CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumptuous... the ability of a pokemon makes up just as much how competetive a pokemon is as its stats/movepool/typing. As doug also said a previous post, KNOWINGLY giving it a worthless ability is like giving it shit stats, or the worst typing in the game, or no viable movepool to speak of.
I'm not going to continue on this because I don't like arguing with people, but I still disagree. It may sound like I'm trying to invent hamburger glasses, but for "variety" reasons I don't support giving a good ability to every Pokémon we make. I really think we are capable of making a Pokemon with just a "decent" ability every once in a while without having to drop it in BL or UU ( note that this means I never suggested crappy abilities, that was other people's ideas that I chose not to argue with. I merely suggested "not great" ones ).

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess that's true, but I had just assumed that since this is already going to have difficulty fitting all of the moves we want it to get in a movepool, that Baton Passing was low on the priority list for Utility moves.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually think I did not emphasize Baton Pass at all when discussing my concept.

In fact, I went so far as to specifically state that I did not want Baton Pass on this. Let me see if I can find the relevant logs.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not going to continue on this because I don't like arguing with people, but I still disagree. It may sound like I'm trying to invent hamburger glasses, but for "variety" reasons I don't support giving a good ability to every Pokémon we make. I really think we are capable of making a Pokemon with just a "decent" ability every once in a while without having to drop it in BL or UU ( note that this means I never suggested crappy abilities, that was other people's ideas that I chose not to argue with. I merely suggested "not great" ones ).
I agree. I do not want to see a worthless ability on this pokemon, or any CAP pokemon. However, I don't think we have to give it a great ability either.

Pyroak is a good example of a pokemon with decent abilities, but nothing outstanding. Revenankh is loaded with two great abilities. Although I don't think any of us expected ShedRest to be as good as it turned out. Syclant has two fantastic abilities as well. But, I still think Syclant needs Mountaineer to be viable.

So, I think we can give this great abilities or just OK abilities. But let's not give it a worthless ability.

Then the problems comes with how do we know what is considered decent on this pokemon. I think vital spirit is an amazing ability on something that is already immune to paralysis and poison, it is meant to be a utility pokemon not a status absorber at the end of the day.
I am also not convinced that frisk will be that good on this, most things that have debatable items this thing cannot really switch in to.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Having both Persistent and Unaware would give this the personality of an extremely annoying gangly friend.

I like it. >_>

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hrm... here's the abilities I'm thinking of taking to the poll:

Vital Spirit
Forewarn
Frisk
Iron Fist - Would mandate elemental punches/some other punching move in the movepool
Klutz
Poison Point
Tangled Feet
Steadfast

Unaware
Persistent - When the Pokemon with this ability uses any of the following moves: Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind/Heal Block/Safeguard, their duration is increased by 2 turns.

Anything I've "forgotten" (chances are I've already concidered it), or anything people think should/shouldn't be in there. Some would mandate certain moves and such (Skill Link) which I wasn't too keen to lock into the movepool, although I guess they could always be fillers we still want to shy away from them.

Forewarn over Anticipation.

Iron Fist seems rather pointless. It's forcing punches onto the moveset (though honestly, I don't see it not getting at least one of those anyway... likely Mach Punch or Bullet Punch), and giving a utility Pokemon an attack based ability. Let Hitmonchan keep his exclusive ability.

Otherwise it looks fine.

Persistent - Gives a 2 turn boost to Gravity, Trick Room, Tailwind, Heal Block and Safeguard. That was right wasn't it?
Yes, and here's a more in-depth description of it.

Persistent- When the Pokemon with this ability uses any of the following moves: Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind/Heal Block/Safeguard, their duration is increased by 2 turns.

Basically, you still have to USE the move, this isn't auto set up... It doesn't stack. Trick Room/Gravity/Heal Block/Safeguard get bumped up to seven turns, and Tailwind gets bumped up to the standard 5.
Anything I've "forgotten" (chances are I've already considered it), or anything people think should/shouldn't be in there. Some would mandate certain moves and such (Skill Link) which I wasn't too keen to lock into the movepool, although I guess they could always be fillers we still want to shy away from them.
Also there are some forgotten abilities, but most are new ability suggestions and I believe having Persistent is more than enough new ability on the poll.

I actually think I did not emphasize Baton Pass at all when discussing my concept.

In fact, I went so far as to specifically state that I did not want Baton Pass on this. Let me see if I can find the relevant logs.
But what helps your teammates more than passing stats along? ;p

If BP was implemented, I wouldn't want any offensive or defensive boosting moves with it, only Block and Substitute (MAYBE Agility) and that'd be it.

the thing is X acts guide recommends only 6 competitive viable moves maybe we could give some leeway, but having a utility as common as baton pass taking up a valuable space is a waste

we don't have to give this pokemon a freakin insane ability, lets just give it what sounds best.
8 legs? tangled feet fits this pokemon PERFECT, but it seems a lot of you deny it because it won't make the pokemon any better. the pokemon is already good enough.
if we ARE bent on giving this pokemon a utility ability, why not make one that actually fits him AND works well?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I never said that Unaware is a crap ability...

The ones I was specifically referring to were

Tangled Feet
Anticipation
Anger Point
Hustle
Soundproof

Those ones I find to be incredibly useless not just on this Pokemon, but on pokemon in general.

Don't misquote me into saying that I think that all abilities that aren't Persistent are shit. That's not what I'm saying... In fact, I have expressed a liking in Vital Spirit/Disarm both of which further the main purpose of this Pokemon, UTILITY.

The other abilities I said weren't in going with the theme "utility", which they aren't.
Soundproof isn't shit. Infact, Mr. Mime with Soundproof can serve as a decent Syclant counter because it's Immune to Bug Buzz, resists Focus Blast, and has a high SpD to back it all up.

Iron Fist is pointless on this because it's special based. I don't think we want to lock this in as a heavy physical movepool.

As for tangled feet, this doesn't HAVE feet.

Where the hell did Steadfast come from?

The rest are fine.

There are very few moves that even trigger soundproof. This is a list of things that are even seen in OU and even some of these are very rare.

Bug Buzz- Scylant who unless Speced will just destroy you with ice beam, Yanmega is hardly something that you can switch this in to

Heal Bell- Blissey uses Aroma,Celebi sets very rare

Perish song- Some rare gimmicky Gengar/Celebi/Missy sets

Metal Sound-Does anyone even use MS Zapdos

Roar- OK but then again this thing shouldn't be getting stat ups and things like Hippodown and Suicune will just beat you with SE Stab hits instead.

So soundproof is pretty much useless

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wasn't suggesting that we should put it on the poll, I was responding to Lonely Ness that it wasn't useless. It has its uses.

This isn't very helpful, but I could see it getting Sticky Hold or Sand Veil.

Sticky Hold because it's got sludge coming out of it's hands. Sand Veil because it kind of blends with it's orangish color.

tennisace

So you want more hax? I really don't want Sand Veil anywhere NEAR this thing, thats the only really "broken" ability suggested.

...It could be worse.

I woudn't vote for it regardless, I was just pointing out how it fit more than some of the other suggested abilities.

if this thing got sand veil i would never come back to the CAP forum again. i wouldn't even lurk.
LETS MAKE A GOOD ABILITY FOR HIM.

i got one, now, wearing down the opponets team is great, right? it could definately qualify as a utility ability (stealth rocks much?).
Name: stalker/quick hands/??? (halp with the name)- If a pokemon switches out while this pokemon is in play, they lose 10% health.
Details: daddy long legs reacts when the pokemon is about to switch (help me think of something reasonable) and hits them. it's perfect to kill off sashes without stealth rocks. if a pokemon is low, you can make it hesitate to switch and get an easy setup, AND, the ability fits the spider because of his 8 hands!

what do you guys think? tweak it, and pleease give me some suggestions on anything about this ability, because im really enthusiastic about this ability. it's my favourite so far.

I have an ability in mind... ^^;

1) Mug/Sleight (as in 'sleight of hand') - When this pokemon is not holding any item, it steals the effects of the opponent's held item. (Similar to Snatch)

Sand Veil isn't a broken ability, it's only seem that way because of Chomp's sturdiness, and the fact people are naturally ticked off when they lose due to luck.

Name: stalker/quick hands/Parting Gift (help with the name)- If a Pokemon switches out while this Pokemon is in play, they lose 10% health.
Details: daddy long legs reacts when the Pokemon is about to switch (help me think of something reasonable) and hits them. it's perfect to kill off sashes without stealth rocks. if a Pokemon is low, you can make it hesitate to switch and get an easy setup, AND, the ability fits the spider because of his 8 hands!
Sounds like an auto-pursuit, just with a percentage instead. To me, it seem useful, though it's probably too offensive for an Utility, but then there are some offensive utilities out there.

1) Mug/Sleight (as in 'sleight of hand') - When this Pokemon is not holding any item, it steals the effects of the opponent's held item. (Similar to Snatch)
Does it steal/copy the entire effect(s) of a item or only the positive ones?

The entire effects. Good or bad. (unless you want to tweak it a little... ahem.) And Parting Gift is a better name, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)