CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll keep the shiny like this since it can be changed any time via a simple recolour. Again, ideas on variations of gender would be nice since i'm kinda stuck on that.

By the way, I can't understand why people think KoA's sprite fits the stats better, as far as I know his speed isn't going to be abysmally low so he doesn't need the look of a slow tank.
You can make female with larger hair and skirt

I've messed with the back sprite a little bit. It's not too much better, but oh well..

I just cant seem to get the hair right. If anyone has any suggestions or feedback or can me help me out in some way, please don't hesitate :)

wyverii, this would be more work, but what about doing a different coloration for males and females? with a lot of lizards (and birds, and mammals, and fish and yadayadayada) the males are more brightly colored than the females to show off. i think it'd be quite appropriate for this guy.

that, and human gender differences applied to this would just look kind of dumb, in my humble opinion.

By the way, I can't understand why people think KoA's sprite fits the stats better, as far as I know his speed isn't going to be abysmally low so he doesn't need the look of a slow tank.
It's cool to voice your opinions and everything, but don't try to bring another sprite down.

I've tryed to adjust the sprite, and I also made a male sprite since the first one looked more like a female. Now I only have to make the shinys and maybe change few things, like the right cannon, which looks a little short and out of place.

I am really liking these right now. I'm kinda stuck on which i should vote for, Koa's or wyiverii's. Koa's shows the spread really well but wyiverii's just owns. I prefer T.I.B.M's colour scheme though.

As far as I'm concerned, this is, right now, the best entry, and I'm going to vote for it. That doesn't mean another sprite might surpass it in the future, but right now, this is my favorite.

Regarding the male/female variations, you can go the obvious way and lengthen the hair/skirt (one, but not both would be ideal, the male/female variations are usually in one detail only), or you can, for example, make the cannons of different sizes, or make the chest plate bigger/smaller, or... why not, extending the wood mask down to the jaw in one of them.

Lengthened hair and did a subtle desaturation of the main skin. I think everything is nearly finished in regards to this. I'll still be accepting changes but thank you all for your support and help. ^^

Hazmat: That's a rather nasty thing to say, I did not in any way attack KoA's sprite. I was providing an opinion into why I thought my own sprite was relevant to the stats. I guess you took the slow tank comment as an insult when it was a observation.

TIBM: Very nice, I'd mess with the colours a bit and close up some gaps in the outline such as at the cannon hole and at the skirt. The lower part of the legs below the wooden ankle don't match each other so i'd lengthen or shorten one to even it up. I can feel a lot of motion in this which is a good thing but the arms make it looks as if it was going to topple over, so if you want to keep the pose balanced i'd redo the legs to give some stability.

Hazmat: That's a rather nasty thing to say, I did not in any way attack KoA's sprite. I was providing an opinion into why I thought my own sprite was relevant to the stats. I guess you took the slow tank comment as an insult when it was a observation.

I'm fine with you giving opinions about how your sprite is relevant to the stats, but talk about your sprite. Making examples of individual artists, no matter how subtle, is still making examples.

I still see an indirect statement illustrating that you feel KOA's doesn't fit the stat spread "better" than yours (or whoever you were talking about). Let your excellent (I really do love them) sprites do the talking, and leave your non-constructive opinions about other art to yourself. If it is constructive, you could give some pointers -- otherwise, I see this as lobbying.

Just wanted to add some more feedback.

Wyverii, that comment about KoA's sprite seemed like a childish dig. Almost, "I can't see why anyone would like KoA's sprite over mine" - at least, that's how I read it.

I still think Wyverii has the better head and legs... but I really like this new sprite from KoA. The cannons are perfect, and IMO they are the only bit that let Wyverii's sprite down.

The main problem I have with KoA's sprite is that it doesn't look like a pokemon, from a pokemon game, and I think this is due to the outline. As pointed out before, all the D/P sprites have a black/close-to-black outline... so a sprite without it looks odd to me....

Very well, I retract my statement if it bothers people so much and sorry for causing an argument.

Now, i'd rather see crit for other submissions such as TBIMs. They haven't been getting much love of recent and they do have the potential to become very good sprites if pushed in the right direction.

I'm currently off to do icon sprites and second pose for kicks.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wyverii, great submissions, and ignore Hazmat, he is just being pedantic with you. Your statement was absolutely fine.

I am seriously loving your sprites...great job!

Great, Wiverii FTW.
Comparation between Nopie and Wiveri backs:

Nopie- Isnt bad, but is almost exactly equal to the model
Wiverii- Inovation+Coolness

All Wiverii sprites should win =D

No offense, but KoA's doesn't really appeal at all to me. The pose is a bit lackluster, the shading looks nothing like the shading of normal pokemon sprites, and it just doesn't "look" pokemonish.

Wiverii's has all of these bases covered and will definitely be getting my vote.
My sentiments exactly.

KoA's is definitely an excellent sprite, it's just Wyverii's is also excellent, and it feels more like a Pokémon.

I'll keep the shiny like this since it can be changed any time via a simple recolour. Again, ideas on variations of gender would be nice since i'm kinda stuck on that.
Maybe have the breastplate be different between the sprites to reflect certain differences in gender?

Wait, don't the D/P pokes have a 16 color limit? If so, then Wyverii has to change his, because he has 19 colors. I am still working on backsprites, and I may revamp my original sprite, seeing as it will have to be at its absolute best to compete with all these great submissions.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Several artists are following a 16 color limit to look more like the actual game sprites, but this is not a requirement for implementation on the battle server. The rules for these sprites are listed in the OP.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Even though it isn't an official requirement, I stick to that anyway. There's something to be said for for challenging yourself with such a requirement. (Plus, the Syclant and Revenankh sprites I made followed this limitation and I feel I would continue following suit)

Anywho, put the finishing touches on the main frontal pose and added a shiny palette. Added a flame and toned down the brightest shade a bit. Added some dithering too because every pokemon sprite has some degree of dithering.

Even though it isn't an official requirement, I stick to that anyway. There's something to be said for for challenging yourself with such a requirement. (Plus, the Syclant and Revenankh sprites I made followed this limitation and I feel I would continue following suit)

Anywho, put the finishing touches on the main frontal pose and added a shiny palette. Added a flame and toned down the brightest shade a bit. Added some dithering too because every pokemon sprite has some degree of dithering.

You should have made the shiny guy tail end and hair either Grey or Sky Blue. Other wise it looks decent, but it looks pudgey so to speak. I know it's supposted to look bulky and takish, but Swampert doesn't even look that thick.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Mkay, I removed the dithering then.

EDIT: Backpose sketch and female sprites coming tomorrow maybe.

I don't right like the head/neck positioning of Wyverii's. Gives it a parrot-esque look, if you know what I mean. That's just my two cents, don't take it to heart. I rarely comment on other's work anyway since I have my own to worry about.

I was meaning to bring it to the 16 colour limit but darkening the lower sections made it far harder to pull off. All front sprites are now 16 colours (excluding white/transparent) and back sprites are 14 colours. I don't think there's any noticeable difference which would be the best outcome. The female sprites had a few artefacts floating around which I had to locate.

(Yeah, it will come out as 17/15 in a colour checker but that counts transparency/background).

It makes sense you'd think that KoA, after all you've done the head in a completely different way. Perhaps using the term parrot-esque isn't what you should have used since yours has the curved "beak" but I get what you mean.

P.S. I'm a she. XD The internet causes gender confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)