CAP 11 CAP 11 - Topic Leader Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to be the Topic Leader for the upcoming creation project. Do not suggest other people. If someone doesn't strongly desire to be a Topic Leader without provocation, then we don't need them signing up for the job. Topic Leader is not an honorary title. It requires a lot of work and attention. If you are not prepared to fulfill all the responsibilities, then do not throw your hat in the ring.

Topic leaders should have the following qualifications:
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community

Once CAP 11 starts, the Topic Leader will be the most important, most visible member of the CAP community, and is expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the creation process. If you are selected, you will have a great deal of power to influence the project. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators and an assistant to help you sometimes, but you need to be regularly active on the project until it is complete. All potential candidates should look through the Topic Leadership Guide, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the CAP 11 Topic Leader.

To avoid confusion -- Topic Leader nominees will automatically be considered applicants for the CAP 11 Policy Review Committee, after the Topic Leader vote is complete. See the Policy Review Committee Application thread for more information regarding the the Policy Review Committee.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts, and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic.

Here are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Candidates must have been actively involved through the entire duration of the most recent CAP project (CAP 10, Krilowatt). Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want to encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, don't bother signing up to be a Topic Leader. Lurk more.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then how can you expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate? Convince us that you are a good choice. Emphasize how you exemplify the qualifications listed above.
  • Poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar are great ways to look like an uneducated idiot. It's not a great way to look like a thoughtful, intelligent, community leader.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting a candidacy. Candidates not selected as the TL for this project, will be on the "watch list" by the community for next time. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected. Like I said, if you post here, people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely in the future.
  • Feel free to post support for any candidates already named. Please back up why you are supporting a candidate with some reasoning though.
  • Please do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.
If these rules are not followed by all posters, the offenders will be moderated.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi. I'm Vader. I first logged into the CaP Server exactly two years as of this post, around the beginning of CaP 4. I signed up for these forums just to vote in the CaP polls, and I can't say that that was a mistake! I think that I'd serve as an effective topic leader for several reasons, foremost of which is that I am already a leader in other forums on the site, as well as a moderator on the server. I know what it takes to keep discussions on track, and I'm not afraid to call people out when they're being stupid or derailing the thread. I also have been one of the most active users on the server since I joined, being generally amicable and helpful to new users.

I know nearly everyone with a "big name" who is involved in CaP, and I am glad to say that I consider each one of them my friend. I work well with people, and I know how to make myself accessible to others. This is because I am a friendly person and, for the most part, I have a good attitude.

I am also a skilled Pokemon player. While I don't hold any ladder titles or tournament victories, I am known far and wide as one of the best Little Cup players in the history of the metagame. I am also very capable at OU, CaP and NU. I know how to take knowledge gained in one metagame and apply it to another. I also have a good sense of what will work in a metagame and what won't, mainly through a lot of trial and error on my part, as well as general analytical skills.

In conclusion, I'd like to be Topic Leader for CaP 11 because I love this project, I love the people who work on it, and I think that I am capable of leading this project to be the best that it can be. I hope you'll cast your vote for me, and thanks for your time!

Hello everyone. For those of you who don’t know, I’m Fuzznip. I’ve been a long-time contributor to the CAP forum, back when Syclant was just released. I’ve found CAP to be an incredibly interesting forum to me when I first started off my Smogon career, and it’s one of the main places I participate heavily in on the forums, Contributions & Corrections being the other. I am very active on the CAP forum and server, as I am a moderator on both, host many mini-tournaments, take care of the Late Night Tournaments, and I try to keep the forums and server free of trouble as much as I can. I am also very active on #cap. I’ve written many of the CAP analyses and three CAP articles with Umbreon Dan, as well as leading the CAP Threat List Descriptions workshop.

I’m pretty sure I am well-known by most, if not all, CAP contributors, and I don’t necessarily think I’m disliked (I hope, heh) by a lot of them. I consider myself to be a pretty nice, friendly guy and very open. I like helping out new users that come up to me that are lost (this happens a lot within C&C) and I do whatever I can to make them feel more comfortable. People have said that I’m maybe “too” nice and I don’t have what it takes to actually take a leadership role. However, I don’t really believe this is true, as I am capable of being more “mean” if I absolutely have to. I’ve actually had to do this when I set up the CAP Threat Descriptions workshop because it was horrid. If something is not turning out the way I want, I will do whatever it takes to fix it.

I am extremely familiar with competitive Pokemon. I love making teams and battling on the server, and I play practically all metagames decently. I’ve hit #1 on the CAP leaderboard several times, so that goes to show some of my battling skill. I think I’m relatively good at theorymon as well, one of the most important traits I think you need to have for leading a CAP project.

To sum this all up, I think this is a great opportunity for me to step up my game as a user and as a CAP contributor. Running for Topic Leader is long overdue for me, and I hope you all agree. Thank you very much for considering my application, and good luck to all other candidates. I’ll be happy with whatever happens!

I'm proud of you Fuzznip :')

I've been involved in CAP since partway through CAP5, and I have always actively participated in every stage by arguing for my ideas. I nearly won the Cyclohm movepool poll, and I think I would have had a chance at Colossoil's, had I been twenty minutes quicker. Usually, the options that I support win the polls, though I'm not totally sure that it's because I support them. I am open to hearing differing opinions on debatable subjects, but I will quickly see through flawed arguments.

I'm an active part of the community; you can nearly always find me in #cap or on the CAP server. In #cap, I'm one of about five users with +h right now, marking me as one of the most active and positive speakers. I'm also very active on the CAP server, which I moderate.

I may be CAP's most prominent stall player. I take pleasure in making very defensive teams and trying to wear out my opponents. I think I've had a pretty strong influence on the CAP metagame; with Fuzznip, I helped popularize bulky Salamence on CAP stall, and with HD, I proved that Rain Dance teams are still a solid force. Lately, I haven't been playing very often (busy life...) but I'm glad to say that as of tomorrow I'll be back at full activity.

I've been a heavy contributor to CAP for a long time outside of the creation process as well, in terms of writing and dedication. I wrote the current Revenankh, Pyroak, and Kitsunoh analyses (this one was recently revised by Rising Dusk). My Revenankh revamp is currently going through a Quality Control-esque stage regarding the Choice Band set. I've also written several Smog articles about CAP (many in collaboration with Fuzznip) I ran the CAP Revision Project, which was a lot like TLing a CAP, though on a smaller scale, obviously. I was recently badged in recognition of my work for CAP, and since then I've taken up doing work on the CAP website.

I feel I have what it takes to lead a full CAP. For a while, I've been interested in the idea of a Multitype CAP, but during Krilowatt's creation, the idea was removed from the polls because it doesn't work with our current process. I haven't given up the dream, though, and I believe that someday we'll be able to make a Multitype CAP.

PS: Hi Vader!

Good luck everyone! I'm LOVING this slate.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deck Knight here.

I've been involved in CAP since the very beginning and currently possess the most successful all-time contribution record for poll victories. This means I am capable of finding the needs of the community and tailoring my submissions to match that. I have an excellent understanding of the process and have contributed in every portion of CAP, including leadership roles on a few of our more esoteric ideas.

While I am amenable to the needs of the community, I also bring my own vision to the table at every level. I love getting into the thick of process and discussion, and when possible swaying the arguments to a new ground. The way I approach things has given me many friends and also many rivals. The competitive spirit of CAP is an amazing thing to be a part of.

I'm not a battler of any particularly great repute, but I understand the basics of each metagame and don't think personal knowledge is necessarily the most important area of knowledge for a TL. We have a vast collection of battling expertise among the CAP battlers, and the best battlers have the time and energy to devote to making themselves the best battlers possible. I consider that an excellent resource and I try to look at that aspect as an impartial outside observer. I get more joy out of testing obscure sets that fill a niche roll and let the battlers with more time and skill fit them using their superior teambuilding skills. CAPs generally fulfill a niche purpose and this is where I try to test the limits. Standards may be standards for a reason, but my favorite kind of strategy is one that takes the opponent by surprise. I rarely post my teams because they don't often meet my expectations for success, but when they do I am happy to share my take on a particular team strategy.

If not a top tier battler, what I am is a brutally honest competitor. I try to act at all times during policy disputes as if we are in the heat of the moment, and I'm not afraid to buck the leadership or ask for more clarification if I think it is lacking. I believe utmost in respecting my rivals but also driving them and myself forward to constantly improve how we operate in CAP. Drive and persistence are important qualities in a leader, and I strive never to tire or be fatigued; when things get hardest is when I do my best.

I've seen CAP grow through the ages ever since the haphazard process that gave us the original Syclant. We've grown leaps and bounds since then and I feel my experiences through all the projects (and side-projects, both successes and failures) makes me qualified to be a Topic Leader. I believe in honesty, I believe in vision, and I believe in giving your best effort no matter how fatigued or strained you might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)