CAP 32 - Part 18 - Post Play Lookback 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
CAP 32 So Far

-----

In this stage we will first reflect on the process so far, discussing what we've learned from this process, how this well we have fulfilled its concept, and what impact CAP32 had on the metagame. After that, we will discuss some possible minor tweaks to the product in order to better fulfill our goals. Please follow the Topic Leader's instructions and don't propose any specific changes until they say so.

Changes allowed:
  • Move additions and removals
  • Changes to secondary ability
  • Small stat changes
Changes not allowed
  • Typing changes
  • Changes to primary ability
  • Large stat changes

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hello friends. It is PPL time. I hope you are all excited.

As a reminder, this is the first of two Post Play Lookbacks for CAP32 that we're holding in response to Pokemon Home's untimely release. I plan for this thread to last around 5 days so we can get potential changes implemented immediately for Week 4 of CAPPL and Week 2 of Playtest. We'll see if that timeline ends up being practical or not, but that's what I'm shooting for.

I'm sure everyone is eager to discuss the competitive performance of Hemogoblin, as am I. But I'd first like to take a minute to talk about our concept and CAP32's process as a whole. I'll be moving on from this discussion stage in around 48 hours, so please don't wait to share your thoughts.

In the 15+ years since CAP has existed, CAP32 was our very first stats-focused project. These questions are just intended to spark your thinking; feel free to answer as many or as few of them as you want, whether one-by-one or altogether, whatever is easiest. If there is something else that I didn't ask here but you still want to talk about, feel free to diverge from these questions entirely (as long as it's still relevant to this discussion).

Concept Questions
  • What was it like working with a stats-focused concept compared to other projects that explored the importance of Typing, Ability, or Moves?
  • What went particularly well with this concept, and can these strengths be translated to future concepts?
  • Were there any unexpected pain points as a result of our concept, and how can we better avoid them for future stats-based projects?
  • Do you feel like we fulfilled CAP32's concept successfully? If not, where did we fall short?
Process Questions
  • What were your favorite and least favorite stages of this process, and why?
  • Were there any discussions you found especially interesting and/or would be helpful to look back on in the future?
  • What are some lessons learned from CAP32 as a whole, or lessons from specific stages, that we can take with us into future processes?
  • For longtime CAP posters, were there any harmful patterns or trends––whether in discussion, voting, our general mindsets, or anything else––from previous CAPs that we saw manifest once again in CAP32? How can we avoid repeatedly running into these pitfalls?
  • CAP 32 diverged a little bit from the "traditional" process structure, with some stages being reordered and some being new altogether. Was this restructuring helpful or hurtful to CAP32 overall? What could have been done differently, and why? How would you feel about experimenting even more with process structure in the future?
Once again, you don't need to answer every single question unless you want to. They are only intended to provoke some critical thinking and discussion. We'll move on to meta-focused questions & potential competitive changes after this discussion period is over.

Do you feel like we fulfilled CAP32's concept successfully? If not, where did we fall short?

Overall I think we were succesful here. We made a viable Pokemon with "bang average" stats, and that is what we were striving for. I think our bulk was a bit better than it needed to be, but we're still under 100 in all stats so that's not a huge gripe.

What were your favorite and least favorite stages of this process, and why?

Ability was my favorite simply because I think it had the best outcome, we absolutely made the right choice by opting for Pixilate, particularly Pixilate Extreme Speed. It's strong enough to work, gives us a clear niche, is unique, and isn't as obviously "generic" as something like Magic Guard, Regenerator, or an immunity ability. I don't think I have a least favorite stage, they all had pretty good outcomes.

What are some lessons learned from CAP32 as a whole, or lessons from specific stages, that we can take with us into future processes?

The biggest thing I took away from this concept is that "fatal flaw" concepts can work so long as we make sure we have a defined niche that can't be replicated by other good Pokemon.

For longtime CAP posters, were there any harmful patterns or trends––whether in discussion, voting, our general mindsets, or anything else––from previous CAPs that we saw manifest once again in CAP32? How can we avoid repeatedly running into these pitfalls?

I'm not really a longtime CAP poster, but one thing I did notice is people focusing too hard on our assigned role and acted like anything that remotely diverges from it is a failure of the procress. There's already a PRC thread about this so I'm not too concerned about this happening again, but I think not having role polls would be a step in the right direction.

CAP 32 diverged a little bit from the "traditional" process structure, with some stages being reordered and some being new altogether. Was this restructuring helpful or hurtful to CAP32 overall? What could have been done differently, and why? How would you feel about experimenting even more with process structure in the future?

I don't think a third moves stage in between typing and ability was particularly necessary. The only value I see in it is being able to list moves that abilities might affect, but I don't see the harm in listing abilities in ability discussion that would suggest certain moves. It's been done before, Punk Rock, an ability that specifically affects a certain pool of moves, was slated for CAP 28's secondary before any move discussion had even started. I just think that discussion on our moves would be improved if they didn't happen until after we knew what our ability was. This is how CAPs 29, 30 and 31 were, and it worked just fine. As for whether or not I think we should experiment with process structure in the future, I don't feel like I can answer that because every concept might benefit from a different one. For this concept though, I don't feel like it was the right choice.

Ok so basically

I mentioned this a few times and want to elaborate a bit more on it here: This CAP process suffered heavily from its concept. While "Bang Average" is an intriguing concept, it quickly became clear that the concept fails to guide the process in a meaningful direction on its own. This is because when trying to fulfill "This pokemon will attempt to circumvent average or below average stats to become viable," we end up equating pro-concept to viability, something that every CAP already tries to attain. Consequently, we trivialize the fulfillment of our concept, leaving the direction of our CAP to the aesthetic tastes of the voters.

It's clear to see how this lack of direction ended up harming the process in a lot of areas. For instance, whereas other CAP concepts are able to guide us to a clear role to fulfill, this concept failed to do so, resulting in the necessity of the Role Poll. While largely necessary to give this CAP a direction, the Role Poll introduced its own issues. By determining our status as a pivot without making any tangible impact on the CAP, we created an illusion of finality that shaped the rhetoric of the process around pivoting while simultaneously holding no real obligation to function as such. In doing so, we render much of our discussion as arbitrary and consequently learn little from it. Moving forward, I think we should avoid polling on anything that does not directly impact the final product of a CAP, as otherwise, we have no obligation to follow through on the results of the poll.

The impacts of a lack of direction can be seen in further stages of the process as well. Because no one route is more pro-concept than another, there was little willingness to commit to one specific route, ultimately leading to a bloated set of Defining Moves, a stat spread that attempts to use both ExtremeSpeed and Boomburst, a secondary ability in Intimidate, and an unending list of utility moves. Whether or not having this sort of bloat is a problem is up for debate- Secondary Ability Discussion offered a lot of insight into the design philosophy of CAP- although I remain in the camp that we should try to avoid bloat and aim for a cohesive product, the view of trying several options to learn what's best isn't wrong either. Regardless of which perspective one takes, I do think 2 weeks into CAPPL it's pretty clear that we've learned what Hemogoblin does best and we should make cuts accordingly. I will save my proposal for the time being however.

To conclude, while I do think the concept did hinder us, I still do think that this was still a very strong CAP process at the end of the day. Although we learned little from the concept itself(it turns out that if you want to be viable with bad stats, the other aspects should be good wow), this is definitely the CAP process that I've learned the most about the process itself and should lead to much better processes in the future. Furthermore, I am a fan of how Hemogoblin plays as well; it's obviously very strong and I appreciate how it helps dampen opposing offense and shifts the metagame to be more balance-oriented.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
this will be a series of scattered, likely poorly-conveyed thoughts and considerations from tlt member yours truly

Right to kick off, I find myself partially responsible for the somewhat confused and "overtuned" nature of our moves stages and 1.0 movepool. This was my first time having served, and I struggled to fully understand what exactly our Defining Moves stages were working towards (quziel had to help me figure this out later on in the project). Now, a good chunk of the blame lies in the stages themselves: the CAP Policy Review section has a thread dedicated to "Re-Defining Moves" and in there I share my own thoughts on the matter and what aspects of the stage feels suboptimal for our goals. It's an excellent thread and I implore everyone to make sure they've caught up on the discussion.

As for our final movepool, I definitely approached it the way I did because of the negative stigma some users had about CAP32. I wasn't exactly separate from this group either: our chosen type and stat spread were both in the lower half of my preferences. A handful, however, felt we had dropped the ball with CAP32, a sentiment that I absolutely do not agree with at any point until we've actually used the mon and had time to assess it. So, with the dour outlook a couple vocal users had, and my own reservations on the viability of our stat spread, my outlooked heavily shifted to "We need our movepool to hard carry the process," and it was this philosophy that I carried throughout the Movesets stage.

Hemogoblin's movepool is genuinely crazy: you have a strong as hell HP Draining attack, far above the likes the 75 BP group, a strong as hell Priority move that outcompetes weaker priority moves, and a great boosting move in Bulk Up that lets us hit and tank hits even better. Hemogoblin's biggest strengths right now, outside of being dropped in a pretty hospitable environment with all the offense around, is it's ability to just dodge damage. Bitter Blade lets you regain lost health as you dish out damage, Extreme Speed prevents frail and/or Fairy-weak Pokemon from damaging you at all, and Bulk up reduces the Physical damage you take while increasing the damage of your other two damage-dodging attacks, only making them better at keeping you healthy. Close CAP friends of mine have shared this sentiment of Hemogoblin being very annoying to make progress against because it's moves just deny you the ability to trade positively. This cohesion between these three moves was obvious from the very beginning, and I should have had faith in such a set being sufficient enough to give our CAP a place.

But I didn't. I wanted to ensure that CAP 32 would work, and sought to give it a wide assortment of options that, as things stand now, simply aren't worth using. Special Sets are largely a non-factor in Hemogoblin's metagame presence: you might encounter it on Trick Room, but I wager it has no real effect on Hemo's viability. The reason you account for this mon in your builder, or add it to your team, is because you force stuff out with Extreme Speed, harass switch-ins with Knock, and aim to win late-game with Bulk Up's buffs and the combination of outpacing and outhealing the opponent's means of KOing you. Our movepool being so stacked was deliberate. I wanted CAP 32 to find itself a niche, to dispel the belief that we'd faltered in our direction, and once that niche was found, we could then cut out whatever was superfluous. This is not an approach I am a fan of, but it was an option that I could pursue that only increased our likelihood of a successful release, and that's what I valued most.

Let me step back a bit from the soapbox. Do I feel CAP 32 was a success? My metric from this is based largely on what Death2theWest outlined as his interpretation of Bang Average: a mon whose stats are not up to par with where it wants them to be. In this regard, I feel we've hit quite close to the bullseye. Hemogoblin wants a couple things with its stat spread:
  1. Hit as hard as possible to make Extreme Speed and Bitter Blade efficient at KOing key threats and keeping us healthy.
  2. Don't get outspeed by genuinely slow Pokemon.
  3. Have the bulk to tank hits on targets you can't handle with Extreme Speed.
There is no real satisfactory EV spread to accomplish all this. I find that a normal CAP stat spread generally has very specific stats to solidify our matchups: note how Mollux is one Base Speed below Heatran, and Saharaja one above. You can quickly tell how these Pokemon are meant to interact with Heatran. Hemogoblin doesn't operate like this, and I feel it lies solely in the fact that we just aren't as fast as we want. I find myself constantly wishing I didn't need speed for Equilibra, or Venomicon, or certain Kingambit, but I really want that Speed. Yet, to invest in Speed on a mon that may only click Espeed three times during a match feels wrong when you could allocate that investment into more Attack or better defenses. Now, I find that our stats are actually a little too good in areas. Specifically, we hit quite hard and cheat many otherwise bad matchups into good ones, for our bulk to be as good as it is. But I do find this aspect of our base stats suffering from "508 EVs syndrome," even if a small amount, to point us in favor of a successful concept. I do not like the view of Bang Average being an "aesthetics" things, where because we don't have a base stat over the nice, arbitrary 100 threshold, our statline is below the curve. It's about BSR, the efficiency of our statline, and the many things that interact with it.

This next section is actually just Darek's post above. Please read it and react accordingly if you haven't: it's potentially the most well-written post relating to CAP 32 that currently exists.

Onto specific questions:

What was it like working with a stats-focused concept compared to other projects that explored the importance of Typing, Ability, or Moves?
Not an original opinion as it's from a Discord call I was in with quziel and a slowly uninebriating Brambane, but doing a "stats" concept and then doing them last is kinda silly looking back. Yeah, maybe we didn't have the knowledge or means to approach it from a better angle, but it is weird that our stats, the critical component of our concept, was just a vague idea of "being average" for a majority of the process, instead of something we properly addressed. Yes, doing stat stuff early is a scary prospect, but there are ways we could have made it work, and regardless it would have taught us a whole lot about the inner workings of CAP and its stages. The way Bang Average worked out is us recognizing that our stats aren't going to be up to metagame standards, whatever that results in, and thus pursuing a collection of traits that would help us function in spite of lower stats. Thus, a strong offensive type, a great Ability, and a complimentary movepool. How different would things have turned out if we had actual stats, or stat limits to work with from the beginning?

I still feel we have much to explore with stats in CAP. Stat spreads across the board are excellent: even those that have languished in poor performance like Malaconda, Voodoom, and Kerfluffle, don't exactly have bad stats. We enjoy making CAPs with bulk that lets them win the matchups they are supposed to, hit the damage thresholds they need, and fall within a specific Speed tier. We also never want to go overboard with stats, so you end up with spread that are often well-rounded, often with a dump attacking stat and low Speed if it doesn't care about Speed. Hemogoblin hasn't really diverged from this pattern, and it's a bit sad IMO. I was hoping for a more extreme and distinct spread; instead, we got a slightly smaller stat ball compared to our usual stat ball. I'm still eagerly awaiting the day we make something truly unique among the CAPs: I desire a mon with 150+ in a stat, or a spread that resembles Gen 1 Ground/Rock types. I'm bored with these "generalist spreads," give me the unapologetic Physical bias of Great Tusk, or the complete disregard for offenses on Toxapex, or the single-minded goal of Breloom to hit like a truck and do nothing else.

For longtime CAP posters, were there any harmful patterns or trends––whether in discussion, voting, our general mindsets, or anything else––from previous CAPs that we saw manifest once again in CAP32? How can we avoid repeatedly running into these pitfalls?
I guess I qualify as "long-term?" I'll list two.
  1. Roles. I do not like how Roles are implemented. Please read this thread to learn more about issues I have with Roles.
  2. I do not like the sway "flavor" has on our competitive design. When I say "flavor' I mean anything that isn't pertinent to how our CAP will perform in the metagame. For CAP 32 specifically, I feel Fire/Fairy was as popular as it was because it was a novel typing people felt was "overdue." Our typing should be chosen because it's been identified as the best fit to fulfill our typing. CAP has historically done this "novel typing thing," with about half our CAPs having a type that was unused during the time of its creation. We can't keep avoiding a repeat typing or exploring an unused one forever. I feel like this is something the Typing Leader can somewhat address with discernment or perhaps additional powers should we desire, but largely requires a paradigm shift among voters to focus on "concept relevancy" versus "cool factor."
CAP 32 diverged a little bit from the "traditional" process structure, with some stages being reordered and some being new altogether. Was this restructuring helpful or hurtful to CAP32 overall? What could have been done differently, and why? How would you feel about experimenting even more with process structure in the future?
I am a believer in the CAP Process not being a strict schedule, but rather a selection of steps we can use however we wish to complete the task at hand. I felt that our approach to Defining Moves, in spite of the issues that arose, was an excellent idea. We tend to not like polljumping in CAP, but it's very hard to not go into a stage without some sense of what we're going to do, or what someone wants to do, lurking in the background. The ability to have an idea of what moves we expect to use, or will use, helped make later stages more informed. I think there's a lot we can do with experimenting on the CAP process and being open to new ideas on making a cohesive product. I'd rather not get into all of it right now, as many ideas are bound to be highly controversial, but we only stand to gain from learning what does and doesn't work during a CAP Process, and with Gen 9 being a bit messy, I feel now is a great time to see just what we can do.

Overall, I am very happy with how CAP 32 turned out. There was a lot going against us, from the variety of concept interpretations among users, to the looming presence of the Home update, and the uncertainties of how Terastallization impacts CAP on a fundamental level. There's a fair bit of fat we can trim off Hemogoblin, but in terms of succeeding with a less-than-satisfactory stat spread and operating upon a unique niche, we've done a pretty damn good job. CAP has this remarkable ability to take seemingly wrong turns yet arrive somewhere you're happy with at the end of it all, and CAP 32 is no exception in my book. Anyway can our next CAP be a Ground/Water with Aggron stats but swapped offenses, Oblivious/Sticky Hold as Abilities, and access to Nidoking's entire Gen 8 movepool.

I would like to thank Peshay Studio Set (1996) and The Italo NONSTOP megamix for helping me make this post.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
What was it like working with a stats-focused concept compared to other projects that explored the importance of Typing, Ability, or Moves?
I think stats-focused concepts are fine, although they inherently probably don't have as much value in learning anything about the game. People have known about the strengths and weaknesses of Pokemon like Skarmory and Kingdra for literally two decades now. Every concept should either be informative about game design, the CAP metagame, or the CAP Process. This one did not tread new ground in the former two; the ladder however ended up becoming very interesting. I would attribute that to their being a lot of hand-wringing and second-guessing with CAP32, and also just a general lack of things to talk about related to the concept itself. I think Darek worded it best in their post.

What went particularly well with this concept, and can these strengths be translated to future concepts?
Nothing directly concept-related I think went exceptionally well. Bang Average was not particularly informative about game design. The metagame actually doesn't really "care" about a Pokemon's base stats as a collective whole. The one takeaway is that is probably useful for future projects is hopefully we realize we can hold back on stats more if we have an absurdly strong move and ability synergy.

Were there any unexpected pain points as a result of our concept, and how can we better avoid them for future stats-based projects?
The only pain the Hemogoblin had related to the concept itself was process order. We should have done stats earlier in the concept in hindsight, probably right after defining moves to figure or STABs and definitely before primary ability. Unless the concept itself demands focus on a specific move or typing (think Saharaja concept) then ability often becomes the immediate focal point of the project. Its not because its the best or most powerful stage; its because it comes before stats. Considering this was a stats-based project, we didn't really let them become the core of the project at all. We ended up just working on spreads to slot into our chasis, as we always do. For a future stats concept, I would like to see the stage explored or developed in a more unique and impactful way. As it stands, the only really "difference" was the more restrictive BSR limits that usual, which undershoots what this concept could have achieved with its process.

Do you feel like we fulfilled CAP32's concept successfully? If not, where did we fall short?
Hemogoblin's stats are pretty average or poor, offset by its amazing offensive synergy between typing, movepool, and Pixilate. Concept was fulfilled successfully, and honestly not too far off balance-wise from where most CAPs should be on release.

What were your favorite and least favorite stages of this process, and why?
Concept Assessment 2 was the worst stage. It felt like it dragged on forever and the end result probably influenced the rest of the stages until the very end in an unhealthy way. Our role was too vague, and the parts that were clear didn't make sense for our typing. There has been a PRC made about this, so I do not feel required to elaborate more on this point.

I enjoyed this philosophical discussion in Secondary Ability, even if that stage could never take off because CAP32 was so inherently defined as the Pixilate CAP by the larger community. I don't think realistically anyone would have been open to a strong parallel direction for the project. The discussion on the purpose of Secondary Ability should improve future projects and the stage as a whole, so I am quite pleased.

Defining moves was probably my favorite stage(s) overall. Fire is one of those typings that makes Defining Moves an absolute treat due to the variety of unique STAB options. Pixilate added even more extra flair. I would also say this was the stage that turned the project. I was pretty skeptical of Hemogoblin's viability until the final stages of moves, and that's where all the pieces fell together. It is also the stage where our community finally shed the yolk of Offensive Pivot and added in Bulk Up + Bitter Blade, making the Pokemon we know today. Hemogoblin has the most satisfying three move combination of Bulk Up+Bitter Blade+ESpeed of any CAP to recent memory.

Were there any discussions you found especially interesting and/or would be helpful to look back on in the future?
We have some PRC threads that emerged during or shortly after the main process which are worth implementing. The assumed moves, works to secondary ability stage, and role discussion stuff will be better in the future due to CAP32. I don't think anything super insightful or groundbreaking popped up in the threads, except maybe the realization that Fairy/Fire is a kinda bad typing during concept assessment. These novel typings are really effective at appearing cool and good during the movepool stage and then the problems bubble up later in the process. Hemogoblin ended up with an ability and move combination to heavily compensate for the typings weaknesses though, so I can't be that salty.

What are some lessons learned from CAP32 as a whole, or lessons from specific stages, that we can take with us into future processes?
I mentioned these above, and the PRC discussions have started so we are on the right track.

Hemogoblin has a LOT of second-guessing. Like more than any process I have ever been part of. This is from a lot of different factors. The lack of clear direction and the concept being focused on one of the later stages added a lot of important ambiguity to the process. We had a lot of discussion where we just had to say "this Pokemo has average stats, so..." without knowing REALLY what that meant or was going to look like. This is part of why we should have done stats earlier. As a general rule, the earlier you can get the focus on the concept done, almost certainly the better. Cut the ambiguity away so you can establish your direction from where the concept wants it to be.

Hemogoblin also had a very awkward typing win, where the strengths of the typing were clear but its weaknesses were big flashing signs at the time. Toxapex was seeing a resurgence, Tera Fire was a go-to Tera for an increasing number of Pokemon, and we kind of assumed that it was better defensively than it actually is during the typing stage. I remember the Fire/Fairy defensive utility popping up a lot in discussion when really it was just a good Jumbao and potentially Volcarona switch-in. Nothing puts doubt on a project than bad confidence in typing. Nothing even comes close. We chugged along though and I think through ability and movepool we really made the typing shine. Pixilate really helped the project.

Honestly, the amount of hate the winning spread got was bad. And it was an unproductive hate. It's one thing to say "the stats might need some slight changes after release" and another thing to say that the Pokemon is going to suck and the stats are terrible. It shows a lack of confidence in the stats leader, who slated the spread, and generally just discourages the community. Everyone at some point has worked on a work/school project where one or two people just complained because their vision or idea didn't work or win. It accomplishes nothing except annoying teammates, ruining morale, and making them appear immature and uncompromising. Don't bring others down with you if you aren't having fun with CAP, just step away.

I wasn't super confident in Hemogoblin, especially in its typing and ESPECIALLY in the role, and I expressed my worries. Many times. But the stuff in the Discord chat after stats was another level of malcontent. I hope we never replicate it again, especially since this project 100% proves that all of that doomsaying amounts to literally nothing. Hemogoblin is good, its really good, and stats are part of it. Hopefully we never have something like this happen again and we can push through our doubts better.

I think the overall new stages were fine, although secondary ability has a lot of inherent flaws already being addressed. As I mentioned earlier, moving stats to earlier in the process when the concept is focused on them is probably a better execution. The final product of Hemogoblin is good, but I'm more interested in the process than the product.

I'm not sure to what extent doomsaying is a part of every process, but I just wanna say that as the person who submitted the winning stat spread, winning felt kinda awful because people were quickly saying this was their last choice on the slate, that my spread completely lacked direction, and that we were basically unviable. It just felt really shitty. I'm not saying people's fears were entirely unwarranted (one person's "many options" are another person's lack of direction I guess) but it felt like it went overboard, and we still had so much going for us at that point. I do think the concept lacked some specificity, as others have discussed, which probably led to differences of vision here. I will also admit that I had a million incorrect notions: I thought we could fill a fat pivot role, I thought utility moves likes Spikes would find their way onto some sets, and I thought Boomburst would be more viable. I actually even thought special sets (with pocket Extreme Speed) would be predominant, although that was before Bulk Up was in the picture. I was wrong about all of that and it's been a learning process for me. But nevertheless it's just kind of wild to see the difference between people's doubting at that point and the cohesive and viable end result we got. Bulk Up obviously helped, but adding a bit more juice in moves was always in the cards, especially with the concept we chose. So yeah, people absolutely have the right to express doubts and dissatisfaction, but I guess I'm just trying to communicate how demotivating and jarring it can feel as a contributor when CAP's supposed to be a fun and collaborative process. I'd love it if people could keep a more open mind. Despite the above, this was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding processes I've taken part in. I loved the discussions we had on the forums and Discord, and the end result is so cool all around.

Yeah, we went hard everywhere but stats as we should have, and it paid off. People have complained occasionally that our bulk is above average; personally, I feel that if our bulk is above average in a vacuum and our offensive stats are well below average in a vacuum, that equates to an average end product. Others may feel differently, and the concept is vague enough that it's hard to say definitively that one view is correct.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
So yeah, people absolutely have the right to express doubts and dissatisfaction, but I guess I'm just trying to communicate how demotivating and jarring it can feel as a contributor when CAP's supposed to be a fun and collaborative process. I'd love it if people could keep a more open mind. Despite the above, this was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding processes I've taken part in. I loved the discussions we had on the forums and Discord, and the end result is so cool all around.
I would like to chime in on this point from the perspective of a contributor. I feel like the "doomsaying" was justified. This project lacked concrete direction out the gate and a role discussion was used to fill that void. Even if the intention was to be non-committal to that role, it very much felt like the decisions being made beyond that point had no regard for that initial interest. Typing never felt like it contributed to that goal. It even felt like the primary motivation for selecting it was novelty rather than competitive merit or the goals we had just established. Ability contributed nothing to that initial design point either. I would say only 2 abilities on that final slate really worked if we still wanted to be a pivot. By the time we got to stats, there were very few directions that could salvage the role. Regardless of actual intent, the 3 spreads that made it to poll 2 really gave up on role at that point. Then, when we ended up with our current stat spread, I think it was absolutely fair to question what the spread could reasonably do. When you have typing, ability, and stats completed, we should have a solid idea where that mon is headed. We didn't. We had a very offensive typing and ability and paired it with a stat spread that really didn't complement those offensive qualities. Defining moves was excessive because of this mismatch. Bulk Up was a saving grace for Hemogoblin in my eyes because it helped establish some form of cohesion between these design elements. It is nice to see that Hemogoblin is succeeding, but I think it really waters down the problems this project in particular had and opens the door for us to repeat these mistakes in the future.

Last edited:

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
We'll see if that timeline ends up being practical or not
It's becoming clearer to me that the window for PS implementation will be too tight, so we're now shooting for changes to be live on July 2nd.

I'm extending the current discussion another 24hrs as a result. I think it's only fitting that I share my thoughts on these questions too, so this also gives me time to write a proper post.

As an aside, I'd like to thank to everyone who's taken the time to share their thoughts. It's a fun and interesting discussion for me to read through, but this kind of dialogue is also huge for the integrity and improvement of the CAP project as a whole, so I'm genuinely appreciative of the critical reflection and honesty that's been on display so far. Maybe I'm wrong though and we're all just shouting into the void, who knows.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Then, when we ended up with our current stat spread, I think it was absolutely fair to question what the spread could reasonably do. When you have typing, ability, and stats completed, we should have a solid idea where that mon is headed. We didn't.
I want to respond to this statement in particular; I generally agree with the rest of the post.

At this point in the process, a lot of people were dropping the idea of this being a pivot. None of the final three spreads were going to realistically be pivots in the traditional sense. The winning spread did have two immediate directions which were obvious. The first one was a special wallbreaker with mild role compression vs some offense. At the time, balance wasn't really common but the Pokemon was strong enough to break balance that did exist in pre-home. And the second and more important one was set-up. Since the spread had substantially lower Attack than the other two finalists, the ideal of set-up seemed a lot more reasonable.

Hemogoblin got the tools for both; SV CAP was and still is a very dynamic metagame with developing metagame trends. It had the tools for a slower metagame and a faster one, so in a lot of ways I think the spreads flaw of being unfocused made it more adaptable. Hemogoblin had room to try the different routes for success, and that is in line with the project goal of exploring the CAP metagame. It happens that the return of some Pokemon in post-home effectively kills the special sets, rendering them fishy at best and pointless at worst, and makes the physical sets better into the metagame.

In short, I wouldn't make a broad stroke to say we didn't know where it was headed. I think this was a case of we didn't know where the meta was headed, and therefore what would work. In that uncertainty, the wide approach to Hemogoblin's options was fine. And ultimately people wanted to click the funny big Boomburst button, which is likely why the spread won in the first place.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hemogoblin and Miasmaw are two recent projects where a typing won a stage in part because it was a novel typing that is "cool/interesting/w.e.". In the aftermath of these stages, both of these concepts became quite difficult. In a way, its very easy to say that any typing will be able to fulfill the concept, because of how early the stage is in the project, and as such, selecting a typing based on how interesting, or how different it is, wins over selecting the typing that will let us fulfill concept most easily. This is doubly true for a concept that was as broad as ours; clearly low BST mons can fill any role, so a typing that appeared to have a lot of freedom would be good. After all, Fairy is a top tier offensive and defensive typing, and Fire is a top tier offensive and defensive typing. However, in the context of the pairing, and their role in the meta it sorta falls apart. Now, we absolutely can account for basically any fault in typing due to having 3 stages after it, but a typing that has very large strengths in at least one area will make our lives easier.

I feel a bit of this is due to how stages are CAP are set up, with typings being advocated by a single person, and the stage being generally far more focused around hyping up typings to get them on slate, and without a like, really strong discussion / tear down period on what selecting a given typing actually means. Frankly I'm almost wondering if doing discussion after poll 1 would make more sense. Its very hard to do a more critical typing discussion when we have a very broad slate, and far easier if we're picking between 3 options.

On a related, but separate note, I think CAP is too focused on versatility. Its something that's posed as a universal upside, and I think the general focus on versatility as something that will always benefit us leads us to having relatively unfocused following stages. Ability, Typing, Stats are stages where we almost always "want" a versatile outcome, a mon that can fit into many roles, but often by going for a versatile outcome, we end up with a mon that tries to do a ton, and only sorta succeeds at it. If a typing has 80 potential routes, and we end up choosing 2 routes to sit in, is it really better than a typing that has 10 potential routes, with us choosing 2 routes to sit in?

This is something that's primarily the result of voting. Again to bring up a classic experiment, if you have SweeperJim, who loves Weavile, ThickManJed, who loves himself some Toxapex, and Versatile Bill, who thinks Lando is god's gift to man, a mon that is sorta bulky, sorta strong, and sorta fast will probably get the most votes. This is also true of typing, and is an unavoidable consequence of running a large voting lead project; most voters have very different views of what the end result should look like, and barring influential folks pushing their view very strongly, or constraining slates harder, this is sorta unavoidable.

To sorta give a few recommendations: We should be ok with choosing less versatile, less flexible typings, with more weaknesses, and also more pointed strengths, and stat spreads, and part of that means that folks will need to change how they rank stuff. We should likely either have smaller Typing slates, or change when we have typing discussion, and Stats likely needs to have tighter overall limits. Ice/Dark is likely a better typing for a CAP than Ground/Fairy because Ice/Dark very, very clearly gives a project direction, and has large weaknesses and large strengths. Reducing slate size in every stage may also be helpful for us, as its very difficult to hold a proper discussion of an 8 option slate.

Last edited:
  • What was it like working with a stats-focused concept compared to other projects that explored the importance of Typing, Ability, or Moves?
  • What went particularly well with this concept, and can these strengths be translated to future concepts?
  • Were there any unexpected pain points as a result of our concept, and how can we better avoid them for future stats-based projects?
  • Do you feel like we fulfilled CAP32's concept successfully? If not, where did we fall short?
Honestly we hardly felt the impact of this being a stats driven concept. The decision to place the entirety of stats at the usual tail end of large competitive decisions, meant ww were always going to work with a really unfocused project, based on the vague idea of not having strong stats. The fact, that the community Could hardly agree on what bang average stats actually are, even after concept assessment concluded, lead to a project, that was pulled apart into various not reconcileable directions from the start and ironically (for a stats focused process) ability choice was what managed to pull all that back together somewhat. Even then we still had to uturn on the general direction we were trying to move in during movesets as the realization hit that this Mon needed a move, that we kinda wanted to avoid for most of the project, all because the routes we took in concept assessment 2, typing and stats were hardly synergistic with each other and the emerging metagame environment.
I agree with several other posters here, that stats should have been slotted earlier in the process, maybe not in its entirety but certainly parts of it to quickly establish a meaningful direction we want to go in, rather than banking on vague ideas like role to guide us through this project.

Ability 2 was a mess imo, but that was hardly specific to this project and is being discussed in another thread

I think the idea of a modular and adaptable CAP process was implemeted well overall though.
While stats could have been placed differently and Defining moves has to be „defined“better, I believe, that the reordering and overall structure of the stages helped us move forward with more informed (even though subjectIvey seen not always better) decisions.

Regardless of all these hiccups it is clear that Hemo fulfilled the concept competitively and aestheticall and atm only is a bit bloated and someti a bit frustrating to play against, but otherwise a really nice to use and build with Mon with a positive effect on the meta.
  • What were your favorite and least favorite stages of this process, and why?
  • Were there any discussions you found especially interesting and/or would be helpful to look back on in the future?
  • What are some lessons learned from CAP32 as a whole, or lessons from specific stages, that we can take with us into future processes?
  • For longtime CAP posters, were there any harmful patterns or trends––whether in discussion, voting, our general mindsets, or anything else––from previous CAPs that we saw manifest once again in CAP32? How can we avoid repeatedly running into these pitfalls?
  • CAP 32 diverged a little bit from the "traditional" process structure, with some stages being reordered and some being new altogether. Was this restructuring helpful or hurtful to CAP32 overall? What could have been done differently, and why? How would you feel about experimenting even more with process structure in the future?
The most insightful discussion was probably ability 2 though. Imo we should take the lesson from this discussion and apply it for future caps. We should accept, that abilities that aren’t capable of actually being used as primary are hardly ever viable as secondary, so we should either have the guts to go with a possi major change of direction or simply not engage in a secondary ability discussion. Even moreso we should always ask ourselves if a concept actually demands a secondary ability rather than it just Being a „further“ exploration of the concept, bc in most cases coming to the realization that NCA is the way to go is also an exploration of the concept.

I strongly believe, that CAP should never stop at a final process structure and be Satisfied. Every concept demands different things. New ways of handling stages, new eyes and voices to run things etc. afford new perspectives both on the current process and old projects. Experimenting with stage structure and order, voting, implementation, theoreticals etc might make one project harder to handle but will only improve the process overall by informing it with failures and successes.

I agree with everyone's sentiment that while successful as a "bang average" pokemon, the entire process lacked focus.

The winning stat spread arguably being flavor first gave us very little direction. Our assigned role was pivot, yet we ended up with Clefable stats + an attack stat + a smeargle-esque movepool.

I wouldn't say that Hemogoblin is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none as its Bulk Up set is clearly its best, but we designed the mon to have the ability to not only be a physical set-up sweeper, but a special pivot, a special booster, and an intimidate wall. I honestly believe that all of these other sets could be removed and we wouldn't notice a difference.

I'm being a hypocrite as I also submitted a mixed stat spread, but I believe there should have been more safeguards during the stats stage to prevent us from becoming mew lite.

The movepool stage can't be completely faulted due to the lack of direction offered by stats, but there should have been some restrictions to prevent us from throwing every viable Normal and Fire-type move in the game onto Hemogoblin and just hoping some of them stick.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Yo, I wrote a book

I don’t know where else to put this, so I’ll kick this post off with an observation/advice about being on the TLT since I’ve done it a few times now. This isn’t a jab at the current SLs or anything they did wrong, just a topic that’s been on my mind for a while, but I think TL/SLs should feel safe making bolder decisions when it comes to what they slate. Oftentimes––and this is something I’ve experienced myself––there’s pressure to make a slate that accurately represents community opinion and the full spectrum of submissions, even at the expense of the “best” competitive options. It’s nice when everyone can find an option that they like on a given slate, but this also isn’t a requirement of the process; diversity and representation should not be the enemy of good. If you think one of the most popular options is bad, don’t be afraid to leave it off. If you think there’s a dearth of good options altogether, maybe you make a small slate instead of packing it just to hit an imaginary quota. If you think one option is really good but it hasn’t had any discussion or support, you can still confidently include it. SLs should be trusted to use their discretion and make executive decisions, otherwise they wouldn’t have been voted to the TLT to begin with. (Obviously still consult with the rest of the TLT if you’re planning on something controversial––effective communication is crucial!)

Alright, now I’ll talk about how I think this process went.

Starting with Typing, I agree with what others have already expressed about this stage: a desire for novelty and flavor to have less sway in polls. I also agree with quziel’s analysis; having a post-Poll 1 discussion is honestly a great idea, and reframing the way that all of us approach the slate may serve us well, too––versatility and novelty often motivate decisions here far more than they should. Of course, Fairy/Fire ended up being an incredible choice for the meta we’re now in, but ironically, I think it was middling at best for pre-Home. Both Fire and Fairy are great on their own, but like quziel said, in tandem they offered relatively little upside for the metagame we chose them in. That said, I don’t really think a single issue of this process can be traced back to our typing selection. We could’ve chosen the worst typing in the game and we’d still have three whole stages to compensate fully for it.

I’ve got a lot to say about role discussion, so I’ll try to keep things relatively concise. It’s obvious that something bad happened here. Darek’s post does a good job at explaining how this stage backfired on us, but Wulf’s post provides an equally important context: that none of the decisions we made after first deciding our role were actually aligned with functioning as a pivot. It’s weird territory, because, yes, our role is non-binding, but on the flipside––if it’s something we don’t want to commit to, then why did we choose it in the first place? We either chose the ideal role and failed spectacularly to execute it, or we chose a poor direction and ended up somewhere even better (the latter is my guess). Whether in foresight or execution, somewhere along the way, we took a wrong turn.

I am a big advocate for intentional design in CAP. While letting things emerge on their own can absolutely be interesting and valuable, the “let’s see what happens” mentality never resonated with me. This was something I stressed a lot during CA, too––that we should be designing CAP32 with purposeful and overt synergy between each and every stage. But I don’t think we designed this CAP intentionally at all. Our typing and role together constituted a fine foundation for the rest of the process, but we chose an ability that made little sense with our planned direction; we chose stats that were at odds with the results of previous stages; and in moves, we were left with the tall task of tying everything together, ultimately resorting to an option (setup) that we actively avoided in Defining Moves, because… we were still focused on trying to be a pivot. I think most of this can be traced back to the concept lacking a clear direction––for much of the process, it just felt like we didn’t know where exactly to go––but the irony is that our role, in attempt to compensate for our aimlessness, only served as a distraction from whatever emergent design the community decided to pursue instead.

Despite this, I’m not against role discussions in the future if they’re handled differently. In specific, I think that polling our role again is an exceptionally poor idea; by making our direction as a pivot “official,” it over-legitimized our role selection and made it difficult to ever pull away from. In the future, we can say something like: “pivoting moves work well for us, an offensive > defensive route is best, and a glass cannon build should be avoided,” and these are conclusions that still inform the following stages. But by taking things to the polls, we entered this awful tug of war between “it’s official and we committed, but it’s also technically non-committal, but we should still commit because it’s the best route, but these other options have merit too, but…”, which poisoned the discussion of every stage far more than it ever provided us guidance.

That being said, I don’t think this process was all bad––or anything close––and I hope that others feel the same. Just because we didn’t do a great job at intentionally mapping things out doesn’t mean we didn’t make effective decisions, either; in fact, one particularly successful stage in my eyes was Movesets, where we made an utterly phenomenal recovery from the uncertainty, fears of unviability, and general chaos that followed Stats. Bulk Up is ideally something that we would’ve caught in Defining Moves, but it almost single-handedly saved Hemogoblin from mediocrity and somehow managed to unite three largely disjointed stages into one hell of a coherent Pokemon. The stat spread is ridiculously synergistic with setup (albeit not entirely on purpose), and the amount of strength packed into Pixilate ESpeed is something I think all of us underestimated before release. We were dealt an average hand but turned it around exceptionally well, and that’s no small feat.

Granted, Movesets had other problems that some people in this thread have been right to point out––namely, that our movepool ended up bloated and littered with powerful, seemingly random competitive options, which is a fair observation. I’d like to build off of shnowshner’s post, though, and provide some context for this. I think the two most notable factors here were Home’s impending release, and the amount of hand wringing throughout all of CAP32, especially so after Stats. Packing Hemogoblin’s initial movepool was not all unintentional; we didn’t know how Home would shake things up, so this approach was a safety measure of sorts. And it was also the obvious and natural consequence of the doomsaying that had been plaguing CAP32 up to that point. There are some other factors at play here, too, like the winning stat spread attempting to function on both sides of the attacking spectrum and needing double the amount of options as a result, as well as some structural issues that I have with the stage as a whole. I wish that Hemogoblin’s 1.0 movepool ended up more focused, but considering the circumstances, I don’t think the outcome of this stage is that unreasonable.

I feel like this process, more than any that I’ve been around for, also shows the consequences and futility of doomposting. While I’ve expressed my distaste in this post for how some of the stages turned out, there’s a basic difference between being realistic about our strengths and shortcomings at a given point versus saying “this (stat spread/typing/etc) is atrocious, we’re going to be unviable, the project is over” in what’s usually only slightly more generous terms. I welcome people to criticize the results of a poll, should they feel the need; this kind of honesty is crucial to effectively addressing a CAP’s flaws. But also know that there’s almost no poll result that we can’t make work. What use is there in drawn-out complaints, fatalistic whining, and throwing blame after a poll ends? After all, it’s not like the result is going to change. This kind of behavior is a waste of energy and unproductive at best, and at worst, actively detrimental to the process. It manifests material and significant consequences both upon the final product and upon the individuals who are perceived to be directly or indirectly “at fault.” Most of all, it’s just not fun to deal with. Again, honest and constructive criticism is encouraged, but our time is much better spent searching for creative solutions than doomsaying about our inevitable failure.

A couple more things before I wrap up. First one being, we’ve held a testing period during Stats voting for the last few processes now, and I think it’s largely pointless. While testing each spread out lets us get information on how each spread performs, this information is ultimately imperfect, imbalanced, and is just as misleading as it is helpful. No one really knows how to build with, against, or properly use the new CAP at this point (much less all ~8 permutations of it), so results in tests are skewed by user error. High-power unconfirmed moves are experimented with, so we draw conclusions based on things that we might not ever get. Replays often have difficulty getting saved, so we just have to take the people who run test games at their word. We only have 24 hours for each poll, and presumably it takes more than just a couple games to know anything about a single spread, so there’s only time for people to test a portion of the slated options. I think testing can be helpful to draw broad conclusions––I personally tried out a few MacGyvered CAP32 builds during Stats discussion, and decided that physical ESpeed spreads were my favorite––but using these games to influence how we rank each individual submission during voting is a fool’s errand, so I’d rather we don’t run these tests until Movesets in the future.

The last thing I want to mention is that I disagree with the notion that Stats should have come earlier in the project. I think it’s a laughably bad idea that Stats could go before Typing and Defining Moves, so when we’re talking about the impact of the most “defining” aspect of this process being ill-defined until late, we’re only really talking about its effect on Ability. We concluded early that strong synergy between Ability and Typing, Stats, and especially Movepool, would be essential to overcoming our constraint on stats, and I think our final product proved this conclusion correct. Letting Typing and Ability be in uninterrupted conversation with each other was crucial. Stats, by nature, need to take shape around something; I think we made the right call by first building up a strong and coherent foundation and then tailoring our statline to fit it. Anecdotally, I don’t feel like the ambiguity of “average stats” had much of a negative effect on the Ability stage’s discussion, either––the stage it had the most impact on was, well, the Stats stage itself.

---

Overall I’m really proud of this project, despite there clearly being some bumps. We got a final product that’s viable, almost ideal balance-wise, extremely on-target for its concept, and we didn’t let Home upend everything, so yeah I’d say it’s a job well done. If the discussion in this thread so far is any indication, I think there’s a lot that can be learned from this process, too, which is always a nice thing to see. Anyway, I’ll be back to TL the first project of Gen 10 where we make Hemogoblin again but 25% cooler, so I hope you’ll all support me when the time comes.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Alright, with that out of the way, let's talk competitive.
  • How has Hemogoblin been performing so far in the CAP metagame? Is it too strong, too weak, or just right? Is it healthy or unhealthy for the metagame at large?
  • Does Hemogoblin need competitive-centered changes? If so, what would you like to see changed?
For the second question I'll make my personal stance clear. I strongly believe Hemogoblin needs competitive changes, even if they are small in nature, so I'm more interested to hear about what you all think needs to be changed. Breaking down Hemogoblin into the following framework may also help us to think about this.
  • Defining strengths (that which is essential to our function, and cannot be removed)
  • Superfluous strengths (that which is nonessential to function, and can be safely removed)
  • Defining weaknesses (necessary restraints that impacts gameplay significantly; overcoming these weaknesses poses large risk)
  • Peripheral weaknesses (that which does not impact play significantly; improvement here is more akin to QOL changes)
The above is just meant to be a tool for personal reflection, but if it's not helpful then feel free to think about things in a different way. I'm giving this section 24 hours, before a final 48ish hour submission period for voting packages. Get to it!

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Does Hemogoblin need competitive-centered changes? If so, what would you like to see changed?
Still haven't really gotten into the swing of CAP again so I'm not as learned as I'd prefer to be about Hemo's performance, but nonethless here's a few tired 4am tidbits.

Superfluous strengths (that which is nonessential to function, and can be safely removed)
The most obvious avenue here is the trimming of Hemogoblins special side (both moves and stats) as they are not particularly viable, and provide a few bits of bad optics on the moves sides. Though they are not terribly good they produce a level of variance that most people would rather not have to deal with (I'm personally neutral on that specific thing but w/e). A lot of people I've talked with about want to utterly gut Hemo's special movepool and/or it's SpA, which I don't agree with. Like electric/psychic coverage is harmless imo and doesn't move the needle any which way in comparison to the likes of BB or Fiery Dance. People can get a bit too hasty with trimming off all but the essentials imo, but some movepool bloat is a part of making any authentic feeling mon.

Defining weaknesses (necessary restraints that impacts gameplay significantly; overcoming these weaknesses poses large risk)
Without question the biggest limiting factor for Hemo right now is it's Speed tier. Currently it suffers from EV strain with how much it needs to invest into it's speed to outpace even slower threats, as otherwise being forced to rely entirely on Espeed can be frustrating at times. It's a tricky thing to find the right balance for however, you need to find a good middle ground that gives Hemo enough freedom to run the EVs it needs to take hits without circumventing this crucial limiting factor. Don't feel terribly qualified to throw out specific benchmarks rn but I think if any major issue is to be addressed, it ought to be adjusting Speed to a point that Hemo's EV strain problem is somewhat lessened.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
My opinion and the opinion of a lot of the tour players I speak to regularly at the moment range from Hemogoblin either being balanced and in need of more time for the metagame to adjust (which is more of where I stand) to ridiculously overtuned. I don't think anyone realistically thinks the Pokemon is underpowered in the slightest. I think its mostly healthy although it is another one of those Pokemon that expands the gap between CAP and OU. This isn't a criticism, just an obervation. You can't load a lot of standard OU offense and expect to win consistently vs Hemogoblin. It disables the archetype too efficiently.

Defining weaknesses are being generally slow outside of ExtremeSpeed and having a lot of common weaknesses at the moment. Hemogoblin is a strong Tera user partially because Tera Fairy does a lotta damage, but also getting rid of the Water, Poison, and/or Ground weaknesses helps it swing turns to boost or heal back with Bitter Blade. Due to how it functions as sweeper, its efficient at mitigating damage through drain healing and speed control which adds to its already good natural bulk and boosted defenses. It having these big type weaknesses is important for its balance while rounding out its offensive profile with the STAB Bitter Blade. In short, a lot of the problems I had with the typing end up keeping the Pokemon in check, so I guess I need to eat my sour grapes.

I think Hemogoblin's EV strain is at worst overblown and at best healthy for the overall design. The Pokemon can't have it all with its EV spread, nor does it really need to. Hemogoblin is still strong with the awkward spreads it needs to run, and I don't see a reason to give a Pokemon this strong a QOL change that is really a direct buff to either its bulk or power. Any change to stats that makes its spreads more efficient isn't really worth pursuing anyways UNLESS we did a larger nerf and pursued the Speed increase to move the needle. This feels like something being suggested because for a large portion of the post-stats process people (myself included) said it could probably use a Speed increase. Its fine, the Pokemon is good.

The defining strength of Hemogoblin is being a pretty efficient set-up sweeper. It has speed control and healing locked into its STABs, giving it a 4th slot that could be flexible but Knock Off is so good you just run that. I think the most superfluous strength it has is its raw Special Defense, but that is just a feeling really from it eating a lot of Sludge Bombs. I wouldn't even have a suggestion of how much Special Defense it should have yet, mostly because it seems like this Pokemon always comes back from being at like 25% HP. Knock is also just so good at helping Hemogoblin breaks its own checks and giving it something to do early game, but it also seems pretty integral to its design.

Hemogoblin also has a lot of options that are completely irrelevant to its overall success. Spikes and Intimidate sets are a waste of its potential, I forgot this even gets Taunt, and special sets are awful into the current metagame (I think after testing that even Trick Room, the one team that could run specs, gets more out of Double-Edge since it has better rolls against Glowking, and you get a stronger Explosion). The core movepool would be Bulk Up, Extreme Speed, Bitter Blade, Knock Off, Tera Blast, Explosion, and maaaybe Morning Sun, Fire Lash, and Double-Edge. Basically everything else is fluff and I don't really care if it stays or goes.

Last edited:
How has Hemogoblin been performing so far in the CAP metagame? Is it too strong, too weak, or just right? Is it healthy or unhealthy for the metagame at large?

In my experience, Hemogoblin has been performing really damn well. I've seen a bunch of different sets on the ladder, but by far the best one is definitely Bulk Up. Bulk Up is just an incredibly solid set all around - gets easy setup on shit like Bao, Val, and choice-locked Dragons, and PixieSpeed gets incredibly dangerous after a boost or two, letting Hemo cleave through frailer teams like butter. Bitter Blade is an incredible asset for Hemo, giving him a powerful Fire STAB to break past the Corv, Glowking, and Libra that can stand up to ESpeed (that latter, that is, if you're faster) that also lets him heal off damage he may have taken while setting up. Hemogoblin had a fair amount of freedom in his fourth moveslot to boot; of course Knock Off is definitely the most consistent option, but I've seen shit like Moonlight and Tera Blast Ground put in tons of work as well. Hell, he even has a number of viable Tera types, with Fairy and Ground making him a massive immediate threat, and Water and Flying giving him valuable resistances to let him set up. All in all, Bulk Up Hemo is a really solid addition to the meta.

Does Hemogoblin need competitive-centered changes? If so, what would you like to see changed?

As far as I can tell, by some heavenly miracle, Hemogoblin is in a pretty decent spot right now. Does his job really well, and generally has enough power and bulk to beat the Mons he needs to. At this point, I'm not sure how much really needs to change about the little guy, if anything at all. He's sufficiently powerful and bulky to do what he needs to do, and even though 55 Speed is admitted horrendous, Hemo is able to shred so much of the offensive meta with BU + PixieSpeed + possible defensive Tera that it rarely even matters. You could argue that a slight stat boost to, for instance, naturally outspeed Libra would lessen the strain on EV spreads that Hemo has to contend with, but I'd argue that this is exactly what's to be expected from a bang-average Mon. Of course the Mon with decidedly subpar stats isn't gonna be able to get everything it wants out of its EV spread. It's simply a natural consequence of building a Pokemon with lackluster stats and arguably keeps Hemo in check more than anything.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Not too much discussion here, but it's been 24hrs so I'm gonna move things along and open up package submissions. Reminder that only move additions and removals, changes to secondary ability, and small stat changes are allowed for now. In order to have these implemented by July 2nd, we only have time for 48 hours of submissions, but it's not the end of the world if things really need to be extended once more.

---

As for what I personally want to see changed, I think that much of Hemogoblin's special movepool is totally unnecessary to the mon and should be cut. We tried a cool thing out, it didn't work, so let's clean it up. Some utility moves (Spikes) also fall into this category; like I talked about earlier in this thread, this is one of those options that was just us trying to ensure some kind of niche in case Home screwed us over, but this move and one or two others are very unnecessary as it stands.

Hemogoblin is almost perfect balance-wise in my book, especially considering the metagame hasn't had quite enough time to adapt, but the mon is still like 5% overtuned imo. If we want to address this, then I really, really advocate against touching its main moveset; all four of these moves are completely integral to how Hemogoblin operates and why it's so successful. I would probably just tune down stats a bit, either Attack or Special Defense. Hemogoblin's strong ESpeed invalidates a lot of offense builds, making the archetype fairly difficult to build and use consistently (though offense has other problems as well––it's not just Hemo), while its special bulk is surprisingly good and affords it a lot of longevity versus balance. Additionally, tuning down stats a small amount is not only the most sensible approach, competitively speaking, but it has the nice perk of further realizing our concept. I also would not object to leaving stats alone until PPL2, but I imagine at some point they'll still need a slight modification.

Imo Hemo landed fairly well but matchups can be annoying especially with hemo mirrors.
I also feel like it’s sustainability is a bit too good. After a bulk up, you can cheese through answers with bitter Blade as defensive answers often don’t hit hard enough to offset the recovery and offensive answers fall prey to espeed.
Imo there are two options to remedy this.

- remove bitter Blade

this would force bulk up sets to choose between Moonlight to be sustainable and coverage to break through answers. The player has to choose between a bulky win con that needs more team support to win games and make progress and a more offensive sweeper and breaker that needs to be careful with trading vs other mons.
Given its access to Fire Lash and Flare Blitz Hemo would still have great offensive fire move options to chose from.
This is a very heavy nerf but imo it wouldn’t gut Hemo and force more thought while building and plying with it.

- nerf SpD

This is is less heavy handed but also feels less like dealing with the actual issues that Hemo presents.
Still this offers an option for bulkier mons with SE coverage to deal with Hemo more effectively and improves counterplay vs a Bulked Up Goblin.
I don’t have exact benchmarks yet but making it even harder for goblin to allocate evs in the right place seems warranted given how much cheese potential Hemo has between Tera, Bulk up and Bitterblade.

Even though I wish we made a specially offensive fast boomburst pivot/breaker In addition to one of these changes I support the removal of any fluff, in this case anything that was part of special and intimidate pivot movesets including Boomburst, Fiery Dance, Volt Switch, Spikes and Taunt with a slight cosmetic nerf to Special Attack (-10/15) and the removal of intimidate (which should be replaced by a flavor ability imo).

I know the Bitter Blade removal might be controversial but i think that Hemo would still end up really good with the caveat that you can’t run the same bulk up bitter blade set on every team archetype.
Additionally afaik this is the first CAP that is supposed to have 2 PPL stages, which gives us the option to tread back in the events of an overtuned first PPL. While backpedaling is not ideal it is a possibility we can explore and imo reducing Hemo to its most barebones structure would be in line with the goals of this concept.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Gonna wing the structure for this:

WIP

Stat Changes: -8 Special Defense (97 > 89)

Movepool Removals: Boomburst, Fiery Dance, Volt Switch, Lava Plume, Spikes

Basically looking to do two things:

1. A minor stat nerf to Special Defense is mostly there to further the whole "our stats aren't where we want them to be" thing. Hemogoblin is able to stomach a lot of random hits for no good reason: you can legit live a Krilowatt Surf from full with just 8 HP and 60 Special Defense EVs, which is barely any investment given Hemo only needs a little speed to run past what it wants to. Dropping down to 89 SpDef increases this investment to 8 HP 128 SpDef. This is a significant increase in the amount you need to invest, and is only for one singular matchup. As for 89 specifically, that's our Defense stat, so I thought it'd be cute to have them match.

2. Remove the largely unused, sorta fishy, and generally districting elements in our movepool. Boomburst and Fiery Dance were given out specifically to bolster the strength of our Special Movepool, which needed it if you wanted to compete with Physical sets, which packed priority and healing into our strong STABs instead of needing to eat up a slot doing so. With Special sets largely irrelevant, I find no reason to commit to these anymore. Let Hemogoblin stay concise. Volt Switch and Lava Plume also don't really jive with me: the former is from our long-dead plans for a pivot, and Lava Plume is simply asking people to use the Intimidate set that really isn't worth it. We don't need Spikes either, this mon has enough ways to pressure checks and I'm even preserving Taunt if Knock Off isn't enough for you. Meta could probably use less Spikers if I'm gonna be honest.

Unrelated to above but I am not against -Bitter Blade. It's an incredible move that lets Hemogoblin preserve moveslots and just hit pretty hard, but does contribute to the whole "how do I kill this thing" problem. I don't think it'd be a huge loss: Fire Lash is still hella good on us, perhaps undervalued right now. If people have concerns about this being too much of a nerf, just like bump Speed somewhere below 60 so you spend less EVs outrunning Libra and Corv or whatever.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I like the SpDef cut, 89 would be satisfactory for me.

Bitter Blade is very integral to Hemogoblin's current gameplan. I am more opposed to seeing it removed, but agree with schnotchnor that if we were to pursue that it would be appropriate to offset it with more Speed. Fire Lash over Bitter Blade lends to more of a "breaker" role that doesn't tank nearly as well, so the extra speed helps rebalance the less survivability.

I am indifferent to the removal of special moves or Special Attack.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Remove knock, solidifies Heatran as counter play before tera, cuts down on tera fairy sets cause you need more coverage in blast, makes the mon overall much nicer to deal with pre tera, glowking becomes a lot more consistent into it.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hey, I feel like the existence of the special set, and whether we wanna preserve it as a whole is sorta a separate deal from any power level discussion primarily looking at the physical set. I'd ask that we poll any changes on that side separately from any changes on the physical side.

As for changes on the physical side, I'm really in favor of just touching stats as a whole. Whether that's cutting base attack to force it to rely more on tera Fairy to actually Rkill stuff, cuts to spdef to reduce the effective HP drain of Bitter Blade, or well, more general stuff, stats feels more faithful to the concept. That said, I'm not really against cutting Knock, as it really does complicate counterplay.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd ask that we poll any changes on that side separately from any changes on the physical side.
I feel like this ends up as unproductive as secondary ability discussion/poll. The discussion I've seen about the special set has been about keeping it or removing it in its entirety. If we are polling whether to not have something or have it, we tend to vote in favor of preservation. I could see more of a case for this if the desire was to just retune the special spread, but not here.

----------

Stat Changes:
-9 Attack (99 -> 90)
-8 Special Defense (97 -> 89)
+8 Speed (55 -> 63)

Movepool Removals:
-Boomburst
-Fiery Dance
-Volt Switch

The idea of this list is that these are the moves that have next to no bearing on the mon, so their mandatory inclusion means nothing. These moves will no longer be required in our movepool, but they will also not be explicity disallowed should movepool creators care to maintain them.

-Double-Edge
-Explosion
-Fire Lash
-Lava Plume
-Moonlight
-Psychic
-Psyshock
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Thunder
-Thunderbolt
-Wild Charge
-Zen Headbutt

Will elaborate on this more later (probably wont have time) but here are the general ideas:
  • Attack reduction makes benchmarks to OHKO at +0 and +1 versus a handful of targets significantly worse and requires near full EVs + adamant to even have a chance. (Equilibra, Amoonguss, Great Tusk, and Slowking-Galar at +1) (Walking Wake at +0)
  • Speed increase + SpD reduction is a lateral move. The EV investment you would want for your minimum speed tier is no longer a strain on the spread, but the SpD reduction now requires that investment to roughly maintain current bulk bench marks. Should you neglect this SpD reduction, then something like the Kril calc Shnow provided comes into play.
  • Removal of the special set

99 Atk Calcs
+1 252+ Atk Hemogoblin Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Equilibra: 360-426 (88.2 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Hemogoblin Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 396-468 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Hemogoblin Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 338-398 (91.1 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Tera Fairy Hemogoblin Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 452-536 (104.1 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Hemogoblin Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Slowking-Galar: 340-402 (86.2 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Hemogoblin Extreme Speed vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 308-366 (90 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

90 Atk Calcs
+1 252+ Atk Hemogoblin Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Equilibra: 338-398 (82.8 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Hemogoblin Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 372-438 (86.1 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Hemogoblin Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 318-374 (85.7 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Tera Fairy Hemogoblin Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 428-504 (98.6 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Hemogoblin Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Slowking-Galar: 318-376 (80.7 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Hemogoblin Extreme Speed vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 290-344 (84.7 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)