CAP 33 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP
tiamatangel.png

made a proper render for my tiamat sea angel! with multiscale as the chosen ability i wanted to give it loosely reptilian elements as well as an armored underside. i may change this up a bit more for the final submission but i am happy with how it's looking so far
modelsheet.png
and some model sheet bits

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Klabautermann
, or those ship guys you only know about because of One Piece, are baltic sea kobolds known for helping out sailors and fishermen, repairing watercraft and helping them onboard! Kobolds are a type of fairy or sprite, although modern D&D type interpretations lean more towards them being reptiles (which worked well since I wanted this to work even with a more conservative interpretation of Multiscale), and this Pokemon's whole ethos revolves around helping people, which lends towards Fairy's kind nature. It's also of course a sea captain, the interpretation is open but maybe it has the experience to boss around smaller people or Pokemon.

A whimsy foam coats this Pokemon, including its tail, which it fashions into tools to help around the ship. This salty solution also ties to this Pokemon's animal theme, since it's specifically a marine iguana, which are known to sneeze salt that accumulates in their dives!

WIP

1696348102881.png

After days and weeks of consideration, I've decided with the help of the community to use the opah design as my final submission. It's been a long process for me this time around, and I'm glad we're nearing the end. The final sub will look close to this but in a more official-looking render. Thank you guys so much for sticking with me throughout this whole thing, I wouldn't be here without y'all <3

Last edited:
Final Submission
BobKingOfSeagulls-CAP33-FS.jpg

Overall Design: This design is a shoal/swarm of Shrimp (generic, no particular species) that form the shape of a whale (a predator of shrimp) in order to contain an inner rainbow light.

Justification:
  • Water Type: It is a collection of shrimp (aquatic species) in the shape of a whale (aquatic species) with wave-like features.
  • Fairy Type: There are species of shrimp such as the rainbow shrimp and fairy shrimp, which these evoke, as well as the use of light and colour as a part of the design (the inner light/light that escapes as fins and the water spout).
  • Bulky: It is a collection of many creatures (hence more bulk than a single creature) in the shape of a whale (one large bulky creature).
  • Fast: Shoals of ocean organisms and known to be made or a large number of small, agile, and speedy creatures.
  • Multiscale: Here the 'scales' the ability makes use of are the many shrimp itself, multiscale being lost represents the exposure of the inner light.

Heya mods, let me know if the coloured outline is distinct enough to be valid.

WIP
cap33-main.png

this guy's based off the blue glaucus, a sea critter with a pretty striking appearance. the appendages off the limbs are arranged to resemble little pixies/fairies like you'd see in the zelda series, and they can line up outward almost like a claw (think how drilbur's hands look) either for offensive purposes or to be compact for the sake of faster swimming. the pearly bits/scales were originally connected like a constellation but looked too cluttered.
cap33-ref.png
(this linked image shows the top and bottom for a better idea of its patterns / physiology)

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Updated design with a sleaker build, now moreso based on a sailor more than a captain, but still a maritime fairy based on the klabautermann! I think having a gradient effect on the seafoam is both really pretty and fits well with modern generation conventions, I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts <3

WIP

Cleaned up the lineart with a couple of tweaks; the glowing star-like markings are a reference to how some sharks have bioluminescence, but I don't know if they're out of place or not. If I decide to keep them, I may have to darken the outlines so they stand out a bit more. I may also give the coral pipe a colored outline of its own, for a similar reason.

I'll see if I can make supporting sketches as well probably sometime this weekend if possible!

10/5 ADDENDUM: Base color has now been added! I also changed the glowy stuff from yellow to red for color consistency and because red light is sometimes used by some deep-sea predatory fish to avoid detection. Here's what the lineart version with yellow glowy stuff looked like:
https://i.imgur.com/6Ldkd8F.png

And yes, if you're wondering, all the colors were indeed sourced from Gura's official ref art. Sorry, couldn't resist! XD

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
WIP

colorref33.png

final stages of color for the emperor ray. i committed to some fairy-tale esque reds/purples to complement the golds, while also going for a bit more of a maleficent sort of vibe w/ the shapes. this won't be the final pose/art since i dont think it captures the personality i want the final render to have, and the linework is also insanely crude, but this is a general lowdown for the colors which im feeling pretty good about.

backref33.pngposeref33.png

Modedit: Changing oversized images to thumbnails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission
640.png

Design Thematics include:
Pangolin + Conch Shell, Thalassocus (Aquatic Sloth) ~ Bear/Teddy Bear, the Magic Conch from Spongebob that has a pull string, Jigsaw Puzzle

So I, did the Whale Submarine guy before I realized the ability was Multiscale, and suddenly all the scale designs made sense.. (Also sorry I didn't know shinies were voted on later!) At first I wanted to go with a Korean Turtle Ship design; they're armored (Defensive) and cited to be surprisingly fast due to being powered by both oars & sails (Speed!!) which was a perfect fit for the theme. However, Naviathan from CAP 20 is already a Dragony-Boat design; + I had a hard time getting the mon to look more Fairy and less Dragon.

I tried morphing the ship's figurehead into different animals, a turtle, into a platypus kind of guy, and it just looked really weird. So I focused on the shell... the turtle ship has very distinct hexagonal plates that I was using as "scales", I then thought of a Pangolin + Conch... like.. a turtle is a dude in a shell... so.. a different dude, in a different shell... I wanted to draw the conch in a way that the shell looked layered & scaley, & incorporated Thalassocus elements to better sell the idea of an aquatic Pangolin ??

My first rendition was unfortunately very ugly, and I went back to redesign with a more "Fairy" image in mind.. I rounded the Pangolin/Sloth's face to look cuter and it ended up turning into a Seal -> more like a Bear now... but Bears swim too so- I continued. The design already had Toy elements from the Conch pull-string; and I decided to further that, turning the shell into a layered jigsaw puzzle. Teddy Bear + Puzzle + Pull Toy, is where the Fairy themes come in; I didn't want to play too much into a Plush Bear image because Bewear already occupies that role.

It ended up a little busy, a little weird, and I'm not sure what vibe it really expresses;; I could have gone for more Blue colors; but Cubchoo/Beartic are already Blue Bears, and I wanted the Puzzle pieces to look more like traditional conch colors you might pick up at the beach. I decided to go with red which ended up making the shell resemble a Life Preserver too. I looked at it again and the Cubchoo line is mostly white!! And the black makes it clash with Pangoro, I really liked the blue anyway so I turned it back!! And made the puzzle pieces orange, which I think life preservers are orange sometimes? So it might still fit + conch shells often naturally have orange stripes so I think I'm happy with these colors now.

The Puzzle Shell armor is supposed to grant the animal defensive bulk (Multiscale), and the ring on the tail to give it burst of Speed when pulled. I can see the design pairing well with Play Rough & Encore/Taunt from the required moves.. (just my personal opinion!! I understand everything is voted on in polls)

Supporting Material
rewsize.png additionalll.png

Last edited:
WIP
froggosmallins.jpg

Obviously it's a frog/prince fairytale situation. The turtle-shell/cape provides protection and the long frog legs provide speed.
I'm not sure I'll have enough time (and talent) to make a proper version, but since I had this idea I decided to post it here.
Happy to receive feedback.
I also tried a slightly different design and colored it weirdly for some reason: froggysmalls.jpg

uppa

did i play well ?
is a Top Artist
Final Submission
33uppababycompressed.jpg

A little feather star friend. It has eight-way radial symmetry across its body and can even do a flip. It's a different take on a crinoid mon, as the only one we have currently is cradily. I really fell in love with the concept of flipping a crinoid's anatomy upside down, with its roots on its head and branches as its legs. A lot of inspiration was taken from the design conventions of other fairy types that lack super in-depth origins, like ribombee and shiinotic, and trying to perfect a design without the constraints of highly specific "lore". It was also fun to challenge myself with giving this complex creature a realistic, but dynamic pose. A huge thanks to Woomy Nation for egging me on through my design process and pushing me to bring out the best of the concept I went with.

Supporting Material

33refsheet.jpg

Here's a high-res version with a few extra facial expressions. Not too fancy, but I do think it's worth checking out the uncompressed piece.

Final Submission
CAP33_FINALSub.PNG

:blobnom: moony fish
I went with the moorish idol fish design since it's one of the most recognizable tropical fish you'd see in popular media and beach design themes (Finding Nemo's Gill also comes to mind ^3^)
I integrated the moorish idol's flat disc shape and body patterns with a crescent moon for a sort of moon/night theme, with the tail fin, antenna, and snout being stars for the Fairy typing. To avoid it looking too plain as "moorish idol fish but as a Pokemon with a moon theme" I crossed it over with that of a sea dragon to make it stand out more and look sleeker. Also kinda looks like a bunny if you squint hard enough :3
I kinda took some inspiration from Flygon for the star sunglasses/goggles over the eyes, to give it that tropical theme and because it looked cool ☆u☆ the cover over the eyes and even the moon pattern glow in the dark as an added bonus.

Supporting Material
A few little doodles, including one as an explanation for it being able to use moves like Thunder Wave or Nuzzle and that the little curly Q can uncurl itself
cap33_SupportingArtv2.png tropical_paradise.png
Link to the original size image

WIP

A (somewhat) giant enemy crab (will explain inspirations when it’s done)
Untitled891_20231006185650.png

Modedit: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Final Submission
”Giant Enemy Crab”
Untitled893_20231006191422.png
Basically, this is a boxing crab that skitters across the bottom of the sea and fights others for territory. It’s based on those crabs that use anemones as pom-poms to fend off attackers. The idea is that this Pokémon is able to hold up its anemone boxing gloves to protect and act as a wall, and maybe they could shoot out toxic spikes if it is supposed to be a wall. Maybe the gloves could extend their tentacles and attack. I don’t know, this is my second submission for a CAP project but I’d really like to see what happens next!

Modedit: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Modedit: Joining double-posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)