CAP 22 CAP 22 - Part 13 - Wireframe Submissions

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Please note that in this thread we are taking submissions for wireframes only. If you're interested in rigging, UV mapping, or animating, please let us know, and stick around! If you're interested in creating a model sheet or other reference art, you can post that here as well as it will greatly assist the wireframe submitters. Once the winning wireframe is decided, you'll be welcome to participate in the collaboration stage which follows after it.
Feedback and questions about how we are running this process are appreciated and encouraged!

The 3D Leadership Team ("3DLT") is:
The 3DLT will be in charge of the modeling process for this CAP. The sequence of activity will be:
  1. Wireframe Submissions <== We are here
  2. Wireframe Poll
  3. Wireframe Quality Control
  4. Model Collaboration Workshop
    -Rigging and Animation
    -UV Mapping and Texturing
    -Rendering and Composition

Posting Rules
  • This thread is open for modelers and other artists to post work-in-progress (WIP) of wireframes and/or model sheets related to the winning design. Wireframe WIPs can be used to solicit feedback from the community, while model sheets can help assist the creation of the wireframes.
  • All wireframe screenshots must show the wireframe(s) in a default shading style. For the fairness of competition, please do not include any textures, animations or test renders. Such posts will be subject to moderation.
  • All images should be hosted on external sites such as imgur or puush. Please keep the dimensions and file size conservative for easy forum viewing; large images are better off provided as links. Model sheets are the only images that may bypass this rule.
  • Please DO post constructive feedback. When it comes to wireframes, the opinions of non-3D artists are equally as important as those of 3D artists. One does not need to understand the technicalities of a wireframe to make a comment; they may instead focus on the artistic elements such as shapes, proportions and anatomy. If the 3DLT thinks a user's feedback has been extremely useful and/or intelligent, credit will be given at the end of the project. Other commentators may be listed under special thanks.
  • Please do not declare any wireframe as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists. Stating a preferred wireframe is acceptable as long as some reasoning is included.
Example of a wireframe post
Example of a model sheet post
Example of a feedback post

Wireframe Rules
  • Wireframes should be in obj format.
  • Wireframes should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design or be required to use any of the model sheets provided; "artistic license" is granted. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
  • The polygon count limit for this CAP's wireframe is 20,000 triangles. Any final submission exceeding this limit will be disqualified. The polycount should ideally be appropriate to the design's complexity and the level of detail present in the wireframe. However, as long as the polycount limit has not been exceeded, modelers are encouraged to emphasize the wireframe's quality over optimizing the polycount.
  • Keep in mind that UV mapping, rigging and animation will be done at a later stage. Wireframes should be in a pose that is (within reason) as straight, orthographic and symmetrical as possible.
Final Submission
Only wireframes (not model sheets) are eligible for final submissions. Please make a final submission post conforming to the following rules:
  • The first line must be "Final Submission" (in bold).
  • Provide a link to the obj source file, hosted externally on a site such as Dropbox. The file must conform to the wireframe rules listed above.
  • Optionally, the modeler may wish to include any supporting material. For screenshots, the wireframe must be in a default shading style. The maximum number of images allowed is three (3). Each image must be within 640 px in both dimensions and not exceed 200 kB in file size. URL links to larger images is acceptable. Please do not include any textures, animations or test renders.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Modelers are welcome to work on multiple wireframes and get feedback from the community, but only one wireframe can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, please edit your post.
  • By making a final submission, you agree to allow your submitted wireframe to be modified by members of the community, and be used in the creation of the final GIFs for Pokemon Showdown!
Final Submission
OBJ file - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8FAxjo2qD_cHcwUGdjaXBxeTA

Well here it is!

Disqualification
A final submission may be disqualified if...
  • ...it does not conform with the final submission rules listed above.
  • ...the wireframe has technical deficiencies which the 3DLT deems unviable for the upcoming collaboration stages.
  • ...the wireframe is too far from completion. However, note that it does not have to be fully completed as long as 3DLT decides it can be finished within a reasonable time during the collaboration stage.
  • We may add more to this list later, but notifications will be posted in this thread to ensure it won't be missed.
The 3DLT is aware there are many rules and slip-ups may happen. Due to this, no final submission will be disqualified without prior notice. The modeler will be notified (via private messaging) and given a chance to make the necessary corrections.

Wireframe Poll
All legal final submissions will be slated for the poll. The 3DLT will render each entry to an animated gif with the following parameters:
  • Standard resolution (~360x360 px)
  • Anti-clockwise turntable animation (0.25 revs/sec) @ 25 fps
  • White mesh color on a white background; no textures
  • Pokemon-style camera, lighting, cel shader and outlines applied to the model
Here's an example of how it would look like. These animated renders (not the raw obj files) will be voted by the community. If a modeler wants to preview their wireframe's render in advance, they may send a private message to a member of the 3DLT. In the future, we may automate this step with an app like Sketchfab!

Tips for Wireframe artists
  • At this stage, the focus is primarily on technical composition and artistic interpretation of the winning design. Entries for the wireframe poll will be judged on artistic merit, such as the shapes, proportions and style.
  • Modelers are encouraged not to rush getting in all the finer details if time is limited. If their submission is chosen, they may still continue to work on it with the 3DLT during the Quality Control stage.
  • It is preferred that wireframes use quads instead of triangles. Quads tend to deform better when it comes to skinning and animation, as well as having slight technical advantages in other modeling stages.
  • If there is a need for a model sheet from the original artist, the best chance of getting one is to send them a private message. Though, as with any art request, it is still the artist's decision whether to follow up or not.
  • Please DO share notes and/or ask questions if they come up. Discussions are always welcome! Any modeling questions unrelated to this CAP should best go in the main modeling thread, however.
Tips for Model Sheet artists
  • Artistic license is granted for all artists to interpret the winning design.
  • Multiple drawings from different perspectives / camera angles would be most useful to modelers.
  • Drawings do not have to be strictly orthographic or to-scale relative to each other.
  • Lineart may be the most appropriate style to use for clarity, but any rendering style is acceptable.
  • Do not always expect the model sheet will be used by other modelers. They too, have artistic license and it is up to them to decide what resources to use. However, if the 3DLT thinks a model sheet is of acceptable standard and likely be useful to other modelers, credit will be given at the end of the project.
  • Have fun! There are virtually no rules for model sheets. When it comes to making things easier for our modelers, every little help counts. :D
-------------------------------------
Name: Kerfluffle
Typing: Fairy/Fighting
Abilities: Natural Cure / Aroma Veil
Stats: 84/78/86/115/88/119

Sprites:

Last edited by a moderator:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Apologies for this thread coming out so late! There was a ton of things to sort through first before we got things going! If you don't plan to make any submissions, it doesn't mean you cannot participate! We welcome anyone to give feedback towards any of the wireframe submissions we'll have for CAP 22, whether or not you have any background in anything 3D.

I should have a WIP Wireframe Submission of my own for Kerfluffle shortly. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
My wacky attempt at the model sheet. Thanks Sunfished, Quanyails and KrazyCake for advice :)

• The shoulder spikes flare straight to the side so they can't be seen in that view.
  • The pentagon shaped thing is the shoulder sleeve hole. The "roof" is the top spike, and the "walls" are the bottom spikes (2 at the front, 2 back).
  • Besides the face, the front view is bilaterally symmetrical.
  • My classmate asked why the side view is a condom, but I can assure you it's not. >~>
Sunfished gave me some advice I think is relevant:
Sunfished said:
  • (For the shoulder spikes) there should be 5 points, with the middle point being at the top.
  • For the points on the legs, there should also be 5, with the front view displaying 3 points, and the backside only displaying 2.
  • (For side view, the arms should be placed) somewhat in the middle between the front and back.
  • The fingers should bulge out a bit on the side view, as they aren't completely flat.
  • The hip band is a texture.
  • Finally, the feet, in my mind, worked more like this from the side view:
  • Of course, I believe modellers have free reign with creative choices, so feel free to ignore these little suggestions if you want to :p

this might be helpful too..
First, the basis for the design is based on a dakimakura, or an anime body pillow. **I heavily recommend not googling that**. These types of pillows are known to be flat, not curved around the edges like most pillows are. Here's a hopefully sfw example so you don't have to google:

As you can see, they're pretty flat. But either way, being flat or not is more of an interpretation for the design, so if you see it as rounded then go for it. It's just how I see my own.
It's a pillow-fighting anime body pillow that shoots hadoukens, with the ability to be easily cleaned by sticking it in the laundry.

Justifying everything about this design would be difficult to explain, so keeping an open mind helps it a bit.

It's based on anime body pillows, with a pillow-fighting gimmick. The body's design, where the edges are ripped, is meant to resemble kung-fu clothing, with a good example of this being Ryu's clothing from Street Fighter. This, coupled with the theme and the silly look, was meant to give it a Fairy/Fighting vibe, while making sure the design elements flowed well with each other without going overboard.

Someone said the eyes made it look psychopathic, which at first I was against. Now, it makes me realize it helps sell the idea it uses Parting Shot, so I kept the eyes. It threatens the opponent and calls their waifu derogatory names.

For the stats, I found its odd design elements helped it look somewhat neutral to what it actually can be, which helps suit the idea it's actually a special attacker. Despite being against the idea of using descriptions to explain its design elements, I'm honestly grasping at straws at this point and simply going to use Lucario and other things that looks physical but aren't as an excuse to my design.

Natural Cure can be explained in that it's a pillow and can easily be washed to clean it of its grime. Examples of mons with natural cure are things that can easily regenerate/clean, like swablu's cloud motif.

Aroma Veil can also fit, since pillows are washing-machine friendly and that I'm pretty sure all of you use detergent when you wash things.

Here's a joke pic of the backside: https://puu.sh/qCZIr/66f1176bda.JPG
(Courtesy of Magistrum for the design!)

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Kerfluffle Wireframe WIP
Screenshots:

The total tri count: 5,604 (2,871 verts)

Not much for me to say. I plan to touch up on the pillow hands and clean up the mesh a bit more around the legs. But other than that, it's not been too hard to create what I've done here.

OBJ Download

Last edited:
QxC4eva That's lewd and rude.

But seriously, I really like how Kerfluffle's wireframes are turning out so far, even if fellow users just started. The model sheet helps as well, despite potential innuendos.

Kurfluffle Wireframe WIP
Screenshots:

The total tri count: 5,604 (2,871 verts)

Not much for me to say. I plan to touch up on the pillow hands and clean up the mesh a bit more around the legs. But other than that, it's not been too hard to create what I've done here.

OBJ Download
Shouldn't the mouth be a texture instead and the tongue part of the model? The mouth being part of the model looks a little weird to me.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Shouldn't the mouth be a texture instead and the tongue part of the model? The mouth being part of the model looks a little weird to me.
I used Slurpuff's in-game model as reference for the mouth since they both stick their tongues out similarly. Slurpuff does have a 3D "lip" (still uses 2D textures for when the mouth opens), and I intended to have my Kerfluffle model behave similarly. That's how I justify it. Plus, it's more ideal to have the 3D tongue to actually stick out of a 3D mouth/lip than it is to have it stick out of a flat mesh where a mouth texture would go. That's just how I see it anyway.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The arms look a little too long to me. Perhaps they look that way only because they are outstretched straight, and will look more normal when bent in a fighting stance. But as an artist, I'm fairly accustomed to looking at vitruvian poses, and gauging proportions. Not saying there is any objectively correct arm length for Kerfluffle, but FWIW they look a tad bit too long, to my eye.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention -- great work DJTHED and QxC4eva on the wireframe so far! I know it's early going, but I always love seeing CAP designs "come to life" in 3D form!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just want to say that the arms' length looks correct to me. When spriting, the arm length was an early issue for me and using the official art's arms as a reference, to me they seem that when Kerfluffle's arms are flat down on its sides, its hands (hand-cushions) are quite close to touching the ground (but don't quite reach it). I haven't counted pixels or anything with what DJ posted, but to me they look like they follow that guideline right now.

Kerfluffle just has long arms (compared to its legs). So yeah, comparing it to a normal vitruvian pose is going to have some wonky perceptions, but that's more of kerf's anatomy itself than anything else.

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
IMO Kerfluffle's arms length is normal. He doesn't have long arms, just that the legs are really really short so it makes the arms look long. Going by the arm proportions on the model sheet, it's barely long enough for him to even scratch his head!

So leg length - when a human does the standing splits, notice the foot usually goes all the way above the head (or about nose level for young child / cartoon character) imagine Kerfluffle did that, his foot only get up to the sleeves :P

I think the model proportions is fine as well, last time I checked it's identical to the sheet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)