CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 6 (Base Stat Total)

How much Base Stat Total should our new Pokemon have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lord Gloom has some really good points. All things considered, I don't really want it to get Chlorophyll. If his special offense is going to be high, it doesn't need the boost to be good. I'd much prefer an ability that allows it to heal in the sun (much like Ice Body), or perhaps even a Drought clone.

Going with 540ish and Medium.

I'm gonna have to say Medium.

I personally think it should be 530-535. But I'm cool with a little higher/lower.

Am I the only one that would like a high HP on this thing? I'm not saying 100+, but at least something above 85. In fact, it probably would be easier to make a more balanced in a BST if we gave it a slightly higher HP than pepole are currently shooting for.

Why are the options so high? The vast majority of fully evolved Pokemon have a stat total of 500 or lower, including many popular and powerful pokemon like Skarmory, Heracross, Dugtrio, Forretress, Breloom, Bronzong and Wobbuffet. We should try to respect the existing power curve.

there is no 545-580 option because there are no existing pokemon with a BST in that range.
Arcanine, Togekiss, and Syclant say "hi."

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Why are the options so high? The vast majority of fully evolved Pokemon have a stat total of 500 or lower. We should try to respect the existing power curve.
While that may be true, remember just how many of these pokemon are UU or worse. UUs greatly outnumber OUs, but that doesn't mean we have to make something fit the curve just because of this.

But would people have voted on 500 or lower if there was an option for it? I'm aware the option have huge gaps but I selected them for a larger area of coverage, that noticing there's no pokemon with a BST between 580 and 600.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Heh. Well first, Medium speed.

Second, haha, I saw another 60 HP / 100 Def / 105 Def set...guys, general consensus seems to be making this bulkier than Spiritomb ;)

Anyway, I am going to go ahead and request that all of you who claim that having lower HP will actually have noticeable in-battle advantages for SubSeeding provide some actual proof and / or opinions from well known, respected battlers. Because honestly, all my interrogations to such respected and qualified battlers as Mekkah, Surgo, Carl and Tangerine have yielded is that sure, while having lower HP allows you to suck a higher percentage out, it rarely makes any significant difference.

Karrot and Gormenghast, two other well known and respected battlers on this site, made a point to forget about SubSeeding, and I am going to remain consistent with this idea. Leech Seeding itself is a much more effective strategy than SubSeeding. Besides, having Fire as this things primary Type assists it enough in the Leech Seed category, lol.

Anyway, this spread emphasizes three main points:

1.) It should be B-B-B-Bulky (this means potential spreads of 60 HP / <125 Def / <125 SpD are just lol), to be able to support the team with a plethora of potential Grass support options (along with the cool Will-o-wisp and Lava Plume options Fire provides) and get out of the rut of fragile Fire Pokemon. To emphasize the originality factor and try to make it somewhat efficient on defenses, I am also going to make its HP high.

2.) It should be able to Special Attack effectively. This was the community's decision, not mine. I wanted physical, but I'll back down to the will of the community.

3.) As I outlined in the previous topic, its potential counters (not necessarily in the traditional definition, just checks lets say), such Gyarados, Tyranitar and Togekiss should be able to outspeed it. Hence, 60 base Speed.

I am using a BST of 540 as well.

X / 70 Atk / Y / 105 SpA / Z / 60 Spe

This gives us 70 Atk for a maximum of 262, not bad for a surprise Wood Hammer / Flare Blitz CB set, and the minimum Speed to allow Tyranitar to hopefully remain effective against it. 105 SpA gives it a maximum of 339, more than enough to take advantage of its great STAB, HP Ice, and as Deck Knight mentioned before, possible Earth Power, as there is precedent for Fires to obtain this.

This allows us 305 to emphasize on the defenses and HP. Heatran is a OU defensive Fire, but it is exactly even on the defenses, though generally emphasizing Special Defense. That's why I'll make it a teenie bit biased towards physical defense, while of course, keeping its HP high.

115 HP / 102 Def / 83 SpD.

This yields it to be more defensive on average than Heatran, emphasize the physical side, yet actually be weaker special defensively than Heatran. It allows Heatran to keeps it niche, while surpassing it in other regards.

This gives:

115 HP / 70 Atk / 102 Def / 105 SpA / 83 SpD / 60 Spe, with 5 leftover to reach 540.

That 5 can go anywhere; if you guys want to reach Gengar type Special attack, you can throw it in there, or if you guys feel that this should outspeed Tyranitar, you can throw them there. I, however, I am going to throw those 5 into Attack, just to make its surprise potential a wee bit more effective. Also, because I believe the 30% line has to be reached, I'll tweak SpA.

115 HP / 74 Atk / 102 Def / 106 SpA / 83 SpD / 60 Spe

My search for a relatively unique spread and purpose yielded me this spread. This is kind of similar to Hippowdon / Suicune / Gastrodon, Suicune the most. However, because of its reduced Speed, higher Special attack, better STAB, it is more of an effective special attacker than Suicune without allowing it to beat its counters. The lack of Calm Mind will also separate Suicune and this Pokemon, along with (hopefully) and a lack of Roar, though that might be assuming too much.

Potential special attacking spreads would look like 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe Modest, reaching 434 HP / 184 Atk / 240 Def / 342 SpA / 202 SpD / 157 Spe. This would allow it to support the team with decent general bulk and hit the opposition, but not first. The lack of speed is a serious check against its defensive and offensive potential.

A pure supporting set, let's say, emphasizing physical defense, would look like 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD, Bold. This would have 434 HP / 184 Atk / 308 Def / 248 SpA / 226 SpD / 156 Spe, clearly a physical tank capable of switching into threats such as Garchomp and Heracross. This is probably the set I would run, as I certainly see Lava Plume / Grass knot / Rest / Leech Seed as the running standard on this, as Karrot has previously stated.

Anyway, I'm also going to take a step back and emphasize why eric the espeon's point in that last topic about how not maximizing efficiency would help "make it not broken" or something is wrong. Maximizing defenses on a Defensive Pokemon is beneficial to balancing the metagame. Look at the top 50 used on Shoddy...a good majority are offensive types, and the defensive types are only there to ensure that those offensive types are countered, lol. This is a decidedly offensive metagame.

Additionally, you guys added two Pokemon that are very offensive to the metagame. Syclant is obvious, and say what you want about Revenankh being mixed, the bottom line is that Fighting / Ghost is the most efficient offensive typing in the game, and you guys gave it Bulk Up + Shadow Sneak in order to increase its already good Attack and priority attack whatever comes in.

As such, making a very good Pokemon defensively not only balances the normal metagame, but also the metagame you guys have altered by the addition of two Pokemon who together are much more offensive than defensive.

And that, by the way, is completely forgetting about the fact that you all want high Special Attack anyway, so this thing will have potential offensively as well to take advantage of its STAB.

If we use X-Act's great guide for analyzing stats:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39447

And plug in my spread, we get 528 for the final number, putting it in the "Very Good" category.

Very good would put it in the category of Togekiss and Milotic, two Pokemon somewhat similar to this. Both are good defensively and emphasize one attack over the other. This however, is the physically defensive version, with better typing in order to make up for its abysmal speed.

I dunno about you, but a very Bulky Pokemon just seems right if we are trying to balance metagame.

115 HP / 74 Atk / 102 Def / 106 SpA / 83 SpD / 60 Spe

Consider it!

I voted 526-545, because I'd like to give it around 530-540 overall.

As for speed:
Medium

69 is my optimum speed for this, since it let's it outspeed non-scarf, non +speed nature Togekiss. I hate Togekiss and it's haxish ways.

Consider it!
Take it up to 69 speed and I'd likely vote for it. =P

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
But Togekiss is going to be one of the few counters to this :(

With it's high special attack and STABs, Togekiss is definitely one of the few Pokemon that can actually stand up to it, especially with Roost. I think its haxish ways are necessary to keep this bad boy in check ;D

Then it would just force it to run a +speed nature. At least that way it's not as stupid haxy against other Pokemon. Plus, 69 speed only outspeeds those previously mentioned Togekisses if this guy runs 252 EVs and a +speed nature. It's not something everyone would do, but the option is always nice if you wanted to run it a little more offensively.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To everyone, I did the poll like that because there were talk about slimming the choices down to two choices: 500-525 and 526-545. I was going to submit those two only but decided to add 580, 600, and 670-680 in as well to it fair to people who actually like those BST limits. I understand that 526-545 is a huge leap but maybe when the poll is done and 526 -545 wins, I might separate them into smaller blocks.
526 -545 has pretty much already won, could we do a bold text vote spliting it into 526-535 and 536-545?

526 -545 has pretty much already won, could we do a bold text vote splitting it into 526-535 and 536-545?
Hm...there have been alot of complains about how the BST limit been posted and I do like the idea of splitting it into smaller chucks for fairness purposes. I let actual poll stay open and just add the option of decided what chuck of number you prefer. Not sure if other like this idea but I say go ahead anyway.

Hrmm, I'd consider starting another thread. Looking back at the build poll, there were about 100 votes total, and there are already 81 here with 58% going towards the 526-545 option. While possible, it's not very likely that the other 20 or so people that voted in build that haven't voted yet (if they intend to at all) will vote for 500-525.

I say new thread rather than just updating this one, because it's more likely to get people back in if it's a new thread. Either leave this one open for speed, or have the next one be both, I dunno. That one's up to you. =P

But Togekiss is going to be one of the few counters to this :(

With it's high special attack and STABs, Togekiss is definitely one of the few Pokemon that can actually stand up to it, especially with Roost. I think its haxish ways are necessary to keep this bad boy in check ;D
Not really. Just a Modest 'Kiss with no SpAtk EVs (lol wtf?) always at most 3HKOs (this is on Max HP, +SpDef natured, Max SpDef Fire/Grass dude).

And even a Max SpAtk Grass dude won't 2HKO back (against a no SpDef no HP Modest Kiss). In fact with around Max SpDef (Modest) and a small investment in HP (which I don't reccomend, but whatever), the thing won't even 3HKO you with Fire Blast

So I really don't think it's a problem. Togekiss will probably counter this thing whether it outruns non +Spd pokes or not.

Aldaron

geriatric
Are you using my spread, AS?

And hmm, I could bump up that Speed to 69, but can I have more reasons? I have no problem knocking 4 off of Attack and 5 off of Special Attack, but is there a specific reasoning for this 69 Speed?

The thing is, AS, if Togekiss is slower than this, and if it is switching into a Fire attack, it will have to be able to survive 3 more Fire attacks if it 3HKOs back. I'm sure our Pokemon will be able to 4HKO Togekiss with Fire Blast, though, Togekiss does have Roost and Thunder Wave so...

Only problem is, even with Thunder Wave and Roost, a minimum HP minimum Special Defense Togekiss is always 2HKOed by a 342 Fire Blast. It does have a chance (minimal however) to survive a 331 Fire Blast (the max Special Attack if I dock it down to 101). That's why I want the Speed at 60, so that it would have to put 160 EVs in Speed to have a Speed Tie and then 252 EVs in Special Attack + Nature to beat minimum Togekiss. It would have to have significant EV investment in order to beat Togekiss, and that is the minimum Togekiss.

What I really want is for Togekiss to have the ability to outspeed this Pokemon if Togekiss runs 252 EVs neutral nature and this Pokemon runs 252 EVs +nature. 69 Speed would let this Pokemon outspeed Togekiss by 1 :X I'd be willing to compromise at 68 heh, though, if you can provide more reasoning as to why this Pokemon should outspeed Togekiss, I'll consider that as well.

I voted for the 526-545 base stat range and medium speed since I believe that such a type combination would make a neat Sunny Day Pokémon. Personally, when I think of a Fire/Grass Type, I think of some kind of cross between a plant and a volcano. I'm guessing that I got my inspiration from the Yu-Gi-Oh monster card Firegrass, and the Volcano Lotus, an enemy fire-spitting plant from Super Mario World.

Anyways, even though we're not at those parts yet, for the Ability, I'd vote for Chlorophyll, and for the Base Stats, I'd like to suggest something around this set here:

HP: 95
Atk: 85
Def: 90
SpA: 100
SpD: 90
Spe: 70

Finally, for some moves to consider for a volcano/plant hybrid, in addition to the usual Fire and Grass Type attacks (like Fire Blast, Solarbeam, Flamethrower, and Energy Ball), I'd consider Eruption, Seed Bomb, Wring Out, Power Whip, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Razor Leaf, Wood Hammer, and maybe Stone Edge. I would've considered some more original attacks as well (like, oh, Flame Leaf or Fire Whip), though the majority would be what I'd consider as Fire/Grass Type attacks (in much the same way as I would've considered Steel Wing to be a Steel/Flying Type attack, or Muddy Water to be a Water/Ground Type attack).

@Aldaron: Not many reasons, but I'm not going to explain it all out at the moment. Just noticed I'm on GT's list of people he wants to consult for BST spreads, so I need to clear everyone else's spreads out of my mind so I don't accidently swipe anything.

It'll all be explained later, but not until I finalize everything which won't be until tomorrow probably (especially since the BST seems to be going until Thursday).

I say new thread rather than just updating this one, because it's more likely to get people back in if it's a new thread. Either leave this one open for speed, or have the next one be both, I dunno. That one's up to you. =P
Or I could just say that the speed range is from 60 to 110 and be done with it. ;P. I'll do the spillover thread because it seem to be something that people really want decided on...that and because I was going to do that anyway.

So can Heatran and Moltres. Really, being able to 2HKO Bliss under specific circumstances isn't any indication of being overpowered.
Sorry, I was gone, but I'll get around to replying right about now.

Firstly, neither of these two have the defenses of our supposed Pokemon. You can argue that they're just as buff if not moreso on the BST side of things, but when you factor in the amazing typing our guy has and compare it to those two, it seems pretty obvious who has the ability to come in on more things. Heatran is 4x weak to a very, very common type, and Moltres suffers under Stealth Rock like no other. Add to that that two of the three weaknesses our Pokemon will have are downright uncommon and you end up with undeniable bulk.

Second, neither can utilize Sunny Day the way this guy can. Sure, it isn't decided, but a lot of people do, or at least did, want Chlorophyll on him, and from a flavor perspective, it fits like a key in a door. Even with his downright "meh" speed, after a single turn he instantly skyrockets to faster than nearly everything (which won't be seem to be a problem setting up after looking at his general bulkiness). Add to this is the fact that his second STAB perfectly compliments his Fire and you have the makings of a monster; sure, not every set will lend itself to it, but I'd laugh at someone who denied the very real possibility of this dude running Sunnybeam.

Lastly, neither of these two have the same monster coverage on their STABs as this guy do. They can both run the exact same set as this guy, and you never see it for all three of these reasons that I outlined. This guy will do the exact same thing those two can theoretically do and do it with flying colors. Simply put, this Pokemon seems like, to me, an experiment in making an already high risk, high reward strategy into something viable and relatively easy to execute. Call me melodramatic if you want, playing the role of the harbinger of doom here, but I can guarantee that if this Pokemon goes the way I think it's going, the results won't be pretty, so to speak.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Medium.

I was going to submit my own spread and see what people thought of it, but Aldaron has already covered everything I wanted to see in this Pokemon with his.

It has just enough special defense to become a running threat against waters, electrics, and grass types, and enough defense to allow it to compete with the likes of Tyranitar/Gyarados/Togekiss without overpowering them.

60 base speed puts it only 2-3 points below Tyranitar's max speed, meaning if Tyranitar wants to outspeed it it would have to run absolute max speed (which by itself proves this Pokemon is going to change the metagame somehow).

Its evenly distributed spread allows it to go either offensive or defensive. Remembering its access to a large move pool, this Pokemon is going to have a lot of options to choose from.

And for the people who argue about the choice between Hidden Power: Ice or Ground (maybe Rock) on a sweeping set, Ice is superior, as Heatran can be covered by a Dugtrio (scarf it if you are afraid of Scarf Heatran) and smart switches. ;]

Also, Lord Gloom has warned us constantly that this Pokemon could easily become a monster. I would heed him, intelligent people, because from what I can predict (and, whether you know it or not, I have mastered the art of balance) he is probably right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)