CAP 24 CAP 24 - Part 11 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the sumo-related names, I'd prefer to try and bring out its Fairy typing with the name rather than going with a fighting theme.

Billy the Uncle : I think "Mr." takes away from the name. How about just "Haobao"

Here are mine:
WIP

Spiroot

Spirit + Root

Pronounced: "SPE-root"

Baobow

Bao for baobab. Bow has a triple meaning: the act of bowing, a sign of respect; the bow tied in its shimenawa; bough, the limb of a tree.

Pronounced: "BAY-oh-baow"

the_4_end suggested Aribaobow but I'm suggesting a different pronounciation. the_4_end, if you want to take this interpretation of the name for your own, then it's fine by me, since you suggested the other name first.

Baoboeira

pronounced bae, oh, BWAIR, uh

Combination of Baobob and Capoeira, the Afro-Brazilian martial art that fuses fighting with music and dance. Cap 24 looks like it’s up for a dance battle!!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Baoberon

Pronounced BAYO-ber-ron (blend first two syllables)

Baobab + Oberon, Shakespeare's King of the Faeries.

Last edited:
WIP

Eucalyptank

"Eucalyptus" + "Tank"

A combination of thick eucalyptus trees and a tank, since he's heavy and tough looking.

I was looking at fancy stuff, and then remembered that I submitted this as a name for a Flash CAP. It won, and is in the CAP kitchen. He too was designed to focus on both Sun and Sand, and also ended up having Drought as a primary ability. The stat spread and typing were surprisingly similar too, although the original was Grass/Rock instead of Grass/Fairy. The name might not mention Africa or Sumo wrestling... but let the dream continue! Here's the link to the CAP Kitchen page. LET EUCALYPTANK LIVE ON!

WIP 2

Baoasis
Bay-oh-asis

Baobab, Oasis. Pretty much a Wonderwall, I heard you say. Hey now, If this wins, don't look back in anger, and don't play a sad song. Perhaps slide away, and watch the Champagne Supernova if you have feel hung in a bad place. It's just the nature of reality... Sorry.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Ancestree

A combination of "ancestor" + "tree"; also sounds like "ancestry".

Pronounced: "AN-sess-tree"
IPA: æn.sɛs.tɹi

This CAP is an odd flavor mix of a tree from Madagascar and a sash from Japan. One thing these cultures have in common, and in keeping with the Fairy typing, is reverence for the spirits of ancestors. A tree that embodies the sacredness and protection of past generations brings out the spiritual quality of the art and the defensive qualities we are seeking in this CAP.

WIP II

Dynastree

Combination of "Dynasty" and "Tree". Given that Baobabs have fairly long lifespans, they've probably experienced a couple of dynasties in their lifetime.

Pronounced: Die-Nass-Tree (daɪnəstre)

Resinshine

A play on "Resin" and "rise n' shine". If I recall correctly, our baobab could shoot sap out of its hands, and one of its abilities is Drought.

Pronounced: Rye-sin-shine (ɹɛzɪnʃaɪn)

I decided to abandon my previous submission because I felt as though the origins were a bit too esoteric, and I didn't like how it sounded. I'm leaning towards Resinshine a bit more, but I'd like to hear what y'all prefer.

Last edited:
WIP 2

Dryobab
Dryabab
Dryaobab

I figured Working with Dryad + Baobab is probably the best I could do, however I am unsure which of these three would work best.

WIP

Maishobab
Pronounciation: Maa-IY-sho-bab

This is a combination of Maisha, the Swahili word for life, and baobab.

Swahili is an African language if you were wondering.

WIP

Debozz

Klingon Deb [ɖɛb] 'desert, wasteland' + Malagasy bozo [buzʷ] 'baobab', also sounds simillar to the boss.

Pronounced: de-BOZ
IPA: dɛ.bɒz

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Last one from me, and with some help from the #flavour room on Discord;

WIP [3]

Feyobab

Fey + Baobab

Pronounced: Fay - Oh - Bab

If one is in doubt, one should return to their... roots. And find a simple portmanteau in their own language.

I'm a bit new to the CAP Project, but I do want to contribute to this.

WIP

Baobazuna

Baobab + Yokozuna, the highest rank in sumo.

Pronaunced: Bao-BA-Zuna

EDIT: And I just realized that when I was going over the thread to see if anyone else had put this name up, I missed DougJustDoug's submission (Baokozuna). Oops. still leaving this up here as an alternate option though.

Last edited:
WIP

Bombarid

Bombacoideae + Arid

Pronounced: Bom-BEAR-rid

Uses part of the scientific name for a baobab tree, as well as referencing the climate they normally live in.

I've always liked to reference scientific names whenever I felt one could fit and this is no exception.

WIP

Hazonia

Pronounced: Hay-ZO-nee-ah

From "Hazo" ("tree" in Malagasy) + Adansonia (the genus baobabs belong to).

An alternative submission in case the previous one (which has a sumo touch to it) isn't well-received.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Moderator Announcement:

This thread is now open for Final Submissions.

Please read the OP formatting rules very carefully. Any final submission that does not EXACTLY follow the prescribed format, will be disqualified without warning.

The Name slate will be constructed collectively by the CAP moderators. As stated in the OP, we will not slate names that are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Ancestree

A combination of "ancestor" + "tree"; also sounds like "ancestry".

Pronounced: "AN-sess-tree"
IPA: æn.sɛs.tɹi

This CAP is an odd flavor mix of a tree from Madagascar and a sash from Japan. One thing these cultures have in common, and in keeping with the Fairy typing, is reverence for the spirits of ancestors. A tree that embodies the sacredness and protection of past generations brings out the spiritual quality of the art and the defensive qualities we are seeking in this CAP.

Final Submission

Eucalyptank

A combination of "Eucalyptus," a tree type + "tank," a sturdy war weapon.

Pronounced: "YOU-call-ipp-tank"

porg_111

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Baobayaka

From "Baobab" the tree it base on and "Odayaka" Japanese for calm, gentle

Pronounced: "bay-oh-ba-ya-ka"

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Baokozuna

A combination of "Baobab" (the tree in the design) + "Yokozuna" (Japanese revered grand champion).

Pronounced: "BAY-oh-koh-ZUNE-uh"
IPA: ˈbeɪoʊkoʊˈzuːnə

Final Submission

Amazuna

Combination of "Amaterasu" (Japanese sun goddess) and "Yokozuna" (sumo wrestling champion).

Pronounced: "Ah-mah-ZU-nah"

Final Submission

Bombarid

"Bombacoideae", part of the scientific name for a baobab tree + "arid" referencing the climate that baobab trees usually live in.

Pronounced: Bahm-BEAR-id

Final Submission

Hazonia

A portmonteau of "Hazo" ("tree" in Malagasy) and Adansonia (the genus baobabs belong to).

Pronounced: "Hay-ZO-nee-ah"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)