CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission:

Thisyl
I know you've marked this as Final Submission, but I really like this name, and will likely be voting for it. It's well thought out, pretty, and sounds nice, while emphasising the flavour CAP voters have chosen for CAP 2. Hopefully RD will slate this!

I love how Nanamilia sounds, but I can't actually connect it to the Pokémon, except for its resemblance to 'camellia' :x which is a stretch since, well, the only resemblance is that camellia is a plant. While looking up the significance of 7, I did find this:

The Japanese celebrate the seventh day after a baby's birth, and mourn the seventh day and seventh week following a death.

Though I don't know if it's actually true. It could also be seen as wordplay, since one of the Japanese names for seven is 'shichi', which, for the same reason as 'shi' for 4, carries connotations of death.

Mikami

Miko (shrine maiden) + Kami (spirit)

As for others, I'd say Mystress, Maidine, Blossomen, Clairvoyelle and Dreisha are looking pretty good.

Avenguarde (Avenge + guardian + avantgarde). Many Ghost-types are very vengeful, miko serve as guardians (I presume) and avantgarde due to her graceful, alluring design.

Zeratoreph

I decided to use Hebrew, because I'm Jewish, and it's an extremely mystical and magical language. Zera זרע means seed, and Toreph טורף means carnivore. Translated correctly, it would actually be Torephet Hazera, but that's a bit too long. I may stick with Torephet if Zeratoreph doesn't get too much bad acclaim though, because it also works in Hebrew. Adding the suffix 'et' to a word approximates a feminine value to a word; so it would roughly be carnivore in the female sense

Final Submission:

Silvarium

Silva + Sacrarium

Silva - Latin for plant.
Sacrarium - Latin for shrine.

It is also reminiscent of the word terrarium: a glass container where plants are grown and are completely safe.
And it definitely has a wispy, mystical, and ghost-like feel to it.
In addition, Silva is akin to the name Sylvia, and so carries a female quality.

Let's go with Cloraith
It's a mixture of chloro (the prefix for basically everything plant-related, especially the colouring agent in plants - though this one isn't green, it could possibly use the pigment in some kind of artistic stuff like painting) and wraith (this should be obvious: a ghost, or that big tank from Halo, fitting its tanky yet destructive stat distribution).

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hiiiiiii

how about something like hellavera?

a play on hell + aloe vera

because its like a ghost and grass or like w/e

ok no you're right that is kinda dumb!!

I know you've marked this as Final Submission, but I really like this name, and will likely be voting for it. It's well thought out, pretty, and sounds nice, while emphasising the flavour CAP voters have chosen for CAP 2. Hopefully RD will slate this!
I will admit it. I have been foiled. Maybe I should stop trying... (of course this means I'll fruitlessly keep trying)

capefeather: Not to be a sour grape, but that name's already taken! Not coincidentally, it's used for a plant lady miniboss-ish monster. Source material in question is Dragon Quest Monsters Joker II.
Heatran

But I see what you mean.

Lillighast sounds too much like Lilligant for me.

Herbasarium

First one was too long, so I put Plant and Shrine together in Latin. It's "Plant Shrine" in Latin, which suits our CAP well, IMO.

Vesta
Since Apparently CAP2 is a shrine maiden, I named it after the goddess with the most famous shrine maiden.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Okay: After a night of rest (and blackouts), I've decided on Mystress as the Final Submission for the CAP.

Mystress: A blend of 'mystery' or 'mystic(al)', some sort of ethereal adjective, and 'mistress', referring primarily to the CAP who wants to dedicate herself with one individual. This name idea looks a bit like an intentional misspelling, but some Pokemon names follow that naming convention (e.g., Krabby, Bayleef, Throh).
Now for the long comments on others' names. Reminders that this is my opinion only. By the way, if this isn't allowed, mods can delete the list.

• Deck Knight: Like it. Rolls off the tongue nicely, fits.
  • Rising_Dusk: As mentioned on the IRC, it'd fit AragornBird's design than this CAP; I can understand your explanation for it, but it seems a bit masculine.
  • Flarephoenix332: At first glance, it looks like its syllables are 'or-a-dite', rather than the reference to Aphrodite. The 'ora' part of it plays three references, though, to 'oracle', 'ora' (Latin plural for mouth), and 'aura'.
  • capefeather: Hmm, I would have liked a little more blending of words, but I'd be satisfied if it won.
  • AOPSUser: I don't think the 'sketch' part of the etymology is needed, since the CAP is not embodying drawing or whatnot. Other than that, the name needs a li'l creativity.
  • Libelldra: Reminds me of Revenankh, which nullifies whatever you were going for it. :/
  • Doran Dragon: Works and fits in the pokemon naming convention; scientific name + normal word (E.g, Scolipede).
  • CuteandScary: The name is a bit turgid and is cut off due to the 10-letter limit. Maybe simplify it?
  • Yilx: I was reminded of Remilia in that name. :P But I like the 'milia' part of it, due to its multiple meanings. Though, to one unfamiliar with your creations, the 'nana' part gets lost.
  • Absolclaw: I like those sorts of blends, since the two words mix very well, and one can see one from the other. Fits with the design, too.
  • srk1214: Out of your suggestions, I like 'Scrytrap' the best. The etymology and blending work, although for some reason, it jars to fit the design. Seems like my own odd opinion.
  • FireArrow: The move Sketch is unneeded in the name of the pokemon: None of the pokemon Game Freak made (except Octillery) have moves named after it or vice versa. Perhaps create another explanation for its incorporation?
  • Tortferngatr: I like this; some sort of dark shrine maiden whose name is relatively obscure though relevant.
  • Solstice: Okay. Seems a bit of a mouthful, but I don't see nothing too bad with it.
  • younglink27: The name reminds me of Madeline. XD That happened with Virizion. The blend works for both words, though. I always like to see that with names.
  • MikeDecIsHere: I'm pretty sure 'rose' in French is 'rose'. Said other word is the past tense of 'rise'. I'd suggest a revision for that.
  • The Reptile: It feels rather lumpy as names go. If it had one less syllable, it might work better.
  • svinner: Why?
  • pux: The first name barely reminds me of Revenankh, but other than that, it's quite creative. The second... eh, nah. 'Predator' is a bit strong a word for a flytrap, since it doesn't actively go out to hunt its prey.
  • Purple Cant: Truncating 'trap' does give the name a feminine air, and the rest of the name follows through from that. Well done.
  • Oglemi: The etymology looks like 'iris' and 'tyke', rather than an obscure dryad from mythologies. The name could be just a little more clear to the audience.
  • Aerodactyl Legend: Efflorescence, while it looks the part, doesn't fit too well for the CAP. Same goes with your altered name.
  • riekku: It's too long, so 'Clairvoyew' would be the best you'll get with your suggestions.
  • Stellar: It works, it's smooth, and it can be inferred from the name both parts (though the 'sibyl' part of it may need more exemplification).
  • Master of the Six Kings: I pronounced your name in two syllables, not three. It's nice to see a departure from the common words to describe the CAP, but I think you took too much of a step sideways. 'Poise' seems a bit, well, generic; the name looks like it could work for Gardevoir.
  • macle: This is just my mind, but plasma is an amorphous, high-energy state of matter, not a ghostly substance. Additionally, the prefix is a bit simple.
  • fatty: The second one is better, at least in design, since the CAP is not a shrub at all! (Yes, it's not a flower, either, but it's not so woody.) Creative, with a hint of obscurity needed, which is just enough for the curious etymologist to discover its root words.
  • WinstonShnozwick: Hmm... Yes. Some names are unchanged from Japanese, like Pachirisu, and the components do fit. It works for me.
  • Juicy: If there was more clarity on this name works for the CAP and not for any female ghost-type, that'd be nice. Otherwise, it's a bit generic.
  • Vein: I don't see it, unfortunately. It doesn't fit the CAP, despite your intended origins.
  • Danmire: Not bad. Acceptable in origins, though a little foreign in appearance.
  • Cherub Agent: But it's not Italian. D: It's Japanese. Sure, if it had a neutral design, that would work, but it's based off of a Japanese miko. That's a thorn with the name.
  • Rodan: Uh-huh.
  • Urza: The 'dryad' part of the word could be a little more prominent, but I like your thinking.
  • bluemon: It feels a little too contrived.
  • FlareBlitz: An herbivore eats plants, though. :/ But the rest of the name is nice.
  • elementalpenguin: First name is decent, but the second is too long. Floraith, as mentioned above, is a very fair blend of the ghost and grass elements of the pokemon.
  • Son_of_Shadoo: Okay. It does seem like a name than everything else, but that's not bad or anything. Perhaps a bit civilized a name, though.
  • Spork: Long description, but still too similar to Lilligant for me--it's two letters off.
  • bugmaniacbob: I like Phytelle out of all of the choices. I'd rather not use just words unless there's some twist to them (ignore Persian :P). Nereis reminds me of the Nereids, which are sea nymphs, which would not work for a grass-type. Aphrodizzy... well, it didn't get Own Tempo, though it's a bit too lolsome.
  • Sock Monster: Why?
  • Darkhuaza517: While a good name of itself, it does seem like you're replicating Gardevoir's origins. That's all that I'm against, though, so if that's ignored, the name'd be fine.
  • andalite191: I didn't see any familiar portions of the name (but stuff like Gyarados can be the same way). I do agree Torephet works better (it reminds me a li'l of 'prophet', so that's an unintended positive).
  • ReshiramBlitz: Sorry, but it's too long. And it sounds more like a place than a pokemon.
  • Happyface: Like the above, it sounds like a place, and doesn't really give immediate image to the CAP.
  • MLaRF: Okay. I can see it in the same vein as Floraith. Normal, fair, fine.
  • Swaggersaurus: I don't think that'd be allowed in a Pokemon game, even with its vague connotations.
  • Bork: Well, there's Larvesta, and names based on one word don't work too well. A little mixing should do.

Systoll

A shrine maiden or "sister" who can hear the "bell toll" and know when people will die and/or communicate with their spirits.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Skultrap

with all the difficult pronunciations floating around this thread, I figured the best route would be to go with a simpler name. Skultrap captures the whole "dead flytrap" thing quite well and I'll admit it was influenced more than a little by Zelda :D.

Mikora

Taken from the words that could describe her: Miko and Flora; All wrapped up into what sounds like a lovely, almost short and sweet real name for a maiden of the undead that keeps its Japanese feel. This is my Final Submission.

Alright, in accordance to the comment(s), I am switching my FINAL SUBMISSION to Torephet. The explanation is on my previous post, Carnivore, Hebrew, Jewish, Prophetess, female, punctuation, etc.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Avineux

Pronunciation: Ah-VIN-nyu

Reasoning: Although our design originates as a Miko in Japanese culture, I don't see why it shouldn't expand to other cultures! Three headed dragons certainly aren't a part of German culture, yet the Hydreigon family utilizes the German language and culture to reinforce the tough nature of those Pokemon. My choice of name utilizes a similar tactic: it leans on the smoothness and suaveness of the French language to picture our design in a similar matter. Yilx's design looks outwardly beautiful and elegant, which I think French culture embraces.

Explanation: The word vine is embedded within the name, which refers directly to the vine on her back. The French word eux means "them" (or they), which is in reference to her desire to help other Pokemon rather than herself. Also, consider this quote from Yilx's art submission:

Flytrap Miko means well and just wishes to serve as a means of communication between the deceased and the living
CAP2 is a channel of sorts between the living and the dead. Another term for channel is avenue; the entire name is in reference to the word avenue, and even sounds reminiscent of the term if said out loud! As detailed by Yilx, she is an avenue of communication, simple as that. As a bonus, the word avenue originates from the feminine form of "avenu" in French, which is a small hint towards her female figure.

Also, there aren't any other Pokemon names that start with "Av", which secures Avineux a niche in the rather large Pokedex ;)

tl;dr: Avineux. "Vine" refers to her Grass-type, "Eux" refers to her primary desire to help other Pokemon, and "Avineux" sounds like avenue, which is a channel for pursuing a desired object (those that are dead).

Final Submission:

Vinecra

(vy-NECK-rah)

Vine + Necro-

"Vine" comes from the vine growing out of CAPmon's back, and "necro-" comes from the Greek word for death, as in "necromancy." I switched the suffix to end in "a" rather than "o" to make it seem more feminine, since this pokemon will likely be all-female.

I want to ask people to see beyond their own entries for a little while. It's important that you provide feedback of other names too, otherwise you're pretty much leaving it to my personal opinion as to what gets slated. Not that I mind, but I'd really like to have some community feedback in this process, otherwise people will say stuff like "WHY DIDNT YOU SLATE XXXX IT WAS SO GREAT" and I will have to deal with scores of PMs about how I'm a terrible TL. :P

Of those that have been commented on so far, I'm okay with a few of them. Thisyl is neat, I guess, but the connection to 'sibyl' is pretty much impossible to detect, and the corruption of Thistle is pretty much all that's seen. I wouldn't personally vote for it, but it is an interesting choice. At least it sounds feminine. I really dislike Scrytrap, though, since it sounds so harsh. That sounds like a name you might be able to pin on something as gruesome or angry-appearing as Carnivine, but not for something that demands a hint of elegance like CAP 2. Those are pretty much the only names that people have posted support for thus far, so yeah.

This will be my
Final Submission:

Develle
A mix between devil, evil and elle (to make it sound feminine)
It also works that it sounds like de-veil because of the dress without a veil

And to defend further, many people may say that it has no reference to grass type, but think of stunfisk, does that sound ground type to you???

Final Submission:

Necturna

It's fairly simple. It's just a mix of nectar, substance produced by a flower, and nocturnal. While I view CaP2 as interacting with ghosts, I don't see it as fully spectral, so I went with nocturnal as the ghostly part of the name.

Edited final submission if it's okay. Dropped the -al and added -a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)