically bulky, and most Persuit users dislike being paralysed, something I strongly feel CAP11 needs to be able to do.

A pokemon is not bad if it's Persuit weak. Cases in point? Latias [And it wasn't enough to prevent her going to Ubers]. Gengar. Rotom-A. Starmie. Celebi.

Oh, and Steel as well as Dark itself, resists Dark as well, although, we've done Steel/Ghost before, and Steel/Dark isn't anything new.

It's super late so I'm gonna try not to be wordy

I think this pokemon ought to be specially offensive and physically defensive, with typing that allows it to take on Togekiss' usual counters. Togekiss can take special attacks pretty well, so a physically bulky partner would synergize well with it for reasons that don't really need explaining. Special offense allows it to take boosts from Togekiss, and also means that the two can attract and weaken shared counters in order to help each other sweep. The typing should allow it to beat most of Togekiss' counters (though we may have to compromise if covering it's weaknesses doesn't recommend the same types), to increase the chance that one of the two can find a chance to sweep with a given opportunity. Hopefully, we can work this out so that it

-beats some of Togekiss' counters
-weakens the others enough that Togekiss can finish them
-is able to switch into the most common / threatening things that usually force Togekiss to flee

While paralysis support seems like an ideal way to aid togekiss, I think we shouldn't overlook the possibility of priority to potentially take out the fast threats that can revenge Togekiss. The only special priority move is Vacuum Wave, which is kind of limiting, although Fighting is certianly within the realm of possibility, considering that we really want to beat blissey.

Here are the June 2010 team-mate statistics for Togekiss:

Code:
+------------+----------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|  Pokemon   |    By Usage    |  Usage   | Percent  |   Rank   | Ovr Pct  | Ovr Rank |  Change  |
+------------+----------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
| Togekiss   |  1. Scizor     |    16390 |    24.02 |        1 |    25.21 |        1 |        0 |
| Togekiss   |  2. Jirachi    |    13654 |    20.01 |        2 |    16.84 |        7 |       +5 |
| Togekiss   |  3. Infernape  |    10966 |    16.07 |        3 |    16.16 |        9 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   |  4. Metagross  |    10674 |    15.64 |        4 |    15.30 |       10 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   |  5. Gengar     |    10179 |    14.92 |        5 |    17.23 |        6 |       +1 |
| Togekiss   |  6. Breloom    |     9979 |    14.63 |        6 |    11.56 |       16 |      +10 |
| Togekiss   |  7. Machamp    |     9898 |    14.51 |        7 |    12.07 |       13 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   |  8. Swampert   |     9818 |    14.39 |        8 |    14.54 |       11 |       +3 |
| Togekiss   |  9. Starmie    |     9154 |    13.42 |        9 |    16.69 |        8 |       -1 |
| Togekiss   | 10. Lucario    |     9091 |    13.32 |       10 |    12.00 |       14 |       +4 |
| Togekiss   | 11. Heatran    |     8970 |    13.15 |       11 |    22.48 |        2 |       -9 |
| Togekiss   | 12. Gyarados   |     8609 |    12.62 |       12 |    17.74 |        5 |       -7 |
| Togekiss   | 13. Salamence  |     8230 |    12.06 |       13 |    21.80 |        3 |      -10 |
| Togekiss   | 14. Blissey    |     7943 |    11.64 |       14 |    12.59 |       12 |       -2 |
| Togekiss   | 15. Electivire |     7792 |    11.42 |       15 |     6.01 |       32 |      +17 |
| Togekiss   | 16. Tyranitar  |     7340 |    10.76 |       16 |    18.03 |        4 |      -12 |
| Togekiss   | 17. Vaporeon   |     6801 |     9.97 |       17 |     9.36 |       20 |       +3 |
| Togekiss   | 18. Gliscor    |     5690 |     8.34 |       18 |    10.12 |       17 |       -1 |
| Togekiss   | 19. Jolteon    |     5558 |     8.15 |       19 |     9.09 |       21 |       +2 |
| Togekiss   | 20. Azelf      |     5476 |     8.03 |       20 |    11.68 |       15 |       -5 |
| Togekiss   +----------------+          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Togekiss   |   By Change    |          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Togekiss   +----------------+          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Togekiss   |  1. Electivire |     7792 |    11.42 |       15 |     6.01 |       32 |      +17 |
| Togekiss   |  2. Umbreon    |     4753 |     6.97 |       26 |     4.22 |       40 |      +14 |
| Togekiss   |  3. Ninjask    |     4767 |     6.99 |       25 |     4.98 |       36 |      +11 |
| Togekiss   |  4. Breloom    |     9979 |    14.63 |        6 |    11.56 |       16 |      +10 |
| Togekiss   |  5. Weavile    |     4799 |     7.03 |       24 |     5.46 |       34 |      +10 |
| Togekiss   |  6. Lanturn    |     2582 |     3.78 |       40 |     1.75 |       50 |      +10 |
| Togekiss   |  7. Infernape  |    10966 |    16.07 |        3 |    16.16 |        9 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   |  8. Metagross  |    10674 |    15.64 |        4 |    15.30 |       10 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   |  9. Machamp    |     9898 |    14.51 |        7 |    12.07 |       13 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   | 10. Dusknoir   |     4334 |     6.35 |       29 |     5.18 |       35 |       +6 |
| Togekiss   |     ......     |          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Togekiss   | 41. Zapdos     |     3877 |     5.68 |       33 |     7.68 |       27 |       -6 |
| Togekiss   | 42. Gyarados   |     8609 |    12.62 |       12 |    17.74 |        5 |       -7 |
| Togekiss   | 43. Tentacruel |     1789 |     2.62 |       48 |     4.20 |       41 |       -7 |
| Togekiss   | 44. Rotom-h    |     4089 |     5.99 |       30 |     8.99 |       22 |       -8 |
| Togekiss   | 45. Heatran    |     8970 |    13.15 |       11 |    22.48 |        2 |       -9 |
| Togekiss   | 46. Hippowdon  |     1872 |     2.74 |       47 |     4.88 |       38 |       -9 |
| Togekiss   | 47. Salamence  |     8230 |    12.06 |       13 |    21.80 |        3 |      -10 |
| Togekiss   | 48. Tyranitar  |     7340 |    10.76 |       16 |    18.03 |        4 |      -12 |
| Togekiss   | 49. Suicune    |     3168 |     4.64 |       36 |     8.65 |       23 |      -13 |
| Togekiss   | 50. Skarmory   |     3067 |     4.50 |       38 |     9.63 |       19 |      -19 |
- Why do pokemon like Electivire and Umbreon fit well with Togekiss? Is there anything we can learn here?
- A pokemon which helped Togekiss' partners would also help Togekiss herself. Not a major priority, but worth thinking about.

Now here are those pokemon which boost Togekiss, by usage:
Code:
|  Pokemon   |    By Usage    |  Usage   | Percent  |   Rank   | Ovr Pct  | Ovr Rank |  Change  |
| Lanturn    |  4. Togekiss   |     2582 |    14.75 |        4 |     6.83 |       27 |      +23 |
| Electivire |  8. Togekiss   |     7792 |    12.98 |        8 |     6.83 |       27 |      +19 |
| Umbreon    | 11. Togekiss   |     4753 |    11.27 |       11 |     6.83 |       28 |      +17 |
| Ninjask    | 19. Togekiss   |     4767 |     9.57 |       19 |     6.83 |       27 |       +8 |
| Ambipom    |  6. Togekiss   |     2225 |     9.26 |        6 |     6.83 |       26 |      +20 |
| Gallade    | 13. Togekiss   |     2287 |     9.18 |       13 |     6.83 |       28 |      +15 |
| Porygonz   | 17. Togekiss   |     2982 |     8.99 |       17 |     6.83 |       27 |      +10 |
| Weavile    | 16. Togekiss   |     4799 |     8.79 |       16 |     6.83 |       29 |      +13 |
| Breloom    | 20. Togekiss   |     9979 |     8.64 |       20 |     6.83 |       28 |       +8 |
| Dusknoir   | 19. Togekiss   |     4334 |     8.38 |       19 |     6.83 |       28 |       +9 |
| Smeargle   | 19. Togekiss   |     3092 |     7.80 |       19 |     6.83 |       29 |      +10 |
| Porygon2   | 17. Togekiss   |     1628 |     7.75 |       17 |     6.83 |       28 |      +11 |
| Milotic    | 17. Togekiss   |     1545 |     7.42 |       17 |     6.83 |       24 |       +7 |
| Donphan    | 15. Togekiss   |     1463 |     7.20 |       15 |     6.83 |       27 |      +12 |
| Mismagius  | 15. Togekiss   |      941 |     7.14 |       15 |     6.83 |       20 |       +5 |
| Rhyperior  | 20. Togekiss   |     1477 |     6.88 |       20 |     6.83 |       26 |       +6 |
| Marowak    | 15. Togekiss   |      727 |     6.74 |       15 |     6.83 |       21 |       +6 |
| Hitmontop  | 19. Togekiss   |      970 |     6.48 |       19 |     6.83 |       26 |       +7 |
| Arcanine   | 18. Togekiss   |     1539 |     6.45 |       18 |     6.83 |       23 |       +5 |
| Typhlosion | 16. Togekiss   |      580 |     6.38 |       16 |     6.83 |       21 |       +5 |
| Gardevoir  | 19. Togekiss   |      578 |     6.33 |       19 |     6.83 |       22 |       +3 |
and then by change:
Code:
|  Pokemon   |   By Change    |  Usage   | Percent  |   Rank   | Ovr Pct  | Ovr Rank |  Change  |
| Lanturn    |  2. Togekiss   |     2582 |    14.75 |        4 |     6.83 |       27 |      +23 |
| Ambipom    |  4. Togekiss   |     2225 |     9.26 |        6 |     6.83 |       26 |      +20 |
| Electivire |  2. Togekiss   |     7792 |    12.98 |        8 |     6.83 |       27 |      +19 |
| Umbreon    |  4. Togekiss   |     4753 |    11.27 |       11 |     6.83 |       28 |      +17 |
| Gallade    |  4. Togekiss   |     2287 |     9.18 |       13 |     6.83 |       28 |      +15 |
| Weavile    |  5. Togekiss   |     4799 |     8.79 |       16 |     6.83 |       29 |      +13 |
| Donphan    |  7. Togekiss   |     1463 |     7.20 |       15 |     6.83 |       27 |      +12 |
| Porygon2   | 10. Togekiss   |     1628 |     7.75 |       17 |     6.83 |       28 |      +11 |
| Porygonz   |  4. Togekiss   |     2982 |     8.99 |       17 |     6.83 |       27 |      +10 |
| Smeargle   | 10. Togekiss   |     3092 |     7.80 |       19 |     6.83 |       29 |      +10 |
| Dusknoir   |  8. Togekiss   |     4334 |     8.38 |       19 |     6.83 |       28 |       +9 |
| Breloom    |  2. Togekiss   |     9979 |     8.64 |       20 |     6.83 |       28 |       +8 |
| Machamp    |  4. Togekiss   |     9898 |     8.21 |       21 |     6.83 |       28 |       +7 |
| Cresselia  | 10. Togekiss   |     2228 |     7.57 |       23 |     6.83 |       29 |       +6 |
| Aerodactyl | 10. Togekiss   |     4472 |     6.71 |       24 |     6.83 |       29 |       +5 |
| Lucario    |  7. Togekiss   |     9091 |     7.58 |       23 |     6.83 |       28 |       +5 |
Again, what can we learn from this? Should we be aware of the affect our CaP will have on these pokemon?

Oh, and why are the numbers in the 'Overall Rank' column not all the same?

A link to the team-mate statistics page

I agree with the vast majority of what Deck Knight said. Psychic/Electric typing...is very workable, and it could be an interesting type. Tyranitar is still a problem though. Togekiss may obliterate him with Aura Sphere but thats assuming she doesn't get KO'd first by Stone Edge (since, after just switching in, she will probably be at 75% or lower).
The Rotom formes may be great if you can lure a Shadow Ball from a Choice variant, but Togekiss can't really damage them if they aren't choiced. I wouldn't mind seeing the CAP being able to significantly damage or otherwise hurt the formes.

One of the most important things I think we have to decide, since this is going to be an offensive core, is how the CAP will attack. It makes a lot of sense for this to be a fast offensive threat which forces the enemy to attack with a SE attack. As Deck pointed out, Psychic/Electric is a great choice.
Since it will be working in tandem with Togekiss, it makes most sense for it to attack specially, i.e., to force the opponents special wall to come in, and hopefully take it down with it. This means that to an extent the CAP should have the same counters as Togekiss.
But it also means we have to consider things like Blissey. Despite Tog's SE Aura Sphere, she can't take Status meaning she can't get past the egg thing. A specially based CAP to support should either be capable of setting up and beating Blissey (e.g. SubCharge Rotom but more capable), or else capable of Exploding or similar to bring in Togekiss with her presumably main wall gone.
Zapdos is another problem. Togekiss usually runs for the hills when it comes in. A Psychic/Electric wouldn't take much damage from the current standard Zapdos sets but would I feel have to be able to beat or match it.

The flipside is of course what Togekiss would contribute to the CAP. Baton Passing Nasty Plots is good and allows the hypothetical part Psychic to escape Pursuit.

Conclusion
What I'm currently envisaging is a core based around Baton Pass. This is narrow considering Togekiss' other options but it seems to make sense. Both can Baton Pass, though the CAP probably shouldn't be setting up the things to Pass. Most pokemon will be handled by one, and with the typing set up properly each should be able to Pass without the other incurring substantial damage.
If the CAP finds a wall that neither it nor Togekiss can beat (hopefully as few as possible) it should be capable of eliminating it somehow, directly or indirectly. It could be able to Explode, or bring in a team mate dedicated to handling this one wall (very plausible, given that there should only be a few of these at most).

Thunder Wave support is possible but this seems to me to waste the options, and instead just be good option for the rest of the team to provide.

- Why do pokemon like Electivire and Umbreon fit well with Togekiss? Is there anything we can learn here?
I think Electivire and Togekiss work well together because they both have troubles with their speed and that togekiss works both as paralysis supporter and Electric lure, and can also pass SpA boosts that Mixvire can greatly use, as its only Physical move can dispose of Blissey, Snorlax and TTar. While it can't do much by itself, Electivire can become very dangerous with SpA boosts and a way to outspeed its counters, which is why Togekiss can support it so well. It can also switch into most attacks targeting togekiss with ease, as Rock and Ice are mostly coverage, unboosted moves.

Umbreon is probably used for its trap passing capabilities, working either as a baton pass pair for another pokemon to sweep, or trapping something that can't harm togekiss to let it stat up.

As one of Togekiss' main selling points is its versatility, its perfect mate should be able to run sets supporting the NP sweeper and others benefiting from Togekiss' support sets. What's interesting is that Togekiss has every option needed to support himself, but obviously can't both support and sweep at the same time. Thus, i think the perfect Togekiss partner would be a pokemon with similar roles and great synergy, able to either support Togekiss or benefit from its support.

So, i think the perfect mate needs :

- To benefit from Togekiss support, which is not limited to paralysis but also includes wish support, encore support and NP passing.

The perfect mate could for example be a slow, physically bulky but specially offensive and suffering from the lack of SpA stat-up move.

- To support effectively the NP sweeper, which can be done by paralysis support but also Agility passing. Safegard, Heal Bell and Encore support are very welcome to ensure the win against blissey.

With a speed boost under it's belt and up against a favorable matchup lured by its partner, Togekiss could NP as its opponent switch and get +2/+2 stats, allowing it to sweep quite effectively.

Thus, this perfect mate could work on its own, for example as an agility sweeper but also as a speed passer, cleric or paralysis supporter just as well as Togekiss does, but would really shine with its designated partner, amplifying even further its versatility. Will it support a Togekiss sweep with paralysis or with baton pass? Or will it wait for Togekiss to help him? They might as well form a baton passing supporters pair, or an offensive core benefitting from another pokemon's paralysis support.

Another advantage i can think of such a partner is that, despite being so versatile, it could only form a great pair with Togekiss. Since it would be so similar to it, the only pokemon it could support that Togekiss can't is Togekiss itself, due to Species clause and typing redondancy issues.

As Togekiss fares pretty well with Special Walls and often beats weakened (or not if you're lucky) Blissey, as long as it NPed on the switch, I think being able to benefit from NP passing is worth doing a specially offensive partner. As long as the perfect mate has one way to deal with Blissey (going mixed with a physical Fighting move, STAB Aura Sphere boosted by a passed NP, Taunt, Encore + status immunity, or Safegarding so Togekiss can beat Blissey), Even Calm Blissey won't stop both of them. As stated many times, it should obviously be physically bulky to take physical hits directed at Togekiss. With decent bulk, it shouldn't have problems taking the unboosted boltbeams and Stone Edge throwed at Togekiss, I don't think we should focus on having its weaknesses covered but only making a partner attracting attacks Togekiss can shrug off and meeting the other guidelines.

Status immunity and EQ / special attacks luring is way more important than resisting weak ice beams, so we should not only think of type effectiveness but also type bias. For example, Togekiss takes only around 30% from Mixpert SE Ice Bea, but is always OHKOed by Adamant Lucario's neutral Close Combat with SR and Sandstorm. Sure, Ground/Steel seems perfect at first sight, but it shares Togekiss' virtual Fighting weakness and is a free invite for Lucario and Infernape to come in on any non-ground move and threaten with a faster CC.

Conclusion :

The Pokemon should, by itself, fill roles similar to that of Togekiss and have great synergy with it. By "roles", i don't mean flinch haxing but versatile supporter on one hand and slow, bulky sweeper that needs specific support to be effective on the other hand. This ensures that it won't be overpowered by itself or help, being just as useful as Togekiss, but really shining when they are used together to support each other.

Another pokemon who, like Togekiss, can either support or sweep thanks to being supported would make a great partner. It would allow strategies such as Supporter Togekiss + Sweeping CAP or Supporter CAP + Sweeping Togekiss, as well as a paralysis abuser combo where a third pokemon spreads paralysis to let them wreck havoc. It could be like a more reliable BP YacheGliscor + 4 Attacks Metagross combo, where both Togekiss and CAP11 can actually do something on their own and baton pass is not their only viable strategy.

We should not focus on resisting Togekiss' weaknesses but rather absorbing status and setting up on Togekiss' counters and inversely. Togekiss has no problem taking unboosted boltbeams, but has a lot of trouble with Electric-typed pokemons and strong physical powerhouse, even when they don't pack SE attacks. Bulky steels such as Bronzong or Skarmory also stop cold most Togekiss.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can see why people are suggesting CAP11 to be slow and bulky to fit with Togekiss, but have we considered the fact that Togekiss herself is reasonably slow and extremely bulky, so a good mate could be the opposite, a fast and relatively frail (Just not frail enough to get Bullet Punched, please) sweeper (That obviously has good synergy with Togekiss). Something like a fast, frail Zapdos-esque sweeper with something to take advantage of Togekiss' weaknesses would be cool, in my opinion.

The new CAP should be able to find some method of boosting Togekiss's speed. Be it slowing down the opposing team, or passing an Agility to it

This CAP should have enough offensive power to be able to make a dry-pass to Togekiss in safety, to allow it to come in on a resisted attack, meaning it should probably be faster than Togekiss.

This CAP should be special based.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First Post in CAP so anyone tell me if I do something compleatly wrong or something.

I feel that Togekiss is more of a supporter than a sweeper and I believe the Mate should be able to make use of Togekiss's supporting characteristics.

I think that the Mate should be able to deal with specially defensive threats.

Note that I am not suggesting the mate be physically based. Taunt screws Blissey and annoys Rotom greatly. Indeed there are moves that Blissey fears which are not physical and therefore a pokemon that can use Togekiss's Nasty Plots is very usefull.

Mate should be slow

This has already been said but it is no less true because of it. Something that can abuse paralysis (something that Togekiss does well)

Perfect Mate should be able to deal with Electric pokemon

This I feel is very important, Zapdos and Rotom are Togekiss's most dangerous switch ins. Jolteon can also switch in on Air Slash and threaten a KO with thunderbolt. Obviously, resisting or being immune to Electric moves is optimal but it is not a neccesity.

Further Points

I feel that the CAP dos not needto be super bulky. Togekiss can reliable support pokemon by running Wish, Encore and Heal Bell. I am not suggesting something as frail as Infernape but I think that something super bulky is not needed as well. I would prefer Typing over Bulk in this case especially since Togekiss can take special assults relatively well. Also while Togekiss can run Heal Bell, if the CAP is to deal with pokemon that give Togekiss trouble, eg Rotom or Blissey, then I should be able to take/deal with status. Rotom and Blissey can carry status moves such as Will-o-wisp and Toxic. The former, I believe is very dangerous as if we suggest a physical sweeper then Will-o-wisp becomes a problem.

Hope I did not Poll Jump

Have a Nice Day!

I can see why people are suggesting CAP11 to be slow and bulky to fit with Togekiss, but have we considered the fact that Togekiss herself is reasonably slow and extremely bulky, so a good mate could be the opposite, a fast and relatively frail (Just not frail enough to get Bullet Punched, please) sweeper (That obviously has good synergy with Togekiss). Something like a fast, frail Zapdos-esque sweeper with something to take advantage of Togekiss' weaknesses would be cool, in my opinion.
But how would such an opposite be specifically Togekiss's perfect mate ? Togekiss can spread paralysis, which is useless to fast sweepers. NP Togekiss needs it, but fast sweepers can't provide it. There are already tons of frail special sweepers not killed by BP, some of them with good synergy with Togekiss (Infernape says hi), but Togekiss has nothing to offer or to receive from a fast sweeper. Such a sweeper needs only one thing, that its checks are removed, and that doesn't require a partner but a whole team (unless using hyper offense strategies, but that implies using a pokemon similar to Togekiss and not opposite).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)