CAP 3 CAP 3 Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before anyone ever question why there art submission thread is here and not in Smeargle Studio has to do with the fact that I believe the art submission would get better replies and more notices if it was in the same area the entire project is at. I'm aware that I'm late with this thread by about five days, sorry all artist.

Now there's isn't much I have to tell you about this thread since the main use for it is to gain up any artist willing to take some time out of their busy schedules to create a few designs for our Pokemon in the making. Most of what is known about it is in bold. At the end of the submission period, I will select the best submission to be voted on and onwards.

Code:
Type: Fire/Grass
Style: Balanced
Offensively Built: Special
Defensively Built: Mixed/Balanced defenses.
Speed: hasn't be chosen yet but it's between Medium to Fast if that helps you.
Doesn't evolve from any previous pokemon

Ahaha, I've been waiting for this. Here are my submissions!

I put my heart into everything there. Hope you guys enjoy it.

I actually like the second and last guy best. I cried when I saw the woodman looking guy and noticed that everyone voted for Special offense.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yess!!! The art thread!!! The place where I can't muddle the topic with needless details xDDD

Anyway, this is the most fun part of CaP for me ;D

I love the third guy, it has a sleek body to it that seems to run parallel with high special, though I might actually prefer digits as opposed to clubs for his "hands."

Still awesome.

Great job

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I had the same reaction Gothic Togekiss had to the second one...it was my favorite until I realized "we" voted this a special attacker :(

What if you evolved the first 1? It looks more like a basic Pokemon than an evolution to me...I do like it, though.

Third one is definitely my favorite, though I do agree that it should probably have hands of some kind.

Damn those things are awesome, too bad there's already a 'salamader', since this pokemon SCREAMS for a name involving that...

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like how within the first 5 minutes there was 4 pokemon submited, anyways Elagune's 2nd one looks awsome but i dont see much fire, if you made the fire comeing out of its back more easy to see it would help, and for those who say it looks to phy. based why not give the pokemon 80-90 base phy. attack and turn the arms into flamethrower-cannons?
The first looks decent, but lacks Grass elaments other than the leaves around its head.
The 3rd and 4th (i assume 4th evolves into 3rd) loog very cool, but they have the same problem as the fist in that i dont see much grass other than some leaves stuck round their neck and wrists, they also look a bit to similer to the Charizard family IMO.

Very nice drawings though.

Boingo not bad but i dont see much grass, your creature looks more like a dark/fire or some sort of mage.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gah, it already started? And already a couple viable designs, too. Oh well, I only have sketches at the moment, but depending on how these ideas evolve, I'll probably have them fleshed out and colored by Thursday. So here it goes:

Design 1

This is the only viable Fire/Grass (going by the criteria of it being a fire type with grass properties) design I've created so far, and it's pretty unintimidating compared to Elagune's designs. This design is based on the tanuki, or raccoon dog, of Japanese folklore. I decided to opt against giving it a big belly, a traditional mythical tanuki trait, to keep it small and cute (after all, we still need a cute 'mon ^_^). I also decided to opt against the other traditional tanuki trait of having big, malleable balls for my sanity's sake. The main tanuki trait I've taken is the leaf. In Japanese folklore, tanukis can use leaves a part of their shape-shifting magic. I know none of you are too keen on giving another pokemon Transform, so I decided to generalize the idea, making it use its leaf (the one it's holding anyway) to attack. I didn't want to abandon the "balls" trait entirely though, so I gave it a necklace made of large seeds. Sure, it isn't balls. But it's probably better that way...

The next three designs are more Grass/Fire than Fire/Grass, but I didn't want to toss them.

Design 2

Hehehe, this design's a bit simple. Basically, it's a giant bell pepper with a sombrero and a mustache. I decided to design its arms like maracas. Not much else to say about it.

Design 3

Oh look, another pepper-based design... Anyway, this is actually based on a Dimetrodon, a sort of psuedo-dinosaur with a sail on its back, as well. Again, nothing much to say about it.

Design 4

Erm, this design's based on an exploding pea pod. Okay, this'll need a bit of explaining, so bear with me. There is a plant that can spread its seeds by exploding with a slight disturbance. While that plant has no direct relation to any species of pea, I thought it was a cool idea at the time, so I stuck with it and took a plant that hasn't been used by pokemon and gave it the explosive properties.

Bleah, I'm trying too hard in this case. But still, it's an exploding plant. That's awesome, even if it's only to me...

Gah, I have a few more designs to post, but my scanner's being stupid at the moment, so meh.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Elagune's second image is so badass. I don't see why people think a buff-looking pokemon with oak arm cannons neccesarily precludes special attack power. Hi Magmortar.

The first one is too Weavile-ey. The rest are all well drawn but we have enough Salamander-ish things about between Zard and Mence.

In contrast, I really like CyzirVishun's Tanuki. Nothing says "awesome" like flaming cuddly racoon of DOOM.

Second image: There's a new mexican grass type in town...

Exploding Peapod is LOL totally awesome.

I got to give Elagune credit those are some awesome pics if 2 or 3 wins i would be happy camper.

My favorite is Elagune second which has i am the rival of Blastotise feel to me.It gives me the same in inner little boy wow thats cool feeling a get when i see Lucario, Blaziken,Darkrai, Groudon, T-tar,you know bad ass when you see it.

Sadly for the people who vote physical that pic could have been their rallying cry.Truthfully that pics looks more physical to me but special works very fine as well.

Great designs so far. My thoughts and feed back on a few of them.

Elagune,
My favorite ones are the second one and the third one. I think the second one looks like a great monster to be using wood hammers and definitely adds a new needed element to the Pokemon world of "wood" plant types. I like it, however, it only has 2 color schemes? I think it should have a little bit more color added into it, maybe some type of green moss on the wood or more green/tree details to further suggest grass affiliation.

I also like your third one a lot, but it needs fingers. And one thing I think the second and third design from yours could use are colored pupils. Remember Pokemon are supposed to be anime like in origin and Japanese animated characters usually have very expressive eyes. That is the Pokemon style.

Boingo,
Cool drawing! I love the Jack O lantern concept, but I feel yours looks more like a Spiderman villain than a Pokemon XP. A Jack O Lantern that feels more organic like it grew out of the ground would be more suitable I think.

CyzirVisheen,
Man, you must of been drawing a lot for all those designs. You got some great ideas there, and put the Dimetrodon concept to good use. I love the fact that you've been incorporating chili peppers. I'd really like to see some more chili pepper incorporation for this monster that is supposed to be a "heated plant". I personally like all your designs, however the bellpepper dude kind of reminds me of that drink from Aqua teen hunger force XP.

I feel a bit odd looking at it and thinking that. Maybe you should color it! That way the color schemes and mustache might make it look more distinct.

Woodman design makes for a perfect mixed wall, and it's slow and tankish. We can remedy the special/physical shit by making those wood blocks "Cannons", And turning those jets at the back into flame.

This guy is my first attempt, I realised after I'd done it that having no arms or legs might be a problem, but designing a fire/grass pokemon that doesn't look suicidal is harder than I thought.

I cried when I saw the woodman looking guy and noticed that everyone voted for Special offense.
This is why stats should not be distributed till after the art is chosen. Because depending on the look of the Pokemon, that should be the sole thing that the stats are built around, since their body types should be able to better decide their abilities in battle.

CyzirVisheen's third sketch is probably my favourite for now. I really really admire the woodman, but it doesn't fit the stats at all. The snake is a very cool concept as well, but I can't imagine that one being fast enough.

Elagune's first one looks very good too, but reminds me a little too much of Weavile.

EDIT: Bluekikatana, you're missing the point of the project - to create a Pokemon for the OU metagame. We can't allow us to be restricted by what a Pokemon looks like. In my opinion it would be better suited after everything is done, so we don't get amazing art (like the woodman) that we simply cannot use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)